PDA

View Full Version : What tools do I need to tune a carb?

degrom
15th November 2006, 18:46
Hi.

I am trying to get my XV to idle a bitter.

What kind of tool to you need to get to the mixture screws underneath the two carburetors?

Thanks.

stanko
18th November 2006, 13:40
Before you start, have you got the manual for this bike?

You shouldnt need any special tools, just your basic screwdriver etc maybe a vacume gauge

First return all the settings to the ones indicated in the manual, then if necessary just make a small adjustment to get it runnung really nice.

The backfiring on overrun is usually caused by a leak in the exhaust.

Ixion
18th November 2006, 14:27
You often need either a bent screwdriver, or one with most of the handle cut off, there's often not much room under the carbs. I find that a socket bit gripped with a pair of long nose pliers works well (the screws are not tight)

degrom
18th November 2006, 18:05
Before you start, have you got the manual for this bike?

You shouldnt need any special tools, just your basic screwdriver etc maybe a vacume gauge

First return all the settings to the ones indicated in the manual, then if necessary just make a small adjustment to get it runnung really nice.

The backfiring on overrun is usually caused by a leak in the exhaust.

Yes,I have the Haynes one for Yamaha XV's.

All they say is that you have to turn the the back CArb to 3 turns and the front one to 1 3/8. I have set it to that. It starts better but it still is not correct.

The front cylinder is firing uneven. Every few beats it gives a extra hard one. (Back fire). when it idles,it idles for a second or sow and then drops a few RPM's before picking up RPM's to normal levels.

What could this be?

degrom
18th November 2006, 18:16
You often need either a bent screwdriver, or one with most of the handle cut off, there's often not much room under the carbs. I find that a socket bit gripped with a pair of long nose pliers works well (the screws are not tight)

I have bought me some of those bent screwdrivers but unfortunately there is no space for that to. The bent screw drivers need at least 90 degree to work.

The XV750 has a very compact design and only allows for about 45 degree turns(1/8 turns :)

I have mentioned the symptoms above, but I am not sure if it is a fuel problem anymore... :shutup:

crashe
18th November 2006, 18:21
Yes,I have the Haynes one for Yamaha XV's.

Is this Haynes Manual for the XV250cc as well???????????
(mine is the 1997 model)

As I am after a copy of the XV250cc manual.

I have the small "owners manual" but not the Haynes copy.

Would love to get hold of a copy if there is one out there.

Motu
18th November 2006, 18:40
The most important tool you need for adjusting carbs is an ''ear''.You can't buy these,but you can build your own although it does take some time and dedication to the task.

Personaly with a twin I'd pull one plug lead off and adjust idle speed and mixture for one cyl - then I'd get the exact same running with the other cyl.With both plug leads on the idle will be too high,so bring each carb down equaly until it's where you want it.No high tech stuff needed.

degrom
18th November 2006, 19:17
The most important tool you need for adjusting carbs is an ''ear''.You can't buy these,but you can build your own although it does take some time and dedication to the task.

Personaly with a twin I'd pull one plug lead off and adjust idle speed and mixture for one cyl - then I'd get the exact same running with the other cyl.With both plug leads on the idle will be too high,so bring each carb down equaly until it's where you want it.No high tech stuff needed.

Thanks I will go and test this... The front cylinder is the one I am having trouble with. What I have also notices is that the problem cylinder is blowing out black smoke when it is still cold. Is that a just the extra fuel that is being blown out?

degrom
5th January 2007, 21:41
I found a tool that could help... Hope this could help someone out there.

This tool really works great and will get into almost any tight spot!!!

avgas
5th January 2007, 21:53
I found a tool that could help... Hope this could help someone out there.

This tool really works great and will get into almost any tight spot!!!
I grabbed one of them from a $2 shop, fatastically handy. Also those kits with the L bar in them $10-15 from dicksmith was the most important piece of my service kit. Similar setup to these but not ratchet

degrom
5th January 2007, 22:01
I grabbed one of them from a $2 shop, fatastically handy. Also those kits with the L bar in them $10-15 from dicksmith was the most important piece of my service kit. Similar setup to these but not ratchet

:gob: Your joking!!! I have been looking around for a tool like this for a while now.

Very handy and easy to use. (Screwdriver ratchet)