PDA

View Full Version : Cut-down tail - legal?

Morcs
15th November 2006, 10:06
Hi guys, been wanting to chop of the hideouslty sized rear hugger off the bandit for a while now, and simply bolt an Oxford number plate holder straight underneath my tail light.

I did a similar thing on my last bike, but sold it before i had to get a WOF, so dont know if its compliant...

Anyone know if the oxford plat holders are wide enough for NZ plates, with enough room for the indicators off the sides?

Ill stick a reflector straight underneath, and probably get away with sticking the wof and rego stickers on the back of the plate?

Cheers in advance

Cajun
15th November 2006, 10:11
as long as you got a plate, numberplate light, reflecter and some interactors(sp)
no reason not to get a warrent

Morcs
15th November 2006, 10:16
Excellent. Let the streetfighter project begin :Punk:

Ill grab a load of goodies when im over at cycletreads on the weekend.

Gremlin
15th November 2006, 11:09
as long as you got a plate, numberplate light, reflecter and some interactors(sp)
no reason not to get a warrent
got it in one... oh... and just make sure your plate ain't cut down... the coppa's don't like that :innocent:

if someone is going to be anal, then the reflector needs to have those little numbers etc on it.

For your wof and rego, it just needs to be somewhere visible, some of us have it on the swingarm, some on the plate, I know someone who has it next to the back of their headlight (inside top fairing), and some have it umm... under their seats :mellow:

emaN
15th November 2006, 11:11
...numberplate light...
stupid rule!
why not have 'em on the front then, if they're so necessary?!

Coyote
15th November 2006, 11:13
Is that your Bandit in your profile? If so, it's already looking awesome. Where is that front light and fairing from?

Coyote
15th November 2006, 11:16
stupid rule!
I would assume that headlights would be staring at the number plate as you're heading towards them so it wouldn't need one. Whereas the rear as you've just gone past you won't have your headlights beaming on it and it would be harder to see without the number plate light. Just a thought

Cajun
15th November 2006, 11:17
stupid rule!
yeah i know i ran around two years no numberplate light, wired up some leds other week for number plate light tho.

Wasp
15th November 2006, 11:48
you want to butcher your bandit?! oh god no :puke:

personally i really love the rear

Morcs
15th November 2006, 14:06
front fairing is called the raptor II, bought from John at www.sportsbikesnz.co.nz. I had to respray it, was a bitch to fit, and cant get bulbs to make the indicators flash remotely slow enough to be legal....

Fairing is badly damaged from its impact with a reversing car, so sadly going to change it for something better fitting and more legal, watch this space ;)

Hey Wasp your rear will be different, its already 'cut down' as you have a rear mudgaurd on the gj74a, wheras i have no rear mudguard, just that ugly tail piece.

I dont want to cut it off then find it cant get a warrant as id have to buy a whole new undertray....

98tls
15th November 2006, 14:15
a mate of mine cut all the crap of the back of his 1200 bandit...got a number plate bracket from www.sportsbikesnz.co.nz then some mini indicators...came out looking great...and no worries with wof.........

DMNTD
15th November 2006, 14:40
Mate I just unbolted everything off mine and added a hinged bracket for my plate from MotoStyle (http://www.motostyle.co.nz/) to make sure I've got the correct and legal angle :innocent:

paturoa
15th November 2006, 16:32
Just got a warrant no hassles with no reflector and no white plate light (the lights are always on)

Morcs
16th November 2006, 12:32
Got the saw out last night, cut the tail down a fair bit, enough so theres none showing beneath the plate. Put rego on side on the chain guard, reflector is sitting above the plate at the mo (not sure if it has to be below the plate?)

But lookin gooood.. just to to get some wet and dry paper on to smooth of the plastic, but ill do that once ive repaired my leaking clutch cover...

Gremlin
16th November 2006, 14:40
reflector is sitting above the plate at the mo (not sure if it has to be below the plate?)
has to be visible from the rear... theory goes, if your light breaks, bulb blows etc, it is supposed to be a back up, allowing you to still be visible.

Attract Promotions
1st December 2006, 14:04
I've wondered about this myself.
Buells are F**king short.
But they have that big ugly piece of stink out the back to line up with the rear of the rear wheel for a red reflective.
So i always figured you had to have that red reflective thing at the VERY end of your bike. I've seen so many bikes set up like that from the factory (mite not apply for NZ) my little cibby does.
Thought for food anywho

zeRax
18th December 2006, 18:57
pretty sure its a legal requirement purely because everything i can think of with exposed wheels has them, tractors etc too, otherwise people will drive into your wheel because they cant see it!, because they are stupido!

Steam
18th December 2006, 19:09
I want to do something like this to my next bike, but I'm sure it'll need re-certification, as you need mudguards if they are originally fitted, etc. That's right eh? Won't your cut-down bandit also need re-certification if it's been modified?

sefer
18th December 2006, 20:29
I happened to bring this up with the WOF guy when I was there the other day, as like all late model kawas the KRR has a ton of plastic on the rear that really spoils the rear. He told me that any new bike can't really be altered as that's the way they have been certified, and any changes from the manufactures specs technically mean it would need to be recertified. However he did say to check out the WOF requirements for a bike and as long as you kept within them you shouldn't have any issues.

Patch
18th December 2006, 20:38
All ya need is a hacksaw, duct tape an sum cable ties. Be done in ten minutes. Bah, wof's are over-rated. If ya that concerned about it, buy ya local bike mechanic a beer or orange juice. Its all good.

Hang Loose fullas

soundbeltfarm
18th December 2006, 21:38
chopped the mudgurad thingy and num plate holder off just bolted nom plate onto a piece of plastic under tail.
no light , no reflector and never had a worry with a wof.
and to the guy with the lights from sportsbikes.co.nz
i got a tail light indicator thing all in one and it flashed fast as fuck, just got a cheap as chips flasher or whatever you call it and it slowed it down to normal sppedd.
easy as.
sorry bout spelling had a few too many bevees tonight.