PDA

View Full Version : Ajturbo's Mt Wellington 2 Hr bucket race report.

ajturbo
14th November 2006, 11:44
First up I would like to thank Liam for the “bed” and frosty for not getting his nose out of joint after I decided that staying at Liam’s place would be better!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Luke and I managed to find our way to the track (thanks Liam) we were the 3<SUP>rd</SUP> lot in the gate… no point being late eh!
It was around <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:time Hour="9" Minute="0">9ish</st1:time>, we got the bikes out and changed the gearing, unfortunately I didn’t have the sprocket I wanted for Luke’s bike, but who cares?.. lol
But mine was NEARLY ok, if only I had a couple more teeth on the rear.
But as I was using 2,3, and 4<SUP>th</SUP> I thought it was close enough, I was managing 38’s on Luke’s bike, so I must have been around 33-35s on mine…
Luke and I had a ball the first day… till mine wouldn’t start, kicked it till the cows came home, no go, grrrrr, in steps Liam again, tested a couple of things, found I have loose wire to the coil, oh and the battery was FLAT, I had left the key on for a couple of days…. This doesn’t help, used a spare that Liam had and it started first kick..
Went out and thrashed the shit out of it…. Wow it was fun
<o:p> </o:p>
I had been warned that some of the players up there were not nice and their over taking was aggressive, I did not find that at all, thought there was one guy who I may have got in the way of, who pushed me out of the way… but in no way was I pissed off!

Sunday:
We got there nice and early again, Luke was the first out to test his bike and the limits that cold tyres have on a damp track… he found the limit within half a lap hahaha, yep he crashed hahaha
I went out and tested his bike, as we were going to use it, and found that the rear tyre was not working, we let it down to 11psi, this was fine with me, but with Luke it still wasn’t heating up enough,.
I entered the shoot out for the pole, managed to fluff my way around and qualify 18<SUP>th</SUP>.
We had a practice start (luckily)it was a “la mon” start (sp?) I fluffed this also starting in first… but when the real race start came I was in second and got a good start, one of the front runners fell off, I missed him. So I had all ready made a good start by default hahaha.
I was to do the first 15min, then Luke jumped out and indicated that time was up and it was his turn… thank god I was stuffed.. lol
He was out no more than 10 min when he fell, braking the front brake leaver off. That’s cool I had spares.
He had hurt his hip a bit so I went out for another shift and told him to let me know when he was up to it .. about 15 min later I saw him waving, about time!!! Swapped over and …. 15min later he was off on the same corner.. and braking the front brake leaver AGAIN, that’s cool I had a spare, (off my bike)
This time I went out and told him to have a rest, I had no idea where I was.. but was having fun dicing with a guy on No. 1 it was one of the funny looking Korean (?) bikes, it had the power out of the corners, but he was holding me up in the into and around the corners, I managed to push him out of the way only twice and he left the track twice… but we had fun…
In the end we came 16<SUP>th</SUP> and won a bottle of rum… mmmm

There was some newbie called Hayden Fitzgerald, who showed Luke the correct lines around the track. Luke then proceeded to hassle him all weekend, hosed him down and generally put the guy in his place.. to his credit, Hayden stood his ground and dish out just as much as he received, he didn’t get pissed off with Luke,
There was another young wanaby there also … sorry I cannot remember his name, who showed Luke some finer points also, I wish to thank both these guys!
<o:p> </o:p>
What a great weekend, and hopefully we will be doing it again soon!!
Oh and thanks buellbabe :love: for “tea”… heheheh