PDA

View Full Version : My First Lane Splitting!

Lucy
14th November 2006, 07:02
On the way to work this morning along Tamaki Drive.

Man it felt good to overtake those cyclists.....:third:

bert_is_evil
14th November 2006, 07:05
Nice work Lucy
Remember when you're splitting to always check your mirrors when you're about to move in between the lanes as cyclists will wizz in between you and the cars and that could get really messy.

bert_is_evil
14th November 2006, 07:06
I can't beleive I just said wizz, someone get me a rocking chair and a walking stick....

toymachine
14th November 2006, 07:22
Good on ya! I remember my first lane split, rather terrifying. I was 'hopping' up the line for a few days before actually attempting a lanesplit. Now it's just part of going to work.

Stay safe.

crashe
14th November 2006, 07:43
Good onya........ there is no stopping ya now........:yes:

McJim
14th November 2006, 08:03
Ahhh, all these little milestones - Well done - I still remember my first split, was only 3 months ago! so Lucy, you must travel from Beachlands to Central Auckland to get to work eh? Isn't the road from Beachlands to Whitford 100kph? How to you deal with the fact that you are a Learner and restricted to 70kph?

Do you do what I did and just safely go with the flow? (100kph-110kph?)

I'd be interested to know.

Lucy
14th November 2006, 09:01
I didn't think cyclists counted as they are so skinny. But thanks!

McJim I haven't really felt it a problem going 70. Especially as I'm still running in the bike and trying to keep the revs low. Even if I went 100 I coudn't keep up with the traffic along there. People are used to cyclists so I guess they treat me as one and only pass when it's safe, so far anyway, it's all been good. Plus I'm wearing a reflective vest and the L plate makes them steer clear I reckon!

It's a fun ride through Panmure etc to town, I only have to get on the motorway at the bridge/Fanshawe st. Today I stayed on it (most of it has a temporary 80kph limit at the moment) but going home I'll go through the suburbs and get on at Onewa rd.

Be a while before I do any REAL lane splitting, if ever!

NC
14th November 2006, 09:09
Beachlands has changed a bit huh?

McJim
14th November 2006, 09:10
Hahaha...I thought you'd lane split some cars while they were overtaking cyclists!

Let me know when you feel confident enough to join the motorway at Panmure/Mt Wellington for your morning commute and I'll meet you to give you a confidence boost (also 2 bikes are more visible than 1!) The motorway is quite sedate in the mornings - unless you're splitting at speed which I don't do. Also there's less stop/start than travelling through the 'burbs so it does cut down on journey time (I travelled to work for 3 months from Botany avoiding the M-way)

Lucy
14th November 2006, 09:22
Yeah Beachlands has changed a lot!

Lucy
14th November 2006, 09:24
Will do, I'm keen on being very good and sticking to the 'running in' advice so it'll be a few more weeks before I can take it further/faster. Cheers.

Fub@r
14th November 2006, 10:25
Lane splitting is the only way to travel around Auckland these days.....so satisfying seeing all the cagers gridlocked. This has a flip side though, some cagers resent the fact that you can get somewhere and they can't.

So not to put you off but be sure of your gap as once in a blue moon you sometimes come across and arrogant peice of s#$@t that tries to close the gap on you.

Kendog
14th November 2006, 10:31
Yes, coming to Dorkland in two weeks and have been trying to get in some splitting practice before I hit the motorway, haven't really had a need to split here yet, I don't commute and am usually happy to sit in a que behind a couple of cars, so should be interesting/scary!!
Mrs KD.

McJim
14th November 2006, 10:37
once in a blue moon you sometimes come across and arrogant peice of s#$@t that tries to close the gap on you.

We must get those blue moons every night in South Auckland then.....

Fub@r
14th November 2006, 12:01
We must get those blue moons every night in South Auckland then.....

I was trying to warn and play it down ..............but you blew it Jim :gob:

Had a dork in a range rover the other day give me the squeeze, ended up collecting his wing mirror with mine and I kept going serves him right if he got some scratches!

Jeaves
14th November 2006, 12:17
Congrats on the lane split , its rather daunting at first but once done theres no looking back - i think back to the first week of riding on the motorway sitting in Friday arvo traffic :slap:

awesker
14th November 2006, 22:21
eh nice! I remember telling myself, 'nah.. no need to do it.. just relax' a week or so later im edging between cars when theyre stopped. now, if the traffics moving at a pace I deem to slow ill just cruise through. bad habbits.. :confused:

Disco Dan
15th November 2006, 00:42
good onya!

...although wont be long before you start pushing those revs higher and then you look down at your speedo and realise your splitting at 80kph or more!

easliy done :innocent: but naughty!

Good luck!

and remember to watch for even a tiny gap in the traffic either side.. cars will shove thier nose in and block your path! no where to go? bang! ..happens often.. especially in auckland!

keep your wits about you!

gijoe1313
15th November 2006, 16:03
:niceone: Ahh lane spiltting ... another black art of the two wheel order! Yep, it's fun to slowly pass on by those boy racers who race off to the next set of reds, pootle on by in rush hour traffic riding sedately ... all the while watching those cagers!

Reminds me of that frogger game, 'cept no three lives :no: I find my head being on a swivel since I'm paranoid and constantly checking ahead, to the sides and my mirrors!

I guess it's like another skill you build up to! :scooter:

lukelin250
15th November 2006, 22:43
ohh lane splitting, you just cant help but do it. i always used to tell myself before i gotta bike that wouldnt and id just sit there and take it easy but eventually you find yourself doing it all the time. luckily i havnt had anyone pull out infront of me just yet but i have had some real tight gaps where i have accidentaly nipped someones wingmirror, i feel real bad but what can ya do,its not like i can stop turn around and say sorry. if only we could use the buslanes or the far right shoulder, i mean why not, its not used and in traffic would stop the risk of bikers crashing. (end of rant)

Fub@r
15th November 2006, 22:50
For my first lane split I tagged on behind another biker and followed their lead, if they went to fast that I felt uncomfortable I would pull back in or putter along at my own pace.

Never try to keep up outside your comfort zone, your abilities will improve over time and eventually you'll get to the point where you wonder why you were ever worried :yes: