PDA

View Full Version : Ladies' group...

Shazz
13th November 2006, 19:02
Is it possible to make the choice to only have a bike, ie two wheels and not four, without the assumption that you are either a 'hard ...itch' or a 'dyke'.
And least I suggest that I enjoy the company of men who ride bikes rather than men who race boy-cars! Geez that gets the 'boys' going!
But, can a girl ride with other girls, go out and spend a bit of time roaring around the roads, stop for a great coffee and scone and then get home without the third degree from her mate!
Maybe I am trying too hard!
Oh well, no man, and just my bike... a choice I will make any day!
:scooter: :sunny:

merv
13th November 2006, 19:05
Nah just do it!! Its what blokes do with other blokes so it must be OK and blokes do it with Chicks too so that proves its OK!!

On another thread there was our Welly girl Str8 being called a Princess which doesn't sound like your 'hard ... etc'

Instead of third degree from your mate does your mate need a bike too to fix the perception?

Ride on!

p.s. cool profile pic by the way.

smokeyging
13th November 2006, 19:41
yep, go for it. if it's good enough for the boys...and bugger the other half.

skelstar
13th November 2006, 19:50
Who gives a flying f**k what anyone else thinks? If youre having a good time then thats all that matters.

Panther
13th November 2006, 20:00
ok i think i have established the problem...
where in manawatu are you residing, or do you ride?

bert_is_evil
14th November 2006, 06:57
....that you are either a 'hard ...itch'.....

A hard itch? do you mean like crabs? Perhaps you are wiggling round in your seat as you ride - try to sit more still.

klingon
14th November 2006, 15:50
It's funny to hear so many women saying people think they're a dyke because they ride a bike. The irony for me is that people think I'm a dyke all the time and I only bought my first bike today! Maybe because I wear 'sensible shoes' and I don't flirt with the boys. Funny what people feel they can judge you on.

Anyway, I haven't started wearing strappy little high heels (because it's hard to walk in them) I'm not about to start flirting with the boys (because none of them are cute enough) and I am going to start riding my bike at every opportunity.

People can think what they want. While they're busy thinking, I'll be having fun.

Qkchk
14th November 2006, 15:53
The irony for me is that people think I'm a dyke all the time and I only bought my first bike today! ............

OOoooooooooooo tell us more..... are you going to bring it on Thursday to show us?

elle-f
14th November 2006, 19:06
Nah, dont worry about what they say. i bought my first decent bike years ago when i was 19 -well, it was decent to me! and guys used to always assume that i was a little *different*! not sure about these days but hell, it cracks me up!

skelstar
14th November 2006, 19:11
Ok...strange. I never have had the notion that a woman riding I motorcycle should be classified in any 'bracket'. I guess it may be that in Wellington pretty much most of the women that ride can kick my arse on the road (and life in general lol). I put this down to skill...not orientation.

Im not sure I was very articulate there.

Lissa
14th November 2006, 19:31
I say don't worry about what other people think... they are prob jealous. I dont think I have ever seen a 'women' on a bike and thought they were a dyke, I was usually too full of admiration. Anyway, more and more women are learning to ride... that stereo type will fade away.

Uncle B
14th November 2006, 20:31
Go for It.......who gives a damm what people think of ya. There just jealous cause they aint riding.

The women riders that I know would have to be the nicest, down to earth people that I have ever met. And like Skelstar said, most of them would give the boys a run for their money on the road.

skelstar
14th November 2006, 20:36
And like Skelstar said, most of them would give the boys a run for their money on the road.
Now now UB...I said they 'kick our arse'.

Uncle B
14th November 2006, 20:46
Hey, you've done over 4000 posts

Too much time on your hands

skelstar
14th November 2006, 20:50
Dammit. I missed it.

Ah crap...it was in the 'Biker Angels' forum too.

Crap weather, can't ride so have to post :).

Uncle B
14th November 2006, 21:09
Ah crap...it was in the 'Biker Angels' forum too.
Perhapse you should name your bike Bobby-sue :Pokey:

The Stranger
14th November 2006, 21:09
Is it possible to make the choice to only have a bike, ie two wheels and not four, without the assumption that you are either a 'hard ...itch' or a 'dyke'.
And least I suggest that I enjoy the company of men who ride bikes rather than men who race boy-cars! Geez that gets the 'boys' going!
But, can a girl ride with other girls, go out and spend a bit of time roaring around the roads, stop for a great coffee and scone and then get home without the third degree from her mate!

So you have a problem with dykes then?

Alice
15th November 2006, 06:59
Its hard to understand where they get that one from, I would just laugh and not worry about it.
Just as the guys enjoy spending time with there mates, the gals also equally enjoy hanging aroung with their friends, hey and you cook, thats gotta be good, love to eat specially if someone else is doing the cooking.
Guys need guy time and gals need gal time, its part of the balance.

Kendog
15th November 2006, 09:11
The women riders that I know would have to be the nicest, down to earth people that I have ever met.

Ohhhh, thanks Uncle B!
You obviously haven't seen me when I'm pissed! :apint: :wacko: :stupid:
Mrs KD.

Shazz
15th November 2006, 15:51
No I don't actually, they are human beings just like me, but it's the 'assumption' that gets my gander!

bert_is_evil
15th November 2006, 15:57
am not
10 char

The Stranger
15th November 2006, 16:17
No I don't actually, they are human beings just like me, but it's the 'assumption' that gets my gander!

Forget it. Some will always be ignorant.

Most of the women bikers I know just tend to be more confident, and perhaps assertive than average. I think this just confuses the poor souls.

Nothing you can do about that, so don't worry.

Colapop
15th November 2006, 17:05
So if you have/had a car and went "out with the girls" to have coffe/chat/visit museums/crochet (and whatever else chicks do) then you're straigght but if you ride a bike and do the same things then you're bent? Give a flying f*ck. Do what you want it's not your hang up - it's theirs. Don't let it become your hang up. Homophobia is caring what others think of you.

mstriumph
15th November 2006, 17:18
Originally Posted by Uncle B
The women riders that I know would have to be the nicest, down to earth people that I have ever met.

Ohhhh, thanks Uncle B!
You obviously haven't seen me when I'm pissed! :apint: :wacko: :stupid:
Mrs KD.

nor me, either :innocent:

Nicksta
15th November 2006, 18:58
chick, just do what you want and be what you want... although i've never been called butch or a dyke for riding.. i have had many (including fellow bikers) say i shouldnt ride cos i'm a girl.. or too small to ride.... i just think bugger them.... and brought a beautiful new GSXR600.. and yes.. my toes touch the ground (on both sides)....
it doesnt matter what others think..... its what makes you happy...

Colapop
15th November 2006, 19:05
nor me, either :innocent:
she like this...

Kendog
15th November 2006, 19:56
oh yeah that's pretty, that's better than me though, at least she's standing! :shit: cheeky bugger!

Shazz
15th November 2006, 20:43
chick, just do what you want and be what you want... although i've never been called butch or a dyke for riding.. i have had many (including fellow bikers) say i shouldnt ride cos i'm a girl.. or too small to ride.... i just think bugger them.... and brought a beautiful new GSXR600.. and yes.. my toes touch the ground (on both sides)....
it doesnt matter what others think..... its what makes you happy...

Yeah thanks for that, I don't worry anymore. :yes:

klingon
16th November 2006, 09:19
OOoooooooooooo tell us more..... are you going to bring it on Thursday to show us?

Can't bring it on Thursday because
a) it needs a bit of work (mirrors, chain)
b) I don't have my learner's yet (theory this week!)
c) my chauffeur says he won't ride it with me on the back when he has a perfectly good SV1000S sitting in the garage (I don't understand this - a Volty is stylier than an SV any day of the week... maybe he thinks he'll be mistaken for a dyke?)

Mack the Knife and Heavenly Talker have alreadyseen it so they can vouch that I'm not just imagining it. Now that I think about it, Mack has ridden it and I haven't yet

:crybaby:

:angry:

Fatjim
16th November 2006, 09:28
I don't think chicks should be judged as dykes if they ride a bike, but I think it's a plus if they go both ways.

bert_is_evil
16th November 2006, 09:43
Oh cummon, any chick who rides a bike must be a dyke
:corn: :corn: :corn: :corn:

mstriumph
16th November 2006, 14:11
she like this...

hell no :gob: --- she looks much gentler than i am

and i wouldn't be seen dead in pink!!

...... or beige .........:innocent:

mstriumph
16th November 2006, 14:13

- your mum & your missus ride bikes then? :innocent:

bert_is_evil
16th November 2006, 19:57
- your mum & your missus ride bikes then? :innocent:

ARE YOU CALLING MY MISSUS A DYKE?????
That's fine but I think she prefers "queer"...

Colapop
16th November 2006, 19:59
I think I'm a lesbian - I like women alot more than men.

Isn't a dyke like a dam? If you get a hole in one it can be plugged with your finger...

KATWYN
16th November 2006, 20:11
I reakon those assumptions are so archaic (sp) that woman who ride motorcycles
are gay ....sheeesh

Just a thought.....would that mean that woman that ride bicycles
are bisexual?? and what about if a woman owns a jetski?? ...or heaven forbid
rides a horse or pilots a plane. What about a woman that rides a unicycle.....

...and is a woman on a scooter assumed to be gay....or is it just the bigger sport bike riders and cruisers that fit the "description".....I mean, my posty rides a scooter bike - I should conduct some research and ask her next time she delivers my mail if she is gay. :innocent: perhaps the bigger
the cc bike the more likely a woman is to be gay :laugh: oh the mind boggles.

This has been an interesting topic in some other threads.

Gay,bi, tri, A, or straight -woman who ride bikes just love to ride bikes!!! its a thrill!!! yeehaa

Colapop
16th November 2006, 20:18
Hey whoa on there girlie! You'll be suggesting that girls can be mechanic's or builders next!! God forbid you ever entertain the idea that women will be allowed to vote.

bert_is_evil
16th November 2006, 20:38
When I was a kid I wanted to be a mechanic but my dad said I couldn't as no one would hire a woman. Now I work in IT Project management. Sigh :(

bert_is_evil
16th November 2006, 21:34
plumber on an oil rig?

Shazz
17th November 2006, 16:51
But how the heck can we go left and right at the same time, it's bad enough going forward and backwards, ha ha ha

Shazz
17th November 2006, 16:52

Evil little man!:bye:

Shazz
17th November 2006, 16:53
I reakon those assumptions are so archaic (sp) that woman who ride motorcycles
are gay ....sheeesh

Just a thought.....would that mean that woman that ride bicycles
are bisexual?? and what about if a woman owns a jetski?? ...or heaven forbid
rides a horse or pilots a plane. What about a woman that rides a unicycle.....

...and is a woman on a scooter assumed to be gay....or is it just the bigger sport bike riders and cruisers that fit the "description".....I mean, my posty rides a scooter bike - I should conduct some research and ask her next time she delivers my mail if she is gay. :innocent: perhaps the bigger
the cc bike the more likely a woman is to be gay :laugh: oh the mind boggles.

This has been an interesting topic in some other threads.

Gay,bi, tri, A, or straight -woman who ride bikes just love to ride bikes!!! its a thrill!!! yeehaa

True the assumption is usually only made by a woman who has a man, who likes the idea that a WOMAN rides a great big throbbing machine, other than him! hahahahahah:Punk:

Shazz
17th November 2006, 16:54
Hey whoa on there girlie! You'll be suggesting that girls can be mechanic's or builders next!! God forbid you ever entertain the idea that women will be allowed to vote.

Hey Calapop, you and me got to meet sometimes, I think you need to have a perception realighnment session with me, hahahahahah, lol Gosh I'm funny!:rockon:

Shazz
17th November 2006, 16:55
When I was a kid I wanted to be a mechanic but my dad said I couldn't as no one would hire a woman. Now I work in IT Project management. Sigh :(

Maybe then you could be a mechanic on the side, cause when all the computers and all this modern crap goes bunk you will still be able to perform that which most of the males are unable too. hehehehe

bert_is_evil
17th November 2006, 16:59
Evil little man!:bye:

I'm not a man!!
Forget being mistaken for a dyke - what about being mistaken for a man :no:

Which begs the question, which is more offensive to women, being mistaken for a dyke or being mistaken for a man because you're riding a bike?

Shazz
17th November 2006, 17:01
I'm not a man!!

Which begs the question, which is more offensive to women, being mistaken for a dyke or being mistaken for a man because you're riding a bike?

Sorry but that was not what I intended, I did realise you are a women, truely, it just wrote out that way wrong. My apologies, truely.

bert_is_evil
17th November 2006, 17:06
I don't beleive you! You thought I was a man - oh, the horror! I feel faint!

but seriously, I have been called "mate" a couple of times at service stations when I've gone in there with my helmet on which left me wondering if they'd presumed I was a guy. Rather traumatic. Must get tighter leathers to show womanly bumps.

KATWYN
17th November 2006, 17:13

:laugh:

Just breath in and breath out slow deep breaths....heres a paper bag

Colapop
17th November 2006, 17:59
I don't beleive you! You thought I was a man - oh, the horror! I feel faint...
C'mon bro - we know you're only a cyber-girl!

Shazz
17th November 2006, 19:06
C'mon bro - we know you're only a cyber-girl!

Ah guys stop being mean.....:innocent:

Shazz
17th November 2006, 19:07

but seriously, I have been called "mate" a couple of times at service stations when I've gone in there with my helmet on which left me wondering if they'd presumed I was a guy. Rather traumatic. Must get tighter leathers to show womanly bumps.

Well how can I make it up to ya, I did know that you were a women!

Keystone19
17th November 2006, 21:48
Yeah, one of my 5 year old daughter's ballet friends asked if I was a mummy or a daddy the other day. I told her that last time I looked I was a mummy. I didn't even have my riding gear on. Now I really am traumatised. Perhaps I should grow my hair a bit longer...

The Stranger
18th November 2006, 12:23
Oh stuff that. geez kids say some dumb things sometimes. If only some of them knew what their little verbal observations can do to other peoples feelings!

Yeah, the little shits, how dare they be honest in their opinions. Must knock that out of them promptly.

KATWYN
18th November 2006, 15:17
Yeah, the little shits, how dare they be honest in their opinions. Must knock that out of them promptly.

Yea thats right ....NOT.

Remember that when you feel like crap cos one of them told you in their opinion they thought you were ugly/fat/old/wrinkly/were a woman/pimply/had bad breath etc etc in front of an audience.....then tell
yourself they were only being honest :laugh:

On the flipside, they say some pretty cool things to people too!

Oh sorry this has gone off topic :done:

Shazz
18th November 2006, 16:12

I'm glad that mine are all grown up, cause there were times that I remember getting in that sort of pickle too.
And thanks for the comments, it's been heaps of fun reading through them.
:third:

klingon
19th November 2006, 20:06
Yeah, one of my 5 year old daughter's ballet friends asked if I was a mummy or a daddy the other day. I told her that last time I looked I was a mummy. I didn't even have my riding gear on. Now I really am traumatised. Perhaps I should grow my hair a bit longer...

ha ha ha ha that had me laughing out loud, keystone.

Adults can be just as bad though. I remmeber when I was about five years old and catching a bus to school and an old lady said to the driver "I'll just sit next to this nice little boy." I yelled "I'M A GIRL!"

Now I think about it, the "old lady" was probably about 40... how perceptions change...

klingon
19th November 2006, 20:11
which is more offensive to women, being mistaken for a dyke or being mistaken for a man because you're riding a bike?

Actually I think they're both funny. It makes me laugh when I'm mistaken for all kinds of things that I'm not... I've been mistaken for an Asian (on the phone), a dyke, a bloke, a Christian, an Indian... I've even been mistaken for an Australian when I've been overseas. Now I think about it, that was probably the most offensive.:dodge:

mstriumph
20th November 2006, 15:34
I'm not a man!!

ok - funny story time :yes:

i've been riding since pontius was a student pilot ... :innocent: but i digress ...

in those long ago, far-off, beginning days i usta CARE wat people thought soooooooo, riding gear in weatherweary UK being totally asexual and gender-blurring and most riders at that time being of the bloke-persuasion i usta wear bright pink lipstick so peoples could see i was a gal-on-a-bike ......

worked well i thought - until this one day when, stopped at a traffic light where this little kid was waitinging to cross the road with his mum
and i heard him say, horrified, "hey Mum look - that man's wearing LIPSTICK!" :shit:

... priceless!! ......

for everything else there's mastercard ...

The Stranger
20th November 2006, 15:49
Remember that when you feel like crap cos one of them told you in their opinion they thought you were ugly/fat/old/wrinkly/were a woman/pimply/had bad breath etc etc in front of an audience.....then tell
yourself they were only being honest

Nah, sorry, can't say I have ever been there.
But I share your pain, must of been hard for you.

LilSel
20th November 2006, 15:53
I'm not a man!!

I get mistaken for a guy all the time...
In the cage... on the bike... by police... 'excuse me sir' etc... :laugh:

Lissa
20th November 2006, 16:20
Well at least they think you are an adult... I get rung up by some people and get asked if they could speak to my parents. But on the bright note, I get asked for ID at the bottle store... and I am 32. :D

KATWYN
20th November 2006, 17:26
Nah, sorry, can't say I have ever been there.
But I share your pain, must of been hard for you.

I guess you wouldn't have, kids do tend to stay away from the "scary looking man"

Shazz
21st November 2006, 15:53
Well at least they think you are an adult... I get rung up by some people and get asked if they could speak to my parents. But on the bright note, I get asked for ID at the bottle store... and I am 32. :D

Oh hell, when was the last time I was asked for ID..... um... can't remember!
Oh to be young again, or think that I am! hehehehe
Someone said to me one "you are only as old as the man you feel" goes a bit against the grain with this subject aye, hahahaha.

NighthawkNZ
21st November 2006, 19:53

The only third degree you would get from me would be... Wahhhh hows comes I couldnt go for a ride too :drool: ... oh well I go with my mates then :p

Lissa
21st November 2006, 20:17
Oh hell, when was the last time I was asked for ID..... um... can't remember!
Oh to be young again, or think that I am! hehehehe
Someone said to me one "you are only as old as the man you feel" goes a bit against the grain with this subject aye, hahahaha.

"you are only as old as the man you feel"? darn.. always gone for older men!! hehe.

I havent had any comments from anyone yet about me riding a bike.. but I havent actually stopped anywhere and gotten off it yet... might go down to the dairy and see what they say. :D Looking forward to it though. :) I think its cool that you have a group of friends you go out and have a cuppa and scones with... its AWESOME Shazz!

Maha
21st November 2006, 20:27
I havent had any comments from anyone yet about me riding a bike.. but I havent actually stopped anywhere and gotten off it yet... might go down to the dairy and see what they say. :D

If you want to get ''looked at''....a good way to achieve this is to forget to put the side stand down just before you get off.....Not that i have ever done that....:whistle: :Oops:

Lissa
21st November 2006, 20:33
If you want to get ''looked at''....a good way to achieve this is to forget to put the side stand down just before you get off.....Not that i have ever done that....:whistle: :Oops:Awww I wouldnt be so silly Maha... must be a guy thing :innocent:

Shazz
22nd November 2006, 18:30
The only third degree you would get from me would be... Wahhhh hows comes I couldnt go for a ride too :drool: ... oh well I go with my mates then :p

Well you are welcome to join us, if the ferry is running that day, :sunny:

NighthawkNZ
23rd November 2006, 21:44
Well you are welcome to join us, if the ferry is running that day, :sunny:

kewl... sigh :-)

buellbabe
28th November 2006, 11:53
...Oh well, no man, and just my bike... a choice I will make any day!
You have asked a question that has been the topic of numerous threads and my answer is who gives a shit?

Do we ride a bike to be seen?
Or do we ride cos we totally love the adrenaline rush and feeling of total freedom?
I'm with option B and it sounds like you are too Shazz so just get out there and ride and don't let any narrowminded opinions stop you from doing what you love doing!
And for the record...since I am so madly in lust with my bike any bloke I am seeing MUST also have a bike otherwise I am just not interested!