PDA

View Full Version : Neptune muffler onto a VTR250

bounce
15th November 2006, 16:58
Hi guys. I dropped in on Mark at Neptune mufflers today and placed an order. I figure that it should help my quiet little bike be just a little more visible/audible to the less observant fellow motorists - and if not hopefully it'll at least sound cool :rockon: Have only read good things about Neptune on this site and supporting the local shop is all good too.

My question; Do I need to rejet after fitting what I imagine will be a free flowing muffler? Obviously don't want to lean it out and melt something ...

If so, where in Wgtn would you recommend I take it?

Cheers!

crazybigal
15th November 2006, 17:30
how much is it going to cost? i have a vtr in the garage, would like to put an aftermarket can on it. let me know how you go with it.

Big Dave
15th November 2006, 17:49
Good stuff - I suspect you will have to re-jet. Ask Mark for a reccomendation.

bounce
15th November 2006, 21:23
how much is it going to cost? i have a vtr in the garage, would like to put an aftermarket can on it. let me know how you go with it.

$650 fitted and Mark will weld a flange onto the old muffler as well for me so I can bolt it back up in the event I sell and want to put it back to standard.

Yeah he thought rejet would be wise. If anyone else has already done this and knows the approx jet size to step up to let me know.
ta

Maha
15th November 2006, 21:27
Hi guys. I dropped in on Mark at Neptune mufflers today and placed an order.

I was well pleased with the service i got from Neptune a few months back...:yes:
And stoked with the 'can' i got.....you can see it in my profile pic.....:blip:

Devil
16th November 2006, 08:01
Saw a VTR250 yesterday at Holeshot motorcycles that had twin (yes TWIN!, one each side) carbon look open exhausts. It was supposed to sound great!

Shaun
16th November 2006, 08:06
Just a plug, I have bought and fitted a lot of Neptune mufflers now, and they are brilliant quality!

bounce
16th November 2006, 19:03
Just a plug, I have bought and fitted a lot of Neptune mufflers now, and they are brilliant quality!

sweet, sounds like it should be well worth it. At risk of going off topic in my own post... out of Motomart, Motorad, Wgtn Motorcycles where in wgtn d'ya recon I should get it retuned?
(There's probably a poll out there if I searched for it hard enough.:innocent:)

limbimtimwim
16th November 2006, 19:35
I got kit (set of main jets, needles) from http://www.factorypro.com/ for my old VTR250. The jets size were #118. I suspect I had it a little rich, but that was me being cautious with the fuel screws.

If get the jet kit, I'll help you fit it for some beer. It's not difficult. It's fun.

A warning, you will loose fuel economy!

Checkit: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=17491&highlight=factorypro

If, just by fitting the muffler, you have leaned it out (Racing idle when warm, too much backfire for comfort) get in there and richen up the fuel screws. But the kit will finish off the job.

frogfeaturesFZR
17th November 2006, 07:15
Post a sound clip when you get it fitted please:yes:

bounce
17th November 2006, 11:35
I got kit (set of main jets, needles) from http://www.factorypro.com/ for my old VTR250. The jets size were #118. I suspect I had it a little rich, but that was me being cautious with the fuel screws.

If get the jet kit, I'll help you fit it for some beer. It's not difficult. It's fun.

A warning, you will loose fuel economy!

Checkit: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=17491&highlight=factorypro

If, just by fitting the muffler, you have leaned it out (Racing idle when warm, too much backfire for comfort) get in there and richen up the fuel screws. But the kit will finish off the job.

Awesome info there, cheers. I guess I should drop it out to Motomart and get them to take a look at it. They should be able to source a #118 main jet alone through if they think it running lean I guess?

Yup definitely get some sort of vid clip to put up once it's done. Mark seems to be in demand. COuple of weeks wait time on my can...

limbimtimwim
17th November 2006, 12:08
Awesome info there, cheers. I guess I should drop it out to Motomart and get them to take a look at it. They should be able to source a #118 main jet alone through if they think it running lean I guess?True, they could. The needles with the factorypro kit could improve midrange. And they are adjustible items, for extra places to mess things up. Though you could move the standard needles out by putting washers under the ends of them.
Yup definitely get some sort of vid clip to put up once it's done. Mark seems to be in demand. COuple of weeks wait time on my can...Good things take time(?). How much are they asking, roughly?

bounce
17th November 2006, 12:28
going with an oval single outlet in brushed stainless finish. their black chrome looks cool but I think the silver will suit the vtr better. more understated. It will be $650 installed and Mark will set it up so that I can revert to the old muffler when I sell if need be.

Performance isn't really the objective. I can hear a bike 3 or 4 spots back in traffic so I figure it's a good thing if people can hear you coming. My bikes been hit 3 times already and it's been stationary everytime :angry: Hopefully Neptune will help.

bounce
29th November 2006, 19:08
Post a sound clip when you get it fitted please:yes:

here tis. Got the muffler fitted today. Stoked with it eh. Top quality workmanship and great service from Mark.

Check out the clip; shows the difference between the stock muffler and the neptune both with and without the baffle in place. Removing the restrictor is work of 10 seconds as well. really clever design.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BKlmnyynFmY

jeremysprite
30th November 2006, 11:04
You have a remote starter! that is way cool!!!
Btw the, last sound (neptune without the restrictor?) sounds sooo good. Definitley worth the money you paid!!

Krayy
1st December 2006, 07:49
I found a hole in the bottom of the muffler this morning, so am keen to get a performance replacement. Let us know how you get on with the rejetting.

vifferman
1st December 2006, 07:56
True, they could. The needles with the factorypro kit could improve midrange. And they are adjustible items, for extra places to mess things up. Though you could move the standard needles out by putting washers under the ends of them.Good things take time(?). How much are they asking, roughly?
I'd try shimming them first.
I did this with my VFR750 after I had the mufflers modofied, and also with the VTR1000. It was all that was required, and was easy to do.
Oh - and it cost nothing; the appropriate shims are easy to obtain, in fact I have HEAPS of them at home. If you want to give it a go, let me know and I can mail some to you.

Oh - just watched your clip; it sounds very nice now!

Ride the thing, and if it's popping and backfiring LOTS (a little is kewl) on overrun, then it's too lean. Also, if you ride along at constant throttle, and it's surging a bit, then it's too lean. If it's only popping a little when you engine-brake, and isn't noticeably hesitant when you open the throttle, leave it as is.

bounce
1st December 2006, 19:47
well Motomart have done a dyno run on it and recon that it is just fine the way it is. Apparently a little rich even at top end. I pick it up tomorrow so will get the full story then. thanks for the comments.

Drum
1st December 2006, 20:29
Looks and sounds great. Hard to believe its a 250.

hXc
1st December 2006, 20:36
I want one for The Spada now. Damn it, lack of money.

bounce
1st December 2006, 20:37
Looks and sounds great. Hard to believe its a 250.

Cheers for that. Yeah the build quality is fantastic and Mark even made it the length that I wanted to suit the bike. :first:

hXc
1st December 2006, 20:39
Have Neptune got a site or something? Can you buy a muffler and fit it yourself/get a local shop to fit it?

bounce
1st December 2006, 21:02
yes they do.

http://www.neptunemufflers.co.nz/start.htm

Neptune weld on a bracket rather than strapping the mufflers on so unless Mark had made one for a spada before he might not have the spec needed to make one without the bike being present.. Worth dropping him an email though to find out if you're keen.

To be honest I don't know how much work is involved in fitting a muffler, was stoked to have the installation free with mine.

bounce
2nd December 2006, 14:05
Here's one more clip for those who were interested in the tone.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xrBycoeFuIQ

Sketchy_Racer
2nd December 2006, 16:13
that sounds awesome. More awesome than the Yoshi pipe on my GPX!!

dazz
2nd December 2006, 21:05
Ive recently put a neptune pipe on my gsx250, when we first got it back was realy happy with the quality but found by doing the jets it made it run that much beter, az well az eliminating flat spots..

Krayy
7th December 2006, 13:17
Here's one more clip for those who were interested in the tone.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xrBycoeFuIQ

Don't you know the rule when making a "noise" video?

NO Short-Shifting!! Let it ring out as you're going past the camera.

vifferman
7th December 2006, 13:24
Dang, that sounded good! :scooter:
Mebbe I should post one of the VFR, sans spud.

dazz
8th December 2006, 21:58
That sounds mad, but do agree still need 2 hear it at red line...

bounce
10th December 2006, 18:08
Don't you know the rule when making a "noise" video?

NO Short-Shifting!! Let it ring out as you're going past the camera.

Haha fair enough. Would a vtr likely have a rev limiter? it certainly doesn't have a tach. Right I'll try and do better:D

..definitely post one of the VFR

Krayy
11th December 2006, 09:24
Haha fair enough. Would a vtr likely have a rev limiter? it certainly doesn't have a tach. Right I'll try and do better:D

..definitely post one of the VFR
According to the specs it'll top out at 10,500rpm which equates to:

2nd = ~80km/h
3rd = ~100km/h

I'm sure that the local constabulary wouldn't mind a quick run past the mic at 80km/h for science's sake :yes: