PDA

View Full Version : zxr handling enhancement

Panther
12th November 2006, 16:46
Im looking at making cornering better on the zxr and ive heard that having a higher back end can improve things (moto gp styles). Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Satch
12th November 2006, 16:48
hey there

well there are a few options, the A models came out in a SP or sport option, these had a real good back shock which was fully adjustable, sort of like a car coilover if you can picture, have you thought of one of these?

Panther
12th November 2006, 16:49
Well my zxr is a C model....any options there?

Satch
12th November 2006, 16:51
yeah there are! that SP shock will go straight into a C model no problems at all, and its easy to jack it up,

alternatively the gsxr 250 shocks fit and are said to ride better but there no higher! will this do you, or do you want the high look aswell?

Panther
12th November 2006, 16:53
I am really keen to have the sporty look to my zxr as well as the improved handling

Satch
12th November 2006, 16:55
Well then about the last suggestion i have is An RGV 250 back shock, theyve got good characteristics and will lift your pretty ass a nice amount!

Id reccomend that, wont cost much from a wrecker or ill give you one ;-)

Panther
12th November 2006, 16:56
So what handling differences can i expect from a higher back end?

How much higher will the rgv shock make my zxr?

Satch
12th November 2006, 16:58
well i think youl find with the higher tail it might feel a bit odd at first but once your used to it youll find it really drops into the corners alot easier, and will feel more "nimble"

Satch
12th November 2006, 16:59
So what handling differences can i expect from a higher back end?

How much higher will the rgv shock make my zxr?

Oh yeah

and itll probably lift the back by about 2 inches or more, but then they are for a lighter bike so not the best option if your going to do alot of 2 up riding, or if your just a fatass

Mental Trousers
12th November 2006, 17:02
Before you go spending money the best way to find out what raising the back will do is to either wind up the rear shock preload so the bike doesn't sag as much when you get on it or lift the forks through the tripple clamps a little. Either way, get someone who knows what they're doing to give you a hand to start with. And just do things a little at a time, ie lifting the forks a couple of mm's then test ride. Be careful cos lifting them too much has very bad effects (hence get someone who knows what they're doing to help)

Panther
12th November 2006, 17:03
I'm not really that confident taking pillions, im more keen on making my biker better for the track so i can follow in my forefathers footsteps, or should i say racing boots.

Panther
12th November 2006, 17:06
thanks for that,
the preload at the back has been wound right up already, it didnt make that much difference as the shock is pretty poked and its time for an upgrade, leaking all over the place.

Satch
12th November 2006, 17:07
forefathers?

Panther
12th November 2006, 17:10
Yeah, you know your older relatives, not really the same as foreskin even though it sounds like it and i bet thats what you were thinking of.

but seriously in your opinion is the rgv the best shock to go with?

Satch
12th November 2006, 17:12
Well in my humble opinion, and if your on a budget as most people here tend to be, id go for that as it requires no other modification and wont cost much

if uv got some coin behind you tho go for something aftermarket

Panther
12th November 2006, 17:16
what after market options are there?

Satch
12th November 2006, 17:17
well, not sure actually, probably not that many for your bike as they wernt marketed that wide

try google?

Panther
12th November 2006, 17:20
thanks......!

Gremlin
12th November 2006, 19:09
The same result can be gained by dropping the front end over your forks. This also quickens the steering.

Your best bet is to either have it repaired properly, or replaced, then get somebody that knows what they are doing, to set it up. It can make a massive difference, and really, the 250s are bloody quick handling already.

Lowering the front, or raising the rear will give you a more forward riding position, placing more pressure on your arms as well.

I had my rear jacked right to the top on the 7, and boy, it was lively, with plenty of headshake etc. Once bungy sorted the suspension properly, its been lowered to basically what it was before, but the bike handles better than when the rear was lifted. Tuning bikes is about keeping everything in mind, not changing one thing...

oh, if you're short, raising the rear will also lift your seat height, so if you have short legs, you might need to watch that

Mental Trousers
12th November 2006, 19:19
Seem to be some lovely long legs in the avatar pic so I don't think sallo has to worry to much about the seat height.

Panther
12th November 2006, 19:40
The same result can be gained by dropping the front end over your forks. This also quickens the steering.

Your best bet is to either have it repaired properly, or replaced, then get somebody that knows what they are doing, to set it up. It can make a massive difference, and really, the 250s are bloody quick handling already.

Lowering the front, or raising the rear will give you a more forward riding position, placing more pressure on your arms as well.

I had my rear jacked right to the top on the 7, and boy, it was lively, with plenty of headshake etc. Once bungy sorted the suspension properly, its been lowered to basically what it was before, but the bike handles better than when the rear was lifted. Tuning bikes is about keeping everything in mind, not changing one thing...

oh, if you're short, raising the rear will also lift your seat height, so if you have short legs, you might need to watch that

Dude you have like talked to me on atleast two different occasions before and you don't remember if im a midget or not?!
Remember you told me to get touring tyres on my bike for when i go on the track lol

R6_kid
12th November 2006, 20:01
possibly wont be any aftermarket options available. That shock you've got in there is going good, other option is to get a good condition stock shock and lower the front a little bit. If you really want to go aftermarket all you need to know is the type of mounts at top and bottom, the weight of the bike + rider, and the distance from top to bottom. Then find something similar from another bike, you may then be able to find an Ohlins or something like that, but they are generally $1000+.

Jebe Bruin can possibly rebuild your current shock so that you can actually get use out of the adjustment it has for around $360.

I have a bit of knowledge with setting up suspension, but im not einstein. I could set it up to an 'about right' point and then just fine tune it to what you like. It's all good to listen to other people and have them say what they think is best, but at the end of the day what you like and what you ride best with can only be decided by you trying things for yourself.

Gremlin
12th November 2006, 20:05
Remember you told me to get touring tyres on my bike for when i go on the track lol
errr I had no idea you were going to the track... What I did say tho, was get tyres that suit your riding. Too many people run for the stickiest stuff available, then wonder why the centre of the tyre doesn't exist...

mmm, perhaps I should eye you up some more then? would R6 be ok with that? :dodge:

meh... I seem to be blind when it comes to nuances... you may be average height, but it depends where your height is, legs or body... mind you, you did have a nice little skirt on one time didn't you? :shifty:

woops... where's ol arsesex? :chase:

edit: He's right above :D

justsomeguy
12th November 2006, 20:11
In my opinion the best thing one can do to improve a bikes handling is do as many trackdays on it.

However for those of us that like to blame our tools this is what I did:
Loosebruce played with the fork adjustment thingees on my ZXR C and I had the rear turned about 1 click away from the hardest setting.

On the CBR I dropped the front about 1 inch, put in heavier fork oil and wound the back right up. As a result the bike tipped in like a dream - however I got little tankslappers over pretty much every bump hit at speed - I didn't mind as it just made things more interesting.

Oh and only run GPR70 SP's, they wear like butter but make you feel like God while they last.

My .02 rupees.

Panther
12th November 2006, 20:32
In my opinion the best thing one can do to improve a bikes handling is do as many trackdays on it.

However for those of us that like to blame our tools this is what I did:
Loosebruce played with the fork adjustment thingees on my ZXR C and I had the rear turned about 1 click away from the hardest setting.

On the CBR I dropped the front about 1 inch, put in heavier fork oil and wound the back right up. As a result the bike tipped in like a dream - however I got little tankslappers over pretty much every bump hit at speed - I didn't mind as it just made things more interesting.

Oh and only run GPR70 SP's, they wear like butter but make you feel like God while they last.

My .02 rupees.

Thanks, always good to get a pie free opinion!

texmo
12th November 2006, 20:49
If you are riding your bike hard enough, to need to upgrade the rear shock. IMHO you should upgrade. nsr/rgv/rs all much better bikes.

Shaun
13th November 2006, 11:13
Have sent you a PM

Mole_C
13th November 2006, 19:13
Hmm i might have to look into this aswel. Theres a RGV shock on trademe atm for about $75 is that a good price and would it suit me? 85Kgs, 6"3'

My shocks pretty rooted and i was gonna get Jebe to look at it, as we know him, but no idea if he was doing it for free or charging me :mellow:

Advice?

Panther
13th November 2006, 20:02
Go for it, itl make your bike sexy, like mine.

justsomeguy
30th November 2006, 16:33
So what have you done so far??? What did Shaun recommend?

R6_kid
30th November 2006, 17:52
He hasnt seen her bike yet, so i dont think theres much he can say at the moment.

R6_kid
30th November 2006, 17:55
My shocks pretty rooted and i was gonna get Jebe to look at it, as we know him, but no idea if he was doing it for free or charging me :mellow:

Advice?

Any shock that Jebe has a play with will come back better than standard (thats what im told anyway). I cant tell you thought that if you're ZXR has done more than 40,000km's your shock is well gone. Get a shock that fits, using an RGV shock will save you putting spacers in with standard ZXR shock, but may give way to other problems.

Either way, if you get a chance get shaun to have a look at your suspension setup, well worth the time/money.

grp
10th July 2007, 20:07
Hey, has any1 got some contact details for Jebe Bruin I googled the name but apparently its not that famous. I need help with my ZXR rear shock. Im 95kg so it uses full travel when im riding, even when its wound up to 7(its highest setting).

Just after i bought the bike (93 zxr c model) the shock f**ked out. I replaced it with one I found at a wreckers in aussie, cost me $220NZD to get it and another 80haka to get it shoved in. Aparently the seal on that shock must have already been wasted coz 2months later its lost all its oil and im bouncing round on the spring like a twat.

I am stuggling to find a good solution to this problem, and no-one seems to make an aftermarket option for the ZXRs.

HELP :mellow:

FROSTY
12th July 2007, 22:29
its Tjebbe Bruin --Hes on the North shore of auckland

ZeroIndex
12th July 2007, 22:47
Probably the best, although not the quickest method: Learn to ride p/t The reason MotoGP bikes have such a high tail is the subframe is way different...

grp
12th July 2007, 23:37
Ok thanks. Should I be believing that an RGV 250 shock will fit a zxr250c?? If anyone has one, or if you have a ZXR250a SP shock let me no. I need 1 so willing to pay