PDA

View Full Version : Wot to do?

Paul in NZ
12th July 2004, 15:33
OK… In the near future I’m going to paint the petrol tank on my classic Triumph project bike… (1970 TR6C) I’m definitely NOT going to go the usual chevron / wing thing that has been done to death by every trumpy owner in the world.

Choices are…

As close to stock as I can be bothered with (muddy green/gold with black stripe down the centre (gold pinstripe) and a “Trophy 650” decal opposite the gas cap

OR

Black (or dark silver) with black and white checks stripe down the middle (like the new Thruxton tanks) and some sort of custom triumphy logo ???

It will have the stock badges and the chrome trim. Fenders are all stainless, oil tank / side cover are black.

Wadda ya reckon? Any ideas welcome (apart from skulls with daggers through the eye, bleeding hearts or ‘outlaw stuff)

jrandom
12th July 2004, 15:41
Smear a few patches of bog over the bare metal and glue a pair of fluffy dice to the top.

bungbung
12th July 2004, 16:26
Primer grey? black overspray on top?

pete376403
12th July 2004, 17:10
Stretch paisley material over the tank then a coat of clear resin. Saw it on a norton 650 a guy at school had (this in the height of the hippy/groovy/swinging 60's thing) If nothing else, it was unique

FROSTY
12th July 2004, 17:48
Me Id go for yella with black stripes.
Seriously though Ive always been all for standard colors.Whatever the factory produced id try to copy that paint job

Holy Roller
12th July 2004, 18:08
The two tone chrome/ what ever colour you like, But I prefer chrome/black. Chrome on top with black through the centre on the side with the Triumph badge and knee grip and may be chrome on the lower bit.

burgandy and white centre strip looks great.

Have a look in the classic bike mag for some ideas

Redstar
12th July 2004, 19:52
I know an old guy in Hamilton Ginger not Ginger Malloy, he restores harleys and brit bikes you say what you want and how much you want to pay and he will do a primo job if you want more details e me.
old school man loves his work.

James Deuce
12th July 2004, 19:56
Black (or dark silver) with black and white checks stripe down the middle (like the new Thruxton tanks) and some sort of custom triumphy logo ???

I like that.

Motu
12th July 2004, 22:33
Look at these,I kinda like that plain green one,but this is nicely done,cept it's a bloody Bonnie.

http://www.britishspares.com/funstuff/triumph_unit_650.htm

I think I've got one of those tanks lying around somewhere,always wondered what it was off,I'll drag if out and shoot it,heh,heh.

Paul in NZ
13th July 2004, 09:17
Well, it's sorta stock. From the other side of the road it looks stock and it has the correct 'Spring Gold' colour now (see the 1970 TR6R in the British Spares link above). My bike is a TR6C (also shown but the colour is slightly wrong). It's just that year for the trophy / Tiger the green was bloody awful!

However, my bike has had a few modifications over the years and a real hard life. I'm not going to hide that or pretend it's 'original'. Besides, the parts book purists annoy me. I've had guys telling me this or that ain't right for that year (usually wrong) but totally missing stuff like the earlier engine.. (well mostly - like i said, it's had a hard life)

The C's were supposed to be competition bikes and got thrashed. by 1970 there we so old fashioned it was not funny but mine shows all the signs of hard of road use and more than one accident. I love it for what it is and I will improve where I can...

I draw the line at skulls

Interestingly, British Spares had a bunch of brand new Spring Gold tanks and guards. (I mean BRAND NEW) and every one was a different shade of green. I've had to repaint a few NOS brackets as the factory just dipped them and they were horrible.. Wierd!

Cheers