PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear, Dakar needs a bash plate

CBobR
8th November 2006, 22:35
I have in my possession a Husaberg FE450 Supermotard! It rocks (cheers Zebedee/John, much beer owed).

My Dakar is still in the forest with a smashed sidestand switch.

Pictures…

CBobR
9th November 2006, 07:13
Bad pics of the damage (it was getting low on light).

I am thinking of running without a sidestand switch?

btw I wish my Dakar sounded half as good as John's Husaberg, What a machine!

oldrider
9th November 2006, 10:22
Hey, they were good pics. Funny thing you mentioning the broken side stand switch.
We were just discussing that while eating lunch on our last ride.
Apparently quite common and is the cause of a lot of problems for trail and venture bikers.
Once the switch or wire gets damaged and if you can't fix it you are walking!
Not a good look when you are a long way from civilisation and on your own. Good post. Cheers John.

Crisis management
9th November 2006, 12:01
I have always believed sidestand switches, clutch switches and other idiot proofing on bikes only use was to provide the opportunity to remove them.
Surely when you ride a bike of this capability you are able to remember to start it in neutral??
I despair at the thinking that assumes such attachements are an "enhancement".

PLUG
9th November 2006, 12:12
... check www.f650.com re disabling said switch ... not as simple as one would expect ... computers/sensors & all ...

Zebedee
9th November 2006, 20:44
... not as simple as one would expect ... ... nonsense ... the job of but a moment :D

Anyway, the device that was designed to save young CbobR from his own stupidity has been bypassed, and the Dakar is ready to roll.

... and whilst the pack of beer was gratefully received, it was completely unnecessary. After all, what do you do when a mate turns up at your door, late into the evening, covered in clay but without the bike that he had obviously been riding until very recently?

My philosophy is:-

1. Check that the bike is OK (as far as is possible when it's still stuck in the forest).
2. Make sure your mate is OK (thankfully)
3. File his embarrassing moment away so that you can extract yet more beer from him at a later date ... :D

However, I do question his sanity after he described the Supermotard as civilised. There are no computers, idiot lights, switches or other devices to protect you from your own stupidity with the Husaberg.

Just fire her up and make sure you leave your brain in the garage ...

CBobR
9th November 2006, 21:35
Cheers again Zebedee :)

The bike was still hidden in the bushes where I left it last night, and so with the help of the f650.com FAQ (thanks Plug) "we" improved the sidestand (will take a pic soon) and now she runs great again (Zebedee made a very tidy job of it).... unfortunately this means that I have to give the Husaberg back.

I'm giving thought to buying/making a heavier bash plate than standard.

edit: just got into work on the Husaberg, it was raining but still very fun. Super short gearing meant speeds weren't license losing, but the wheelies may have been pushing it :o. Passed an unmarked car at about 59kmph (59*21/17=...still thinking 100m down the road), rolled off the throttle *pop* *crackle* *bang* *pop*, polite wave to the policeman (apologies to everyone on my commute route for the glorious noises this morning). Stopped for petrol and a token wash with the squeegee and had a couple of people in cars (dirt bikers) I'd just passed, come over for a chat saying how much they liked "my" bike.

Having said that, I think my Dakar goes 3 times as far to a tank of fuel, and 20 times as far to the oil change so is still the perferred everyday bike (stupid reality :))... and having an ignition key on the Dakar helps keep the office carpet clean.

CBobR
11th November 2006, 15:35
A picture:

The red oval is where the stock bash plate didn't do so well. I was at idle in first gear.

The blue oval is the remains of the sidestand safety switch (note the 3 wire colours)

The green oval is the post on the sidestand itself, where the switch used to be mounted.

The yellow oval is the plug which connects the sidestand switch to the rest of the loom (everything after this plug is a single BMW part that you have to buy together). To fix my bike, Zebedee connected two of the three wires after this plug... unfortunately I wasn't paying attention at the time and missed which two wires. Zebedee then put some insulation tape and heat shrink insulation over the exposed wires to weatherproof them, looks like a factory job. Bike starts, stops and seems to have full power.

Zebedee
12th November 2006, 09:21
... unfortunately I wasn't paying attention ... ... er, yes :slap:

What I actually did was crimp the relevant wires together (white and brown if anybody cares) and I also stuck a crimp connector over the red wire to make sure that it was well insulated from the other wires. Then I applied the heat shrink to keep everything clean and dry. Hopefully the “fix” should last as long as the rest of the wiring on the bike. :niceone:

However I suspect that the side stand mounting point was twisted in the incident, but we can fettle that the next time the Dakar makes a visit to the Team Magic Roundabout garage.

Ixion
12th November 2006, 11:12
I always remove all such idiot switches. They are far more trouble than any benefit they may confer. Usually, there will be two wires, just cut and join.

Transalper
12th November 2006, 11:57
I always remove all such idiot switches. They are far more trouble than any benefit they may confer. Usually, there will be two wires, just cut and join.Yea, usually, but trust mr BMW to make something so simple difficult... in this case adding a 3rd wire.:angry:

Chipster
14th November 2006, 10:50
Cheers again Zebedee :)

and having an ignition key on the Dakar helps keep the office carpet clean.

Wait a minute! That's MY desk that the Husaberg is leaning against, and I seem to recall being away on Annual Leave on that day.:gob:

Does NO work get done in my office when I'm not there!!!????

As CBobR's boss, I think it's only fair that Husabergs that are to be left at my desk, at least get to be ridden by me before they go back to their official owner.

Mind you, I'm not so sure that the 'official' owner approved last time I had a 'bimble' on the Husaberg.......:shit:

CBobR
14th November 2006, 15:52
As CBobR's boss,

... a kind and patient boss I must say, who recognises the needs of employees to talk bikes online during tea breaks :o.

Starter button fixed - CRC
Side stand fixed - adjustment of travel stop (yay cheap looking, but low stress hardening mild steel parts)
Bash plate fixed - hammer and dolly

Bit of a clean too (will do the poor old CBR next weekend).

Anyone spot something missing off my bike? I just realised because my numberplate was unreadable, it's been gone for about two weeks without me noticing! Apologies if it's in your garden.. or windscreen :o.

CBobR
8th December 2006, 19:17
Fork seal busted on the gravel road home from work, all over the caliper so a bit worried about riding it any further.

No BMW dealership within 230km as far as I know, but I've just been reading that a Honda part fits?.. may be still able to go for a ride this weekend if so.

...wonder if AMPS are willing to negotiate on their 640Adv yet :)
http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=2025419&TabID=3553&Alias=motorcycletradernz