PDA

View Full Version : Bears Round 6

Buddha#81
12th November 2006, 21:08
Spent yesterday getting the new FXR ready for its first Mainland outing.

Jumped in the truck this morning and shot around to Dangerous's place to pick up the new Club Slut and headed out to the track. A good day weather wise. First time for along time I had those good nervous jitters (a new bike can do that). Unloaded and signed in the FXR flew through its checks, we're good to goooooooo.

Practice: went out to get the feel of the bike and found that the jetting changes made yesterday made the bike run like a bag of shit, decided to stay out to get a bit of track time up. The bike felt good with a riding position very simular to the old Bucket. the back end felt twitchy, so back to the pits and returned the jetting to original and deflated the BT45 rear to hopefully settle the rear down.

Race 1: Warm up lap felt good.... very good. I gridded up on the front row and waited for flag fall. I got a ok start the FXR is not as quick off the line as the old girl but managed to go into turn 1 in about 4th. Spent the rest of the race trading places with Kickaha and Tony Mac, With a bit of luck and great skill using a back marker I slipped into second on the last lap and held it over the line. Shit hot second on a strange bike. Had some hairy moments with the rear stepping out when pushing it.

Race 2: Made some more carb changes to try to tune out a slight hesitation under transition from the low to high speed jets. Warm up lap the bike was running like a bag of poo and had nothing down low, I started doubting my skill as a carb technition. Gridded up and got a shitter of a start. Ran the race with twostroke type power with nothing untill the main jet came in with a rush and unsettling the rear. I put up with the problems and finished about 6th or 7th an OK result considering.

Race 3: Pulled the carb apart between races and found the the primary jet was blocked, cleaned and fitted a inline filter. Gridded up on row two intending to take it a bit easier with no points at stake. Finished in no mans land between the fast and slow groups.

All in all a good days racing, I'm very happy with the FXR (don't tell anybody). It needs a slick on the rear, a fork seal, and the carb sorted and it should be a good fun wee bike. Now I need to get the CB going for post classics and I will be a happy man.:rockon:

Sketchy_Racer
12th November 2006, 21:24
Hahah..... Good stuff mate!!!

second place ain't nothing to be ashamed of!!

Did you still run the airbox??

How did tyger_tung do on your old CB ??

Buddha#81
12th November 2006, 21:26
Hahah..... Good stuff mate!!!

second place ain't nothing to be ashamed of!!

Did you still run the airbox??

How did tyger_tung do on your old CB ??

Yup stoaked with the 2nd.

Airbox is still on.

TT went well, he will take some beating once he get the old girl sorted.

MattRSK
12th November 2006, 21:27
Good Stuff.

Sketchy_Racer
12th November 2006, 21:28
haha, I bet dangerous gave you endless grief for your fairing....

And in the first race, i assume your brother beat you?

Buddha#81
13th November 2006, 06:05
haha, I bet dangerous gave you endless grief for your fairing....

And in the first race, i assume your brother beat you?

Its hard to deal out the shit when you have just been beaten, Dangerous was very quiet. Big bro rode a proddy MB100 yesterday for entertainment. The first race 4 FXR's finished first.

Joni
13th November 2006, 14:03
Even though I was still full of my cold - I reckon it was a great days racing.

Everyone did really well:

The rider I reckon who has improved so much and so fast is TyfgerTung - you go little dude, I got the fright of my life when I saw you ahead of Kickaha in that one race...

Dangerous: You are getting better and better on the Kat! Was great so see you and DC battling it out to see who gets to the first corner first. :yes:

Spud - Damn, I reckon some people will have to watch out, you were flying out there on that FXR... I reckon once its going 100% and you are more used to it, its going to be great.

Kickaha - you looked great on the bucket - as always i was really proud. I cant wait till next weekend... :love:

Now I know Dangerous gets a wobble if I say the rider of the day was the one who won, but no doubt in my mind, the rider of the day was DieselPig - Neil, what a stunning days riding... you completely showed people how pre82 should be done. The last all in was a biggie for me... stunning! I cant wait to see you and Black Betty at Wanganui...

:first:

TygerTung
13th November 2006, 17:50
Well, what a great day.:scooter:

Worked hard to prepare the new bucket in the previous days to the meeting, picked it up on tuesday not running, called in a days holiday that night, and pulled the thing apart.

Turns out the reason it was seized was a seized big end bearing! So I pulled that apart that night and collected a few cranks up and the heads and the cams and went to see kevin at KG motorcycle services to see what I should do :D

He tells me that you can use a lightweight GL145 crank in it and recomended the second most agressive cam there, and I wacked on the hot head without any dropped valves.

Put the motor back together on thursday after I called in sick to work (wasn't feeling too good, but felt ok when working on the bike in my workshop? funny that :P ) and wacked it in the bike, only for me not able to get it started! Turns out I forgot to put the bolt on which holds the CDI whizz bang spinny thing on, I'm not too expericed with these fancy overhead cam motors.

Got that running on friday but was having heaps of drama's with the carb keeping flooding out of the overflow for some reason. I pulled aparty my spare 200 carby and got the floats, needle and jets out of it, the 200 carby on the superbucket had 100% plastic floats for some reason so you couldn't alter the height, I dropped the float level a bit with the other floats and it seemed to be sweet as.

Had to go on a date on friday night with the girlfriend, otherwise she gets a bit shitty, she got a bit upset that she didn't see me during the week at all cos i was in the workshop the whole time....

On saturday I finished off the fork brace which I started on wedensday along with finishing the superbucket off, had to pull the bloody forks out about three times of the CG due to various mishaps, tried to fix the silly leaking crankshaft with dubious success, will have to look at it tommorow to see if it's fixed or not. Ended up finishing up at the workshop at only 12.30 after packing the trailer and putting all the tools etc in the back of the wagon which wasn't a bad effort, it's usually a bit later.

Got up at a leasurly 9 o clock in the morning, had a delicious breakfast of watties speghetti with sausages on toast after a nice hot shower and jumped in the wagon and headed out towards ruapuna.

After unpacking the bikes and registration I went through scruitineering which is always a bit of a hassle, the CG actually flew through for a change which is pretty rare and I just had to put some valve caps on the superbucket.

Went out for practice to find myself not too far off the pace of the fast group, but the bike was almost unrideable due to very agressive vibrations coming out of the engine, so when I came back in I put as heavy bar weights on the bars as I could to try to dampen out the vibration, new bike felt a bit different around the track, but it was ok.

First race got a second row start, was in front of the slow group and was at the back of the fast group but was a bit off the pace and drifted behind a bit while I got used to the bike.

Second race went good, was in the middle of the fast group, was coming about 14th towards the end but on the last lap I took out tony I think and just before the finish line took out some other dude with some sexy leathers similar to mine.:scooter:

Third race was well wicked as I was much more used to the bike and was fuckin flying! knee down every corner pretty much and was even getting the odd foot down as I leaned the bike over massivly, was going really well with a good front row start, and got a wicked 6th place which is REALLY good, was very happy with that, beating the old owner which was great! just need a little more power as a couple of bikes were just slowly edging past me so I lost a couple of places, but it shouldn't be hard to get a bit more power out of the beast theres a few areas for improvment so she'll go hard.

She definatly needs an engine balance and I'll change the pipe, needs stiffer valve springs and I'll put on a lightweight RM125 flywheel. Also need to port out the inlet manifolt to match the head and might try a bigger carb. Had a great time and can't wait to race again! :lol: :scooter:

dangerous
13th November 2006, 17:51
I had been looking forward to the last BEARs round for a while, so was kinda amped for it. The day started rather slowish with the MB100 dancing all over the track turn 0ne being the worse as it turns into a negative camber half way across and was covered in rubber from cars.
The Kat had new braids and the anti dive had been removed, so I was unsure how it was going to behaive.

Race 1 in both classes (F4 & post classic) I was draging the chain a little, was getting the feeling that it was going to be one of those days were it dosnt all come togeather as good as it could. Unsure were I finished in both races in the feild, but it was further back than I usually would be.

Race 2
Buckets, I pulled my finger out of my arse and hauled passed the checkered in 5th place (2nd KBer home) however in the the last lap the front wheel went out as I bumped over the neg camber on turn 1, to my suprise I held on to it but drifted wide and loosing my right leg off the peg... I knew kick was up my arse somewere so all I could hope was that he was laughing so hard tears were streaming down his face and he couldnt keep up.

Post classic, was feeling better on the Kat so hit the turns a bit harder and finished about 6th again... bloody hell them 350/400 2 strokers are like fox terriers nipping at ya heals the hole time.

Race 3
F4, well it was fuck around time so I offered my MB100 77gp replica to Rashika and I rode my old faithfull CB125T which I had lent out to Kawaka Kid for the day. Love that slow old girl, just keep the juce on,Knee down and haul on around, dont think I finished much behind were I did on the fast MB.

Post classic, Tried offereing the Kat out for a swap to Kick, Stanko, Diesel... but no takers, so did a deal with JB and floged his RD400.
Quite different to the 350LC's is the old air head 400, more snot at lowere reves and a longer more stable power band, however launching was interesting.

Sweet day all... well I mean anyday were we can walk to the on site bar is a sweet day aye... till next time.

pic 1) Thunder, X7
2) Rashika, 250 LC
3) Stanko, 350 LC
4) Diesel, CBX 550
5) Mad Andy, MZ 250
6) Dangerous, 750 Kat

dangerous
13th November 2006, 17:59
1) Kickaha, 350 LC
2) TonyB, 750 Monster
3) Kick, Spud, Dangerous / FXR, FXR, MB
4) TygerTung, CB150 rg rep
5) TonyB, GP125
6)Thunder, FXR

dangerous
13th November 2006, 18:04
1) Dangerous MB100 77gp rep
2) Rashika RZ150fxr
3) diesel GP100LC TZ
4) Stanko FXR

Thanks to SuzyQ for all the pics.

Kickaha
13th November 2006, 19:34
I’d had a serious case of cantbefuckeditis the night before this event and was considering not even doing it, when I woke up the next day I still didn’t feel any better but dragged myself out of bed and loaded up and headed off the track, as usual the bike breezed through scrutineering

Bucket practice

Within a couple of laps I was feeling much better and feeling a lot more comfortable on the bike than I have for ages, I see Diesel Pig off the track and not learning from his last bout of mechanical ineptitude had his flywheel fall off again

Coming through the dipper and there’s James off the edge of the track after falling on his arse, next lap and there’s another young guy down after seizing at full noise down the front straight, apart from that practice was fairly uneventful :lol:

Pre82 Practice

Stanko had lent me a different front end to try out as I was having a few problems with the original LC front end pattering quite badly and as it turned it made no difference whatsoever, so I wasn’t feeling to happy with it

Race 1 Buckets

I got my launch just about right but was still 4th into turn one, Spud and TonyMac just in front of me I hook into the sweeper and hard on the gas start an outside pass which takes me the length of the straight to pull along side TonyMac with Spudracer on the inside moving into second and I’m on the outside getting squeezed onto the grass so I have to back out, next lap and I get the run up on the inside and take both of them into turn one and move into second, another lap down and they haven’t got back past

Into turn one we come up behind a lapped rider and as we tip in he clips the inside curb and bounces across the track, I run out wide to avoid him as I’m sure he’s going down and end up out on the grass and four bloody bikes blow past me and demote me to 6th which is where I finish:spudwhat:

Race 1 Pre82

Up on the front row and as Divvo said later “your starts really suck” and I’m at the back of the bunch into turn 1, I get stuck behind a 500 Pantah for a few laps and the faster guys are gone, I’ve got a Ducati 860, Z1000 and RD400 in front of me and while they’re bloody slow through the corners they have enough HP down the straight that I cant make it past them and I have a frustrating few laps until the end of the race

Race 2 Buckets

Just about a copy of the first race except Diesel Pig has joined in I’m lining him up to pass around the outside of the sweeper when he suddenly stands up and runs wide and pushes me out wide and Spudracer and TonyMac on the inside of him motor on through, a lap later and I’ve caught up with them and I’m working out how to get past when Diesel Pig and James shove it up the inside of the three of us into turn 1:gob: , James clips the curb and gets loose and I’m wondering how I’m going to avoid the multi bike pile up I’m sure is going to happen when he gets it semi under control and we carry on at the same hectic pace to race end

Race 2 Pre82

The start I get in this one makes the one in the first race look good, I tried a different technique which sucked even more than my normal one and it takes me ½ a lap to catch and pass Stanko, Rob passes me on another LC and I chase after him, he gets the 860 Ducati in between us, I’m trying to draft the Ducati down the straight when he misses a gear and I just about rear end him, back onto chasing Rob and then through the S-bends he pulls off with a seized motor, I set out after the Pantah but run out of laps

Race 3 Buckets

My first duffed Bucket start for the day although I make it back up within a couple of laps and get onto the back of the front group, Diesel Pig has decided to stop dicking about and has got to the front and cleared off, the pace is so even with the group basically unless someone cocks up or grows bigger balls it is very hard to pass, it takes me until the last lap to try a pass on TygerTung and I have it nailed around the sweeper and on the outside down to the flag, I see him check the left side and there’s no one there and then as he looks back I’m alongside but he probably beat me by millimetres:angry:

Race 3 All in Pre82/BEARs

I swap bikes with Stanko and we get off the line pretty much together, his bikes much nicer than mine, pulls higher revs and handles nicer with his spanky Avon race tyres, I get held up for a bit by some slow guy on his first outing on a Ducati Monster and that lets every else get to far ahead, I’m pulling the 500 Pantah back in but run out of laps

A excellent day and I was really happy with the way I was riding the bucket but not so much with the RD350 as guys I’ve normally kept up with and beaten before absolutely dicked me, thinking about after riding Stanko’s bike I now lack confidence in the way my front end is and it’s slowing me down so that’s on the fixit list and maybe some practice out the back roads somewhere on my starts :yes:

gav
13th November 2006, 19:58
Were you racing "B" track?

Kickaha
13th November 2006, 20:08

Tri Oval on the buckets, full track on everything else

stanko
13th November 2006, 20:08

Nah , Tri Oval

gav
13th November 2006, 20:18
Thanks! Kickaha just beat you out again, huh Stanko?

TygerTung
13th November 2006, 20:20
Oh was that you who was neck and neck with me on the last lap of the last race kickha? That was really funny 'cos I wasn't looking where I was going after we went over the finish line and I went straight through, though I saw somone else did just in front of me:gob: :scooter:

How was my riding, I scraped a foot as well as a knee at the same time that race, was I getting the bike lent over quite far?

stanko
13th November 2006, 20:21
I couldnt get out of bed early enough, packed my lunch , then mucked around for a couple of hours before setting out for my big days racing.

I had my new trade me tyres on the LC, and the FXR was ready as always.

I was feeling pretty brave and in each race the usual suspects didnt dissapear into the distance quite as fast as normal, I think the Greymouth street race exorcised a few deamons. In the last race in pre 82 I swapped bikes with Kickaha, I thought his bike would be similar to mine but it wasnt, it was just horrible. It squeaked round right handers and shuddered badly round the sweeper plus too many other things to remember, but then he has no trouble seeing me off on it so it cant have been as bad as I thought.

Race 3 in the buckets let me squeak past Dangerous on his CB which used to disapear into the distance.

Awesome day out, great turnout from the KBers as usual, and a couple of new faces in the F4.

Now I just need to make the LC faster to make up for my lack of bravery ( and just in case Kickaha decides to fix his engine)

Yes Gav Ive still got my gardening gloves on

TonyB
13th November 2006, 20:25
Spent Saturday doing 1 hours work on the Monster.... it took all day. With marriage patched up I headed off to Ruapuna early (for me) on Sunday. Holy shit I even beat Dangerous there!

The Monster needed some serious lockwiring, so yet again I mooched off Stanko- the idea being that I’d do it- apparently my effort wasn’t up to scratch tho, cause I was demoted to clutch and brake bleeding. Big thanks to Don from Pitlane for lending the vacuum bleeder, shit that thing makes life easy!

The Monster flew through scrutineering, I had to laugh when Speedy Girl saw me pushing it along- her mouth popped open and she started spluttering “what th…whe….how…….nice bike!” I’m still coming to grips with the fact its mine too… The bucket got through again, but the back wheel was wobbling a lot more than usual. I was puzzling over it when Stanko pointed out that some of the spokes were so loose they were rattling. Caused by the crash in Greymouth???

Bucket practice went OK, I could see immediately that TygerTung was going to be quick now that he had a good bucket under him- awesome stuff mate, a few of us are expecting big things from you. Next was F1/F2 practice- I wobbled out on the Monster for my first ever ride, aside from a 30second blat the day before, but sadly didn’t even complete the first lap before she broke down. I knew of two possible suspects- either a kink in the fuel line or the main relay, which had played up the night before. ‘Twas the fuel line, so after a bit of cranking she fired up and I managed one lap. Things went much better in Super Stock practice, aside from a bad stutter on partial throttle, which made my two least favourite corners (hairpin and dipper) a bloody nightmare! Oh well, the handling was the best I’ve had, the Brembo brakes were awesome, and the soundtrack was magnificent.

I flagged the bucket after the first race, with various reasons for this- lack of fitness, trouble adapting to the Monster, and a bit of a wobble in the back wheel from my amateur spoke tightening all adding up to “Meh, can’t be bothered” The races on the Monster all went according to plan. The plan was to take it easy and wobble around at the back while learning to ride it. So, on that basis, the plan worked astoundingly well! A bit too well actually…. I was last in every race… VERY last. Meh. I had fun!

By the time the All In came around, Le Mans and I had decided the monster was running lean at small throttle openings, because the stutter was very bad for about 2 laps then it got better, almost disappearing by lap 4… or was that rich…hmmmm. He thought rich, I thought lean. It wouldn’t idle either.. lean??? So finally after 6 races I finally realized I had to adapt to the problem, by trying to square the corners off (brake,stop,turn, whack the taps open and go) early on, and then try and flow more later in the race. It KIND of worked, but on reflection, the lines I used early on weren’t right for squaring off. For once I didn’t finish last, but I was holding people up and eventually Dangerous got by me on an RD400… which says it all really. I got by him once, he repassed, then I sat behind him and let him do his own thing in the tight sections, so he got away.

I was supposed to ring up and enquire about having the carbs looked at today, but never got round to it. So will probably race in clubmans and buckets this w/e for some more track time….. if my wife lets me…

gav
13th November 2006, 20:28
So what track is being used for the Xmas round?

stanko
13th November 2006, 20:32
Thanks! Kickaha just beat you out again, huh Stanko?

Are you so old you forgot you posted this already?

Joni
13th November 2006, 20:35
Are you so old you forgot you posted this already?Hehehe thats what I was thinking, age does strange things to a man :yes:

gav
13th November 2006, 20:41
Friggen internet, upgraded (hah!) to some latest Broadband plan, its just bollocks, keeps dropping the connection etc. I hit the rfresh button, tells me that my post is the same as the first one, and it'll take me to my original post, but its posted it twice, farked if I know whats going on, suspect xtra overload or something...

Rashika
14th November 2006, 08:33
and maybe some practice out the back roads somewhere on my starts :yes:

yup, thats just one of the areas for me to work on.

The brakes on Elsie were the hold up for me initially... was even thought that I may not have been able to race after dangerous was making motions about Elsie being pushed off the end of a BIG boat :gob: :(
But after a whole lotta work on Saturday, and swearing (I'm pretty sure there was an awful lot of that, I didn't hang around to find out) he managed to get the brakes to stop grabbing all the time and she was good to go. After hearing all the sqeaking going on while i was racing, i was being extra cautious for the practice & first race, but it was feeling good so i relaxed a little and started to race a bit.

Got caught behind 2 ducatis on the 2nd race, spent the whole time trying to get past the back one, finally did it in the dipper (wow for me!) on the last lap, no chance to catch the front one, oh well...
next time the plan was to make sure I was infront of them at the start, and that would have worked a treat if a certain someone on a 350Lc hadn't duffd up the start so i got bogged as well trying a avoid him, so that let her back in front of me again...but i must have be improving cos i got her in the dipper (again?! bugger me I thought as I went past, I actually CAN pass here!) on about the 3rd lap and then managed to get enough ahead that she couldn't pass on the straight and was able to leave her behind this time
tried to attempt to catch up on the other 350LC and one ducati monster being chased by said Lc, but just not enough race left, still I had a heap of fun trying ;)
Was an awesome day all up

As for the bucket, well it has gone from being so damn cramped to being ajust a bit too high so that I can barely touch the ground and had all my weight on my arms and couldn't get my position right, tho it did improve as the day wore on, so more work required on that. The tri-oval is an interesting track, very short but had some fun with some of the guys eh Kwaka Kid~ or whatever he wants to call himself when he gets his A into G and onto KB! Good to see you out that having a go... now we just need to find you a bucket of your own ;)

Joni
14th November 2006, 09:34
The tri-oval is an interesting track, very short but had some fun with some of the guys eh Kwaka Kid! Sorry I dont mean to be rude but who is this Kwaka Kid you refer to, because I did not see my good friend Logan anywhere :spudwhat:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=178

Rashika
14th November 2006, 09:55
Sorry I dont mean to be rude but who is this Kwaka Kid you refer to, because I did not see my good friend Logan anywhere :spudwhat:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=178

obviously its a different one, not sure if he is actually on kb yet, i thought he was but it might be the other forum.

Joni
14th November 2006, 09:58
obviously its a different one, not sure if he is actually on kb yet, i thought he was but it might be the other forum. Maybe we can suggest he chooses another name on KB, as he would be naming himself after an iconic member and KB Mod, there can only be one KK, but hey Im biased :sunny:

:D

Rashika
14th November 2006, 17:15
Maybe we can suggest he chooses another name on KB, as he would be naming himself after an iconic member and KB Mod, there can only be one KK, but hey Im biased :sunny:

yup, I'm sure he will figure that one out if/when he EVER gets on here. We keep talking about him, but its not as much fun if he doesn't get on here and read it :innocent:
maybe if I talk about him getting beaten by a girl, not once... but twice on Sunday :shutup: Think that will work? ;)

SpeedyGirl
15th November 2006, 07:06
The Monster flew through scrutineering, I had to laugh when Speedy Girl saw me pushing it along- her mouth popped open and she started spluttering “what th…whe….how…….nice bike!”

:yes: yeah baby, tis a beauuutttiiiiiiiful bike.......:love:

Joni
15th November 2006, 19:05
Can someone kindly translate what Dangerous just said for me...:sunny:

Kickaha
15th November 2006, 19:15
Can someone kindly translate what Dangerous just said for me...:sunny:

no problem

and the girls on the Duc's

He was just saying that TonyB is a girl for riding a Ducati

Joni
15th November 2006, 19:37
are you blind.. do you want me to spell it out... believe it or not but there are females racing out there, and females flag marshling, FFS I was saying good effort to them... surley its not that hard to understand Ooooo did someone forget to take their grumpy pill this morning :spanking:

TonyB
17th November 2006, 09:05
He was just saying that TonyB is a girl for riding a Ducati
Well, it was only the fairer sex that said they were jealous.