PDA

View Full Version : SV650 Mufflerectomy

hsvboy06
13th November 2006, 08:53
I can't afford a new exhaust for my bike at the moment (and may struggle to ever convince 'er in doors that it's worth spending money on) but I found this site that explains a cheap alternative for getting more noise:

http://www.svrider.com/tips/mufflerectomy.htm
Anyone who owns an SV650 knows that the stock muffler makes the engine sound like a lawnmower. If you want better sound without the expense of aftermarket exhaust and rejetting, go down to the local hardware and pick up a drill bit extension (approx. 13" long) and a good quarter inch steel cutting bit. Chuck the extended bit into your drill and insert it into the end of the muffler until it bottoms against the inner baffle plate. Carefully drill through the baffle in three or four equally spaced places (use a flashlight). Don't worry about the shavings since they will be trapped or blown out and cannot reach the motor. Add holes till you get the amount of sound you want. You won't believe how much better it will sound with no loss in performance. Later on, when the piggy bank is fat, spring for a slip on and rejett with a K&N filter. It's worth the price in performance gains, believe me!

Has anyone here tried this?

I'm the sort of person that definitely would worry about the shavings getting into the motor - is it true that they won't be able to?

Does anyone know where to buy a 13" drill extension? I've tried the local Placemakers and Mitre10 but they didn't have one.

Thanks!

marty
13th November 2006, 09:20
shavings won't reach the engine, but they will rust inside the exhaust, plus it is rough as guts to leave swarf inside something after drilling it.

can you not remove the muffler, take the end cap off and do a proper job? an engineering shop (paykels or similar) should have a long drill/extension.

while you've got the can off, get it polished. $50 for your 'new' zorst :)

kickingzebra
13th November 2006, 09:31
one piece system on SVs isn't it? bearing that in mind, you could remove the system, and try and work so gravitry removes the swarf for you, use a magnet (telescopic) to get anything that doesn't come by itself.
Placemakers etc won't carry it, but they can order, though the price may shock you, suggest trying to bludge/borrow one for a tray of beer from an engineering shop.

skelstar
13th November 2006, 09:40
Did a bafflectomy on my Hornet. 10x better sounding. 45mins for two cans.

Just use a magnet to get the dross out. I used cutting oil which kept the dross on the drill/opening.

Shaun
13th November 2006, 13:23
Just cut off the original muffler, have a plate made that will bolt onto an aftermarket muffler, weld plate on and bingo, a proper job

cowpoos
13th November 2006, 13:42
Just cut off the original muffler, have a plate made that will bolt onto an aftermarket muffler, weld plate on and bingo, a proper job
or get a slip on....or make it a slip on after the bafflectimy