PDA

View Full Version : Northland Attractions

What?
14th November 2006, 12:00
OK boys and gigglythings, what's up there?
Mrs What?, mineself and another couple are heading north in Feb for about 5 days. Now, I have been north many times before, but it's been all ride, ride, ride. This time, it is a leisurely cruise (sadly, so very sadly, not on bike), so I need to know what there is to look at. And taste. Or do.
We will be spending a couple of nights at Mangawhai, then maybe Paihia area, maybe Ahipara area, maybe...
On the itinerary is Sunbeamland and the vintage machinery museum by the Karikari turn-off. But what else is there? Especially interested in any wineries and/or breweries. And museums. And places to eat.

dnos
14th November 2006, 12:14
hey What?

If your in the Paihia area there are plenty of places to eat. In Kerikeri (very close) I can think of a couple of wineries that also have nice restaurants - Marsden Estate, Cottle Hill, can recommend them both. And one opening soon called AkeAke or something.
There is also a couple up Ahipara ways but I'm not familiar with those. Karikari Peninsular there is a massive winery Carrington or something - haven't heard much about it, might pay to find a bit out about it cos i heard you have to pay for tastings but thats hear-say. Those are the ones I can think of.

If your in the Bay Of Islands then a trip out on the water is a must, plenty of options there. And if your up for a bit of something different there is a new adventure park in Paihia with a trapeze and tight rope and stuff, went there in the weekend and was great fun but i over exerted myself a bit and still have sore muscles. They also have an insanely difficult mini golf course there.

Kwaka14
14th November 2006, 12:18
OK boys and gigglythings, what's up there?
Mrs What?, mineself and another couple are heading north in Feb for about 5 days. Now, I have been north many times before, but it's been all ride, ride, ride. This time, it is a leisurely cruise (sadly, so very sadly, not on bike), so I need to know what there is to look at. And taste. Or do.
We will be spending a couple of nights at Mangawhai, then maybe Paihia area, maybe Ahipara area, maybe...
On the itinerary is Sunbeamland and the vintage machinery museum by the Karikari turn-off. But what else is there? Especially interested in any wineries and/or breweries. And museums. And places to eat.

Go the Maunganui Fish and Chip shop if your up there

Blackbird
14th November 2006, 14:32
Northland has its own website: http://www.northland.co.nz/Northland.cfm

dawnrazor
14th November 2006, 16:12
you might want to stay away from those waterfalls near Paihia!

Ah thats not funny is it.

Pete_Hoult
15th November 2006, 16:05
Yeah I'm form up north and the Dutch tourist Haruru falls thing appalling.
Plenty to do in the Bay, Trip on the water a must. Recomend a fast boat trip to see the site and have a hoon for an hour or so. Would recommend "the Mac Attack"

Laava
15th November 2006, 17:58
Maunganui F&C shop recommended! There is a cave rider jet boat trip at tutukaka that is awesome. Good drive up thru Dargaville to Hokianga, stopping at the big Tane Mahuta and Kai Iwi lakes. You will run out of time. Isn't that always the way?:scooter:

What?
16th November 2006, 05:27
Cheers chaps.
We did the BOI cruise thing last time, so the Mac Attack might be the go this time.
Last time Mrs What? and I were there, the Mongonui fish shop was a bit, well, ho-hum really. Certainly didn't live up to its reputation that day.
On the flip side, I have been told that the German lady who used to run the Naja cafe at Mangawhai is now at the Kavarna, and her kai is still excellent.

Lou Girardin
16th November 2006, 05:48
The wineries are at Ahipara and Karikari, also around Kerikeri. Kerikeri also has great cheese factory. Marx restaurant, Kerikeri was always good too, but I haven't been there for a while.

Shaun
16th November 2006, 08:15
Go chase the dolphins out of Tutikaka

tommorth
6th December 2006, 20:19
spirits bay is a choice place 2 camp the veiw from the top of the hill above matauri bay is awsome fairy pools in kerikeri is a geat place 4 a picnic and a swim if u get a chance get a boat out 2 capbrett there is a doc hut there u can stay in its a converted lighhouse keepers house u can can see hole in the rock from the an watch some amazing sun sets and sunrises also u can catch your dinner 50 meters from the front door highly recomended

klingon
6th December 2006, 21:32
You only have 5 days?!

Maybe up one coast and down the other? Up the West side via the Hokianga and the car ferry, down SH10 via the Karekare peninsula, Doubtless Bay, Bay of Islands etc.

The obvious thing is to go all the way up to Cape Reinga - up the road and down the beach or vice versa. Then out to Spirits Bay (stay overnight at the camp ground if you're camping types).

Motu
6th December 2006, 22:16
Trounsons Kauri Park is a little known gem,forget the Waipoua Kauri forest,Trounsons is an inland island sanctury,it's a true insight to how the land was before humans.It impressed me deeply.

What?
7th December 2006, 05:31
Cheers guys.
Yep, we have only 5 days. I could technically go for longer, but that would mean missing Paeroa (not an option).
Trounson park is great, innit? Been there a couple of times.
This trip will probably involve the MacAttack and wineries. Not necessarily in that order... And the odd museum. Anyone know if Sunbeamland (just out of Kawakawa) is still going?

Edbear
7th December 2006, 05:50
If you do get a chance to take the loop, go left at the Brynderwyns through Maungataroto and you'll pass the Matakohe Kauri Museum. Amazing place, then through Dargaville to the Kai Iwi lakes and Tane Mahuta in the forest. VERY windy road through there, great on a bike! Come out above Copthorn House a popular biker stop. Apart from that everyone else has good suggestions.

Paihia is a great little holiday spot and a lot to do, the MAc Attack, etc. trip across to Russell, helicopter rides, self drive boats, good restaurants. Very handy to pretty much everywhere for day trips.