PDA

View Full Version : Computer Geeks - Can you help me out? (Broadband & Routers)

StoneChucker
8th November 2006, 17:31
Hey guys

I have something which I don't quite know how to sort out myself, can you give me the answer or ideas? It's quite detailed, so I'll try keep it as short as I can:

I currently have broadband internet with
ihug (their top "Broadband 4" plan), but am experiencing regular
connection drops and a general reduction in the average
speed I get, which are both new issues. I have decided to
change over to TelstraClears' "LightSpeed 40 (or 80) Residential
High Speed Cable Internet" as that will be up to 4 times
faster than what I get at best on ADSL, and it will be alot
more stable.

I currently connect my main laptop to my wireless ADSL router (D-Link DSL-G604T) using an ethernet cable, and my second laptop connects using
a wireless connection. I also have a third laptop in the house, which
connects wirelessly as well. TelstraClear tell me I can
"piggy-back" / connect the wireless router to their cable
modem once it is installed. This is my preference, as apart
from setting up my current wireless router to connect to the
new cable modem (instead of to ihug via my telephone line),
everything will stay how it is now, making this alot easier. However, I don't think they realised that my current wireless router is an ADSL router - I'm not sure if the two are compatible (Cable to ADSL router to PC?).

I have a web-based setup utility to configure my current
wireless router (D-Link DSL-G604T). I don't know for sure how to change the wireless router's settings to connect to the new cable modem, and get
the connection from there, and not from ihug anymore. The
wireless router has alot of settings, including adsl address
and username and password info, etc, but I won't need that
because the new cable modem will connect to TelstraClear using its settings. So the wireless router only needs to connect and pickup the
connection from the new cable modem, but keep all the other wireless router settings (MAC address of computer network cards authorised to access
the router, as it has security on it), etc... However, this may not even be an issue if I can't use the wireless router.

TelstraClear only provide the one cable modem (no other choices), for a single PC connection. They tell me wireless router setup is easy, but they don't support / help with it.

Can the D-Link DSL-G604T ADSL Wireless Router connect to a CABLE modem and route the traffic as normal? My current wireless ADSL router has a telephone in jack, and 4 ethernet out ports, and obviously the wireless out. I don't see any way to plug in a data cable from the new cable modem.

I think I need to buy a new router, one designed for cable modems. If this is the case, any suggestions? I'm sure it's alot easier than I'm making it out to be. All help / ideas appreciated.

Thanks heaps.
Dave.

jrandom
8th November 2006, 17:42
Someone needs to volunteer to go round to Dave's place and make it all work.

I would, but I don't live in the same surburb.

crashe
8th November 2006, 17:45
Hey Stonechucker........ gee I have no idea......
But I reckon one of the Wellington crew could pop around to sort it all out for you....

Good to see you popping onto KB alot more now...

Mole_C
8th November 2006, 17:50
Im guessing it would work fine, might have to change a few settings but i don't know which ones. Just get them, hook them up and see, if not biff it at the wall. That always gets rid of any technical problems

bobsmith
8th November 2006, 18:49
depends, what's the output from the cable modem? is it a ethernet connection? Other than that I'd have to have a look at a manual for your modem do you have one in PDF?

StoneChucker
8th November 2006, 19:01
I've done a little layman's research, it looks like I'll need a new wireless router. The ones I found all have a ethernet input port (specifying it for a cable modem input, the difference from my current router), as well as an extra 4 ethernet output ports (like my current router) and then wireless obviously. For those that know, I've picked the following so far as options:

D-Link DI-624 (http://www.dlink.co.nz/Products.aspx?Sec=1&Sub1=18&Sub2=43&PID=62)
D-Link DI-784 (http://www.dlink.co.nz/Products.aspx?Sec=1&Sub1=18&Sub2=45&PID=66)
D-Link DI-634M (http://www.dlink.co.nz/Products.aspx?Sec=1&Sub1=18&Sub2=46&PID=63) and the
D-Link DIR-635 (http://www.dlink.co.nz/Products.aspx?Sec=1&Sub1=18&Sub2=73&PID=273)

I'm 99.9% sure, from the descriptions and info, that all of those are exactly what I need to connect my upcoming cable modem to, to provide the setup I currently have, so I'm just going to choose one and order it (so it's here for this coming Tuesday). I'm pissed off that ihug are not up to scratch, I hate change.

I think I have sort of answered my own question. The new wireless router will have a manual, which I'm sure I'll work out... So that's hopefully sorted. Please point out any obvious mistakes should you be in possession of such knowledge:dodge:

MOTOXXX
8th November 2006, 19:03
how many ports does the wirelss router have?

if it has more than 1 LAN ports then should be sweet.

i have mine setup to a dlink di-704p router with an 802.11g access point also using telsra cable modem.

StoneChucker
8th November 2006, 19:04
depends, what's the output from the cable modem? is it a ethernet connection? Other than that I'd have to have a look at a manual for your modem do you have one in PDF?

That's a good point, I better check with TelstraClear before I order a router. All the ones I listed presume the cable modem outputs an ethernet connection. Surely it must, that's the standard of today isn't it?

My current router only has an RJ-11 telephone jack input for the telephone line in. Then 4 RJ-45 ethernet output ports, and the wireless capability. No option/place for any input, apart from the phone line.

MOTOXXX
8th November 2006, 19:28
the telstra ones are a motarolla cable modem. they have a usb and ethernet port on them

Wasp
8th November 2006, 20:03
sc, if you come pick me up and drop me off i'll do it for you for free.

also interested in buying your wireless adsl router if you decide to sell it.

simply using the adsl/wireles router as a switch and disabling the adsl side of it will work, your setup will look like this.

outside -> cable modem -> out cable modem ethernet -> linksys wireless adsl -> out via ethernet and wireless

GR81
8th November 2006, 20:11
it will work fine...
make sure your cable modem is all up and running and then plug (using a RJ45 cable) the modem into the router using only the network ports, not the WAN port.
make sure your wireless router is set to PPoE and not to PPoA and you should be away laughing ;)

it sounds so simple doesnt it ;)
i guess its what i do for a job tho :D

bobsmith
8th November 2006, 20:35
What g81 said. Just disable the adsl on your router so that it doesn't keep trying to connect and annoy freaks like me who wants everything set up neatly.

Also make sure that it is an ethernet modem when you order your cable modem.

m99dws
8th November 2006, 20:48
I had a bit of grief when setting Telstra with a wireless router should have been simple. It was, after sleeping.

The router just needs to have the static IP supplied by Telstra, and run DHCP on the client side. You can connect as many wireless clients as your router can manage. I went for the Linksys kit and touch wood, it's great - no drops in signal anywhere in the house or if I go next door or in the garden.

Telstra won't supply wireless routers or offer any support, so if you get stuck I'm sure someone here will visit and setup for a beer.

make sure your wireless router is set to PPoE and not to PPoA and you should be away laughing ;)

it sounds so simple doesnt it ;)
i guess its what i do for a job tho :D

The Linksys WR54G won't connect using PPoE, just set as static and works fine.

Gremlin
8th November 2006, 23:36
I would have said start with the basics... find the root cause of your adsl connection problems, unless you just want to go to cable.

Frequent disconnections could be something common like the lines being worked on (but wouldn't affect it over a long period of time), the router, or a fault in the line...

Pass on cable... haven't used that yet...

Street Gerbil
9th November 2006, 07:18
I had a similar problem. After a few days of fruitless copulation with my brains, adsl modem, and NetGear wireless router I gave up, bought a wireless adsl box from turdme and happily remain connected ever since.

scracha
9th November 2006, 07:48
604T is pretty much plug in and play with ADSL but it's probably best left to an "expert" to configure it as a bridge. If you can get to the control panel (http://192.168.1.1 (default) or http://10.1.1.1 (Xtra) you could try turning off DHCP & DNS relay and changing the IP range & subnet mask to match your cable modem. There's no uplink port on a 604T so plugging it in to any of the ethernet ports will do the trick. You shouldn't have to arse about with static routing.

MrMelon
9th November 2006, 08:34
I would have said start with the basics... find the root cause of your adsl connection problems, unless you just want to go to cable.

Frequent disconnections could be something common like the lines being worked on (but wouldn't affect it over a long period of time), the router, or a fault in the line...

Pass on cable... haven't used that yet...

Cable's so much better than adsl :D You actually get good speeds both ways and don't have to fight for bandwidth and worry about shitty phone lines! You can also get plans that have unlimited national traffic too through other isp's using the cable network like xnet.

Did you get your router sorted Dave?
If you want the best price on a wireless router, then have a look here http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_18.html#g78

StoneChucker
9th November 2006, 18:44
Thanks heaps for the replies, I appreciate every drop of knowledge.

Even though I now see that I could have used my current D-Link DSL-G604T ADSL Wireless Router for what I want, I hastily ordered a new router. Never mind though, it's bigger, better, and shinierererer:rockon:

I got the D-Link DIR-635 RangeBooster N 650 (http://www.dlink.co.nz/Products.aspx?Sec=1&Sub1=18&Sub2=73&PID=273). It is designed for the exact uses I want, that being internet gaming, VoIP (Skype internet telephone), security, printer sharing, etc... Although, my current ADSL router shares network printers, the new router is also a 108 Mbps wireless router, not 54Mbps like the old ADSL one. Every little bit helps....

I think I'll be alright with the setup. The TelstraClear technician will install the cable modem. All I have to do is plug the cable modem's ethernet out into the new routers "cable in" ethernet port, and connect my main laptop to one of the ethernet ports on the router's hub (hardwired). Finally use the web-based setup utility for the router, setup my security and add all the MAC addresses of the NIC's of all the computers allowed access, check that all the wireless laptops can access the router. Lastly, add the network printers MAC address, and check all the settings and I should be home and dry. Don't worry, if I need assistance after that I'll definitely take up the kind offers here.

Thanks again guys.
Dave.

PS: I'm not sure if I'm going to sell the ADSL wireless router, if I do though I check in here and let the interested parties know.

ajturbo
9th November 2006, 19:29
Hey guys

I have something which I don't quite know how to sort out myself, can you give me the answer or ideas? It's quite detailed, so I'll try keep it as short as I can:

I currently have broadband internet with
ihug (their top "Broadband 4" plan), but am experiencing regular
connection drops and a general reduction in the average
speed I get, which are both new issues. I have decided to
change over to TelstraClears' "LightSpeed 40 (or 80) Residential
High Speed Cable Internet" as that will be up to 4 times
faster than what I get at best on ADSL, and it will be alot
more stable.

I currently connect my main laptop to my wireless ADSL router (D-Link DSL-G604T) using an ethernet cable, and my second laptop connects using
a wireless connection. I also have a third laptop in the house, which
connects wirelessly as well. TelstraClear tell me I can
"piggy-back" / connect the wireless router to their cable
modem once it is installed. This is my preference, as apart
from setting up my current wireless router to connect to the
new cable modem (instead of to ihug via my telephone line),
everything will stay how it is now, making this alot easier. However, I don't think they realised that my current wireless router is an ADSL router - I'm not sure if the two are compatible (Cable to ADSL router to PC?).

I have a web-based setup utility to configure my current
wireless router (D-Link DSL-G604T). I don't know for sure how to change the wireless router's settings to connect to the new cable modem, and get
the connection from there, and not from ihug anymore. The
wireless router has alot of settings, including adsl address
and username and password info, etc, but I won't need that
because the new cable modem will connect to TelstraClear using its settings. So the wireless router only needs to connect and pickup the
connection from the new cable modem, but keep all the other wireless router settings (MAC address of computer network cards authorised to access
the router, as it has security on it), etc... However, this may not even be an issue if I can't use the wireless router.

TelstraClear only provide the one cable modem (no other choices), for a single PC connection. They tell me wireless router setup is easy, but they don't support / help with it.

Can the D-Link DSL-G604T ADSL Wireless Router connect to a CABLE modem and route the traffic as normal? My current wireless ADSL router has a telephone in jack, and 4 ethernet out ports, and obviously the wireless out. I don't see any way to plug in a data cable from the new cable modem.

I think I need to buy a new router, one designed for cable modems. If this is the case, any suggestions? I'm sure it's alot easier than I'm making it out to be. All help / ideas appreciated.

Thanks heaps.
Dave.

throw a BIG brick at it...

m99dws
9th November 2006, 20:05
the new router is also a 108 Mbps wireless router, not 54Mbps like the old ADSL one. Every little bit helps.....

Unfortunately this only helps if your card is N, as G cards will still only run at 54mb. I presume you are buying an N card to take advantage of the speed increase? If not it won't make any difference.

scracha
9th November 2006, 20:30
I got the D-Link DIR-635 RangeBooster N 650 (http://www.dlink.co.nz/Products.aspx?Sec=1&Sub1=18&Sub2=73&PID=273). It is designed for the exact uses I want, that being internet gaming, VoIP (Skype internet telephone), security, printer

I dunno...if you'd said to one of us geeks you were going to buy something..... A TPlink TL-WR642G would have done the job.. 108Mbps and pretty much plug in and play for 100 bucks.

Wasp
9th November 2006, 21:01
would you get a better signal strength by using a n accesspoint with a g card versus a g and g?

m99dws
9th November 2006, 21:10
G cards will only connect upto 54mb regardless of router speed.

Wasp
9th November 2006, 21:25
yes, i know.

answer the question please, or do you mean that it wont change?

MrMelon
9th November 2006, 22:22
I doubt the range or signal strength would change since it's in essence just using 2 54Mb signals in parallell in N mode. So using a G card you'd just use one of those signals which would be the same as any other G signal.

Still good stuff Stoney looks pretty flash and more gadgets are always good :D

scracha
10th November 2006, 00:26
Having had a play shifting files accross the network I'd say the signal from the N routers are better which results in less dropped packets and more speed....this is when connected to a "g" PCMCIA card. Could just be the router is more modern tho? MIMO routers are supposedly faster, especially with multiple devices but are still pretty pricey.

All of this is pointless anyway as the wifi speed is still heaps quicker than the broadband speed.

The real fun is finding wifi repeaters that work properly. Phone call to D-Link Aus/NZ last week and after speaking to 3 people they couldn't tell me exactly which cards would work with their own repeater. Hopeless. IEEE or summit should publish some interoperability chart.

I'm surprised some enterprising kiwi isn't manufacturing cheap "home brew" external parabolic antennas.

OMG...I wrote "heaps" so I must be turning Kiwi.

Gremlin
10th November 2006, 00:30
"N" routers and everything like that are brand specific, and they are all based off the G protocols, just modified in different ways etc. This means that to gain any performance, you have to buy everything from one brand.

I sooo can't be fucked with wireless etc, and I prefer the ease and speed of gigabit lan. Now I just need a blasted decent internet connection...

GR81
10th November 2006, 15:56
If you want the best price on a wireless router, then have a look here http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_18.html#g78
wrong! you ask me nicely and get one even cheaper ;)

Unfortunately this only helps if your card is N, as G cards will still only run at 54mb. I presume you are buying an N card to take advantage of the speed increase? If not it won't make any difference.
wrong! 'N' isnt completely ratified yet, you're thinking of 'super-G 108mbps'

"N" routers and everything like that are brand specific, and they are all based off the G protocols, just modified in different ways etc. This means that to gain any performance, you have to buy everything from one brand.
wrong! Super-G is chipset specific... and 90% of them use the 'atheros' chipset ;)
http://www.super-ag.com/superproducts.html <- booyah!

we do SMC here, so if anyone wants cheap wireless gear, let me know and ill sort you out. www.cdlnz.com

StoneChucker
10th November 2006, 21:14

You presume correctly, sort of. 95% of the time I connect via ethernet cable, the wireless is for my work laptop and the spare house pc. But yes, I am buying a new wireless network card (SuperG, N, or whatever meets the top specs of 108Mbps).

Gremlin
10th November 2006, 22:45
we do SMC here, so if anyone wants cheap wireless gear, let me know and ill sort you out. www.cdlnz.com
BAHAHHAHA, you're joking... we already buy from you guys... nice network cables, along with the other bits and bobs

and just how many south africans do you have working there? One always seems to answer the phone :lol:

GR81
11th November 2006, 08:45
we have 2 currently, i think our record was 4 at one stage :( haha

StoneChucker
13th November 2006, 09:09
BAHAHHAHA, you're joking... we already buy from you guys... nice network cables, along with the other bits and bobs

and just how many south africans do you have working there? One always seems to answer the phone :lol:

Yebo Gogo? (SA joke)