PDA

View Full Version : Michelin Pilots...

ching_ching
12th July 2004, 06:14
Hi folks,

What are your opinions on Michelin Pilots. Someone on Trademe has a 17" set and I'm looking out for some rubber for my gixx600.

Thanks in advance.

ching_ching

Bleck K6
12th July 2004, 08:18
Hi folks,

What are your opinions on Michelin Pilots. Someone on Trademe has a 17" set and I'm looking out for some rubber for my gixx600.

Thanks in advance.

ching_ching
I have just switched back to pilots from dunlop 208s & love them.
The bike holds a better line & feels more planted with the pilots.
I have put a pilot sport on the front & pilot road on the rear.
I guess you are talkin about the pilot powers that are advertised?A guy I know is using those and loves them to.
I am very impressed with the pilot road on the rear very grippy for a sport touring tyre, I thought I would try a sport touring tyre to get a little more tyre life as the TLR chews through sport tyres to quickly, And I read some really good magazine articles about the pilot road.
Anyway I would definately recomend them :2thumbsup

DEATH_INC.
12th July 2004, 13:27
The pilot sports are my :second: equal favorite tyres,along with the M1 sportec's right behind the new Avon azzaro's :first: I've got on there now......

bikerboy
12th July 2004, 15:48
Well just to stir things up, i've got two MV's. One has Pirelli tires and the other has Pilots.

The Pilots don't inspire as much confidence when pushed, and I'm no hard rider, compared to the Pirelli's.

Also both the front and back have slipped out on several occaisions with the Pilots and never on the Pirellis, despite riding both bikes over same roads and conditions.

Don't know the reasons for it, but I won't be buying any Pilots when these need replacing.
:no:

kerryg
12th July 2004, 16:02
Hi folks,

Thanks in advance.

ching_ching

Yeah but he wants about $500 for the set.....

ching_ching
13th July 2004, 06:52
Hi kerryg,

$500? Bidding is around the $305 mark at the moment for the Michelins. Methinks you talking about the Dragon Supercorsas on the previous page. Just watching my pings at the moment.

ching

kerryg
13th July 2004, 09:03
Hi kerryg,

$500? Bidding is around the $305 mark at the moment for the Michelins. Methinks you talking about the Dragon Supercorsas on the previous page. Just watching my pings at the moment.

ching

Hey Ching

Could be wrong of course (wouldn't be the first time) but I was watching a listing for a set of Pilots and it didn't reach reserve and was offered to watchers and bidders at $490 from memory. Seller in the deep south if I recall......it just didn't make sense once transport and fitting charges etc were factored in.

Funkyfly
13th July 2004, 10:19
Hey Ching

Could be wrong of course (wouldn't be the first time) but I was watching a listing for a set of Pilots and it didn't reach reserve and was offered to watchers and bidders at $490 from memory. Seller in the deep south if I recall......it just didn't make sense once transport and fitting charges etc were factored in.

When down south for Britten memorial race i replaced my pilots - sport front and road rear - with pilot sport front and sport rear.

cost $500 all up incl fitting from cycletreads!

Then went for a blast to akaroa to scrub em in! awesome!

ching_ching
13th July 2004, 12:13
Hey Ching

Hi kerryg,

My mistake I think you're right. I didn't take notice of the reserve when I first saw the listing. I put a bid of $305 on the set (only the second bid) before the auction finished at 12:11pm today. Was withdrawn like you said due to reserve not being met. Will request a sell price from him and see if it looks good to me or not.

(Few minutes after...) Fulla came back with a sell price of $500-. (Told him no thanks).
Saw another listing of a Pirelli Race tyre for a buy now price of $80-. Guy in Hamilton used it twice max (he reckons) for a race meeting. What's your opinion on second hand (other members opinions also). I realise it would be better to get brand new but...

Cheers

ching_ching

kerryg
13th July 2004, 14:10
Hi kerryg,

My mistake I think you're right. I didn't take notice of the reserve when I first saw the listing. I put a bid of $305 on the set (only the second bid) before the auction finished at 12:11pm today. Was withdrawn like you said due to reserve not being met. Will request a sell price from him and see if it looks good to me or not.

(Few minutes after...) Fulla came back with a sell price of $500-. (Told him no thanks).
Saw another listing of a Pirelli Race tyre for a buy now price of $80-. Guy in Hamilton used it twice max (he reckons) for a race meeting. What's your opinion on second hand (other members opinions also). I realise it would be better to get brand new but...

Cheers

ching_ching

I bought a Supercorsa SC2 from him (it's Cycle Torque). Same deal. Apparently used once or twice for racing. $80 front or rear, + freight (cost $12). The rear I got had had a bit of a hammering on the outer (slick-type) edges and very little wear in the middle (which is the opposite to me actually!!!) so it was a sort of triangular profile, but plenty of life left in it. What's more when I mount it to my bike people are going to say " jeeeez, you must be a good rider to do that your tyres...." so it's money well spent reallyjust for the pose value!!

For $80 IMHO they're probably a fair deal but you shouldn't expect a nice new tyre. Probably the fronts will be less worn I guess but then they're cheaper new anyway. You'll be up for a fitting charge.

kerryg
13th July 2004, 14:23
Hi kerryg,

Cheers

ching_ching

I bought a Supercorsa SC2 from him (it's Cycle Torque). Same deal. Apparently used once or twice for racing. $80 front or rear, + freight (cost $12). The rear I got had had a bit of a hammering on the outer (slick-type) edges and very little wear in the middle (which is the opposite to me actually!!!) so it was a sort of triangular profile, but plenty of life left in it. What's more when I mount it to my bike people are going to say " jeeeez, you must be a good rider to do that your tyres...." so it's money well spent reallyjust for the pose value!!

For $80 IMHO they're probably a fair deal but you shouldn't expect a nice new tyre. Probably the fronts will be less worn I guess but then they're cheaper new anyway. You'll be up for a fitting charge.

fastford111
13th July 2004, 20:08
Well just to stir things up, i've got two MV's. One has Pirelli tires and the other has Pilots.

The Pilots don't inspire as much confidence when pushed, and I'm no hard rider, compared to the Pirelli's.

Also both the front and back have slipped out on several occaisions with the Pilots and never on the Pirellis, despite riding both bikes over same roads and conditions.

Don't know the reasons for it, but I won't be buying any Pilots when these need replacing.
i have pilot sports on the rsv and they are the most confidence inspiring tyres out there i took a set of pirelli evo r corsas of they were good but the pilots are better :niceone:

ching_ching
14th July 2004, 05:52
i have pilot sports on the rsv and they are the most confidence inspiring tyres out there i took a set of pirelli evo r corsas of they were good but the pilots are better :niceone:

Good on ya mate! :niceone:

ching_ching

manuboy
11th January 2005, 15:17
Nothin like reviving a long forgotten thread. I realise it's horses for courses, and tyres for bikes, but the SV loves Pilots. They come as standard equipment and there's no need to wonder why.

The harder i ride, the better they get. Since my suspension was sorted, they've never ever done anything i didn't ask for. I'm not even gonna try another brand. Not that i'll need to for a while, i've pulled 5000k on them and they still look top notch - the boys at suzuki reckon they got 9500k b4 they pulled theirs, i'd be happy with that considering the weekend twisty type riding done on them..

Awesome tyre aye...

Biff
11th January 2005, 15:26
Great rubbers. Excellent durability and grip. (insert smutty remark here)

Bleck K6
11th January 2005, 16:01
i've pulled 5000k on them and they still look top notch - the boys at suzuki reckon they got 9500k b4 they pulled theirs, i'd be happy with that considering the weekend twisty type riding done on them..

Awesome tyre aye...
Wow 5000kms, the best I managed on the TLR with a pilot sport on the rear was 3000kms,The SV1000 must be alot better on tyres.The pilot road has done just over 2000kms now & still looks new.
A guy I ride with has got 6000kms out of a pilot road so far & has a little bit of life left in it,He usually gets between 1500-3000kms with a sport tyre so he is very impressed with the pilot road also. :2thumbsup

Sensei
11th January 2005, 16:21
Michelin have come off twice on these so don't think much of them . They are good till half worn then throw them in a bin . Mate has just put a set of Bridgestone's 014's onto his CBR1000RR & said they have changed the bike totally , He's very impressed . I have the old stye 011 /012 Bridgey's & are happy with their feed back when pushed hard through corner ,slid predictibaly/ & have stood up to some cruel punishment in the last 2 week's . Will be putting on a new Metzeler Z6 RoadTEC on next so will see how it go's
SENSEI :sneaky2:

**R1**
11th January 2005, 20:51
Depends on ya bike...but i have had pilot sports, roads. and race, on the R1 and they are all not bad tyres depending on the time of year...but i have started using pilot powers...and they rock (im on my 3rd set) on the road...the Dragon i just took off i only got 1500k's :angry2: they only short commings of the mitch's well most road tyres is after about 7 laps at the track the go off big time...too hot i guess.

Gixxer 4 ever
11th January 2005, 22:44

As above. That is just the way I would describe them. I like the pilot road but they are a bit scary. They last a long time. I have a Diablo on at the moment and it is great but will only do 3,000km and it will be dead. Mind you this tyre sticks and is so much fun but a bit expensive to keep up.
I run a dragon on the front and just love it. It sticks like glue and never ever lets go. I will run the Pirelli dragon with the Michelin Pilot road when I kill this Diablo.

JohnBoy
12th January 2005, 09:35
my zed had pilot sports.. got them cause they were cheap at the time (i am a poor student :Punk: ).
dont like em as much as the pirrellies. they give great wear i have had my front for over 10k km and on my second rear at about 6 - 7k km. i have done 2 track days on pilot sports and i can say that in my opinoin they arn't all that.

if your riding is touring with every now and then a cane then pilots could be you. but i have done nearly 15k km on them and i am changing back to pirrellies just because of the lack of communication and confidence that i have in the overall grip when your giving it nuts.

:ride:

manuboy
12th January 2005, 09:49
Wow 5000kms, the best I managed on the TLR with a pilot sport on the rear was 3000kms,The SV1000 must be alot better on tyres.The pilot road has done just over 2000kms now & still looks new.
A guy I ride with has got 6000kms out of a pilot road so far & has a little bit of life left in it,He usually gets between 1500-3000kms with a sport tyre so he is very impressed with the pilot road also. :2thumbsup

A lot of feed back since i made that post. Note however, that i mentioned somewhere first up that it's definitely horses for courses. And it also has a lot to do with riding style.

The SV is nowhere near as vicious on tyres as the TL i wouldn't think. And my riding is locked to how the twin likes to go (on the road), fuck all braking, slightly slow entry, lie her down, on the gas basically from the apex. For me the pilots have never let go and i've pushed fairly hard - but thats all relative aye.

Interesting comments from aaron about how long they'll hold up when tits out on the track. A guy i talked to racing bears on his 750ss had tried pirelli and didn't like them, swapped and was just using sports, he was 2nd in the series, then again the races were not long, i didn't count the laps...

A real test will be the training day i'm doing in March - then again the tyres will have done around 7500k by then. But if i'm still statisfied i'll stand by my comments. If everybody else reckons they're average but they work for me, well then, guess wot...

Bleck K6
12th January 2005, 12:43
A lot of feed back since i made that post. Note however, that i mentioned somewhere first up that it's definitely horses for courses. And it also has a lot to do with riding style.

The SV is nowhere near as vicious on tyres as the TL i wouldn't think. And my riding is locked to how the twin likes to go (on the road), fuck all braking, slightly slow entry, lie her down, on the gas basically from the apex. For me the pilots have never let go and i've pushed fairly hard - but thats all relative aye.

Interesting comments from aaron about how long they'll hold up when tits out on the track. A guy i talked to racing bears on his 750ss had tried pirelli and didn't like them, swapped and was just using sports, he was 2nd in the series, then again the races were not long, i didn't count the laps...

A real test will be the training day i'm doing in March - then again the tyres will have done around 7500k by then. But if i'm still statisfied i'll stand by my comments. If everybody else reckons they're average but they work for me, well then, guess wot...
Yeah I think the TLR/S would be alot harder on tyres than the SV,from what i have heard the power delivery is alot smoother on the SV with a little less BHP.And I reckon any TL with the standard rotary damper is alot harder on tyres.
One thing I really like about the v-twin engine is the amount of engine braking so you dont need to use the brakes much at all coming into corners.

Bleck K6
12th January 2005, 12:51
One other thing,I wouldnt run a pilot road on the front just the rear.
I'm running a pilot sport on the front.
My mate who is using the pilot road on the front & rear of his says the front slides around a bit so he is goin to put a pilot sport up front & keep the pilot road rear.

manuboy
12th January 2005, 13:45
One other thing,I wouldnt run a pilot road on the front just the rear.
I'm running a pilot sport on the front.
My mate who is using the pilot road on the front & rear of his says the front slides around a bit so he is goin to put a pilot sport up front & keep the pilot road rear.

Sliding ain't a bad thing - sometimes even utilisable on the road if you have "the pants" for it, as long as it's confined to the rear wheel. Or i'm a blouse, cos when your committed in the tight stuff and the front starts to go - thats about the time i start shitting ...

Yeah, the SV does have smoother power (almost a complete linear delivery, even compared to a VTR which has a top end), and it does have less horsepower, but i think talking to those who've ridden both (not me) the SV would take a stock TLR/S in the twisties with equivalent rider - the handling package is appreciably better... that'd be once the crappy front end was dialled in. I think Suzuki tried to take away all the "bad press" things about the TL, so it's a LOT harder to wheelstand and there's no topend but handling is refined. Of course there aren't many TL riders who'd agree with that for a million and one reasons...

* sits back and waits for the anguished replies *

onearmedbandit
12th January 2005, 15:51
Hmmm, just fitted a Pilot Race RS2 to the front of my gixxer, was waiting for a M1 to come in, but needed a tyre now. Could've choosen between Metzler Rennsport (med comp), Dunlop 208GP, or the Pilot Race all for the same price. Went for the Pilot, felt great riding home, confidence inspiring. Will have to wait until I get out of town to see how it really shapes up, but I'm looking forward to it.

Bleck K6
12th January 2005, 21:47
Sliding ain't a bad thing - sometimes even utilisable on the road if you have "the pants" for it, as long as it's confined to the rear wheel. Or i'm a blouse, cos when your committed in the tight stuff and the front starts to go - thats about the time i start shitting ...
Yeah I reckon,I've had the front slide a few times,not nice.
I dont mind the rear sliding,it actually feels quite good.
I really like it when you are comin in to a corner to hot,hit the picks then the rear gets all loose,off the brakes & lay it into the corner.
Thats one advantage with the TLR its extra weight makes it so rock solid through the corners.

loosebruce
13th January 2005, 15:39
Yeah I think the TLR/S would be alot harder on tyres than the SV,from what i have heard the power delivery is alot smoother on the SV with a little less BHP.And I reckon any TL with the standard rotary damper is alot harder on tyres.
One thing I really like about the v-twin engine is the amount of engine braking so you dont need to use the brakes much at all coming into corners.

An S hard on tyres, shit is it what. I run pilot sports for long time and found them good, best out of a rear was 2300k road riding with the odd track day, only recently did i put a power on the front and it's shit hot, next best thing to race cut tyre. Only the sport suffers a bit on the track, gets too hot and with the shoddy rear damper on the S, you have to work hard to get traction and be real careful, the power on the rear shoudl be sweet, depends on how hard you push i guess, but i never had a problem on the road with the sports.