PDA

View Full Version : Tips for carb balancing

lb99
14th November 2006, 11:12
can anyone give me any tips for balancin the carbs on my cbx400f?

don't tell me not to bother cause that will make me more determined:mellow:

I have made myself a 4 tube manometer which works fine, although it is a bit ugly, I will post some pics when I get home.

So, if I was doing a car, then I would adjust the carb to get the highest possible vacuume at idle, should I do the same thing for the bike?
IE adjust the butterflys to achieve the highest (even ) vaccume across all four?
This is what I did for my Z440 and it smothed it out remarkably well, and got rid of a lot of clatter when idling too

If anyone could lead me to a copy of the manual for this bike(free) or even for the 550f I would appreciate it

judecatmad
14th November 2006, 11:25
LOL, saw the title of this thread and thought you were after diet tips!

:doh:

lb99
14th November 2006, 11:37
LOL, saw the title of this thread and thought you were after diet tips!

:doh:

I have a diet tip, skip lunch and go for a ride (or a shag)

paturoa
14th November 2006, 19:01
pick the plug with the best colour and match the others to that

edit: also do a search on carb balance there are a few good ones there

degrom
15th November 2006, 18:33

edit: also do a search on carb balance there are a few good ones there

That does not always work,does it?

With most of today's unleaded fuels, every thing burns black.. (Sparkplug,exhaust)

I would also like to know how to properly tune your carbs.
Do you first adjust your fuel mixture on every carb and then balance or other way around?

I am sure all tips are welcome...

slopster
26th November 2006, 22:58
You shouldn't need four tubes-balance the centre 2 carbs first then balance the left to the centre left and the right to the centre right. It doesn't matter what vacuums readings you get as long as they are all even because the throttle cable is what is adjusting how far open the butterflys are, the adjuster screws just get the individual butterflys even.

Warr
26th November 2006, 23:19
I have made myself a 4 tube manometer which works fine, although it is a bit ugly, I will post some pics when I get home.........

Are you home yet ??

foxmoth
24th December 2006, 14:12
hi slopster, do u htink one could balacne the vacummn type carbs with a dual mano mtr, i.e. the old long tube round a ruler with fliud diy jobbie?

degrom
26th December 2006, 13:07
hi slopster, do u htink one could balacne the vacummn type carbs with a dual mano mtr, i.e. the old long tube round a ruler with fliud diy jobbie?

Yes... Just make sure you have a very long peace of tube and use a oile like penetration oil that won't hurt the engine if it's sucked into the it.

(I used a 4meter peace of tube on my XV and that was still a bit on the short side.)

sizzlingbadger
28th January 2007, 09:27

Plug colour has nothing to do with carb balancing. Plug colour is effected by air / fuel mixture.

You don't have to have 4 manometer tubes (2 will do) but 4 makes it much easier. The best method depends on the design of the carb linkage. A manual will normally give you tips as to which to balance first but you can generally work it out by studying the linkage and how it adjusts. Some linkages allow you to adjust all 4 carbs independantly but others only allow 3 and one carb is the master.

Some bikes are just really hard to get balanced the old 70's z1000's were a bitch.

make sure your manometer won't leak water into the carbs cos it can f*#k up your engine rather quickly.

Sensei
28th January 2007, 09:53
The Idle screw helps with the number 1 carbs Butterfly then there should be 3 more adjusters between 1 & the 2nd & 3rd & 4th carbs which does abit of both when turned { Eg balances the 2nd & abit of the 3rd carb then the next adjuster does more of the 3rd & 4th etc } Screwing the adjuster down will open the butterfly next to it , screwing it up will open the one in front of it .Be carefull it is easy to get thing way out of tune . Move the adjusters by very small turns about 1mm at a time .

degrom
28th January 2007, 20:44
Plug colour has nothing to do with carb balancing. Plug colour is effected by air / fuel mixture.

You don't have to have 4 manometer tubes (2 will do) but 4 makes it much easier. The best method depends on the design of the carb linkage. A manual will normally give you tips as to which to balance first but you can generally work it out by studying the linkage and how it adjusts. Some linkages allow you to adjust all 4 carbs independantly but others only allow 3 and one carb is the master.

Some bikes are just really hard to get balanced the old 70's z1000's were a bitch.

make sure your manometer won't leak water into the carbs cos it can f*#k up your engine rather quickly.

Do you know of a place where I can by a Manometer? I have asked MOTOMART and they can't get one... :angry:

sizzlingbadger
30th January 2007, 21:51
Do you know of a place where I can by a Manometer? I have asked MOTOMART and they can't get one... :angry:

I bought mine from the UK a few years ago. You could try E-bay. It's called a carb-tune II and it uses small metal weights instead of liquid.

found this site http://www.carbtune.com/

my one doesn't use mercury it uses steel weights, managed to find it in Oz http://www.mcp.com.au/carbtune/index.htm