PDA

View Full Version : A good day in the gargre

riffer
11th July 2004, 17:29
Okay, I'm starting to get somewhere with the bike.

The fairing frame and all the other stuff that holds the fairings on is now straightened.

The fairings are all back on.

I have used the loctite quick metal to fill in the slight ovalisation in the upper bearing race socket in the steering head and fitted the steering races which are now nice and tight.

I ended up having to take the front wheel around to pete376043's place across the road as I couldn't find a tool which would take off my brake rotors.

I tried using an allen key but ended up rooting it so was forced to seek his help. As the proud owner of a Spagthorp Wheezehound he is an expert in the construction of interesting tools for the fixing of exotic machinery. Anyway, he constructed up a tool using an impact driver, and the remains of an allen key modified using a screwdriver, vise and sledgehammer.

After a quick lesson in impact driver technique (I managed to remove exactly NONE bolts due to my feeble efforts, compared to his 12 - bloody thread lock!), we got the rotors off. One is twisted, one is good. I now have four brake rotors, 2 are good, one is slightly twisted and one is a pretzel. <_< Anyway, should have enough rotors to sort it out.

For some reason the bearings were seized so they had to come out. Thought at first they might be the wrong way around, but I've checked the manual and they are supposed to have the bearing cage exposed to the outside.

Got back home, cleaned up the wheel, greased the speedo cable, and generally did a bit more tidying up on the fairing with some sandpaper.

Its actually looking not too bad now. A bit more sanding, and some paint and the fairings will look pretty good now. Just need to find some matching paint.

I'll go down to Customs tomorrow and pay them their GST so they'll release the forks. They should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday and Gini will take them down to Cycleworks for me, so they can straighten the triple clamps- I should be able to get them back by Saturday.

My mate Matt is rewelding the side bracket that holds on the main/reserve switch and fairing and will have that sorted before the weekend.

I'll redo the wheel bearings during the week so all that will be left by Saturday is:

- grease the steering head bearings
- bolt up the triple clamps and bolt the ignition switch back in
- put the new rotors on the wheel
- put the forks back in
- bolt the calipers back on
- put the front mudgard and fork brace on
- put the front wheel back on
and re-torque everything, squeeze the brake lever a few times, and road test... A small ride around the block nice and slow, then back to the gargre to retorque, then a beer.

Maybe I might get a ride in on Sunday (wishful thinking).

James Deuce
11th July 2004, 18:04
Okay, I'm starting to get somewhere with the bike.

The fairing frame and all the other stuff that holds the fairings on is now straightened.

The fairings are all back on.

I have used the loctite quick metal to fill in the slight ovalisation in the upper bearing race socket in the steering head and fitted the steering races which are now nice and tight.

I ended up having to take the front wheel around to pete376043's place across the road as I couldn't find a tool which would take off my brake rotors.

I tried using an allen key but ended up rooting it so was forced to seek his help. As the proud owner of a Spagthorp Wheezehound he is an expert in the construction of interesting tools for the fixing of exotic machinery. Anyway, he constructed up a tool using an impact driver, and the remains of an allen key modified using a screwdriver, vise and sledgehammer.

After a quick lesson in impact driver technique (I managed to remove exactly NONE bolts due to my feeble efforts, compared to his 12 - bloody thread lock!), we got the rotors off. One is twisted, one is good. I now have four brake rotors, 2 are good, one is slightly twisted and one is a pretzel. <_< Anyway, should have enough rotors to sort it out.

For some reason the bearings were seized so they had to come out. Thought at first they might be the wrong way around, but I've checked the manual and they are supposed to have the bearing cage exposed to the outside.

Got back home, cleaned up the wheel, greased the speedo cable, and generally did a bit more tidying up on the fairing with some sandpaper.

Its actually looking not too bad now. A bit more sanding, and some paint and the fairings will look pretty good now. Just need to find some matching paint.

I'll go down to Customs tomorrow and pay them their GST so they'll release the forks. They should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday and Gini will take them down to Cycleworks for me, so they can straighten the triple clamps- I should be able to get them back by Saturday.

My mate Matt is rewelding the side bracket that holds on the main/reserve switch and fairing and will have that sorted before the weekend.

I'll redo the wheel bearings during the week so all that will be left by Saturday is:

- grease the steering head bearings
- bolt up the triple clamps and bolt the ignition switch back in
- put the new rotors on the wheel
- put the forks back in
- bolt the calipers back on
- put the front mudgard and fork brace on
- put the front wheel back on
and re-torque everything, squeeze the brake lever a few times, and road test... A small ride around the block nice and slow, then back to the gargre to retorque, then a beer.

Maybe I might get a ride in on Sunday (wishful thinking).

Woohoo!

I'll come for a ride with you and bring the cellphone, so Gini can bring the trailer. Did I type that out loud??

Paul in NZ
11th July 2004, 18:46
Good for you son!

Nothing like doin' it for yourself!

I had a good day myself, bit of muckin' about in the garden and cleaned up one of the crankcase halves... All good fun!

Cheers

Paul N

riffer
15th July 2004, 21:21
Okay, my forks FINALLY arrived today at our house.

No thanks to CourierPost for accidentally sending them to Christchurch, then losing them for a couple of days, but hey, they are here now.

A fair amount of oxidisation on the lower part of the fork (the aluminium bit) but who cares, as its on the inside of the fork, and the chromes are PERFECT :) - no spots at all, and dead straight.

They are at Cycleworks as we speak so Damon can align the triple clamps with them - I pick the lot up on Saturday.

Spent tonight firing new bearings into the front wheel (thanks to Tas), greasing up the whole works as well, and putting the new brake rotors on. Spun up the wheel afterwards, and the wheel is straight, and so are the rotors - you little beauty!!!

So all that's left is to pick up the forks and triples from Cycleworks, hassle Matt again to fix my bracket ( I can ride without it) and basically bolt the lot together and I'm mobile.

I am so happy right now. I can nearly feel the wind in my hair.

woo hoo!!!!

FROSTY
15th July 2004, 21:34
Just a quick suggestion here mate.Give the forks a quick polish up whilst theyre apart. Tghey will look a million bucks with a 20 minute polish up.

riffer
15th July 2004, 21:36
Just a quick suggestion here mate.Give the forks a quick polish up whilst theyre apart. Tghey will look a million bucks with a 20 minute polish up.
Shall be doing so Frosty.

Hey when are you wanting to pick up that ZXR? Or should I say, get the trashman to pick it up?

Wenier
15th July 2004, 23:35
Shall be doing so Frosty.

Hey when are you wanting to pick up that ZXR? Or should I say, get the trashman to pick it up?

would that be my ex-bike or another one?

Good to hear ya getting ya bike back together!

riffer
16th July 2004, 07:59
would that be my ex-bike or another one?

Good to hear ya getting ya bike back together!
No Wenier, it's a 750.

LB
16th July 2004, 17:18
From the weather forecast it sounds like it will be a good weekend to take your time finishing it off. Good to know you'll soon be back on the road.

Hitcher
16th July 2004, 17:23
Celtic -- love the new avatar! And good news about the roadworthiness nearing completion.

I was pleased to get home tonight. The Zrex got its new Neptune fitted today -- shiny black and round. A bit deeper note than the Kerker. Tres nice!

Coming home from town it was positively persisting -- and diesel spills all up the Aro Valley road -- every left-hand corner and the odd decent dollop inbetween.

Now home and drying out. It looks like there won't be many chances for dry-weather riding this weekend.

Hitcher
16th July 2004, 17:24
From the weather forecast it sounds like it will be a good weekend to take your time finishing it off. Good to know you'll soon be back on the road.

Lynda -- congrats on your Big X!

riffer
17th July 2004, 16:43
Well I got my forks and triple clamps back from Damon at Cycleworks today.

Only $70 to get the triples straightened. According to Damon, the bottom triple was pretty straight, but the rod was bent at a weird angle. The top triples were pretty bad, but he got the whole lot dead straight.

So, it took me about 4 hours, but I got everything all put back together again.

Only hassles:

1. Putting the bottom bearing back on the triple clamp, but a quick trip over to Graham Berry Race Cars saw me borrowing a piece of steel tube and a big hammer and getting that bearing seated just nicely.

2. Put one of the brake pads in the wrong way around but discovered that before I did any damage to it.

3. Had to adjust the levers a couple of times before I was happy with the result.

But overall, a relatively easy and very satisfying days work.

A quick ride over to pete376403's place to confirm the bike was okay (including a fun wheelspin up half of Seddon Street - forgot about those cold tyres) and then a bit of a squirt up Alexander Road to check the steering head was okay. Took my hands off the bars to check the steering wasn't too loose - a bit of a wobble but a quick return home and retorque of the steering head saw that disappear.

So -- I'm up and running again :D

Sorted out some new insurance with AMI - for $35 a month I am fully comprehensive with a $250 excess so very happy as that's the same as TPFT was costing me with Vero.

I'll be taking it easy for the first few days and retorqueing everything tomorrow but it all feels pretty good today - runs in a straight line with my hands off the bars.

Very happy today!!!

sAsLEX
17th July 2004, 16:52
Good to hear!! :done:

k14
17th July 2004, 16:54
Good stuff, glad your back up and running and everything is working sweet.

mangell6
17th July 2004, 17:23
Great going!!! Travelling to work by bikemobile on Monday???

riffer
17th July 2004, 18:34
Great going!!! Travelling to work by bikemobile on Monday???
I hope so Mike. The insurance won't be through until I sign the papers so Gini may put the foot down.

I'm hoping to ride REAL carefully to work, get the papers faxed through and fax them back so I'm all legal like.

It was nice to go for a ride today, even if it was only down Alexander Road, and back again. Oh, and to the BP next to SuperCheap. It has the coolest air pump. You set the pressure with the digital meter and it either pumps up the tyre or lets it down.

Either way, if I don't ride Monday I will be riding Tuesday and thereafter... :D

mangell6
17th July 2004, 23:12
To Gini - be kind to him, he's responsible now. :)

riffer
17th July 2004, 23:20
To Gini - be kind to him, he's responsible now. :)
Responsible? Hah - only when something goes wrong ;)

Ms Piggy
18th July 2004, 11:40
Great news about the bike mate, hope to get some time to get out on a ride with a few of you at some stage, if not I can oooo and ahhhh at the bike on the 31st :niceone:

LB
19th July 2004, 05:13
Lynda -- congrats on your Big X!
Shit - I missed it!!! And I'd been keeping a close eye up to about 992!!!!

riffer
19th July 2004, 07:53
Great news about the bike mate, hope to get some time to get out on a ride with a few of you at some stage, if not I can oooo and ahhhh at the bike on the 31st :niceone:
As in Ooh - those scratches look well dodgy, and ahhh - is that bit there strictly legal? :whistle:

Paul in NZ
19th July 2004, 08:16
Well done...

Nothing like doin' it yourself....

Paul N