PDA

View Full Version : 2nd bike for trackdays

bikerboy
20th May 2003, 19:45
I'd like to start going to track days but I don't feel comfortable risking the 996 at this stage.
So I'm thinking of getting a used bike until I'm feeling really confident.
Besides the lack of insurance cover, cost of potential damage, etc. for the ducati doesn't seem worth the risk.

Question: What size and type of bike would be fun enough, not too intimidating, and not too expensive to run and repair as a track day bike?

:cool:

bluninja
20th May 2003, 19:52
I understand there's a ZRX250 up for sale on this site:D Other than that I would recommend an SV650 if you can get one second hand. It's a twin with similar drive characteristics to what you already ride, tops out at around 200 kmh without tuning (or fairing) and it's relatively cheap to fix if you do have a misshap (speaks from experience:o )

TTFN

SpankMe
20th May 2003, 20:17
A Suzuki SV650s :love: It makes an excellent race bike and corners better than most other bikes I've been up against at Pukekohe. Buy a naked and keep it stock and you’ll be able to race in the sv650 class. But if you want to tweak and tune, there are many, many options for this bike. Check out http://www.svrider.com

And with the 2003 models out which include the new 1000cc model, you will be able to find many 99' - 02 650 models for a good price.

bluninja
20th May 2003, 20:25
Ahem! the SV650 class is now dead....SV650 can be tuned (to a degree) and put in F3 for nationals, and the Pacific MCC winter series. However in the Sawyer Winter series it goes in the 600 class and is ineligible for F3. However it's a good clubmans bike :D I hope!

TTFN

SpankMe
20th May 2003, 20:31
Originally posted by bluninja
Ahem! the SV650 class is now dead

Bugger. Anyway, check out the latest Performance Bike mag. It has a couple of pages about the modificatoins you can do to a SV650s.

Coldkiwi
20th May 2003, 21:22
Thanks for the plug Blu but I suspect the ZXR would be a bit too much of a step down coming from a 996! Anyway.. i'd have to smash BB if he dropped it and scuffed all that lovely new paintwork! :P

I guess faired 600 upwards would be a good move BB given you're used to a full fairing and some grunt. If you're keen to minise the damage in event of a crash, I'd recommend getting some of those white PE crash bungs fitted to the frame of whatever you choose. Excellent idea and perfect for a race/track bike.

On that note, getting some cheap fibreglass fairings (available for most sports bikes in NZ) would be a wicked move to save $$ in event of a crash...also pull the mirrors/lights and inidcators off and you'll hav a much cheaper repair job in the event of a spill!

wkid_one
20th May 2003, 21:31
Feck it - race the bloody 996 - that's what the thing was designed to be used for!

bikerboy
20th May 2003, 23:34
:) Eventually I hope to use the 996, but I don't fancy the odds of dropping a 40K bike on the first few goes just because that's what it was made for. Those guys have a lot more experience and they don't pay for the damage.

So given that, I want something to hone my skills and over come the hesitation of scratching/damaging a new/expensive bike. I was thinking of a second hand Aprilla rs250 or even the Honda NC30? Start out small and work my way up. Are there many beginners on 600cc bikes?:o :beer:

babyB
21st May 2003, 01:51
hay BB im in full agreement with u, didnt want to put my baby on the track either

i got me a CBR400 (light and user friendl) hopin to get to taupo for my 1st race. i recon if i dont do too much damage to it over the next couple of years, (& i improve ) it'll take me to F3 any way... got the bike for under $1000.  ,a pre loved F3 racer...i reckon that cause the bikes got the track experance it should look after me. :D 

I wish :eek::(

Dave
21st May 2003, 09:42
sounds like a used 400 four cyl would be the go for you,
You can also keep the road gear and have a commuter/spare road bike.

750Y
21st May 2003, 12:27
Feck it - race the bloody 996 - that's what the thing was designed to be used for! 8-) lmao

Theres always crash protectors to save damage and race fairings are like $1000. or what about an older 900ss?
You can probably buy an older jap race bike to have fun on & trash.

bikerboy
21st May 2003, 13:38
:o Well after a bit of research it seems a decent 250 like the kawa zxr 250, honda cbr250 and the suzu rgv250r are around the $3000 mark. a used Aprilla 250rs is $9500.

The 400 group seem better value ranging in price around the $4000 range for a early 90's 20-30 k bike. But what to choose? , these look good but know f'all about them. yam fzr 400, kawa zxr 400, honda nc30 or rfv 400 (any diff). Which is good enough to be relatively trouble free, the newest lowest k I can afford?

I am not mechically inclined so want something reliable and easy to fix. :confused:

Any suggestions:argh:

Dave
21st May 2003, 16:38
The 400's fit staright into the F3 class for racing -so if you find that your going well you can get more serious with it.
I would suggest get whatever is the most common of the bunch-
GSXR,FZR,ZXR,or VFR. The most common,will generally be cheaper,also you are more likely to find written off/wrecking ones in the Trade and Exchange for parts/engines/whatever.

750Y
22nd May 2003, 10:50
my mate has a 95/6 aprilia rs250 for sale around the $6k mark.
Really Nice bike, goes/handles extremely well and can really surprise riders on bigger machines. sticks to the road like it's on rails.