PDA

View Full Version : Headlights dead

Bend-it
15th November 2006, 13:29
But high beam works...

I'll probably swap the bulb first to see if that fixes things... Do bikes use the same bulbs as cars, so can I get one from supercheap or something? It's a 12v 60/55 on an RF900

slimjim
15th November 2006, 13:39
yup take it down there, same as a car, just look at the bulb end, it will tell you, also "don't touch bulb glass with your hand's, sometimes this will blow the first time you switch lights on , bummer, as well you can upgrade your bulb to 90-55 this mean's low beam=55 stays the same, high beam is now 90, a wee bit brighter,, and you can use different colour bulb's, blue bulb white bulb or orange colour, best is to have a good read on the packet, tell's you all about it ,
as it sound's like your old bulb has a blowen filamet,

Blackbird
15th November 2006, 13:43
You'll have to yank it out to see if it's an H4, H7 fitting or whatever unless anyone knows. Seeing you have to replace it anyway, could I suggest that you consider a Xenon bulb of the same wattage to replace it? The blue-white light makes you much more visible to cage drivers in daylight, especially when you're coming up behind them. An important safety consideration. I have twin 100W Xenon bulbs but not sure if your reflector would take the higher wattage. Phillips and Narva make lower wattage ones which are normally available from places like Repco or auto electrical dealers.

ManDownUnder
15th November 2006, 13:44
yes - as SJ said.

Pull the bulb out and take a look at it - one of the filaments will be buggered

Bend-it
15th November 2006, 14:26
cool, thanks... It's a H4 fitting, I think...

Ok, down to Tory St Supercheap. Race you there!

MSTRS
15th November 2006, 14:27
Stick with 60/55. If you go higher wattage, you will need to add a relay, or risk burning out your switch

Bend-it
15th November 2006, 20:41
Yup, just swapped it and there was a 100/90(?) in there before! All good now, thanks for comments and pointers!