PDA

View Full Version : 70km/h on learners?

Flyno
11th November 2006, 18:22
Why is that STUPID rule been put on the smallest road users out there!
This rule is bulls@#t, for young and upcomming learner bike riders is stupid because
a) it is very dangerous and SLOW
b) it dosent give them confidence when a car driver is up you arse tooting his horn.
c) bikes arent made to ridden slow!!!!

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Jeaves
11th November 2006, 18:32
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=25161

yungatart
11th November 2006, 18:34
Don't obey the 70 k limit.I never have and I never will - I value my life far too much!

VasalineWarrior
11th November 2006, 18:40
Ignore it like the rest of us. I dont think ive ever met amyone who adheres to it in my four years of road biking. Cops are pretty sympathetic as far as tickets go on that rule also

Flyno
11th November 2006, 18:42
Ignore it like the rest of us. I dont think ive ever met amyone who adheres to it in my four years of road biking. Cops are pretty sympathetic as far as tickets go on that rule also

Yeah i dont follow it, cops can understand but the people that do follow it are at risk!!!

McJim
11th November 2006, 20:00
This subject has been done to death on this forum.

Ride safely and ignore the 70kph rule - a cop will only pull you up for exceeding 70kph if:

a/ you're also riding like a dickhead
b/ his wife hasn't been puting out recently

lukelin250
15th November 2006, 22:48
just ride with the flow of traffic, cops will never ticket you for that

Mikeycbd
17th November 2006, 18:26
I never realised it was 70 so drove at 80 at least. I also never knew you couldn't ride after 10pm but I was never stopped. Lucky me. But you are right... it's stupid. It should be 80 - 90 to keep up with the flow of traffic in the slowest moving lane at least.

Drum
17th November 2006, 18:30
a) it is very dangerous and SLOW
b) it dosent give them confidence when a car driver is up you arse tooting his horn.
c) bikes arent made to ridden slow!!!!

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

a) that's correct
b) you're right there
c) darn tootin!

And sure the subject has been done to death, but thats because its a major issue for learner riders.

Just treat this law like so many other pointless laws, and ignore it.

lukelin250
17th November 2006, 18:32
yeah after 10 another strange rule,,less traffic so it should be heaps safer but no apparantly its a terrible thing for a learner to do riding after 10pm. fuck.:gob:

lukelin250
17th November 2006, 18:34
oh screw it,while im at it. whats a learner plate ever done for anyone??

sunhuntin
17th November 2006, 18:45
i followed it the first time went on the open road, and nearly didnt make it home. but, ive noticed, even riding at 100/110k, im still no safer from the general public. even when riding at 55/60k in town, i get people up my exhaust. so whats the point?
after 10, i think its cos car lights are rather dazzling [i myself hate riding at night much, especially on the open road as im often blinded. nearly ran into a cheese cutter once] though, i have ridden at night when i was working night shift. i did enjoy it, cos there are less cars, but what ones there are have bright lights.
my l plate gives a bit more character...its missing two opposing corners, and has a crack on another. ill be keeping it when i no longer have to wear it.

MSTRS
17th November 2006, 19:26
i followed it the first time went on the open road, and nearly didnt make it home. but, ive noticed, even riding at 100/110k, im still no safer from the general public. even when riding at 55/60k in town, i get people up my exhaust. so whats the point?
after 10, i think its cos car lights are rather dazzling [i myself hate riding at night much, especially on the open road as im often blinded. nearly ran into a cheese cutter once] though, i have ridden at night when i was working night shift. i did enjoy it, cos there are less cars, but what ones there are have bright lights.
my l plate gives a bit more character...its missing two opposing corners, and has a crack on another. ill be keeping it when i no longer have to wear it.

What about the 4-5 hours of full dark prior to 10pm in winter?? Sorry - it's apparently the rule cos learners get too tired after 10 to be out riding. Ha - that's another crock of shit...

Kendog
17th November 2006, 19:40
I saw some poor sucker riding along on their 250 on the motorway with their L plate on, doing about 70kmphs and all these cars having to swerve and dodge them, but shock of all shocks, said biker was riding really far on the left of their lane, like a push bike.
Oh shit, scary!:gob:
I wanted to follow him and advise that maybe sitting inside his own lane may be a good idea so he is seen, (but couldn't be arsed sitting for god knows how long doing 70ks, and figured someone on a bike will cruise up and let him know soon, or he'll find out when he does his restricted test). I know he was probably thinking, "I'm going slower than everyone else so if I move over they can pass me easily" but the reality is that instead cars were passing him so closely that they were scaring the poor dude into the crap on the side of road and yet still having to swerve into the other lane.
My point? 70kmph limit for learners is stupid and dangerous and why don't learners in cars have to do 70kmph too?
Ok, I'm bored and will :shutup: now.
Mrs KD.

sunhuntin
17th November 2006, 19:57
What about the 4-5 hours of full dark prior to 10pm in winter?? Sorry - it's apparently the rule cos learners get too tired after 10 to be out riding. Ha - that's another crock of shit...

yeh, true. i like summer cos i can cruise before going home, in winter, its home by the fastest route.

Ixion
17th November 2006, 22:51
Incidentally, here is a challenge for those that think they know the law.

There is one exception to the 70kph limit on a class 6L. One occasion when a learner may do 100kph, quite legally. Anyone know what it is?

Shadows
17th November 2006, 23:09

There is one exception to the 70kph limit on a class 6L. One occasion when a learner may do 100kph, quite legally. Anyone know what it is?

When you have a class one license as well and you are driving a cage?

Ixion
17th November 2006, 23:11
Well, no. If you are driving a cage at any speed on a 6L you are not doing it lawfully. On a bike. On the public road. In traffic.

Shadows
17th November 2006, 23:13
Well, no. If you are driving a cage at any speed on a 6L you are not doing it lawfully. On a bike. On the public road. In traffic.

Pillion then?

Ixion
17th November 2006, 23:14
No. Actually riding.

Shadows
17th November 2006, 23:15
No. Actually riding.

Third time lucky, deadly treadly downhill with a tailwind?

Ixion
17th November 2006, 23:19
No. Motorcycle, with the engine running. Lets wait and see if anyone else knows. I suspect that even most cops won't know this one.

MSTRS
18th November 2006, 06:12
Helen Clark has directed you to get her to the game on time? But that would be 2 exceptions (pillion)

Hawkeye
18th November 2006, 06:21
I never realised it was 70 so drove at 80 at least. I also never knew you couldn't ride after 10pm but I was never stopped. .

I always find statements like this hard to believe. Anyone who has looked at a road code before taking their scratchy must know those two rules. There must be 6-8 questions on the test purely about them.

Kendog
18th November 2006, 08:49
Is it to keep with flow of traffic Ixion?

terbang
18th November 2006, 09:26
(1) Throw yer L plate away.
(2) Put yer leathers on and roll around in the dust & dirt.
(3) Ride through some puddles.
(4) Ignore the 70 kay rule and ride with the tempo of the traffic.
(5) Enjoy

Ixion
18th November 2006, 10:06
Is it to keep with flow of traffic Ixion?

Nope. Not pillion either.

Come on folks, where's the cops, they ought to know. There's one situation where a learner , complete with L plate if desired, may twist the throttle and zoom past a cop with total legal impunity at 100kph (well, assuming it's a 100kpoh zone of course) . It's specifically written into the legislation even.

Tch tch.

terbang
18th November 2006, 10:10
On the way to hospital with the missus, well into labour, on the back..

Ixion
18th November 2006, 10:22
On the way to hospital with the missus, well into labour, on the back..

Nope , doesn't allow pillion. Send the missus on her own,and go back to sleep.

zeocen
18th November 2006, 10:39

My first and only bin was because of this (just a few weeks into riding) :(

I think the whole 70kmph reason is there to keep learners off the faster speed roads to practice around suburban areas, but I still think that's pretty shit. You can't learn everything in suburban 50kmph zones, if I hadn't of gone out of the back roads at 80-90kmph I still think I wouldn't be very confident in cornering/counter steering, not to mention being mindful of vehicles up your ass and knowing when it's safe to pull over etc..

To me it's not about hating the 70k rule because I want to go 200kmph, I just want to be able to build my confidence up at my own pace and not end up being totally confident with 70kmph for 6 months and getting the shock of my life when I go to restricted.

Ignoring the 70kmph rule was the safest thing I had ever done.

Kendog
18th November 2006, 10:47
Is it when its 6.59pm and you have to be home by 7.00pm for Shortland street? (rule would apply on weekdays only)

Mrs KD

Lorax
18th November 2006, 21:57
I'm gonna bloody watch this thread in ernest. What is it what is it what is it what is it what is it?!!!!

I've got an exemption for riding home after working in a bar but speed exemptions don't exist (can just see it now: Reason for Exemption Application? I always sleep in and sometimes have no milk so have to have toast which takes longer in the mornings.

What is it what is it what is it what is it?!?!?!?!

M1CRO
18th November 2006, 22:07

What about when you are taking your restricted test?
Edit - Can I have a chocolate fish now please :)

Shadows
18th November 2006, 22:08
What about when you are taking your restricted test?

That would render the test a failure.

M1CRO
18th November 2006, 22:09
That would render the test a failure.
Not if I was on the motorway it wouldnt :scooter:

Shadows
18th November 2006, 22:11
Not if I was on the motorway it wouldnt :scooter:

You must remain within the terms of your license on the test, anything else is illegal and will cause you to fail.

M1CRO
18th November 2006, 22:13
You must remain within the terms of your license on the test, anything else is illegal and you fail.
Sorry dude, but there is a legal exemption where you can do 100km/hr WHILST on a learners BUT you are taking the restricted licence test for a Class 6R licence :rockon:
Edit - Came in around 1999, just when I got out

Shadows
18th November 2006, 22:31
Sorry dude, but there is a legal exemption where you can do 100km/hr WHILST on a learners BUT you are taking the restricted licence test for a Class 6R licence :rockon:
Edit - Came in around 1999, just when I got out

I stand corrected....

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/libraries/contents/om_isapi.dll?clientID=221264&advquery=class%206l&infobase=pal_regs.nfo&record={2914C}&softpage=DOC&wordsaroundhits=6#JUMPDEST_

:Oops:

Ixion
18th November 2006, 22:36
Yep, choccy fish for Mr M1CRO

The one time a learner can leaglly rip along at 100kph is when taking the restricted test .

Land Transport (Driver Licensing) Rule 1999
Part 4 Learner licences, restricted licences, and full licences (r 15 to r 19)

[(d)in the case of a Class 6L licence, where the holder is riding a motorcycle, the holder—

(i)must display on the vehicle an “L” plate as specified in clause 66; and
(ii)must not—

(A)drive between the hours of 10 pm and 5 am; or
(B)drive at a speed exceeding 70 km/h, unless taking the restricted licence test for a Class 6R licence under clause 48(5); or
(C)drive a motorcycle that has a total piston displacement exceeding 250 cm3; or
(D)carry another person on the motorcycle or in a sidecar attached to the motorcycle]

Assuming the tester asks you to ride on a motorway or open road of course. Of course, as a learner you will have stuck scrupulously to the 70kph limit, and have had no chance to obtain experience of 100kph riding, so you will probably kill yourself, But at least you won't get a ticket. Damn stupid rule.

M1CRO
18th November 2006, 22:37
no problems... part of my previous occupation :)
and I said "got out".. NOT "came out" lol :)

Shadows
18th November 2006, 22:44
no problems... part of my previous occupation :)
and I said "got out".. NOT "came out" lol :)

I was wondering where you "got out" from! Now I have a completely different picture in my head lol.

Ixion
18th November 2006, 22:57
Actually, despite all their buggering about to cover the moped thing, I think there is still a loophole that in theory would allow the holder of a class 6L to ride at 100kph without breaching the conditions of the licence (though at risk of falling foul of other laws)

[(c)in the case of a Class 1L or Class 6L licence, where the holder is riding a moped, the holder—
(i)must display on the vehicle an “L” plate as specified in clause 66; and
(ii)must not drive between the hours of 10 pm and 5 am:]

Note, no 70kph restriction, and no passenger restriction . Now, a moped MAY legally take a passenger , if a seat and footrests are fitted (practically, may be another matter). And the law requires that a moped should not be designed to be able to go faster than 50kph. But it is not actually an offence to do so, if somehow you can persuade the moped to do it. So, if you could find a long enough open road hill (not a motorway), you could legally ride your moped , two up, at 100kph, on a learners 6L licence (complete with L plate attached). Assuming it is not between the hours of 10pm and 5am. Not sure I'd want to explain that to a judge, though.Damn stupid law.

And why is a motorbike 6L forbidden to take a passenger, but a moped 6L may? Explain that one , then.

M1CRO
18th November 2006, 23:03
Too hard for this time of the night - unless you had a nap during the day? :)
Have RRRS course to do in the morning, so off to beddie bye for this one

Drum
19th November 2006, 06:49
So if you have followed all the conditions of your learner license, the first time you would have ridden at 100 km/h is during your restricted test??

Genius at work.

Kendog
19th November 2006, 07:06
The other dog and I were discussing this the other day about scooters, if it could do 100ks, and you only need a car licence to ride one, you could have a car learner licence and do 100kphs, but not on like a GN with motorcycle learner licence.
All hypothetical of course, but I agree that our laws on this stuff need to be looked at seriously, I mean a 15 year old can jump in a car (potentially dangerous weapon) with his 18 year old cousin and drive on the open road at 100kmph and kill both of them and a van load of kids, but a 15 year old on a GN can only do 70kmph on open road and only kill himself as he gets overtaken by every impatient bastard in a car.
Again, the point of my rant seems lost, but there is a point there somewhere!
Mrs KD.

Kendog
19th November 2006, 07:08
So if you have followed all the conditions of your learner license, the first time you would have ridden at 100 km/h is during your restricted test??

Genius at work.

Yep, it's like, you can break the conditions of your licence if a cop (or tester person) says you can. ?????? As you said, Genius!

yungatart
19th November 2006, 09:22
So, if you were unaware of the law that allows you to do 100kph while taking your test, would you be failed for adhering to the 70 rule?
Conversely, if the tester is unaware of the law, and you rode at 100 could you be failed?

lukelin250
19th November 2006, 10:37
all depends how the grumpy sods at the aa felt that morning. anyone else ever have huge problems with AA staff as major assholes. ive always had terrible and rude service from them. north shore and orewa locations. ????? whyyy?

Drum
19th November 2006, 11:47
I've generally found the AA staff to be both friendly and helpful (Lower Hutt and Wellington City).

Ivan
11th January 2007, 20:27
[QUOTE=Flyno;820468]cops can understandQUOTE]

Npt the one who pinged me 400 dollars

hsvboy06
16th January 2007, 17:46
So, if you were unaware of the law that allows you to do 100kph while taking your test, would you be failed for adhering to the 70 rule?
Conversely, if the tester is unaware of the law, and you rode at 100 could you be failed?

My tester tried to fail me for doing 100 km/h during my FULL licence test (until I explained that I was allowed to do that speed on a restricted licence).

hsvboy06
16th January 2007, 17:51
I think the whole 70kmph reason is there to keep learners off the faster speed roads to practice around suburban areas...That was my thought too. (I totally agree that 70 on the open road is dangerous.)

You can't learn everything in suburban 50kmph zones...And that presumably is what the restricted licence is for...

Not saying I agree with the rules - that's just how I interpreted them.

Arthur
13th February 2007, 11:28
I fully agree with you guys - I've just followed the crowd and done what almost everyone does:
Fuck the L plate
Fuck 70kmh
Fuck no riding 10pm-5am

In fact my first ride (on the road - plenty time spent off road) was from Central Hawke Bay up to Auckland...

j_redley
13th February 2007, 14:44

If the tester is unaware of the law, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were... You could kindly alert them to the fact, that you were quiet within legal rights. If they require proof, go to your nearest library and get it for them. Legally they can't fail you for that reason.

Alice
13th February 2007, 15:42
I'm gonna bloody watch this thread in ernest. What is it what is it what is it what is it what is it?!!!!

I've got an exemption for riding home after working in a bar but speed exemptions don't exist (can just see it now: Reason for Exemption Application? I always sleep in and sometimes have no milk so have to have toast which takes longer in the mornings.

What is it what is it what is it what is it?!?!?!?!

It won't apply to you, GN's can hardly go faster than 70 !

Toaster
13th February 2007, 16:09

Agreed on all points. It is a stupid impractical rule when bikers need to use 100km/h zones to get somewhere.

Toaster
13th February 2007, 16:14
[QUOTE=Arthur;934514]
Fuck the L plate
Fuck 70kmh
Fuck no riding 10pm-5amQUOTE]

I'd like to see you say that to the Judge when he bins your licence for all your fines racked up!! Don't forget it only takes a few months patience to get through the learner phase dude - is it really worth the $1,200 in penalties if you get caught out?

Toaster
13th February 2007, 16:16
My tester tried to fail me for doing 100 km/h during my FULL licence test (until I explained that I was allowed to do that speed on a restricted licence).

Geez, what a dick that tester must be - can't even get the basics right themselves!

Arthur
16th February 2007, 13:09
[QUOTE=Arthur;934514]
Fuck the L plate
Fuck 70kmh
Fuck no riding 10pm-5amQUOTE]

I'd like to see you say that to the Judge when he bins your licence for all your fines racked up!! Don't forget it only takes a few months patience to get through the learner phase dude - is it really worth the $1,200 in penalties if you get caught out?

Granted - but then again if you are riding resposibly, the chances of being pulled over are slim. Not saying that you won't be pulled over at all, but if you ignore those three rules (possibly even the capacity rule) and ride responsibly, you are not as likely to get pulled over as if you were to flaunt them and act like a clown.

Toaster
16th February 2007, 13:32
[QUOTE=Toaster;934996]

Granted - but then again if you are riding resposibly, the chances of being pulled over are slim. Not saying that you won't be pulled over at all, but if you ignore those three rules (possibly even the capacity rule) and ride responsibly, you are not as likely to get pulled over as if you were to flaunt them and act like a clown.

I completely agree. I never got pulled over because I never drew attention to myself.

KLOWN
16th February 2007, 13:44
Just treat this law like so many other pointless laws, and ignore it.

yeah just like the marijuana isn't legal law. I always ignore that one

LilSel
16th February 2007, 14:44
yeah just like the marijuana isn't legal law. I always ignore that one

:laugh:.... I think a lot of people ignore that one

Lissa
16th February 2007, 15:07
I think going 70 is dangerous.. is why I dont do it. Got a broken L plate on the back of my bike, and a kb sticker, which I think if I flash it at the cops, I'm sure they will let me off.. :innocent: or maybe not.

It won't apply to you, GN's can hardly go faster than 70 !Grr!!

davereid
16th February 2007, 15:08
Where you find the laws most numerous, there you will find also the greatest injustice. Arcesilaus (Ἀρκεσίλαος) (c.316-c.241 BC)

Lorax
16th February 2007, 22:44
It won't apply to you, GN's can hardly go faster than 70 !

I'll have you know young man! I can do 104.5km fine and dandy... with a tail wind... on a slight downhill...

Damn your correctness.

YLWDUC
16th February 2007, 23:02
It's all Karma really. 70 Km/h is meant to keep learners off motorways and highways until they can get their restricted 3(6)months later.

That said, my brother's had his learners for about 10 years now, and he eventually got done for 140km/hr after 10pm on an unwarranted, unregoed bike. Sucks to be him, but he could have gone and got his full a lot sooner..

(now what was the point of my rave? I forget)

j_redley
18th February 2007, 21:06
I can understand wanting Learners to ride slower, much like Learner car drivers arn't supposed to drive alone, but its more dangerous for those on bike to be doing 70...

Doing 140 wouldn't have mattered what licence he was on, and no WOF and Reg is ever so slightly... dumb.

Lissa
18th February 2007, 21:08
I'll have you know young man! I can do 104.5km fine and dandy... with a tail wind... on a slight downhill...

Damn your correctness.
hehehe.... I can do 120k or more, without wind... on a straight!! whoo hooo.

Boob Johnson
21st February 2007, 22:14
Feeeeewwwww!!! Glad to see so many getting away with ignoring that stupid rule. Im about to do the first bit of my test tomorrow & then on friday do the theory, then next week ill be going to Auckland to pick up my new bike I bought yesterday and riding it back to New Plymouth. Buggered if im gunna stick to 70Km/h on that journey. Aside from being bloody dangerous as everyone agrees it would take me a week to get home lol :zzzz:

Quartermile
22nd February 2007, 12:19
I never had any L's on my bike untill I got that fine and the cops were looking for me :innocent:

But I also went over 70 so that would have been a $700 fine but thats not 'fine':mellow: with me as thats alot more than other fines for much more serious stuff!!

we should get a ride from Auckland to Welling ton going 70 that might make an impact stupid bastard Govt :angry2:

Arthur
23rd February 2007, 09:21
Hopefully I have a new bike by then - and I'll be keen to join in.... :niceone:

hsvboy06
23rd February 2007, 13:40
70 Km/h is meant to keep learners off motorways and highways until they can get their restricted 3(6)months later.
Exactly. I wish you'd all stop wasting my time by making me read posts about how 70km/h on the motorway is dangerous - who are you trying to convince? We all agree with you. I'm sure even the so-called "stupid law makers" would agree with you, but their reply would be "well, don't go on the motorway then".

I personally think that sending a 15yo with absolutely no experience who only got their bike yesterday out onto the motorway and telling them to go at 100km/h is also pretty dangerous.

Boob Johnson
23rd February 2007, 13:45
I wish you'd all stop wasting my time by making me read posts about how 70km/h on the motorway is dangerous"make you read it"??? Get ya hand off it ya clown. The title of the thread is pretty damn clear what the subject is about. Its obvious you just wanted to have a bleet, now bugger off, no one really wants to hear it. The center of the universe does NOT revolve around you sunshine. :nono:

xwhatsit
23rd February 2007, 14:05
It might just be me, but right from the first day I got my licence, I went to get a WOF for my bike which required going over a bridge on the motorway. I was nervous as hell around the streets and in traffic, made lots of mistakes, but as soon as I got on the motorway and up to 90-100kph I felt much more relaxed and safe. I know it will hurt a bit more if you come off at that speed, but there's far less to worry about when everybody's going in the same direction and up to speed. I don't think the motorway is much to worry about, to be perfectly honest -- it's just the speed thing that makes some newbies nervous (100kph on a motorcycle feels bloody fast).

Quartermile
23rd February 2007, 14:54
And for the ones that don't live in Auckland or Wellington it can be a huge pain,

For me a 5 minute ride could turn into a 20 min one which is a pain after work with the goddam 10 off the streets rule doesn't leave much time!!!