PDA

View Full Version : Editing .asf files

WRT
14th November 2006, 09:58
Found some old footage of a track day at Pukie that I need to chop up a little. Its got a few minutes either end that I'd like to cut off, just getting the bike started up and pulling back into the pits etc. I've given it a good go in Windows Movie Maker, but everytime I try to save the file the program crashes - I suspect it's not liking the codecs or something, but in the past I've always found Movie Maker to be somewhat crash prone anyways.

Does anyone know of a lightweight simple movie editor, and a free one at that? I'm not bothered enough about losing a couple of minutes of footage to warrant going and spending hundreds or thousands on some fancy editing software.

Any suggestions?

scracha
14th November 2006, 11:40
Boilsoft ASF converter. There's some easily found cracks for it too. PM me your email addy and I'll give you the URL

WRT
14th November 2006, 13:33
Ok, had a look at the Boilsoft site, found an AVI splitter on there. Downloaded it, but it only would save 771 bytes . . .

So I bit the bullet and removed the codec pack I've been using as I know the video will play back with the standard MS Mpeg4 decoder, rather than the Direct Show filter in the codec pack. Tried the AVI splitter again, exactly the same problem. Went back to Movie Maker, and Lo! It worked quite happily, so I've got the file trimmed down now.

Cheers for your advice tho Scracha, at least it showed me that the prob was with the codec rather than just Movie Maker.