PDA

View Full Version : Moto Guzzi 2007 models

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ghost_Bullet
15th November 2006, 20:21
Well well, no sooner has guzzi thrown out the breva, griso and norge. They anounced this year a 850cc variations of the Griso, Breva and now the Norge.
Those guys must be on steroids or somethin'.

2007 is just around the corner and they have more bikes on the table to make at least me salavate over.... ( the new Griso anyways)
Do they think they can take on Harley with the 940 Custom? I am not sure what I would go, an 883 or this 940 if given the choice. (pic Below)(make a less Cali style tank and maybe...)

I bought a black Griso in March this year, now they throw orange into the mix of colours?? Never been a person for citrus, I am way to lazy to peal these things. Orange flavoured lollies are more my taste. I think this new Guzzi fruiti colour is nice, but black still wins for me.

The exciting one right now has to be the new Griso 8V.
4 valves per cylinder, 1200cc must mean a few more HP at the rear wheel, the exaust is again one surely people will love to hate, though really a bit of improvement??? Not really sure what it is sposed to do, (louder, quieter)???
There a also a couple of subtle styling changes, not sure I like the new seat design.
This one could be in the shops May 07. Lookin forward to seeing and riding it.

For now I think the Griso 1100 will be my company for some time yet.

Oh and they got this new Breva inspired 1200 sport bike, I like the paint, another worth a demo ride when in gets here.

Awesome stuff from a company that could have disapeared from existance.

1.940 Custom
2.Orange
2.Griso 1200
3.Griso 1200 (double chamber asymmetrical silencer)
4.1200 Sport

You could go and check out the rest of the goss at http://www.motoguzzi.it/home.asp?lin=eng

:rockon:

dangerous
15th November 2006, 20:53
Yeah, well... hmmm, not sure about that stone bike and its pipes and the twin can on the Griso looks no beter than the single, the sport is a Breva with diferent bars and a seat cowl... so nothing all that new.
The Griso was 1st built with the 4v head in mind but MG decided they had none left.
Time will tell I guess.

grego
15th November 2006, 22:27
I had a test ride on a 750 Nevada a year ago and, weeeell, honestly I found nothing on it worth getting exited about. The whole bike felt kinda ""soft"".

Power was low and suspension was dubious.
For $ 15 500 it was not value for money.
Maybe these new ones are better.

dangerous
16th November 2006, 05:23
I had a test ride on a 750 Nevada a year ago and, weeeell, honestly I found nothing on it worth getting exited about. The whole bike felt kinda ""soft"".

The 750 is a small block, the bikes above big blocks... so theres no comparison as far as power goes.
The Nevada is a cruser style bike, so 'soft' is how they ride... ever tried a HD?
The Guzzi is a bike that you need to spend time on to get used to and apresiate, then you will either love it or not.
The bikes above are awesom, the Griso with a high rise pipe is the mutts nutts, handles sweet and has pleanty of snot, while the HP is not great the torque is were its at eg: last w/e a guy on a 900 Ninja said I was pulling away from him.

Ghost_Bullet
16th November 2006, 05:57

You are not wrong with the Nevada, I had one for some 4 years or so, but to be honest for that time I found it a great bike, served its purposed of hauling my wife and myself around at a sedate pace. I took an awesome tour of the entire South Island, the Nevada did it's thing(extremly reliable). I am sure not experienced when it comes to Jap or other bikes of similer cc rating. I must admit, from 2004 I was beginning to feel like a Nana riding around on it, and wishing for more. I ended up having an Internet affair with a Griso.... the rest is history.
I would find it real hard to switch brand.
I might be biased, I think there might be a little guzzi flowing through my veins.

Go jump on one of the big ones grego, you might be suprised.......

Paul in NZ
16th November 2006, 08:21
You either get Moto Guzzi and all the glorious oddness - or you don't.

Ixion
16th November 2006, 08:41
That new Norge looks a beautiful and very practical machine.:love:

Dazza
16th November 2006, 08:50
What I want to know is where is the MGS02 they promised afew years back. One regret is I'd secured an MGS01 but found out it had no road gear so said no thanks, bugger it, I should have got it anyway :love:

gav
16th November 2006, 19:09
Has that 1200 Sport in the top photos got a white "number board" on the tail section?? :gob: The old race rep, aye? Thought I'd seen the odd Guzzi in the WSBK races..........yeah right!

doc
16th November 2006, 19:30
They certainly are ugly in a beautiful sort of way . At least they have character and people that still love no matter what the factory does. Sort of like the anti christ (anti harley crowdish) pity about the resale tho.

dangerous
16th November 2006, 20:11
Has that 1200 Sport in the top photos got a white "number board" on the tail section?? :gob: The old race rep, aye? Thought I'd seen the odd Guzzi in the WSBK races..........yeah right!

Now WTF are you on about gav, No one said any thing about WSBK... but FWIW, Guzzi's back ground has predominately been right from the start... racing

What I want to know is where is the MGS02 they promised afew years back. :love:New to me... tell me more

You either get Moto Guzzi and all the glorious oddness - or you don't.
Amen

Dazza
17th November 2006, 07:36
New to me... tell me more

It was when the MGS01:love: was first conceived, maybe about the time Aprilia took over, it was going to have a 2 valve pushrod engine ala 1100Sport/V11 engine with the same bodywork as the 01,now that would be a seller IMHO, instead of all the V11,LeMans knockup variations they did (just re-read your post,not getting @ your bike), I do like the Griso though but it should've had the 4 valve as intended :dodge:

Devil
17th November 2006, 07:51
Oooo baby give me a griso or the sport. NICE!

Matt Bleck
17th November 2006, 08:39
I see no where for a plough to be fitted on any of those agricultural devices...

Dazza
17th November 2006, 08:50
I see no where for a plough to be fitted on any of those agricultural devices...Gosh that is soooo original, I spose it had to happen sooner rather than later:rolleyes: :niceone:

Matt Bleck
17th November 2006, 09:07
Gosh that is soooo original, I spose it had to happen sooner rather than later:rolleyes: :niceone:

lol, and the person it was aimed at won't even see it

dangerous
17th November 2006, 09:15
It was when the MGS01:love: was first conceived, maybe about the time Aprilia took over, it was going to have a 2 valve pushrod engine ala 1100Sport/V11 engine with the same bodywork as the 01,now that would be a seller IMHO, instead of all the V11,LeMans knockup variations they did (just re-read your post,not getting @ your bike), I do like the Griso though but it should've had the 4 valve as intended :dodge:

I agree re the Lemans bikes, having said that the worse thing MG have done of late is stop the LeMans name as it is sanonamous with the MG name, glad I have the very last LeMans to have been built.

Cant see why MG would put the 2v engine in the MGS, just not sporty nuff, having said that they can be made to haul arse but not as much as the 4v... ever ridden a RS1000? fucking awesome.

IMO I think the reason the MGS never came out in road trim is due to Aprila taking ofer at that time and they didnt want to encrotch on the Aprila sports bike... wouldnt look good if a MG did beter than a RSV.

I see no where for a plough to be fitted on any of those agricultural devices...
Theres always one... look closer, up under the rear guard... there ya see now :shutup:

lol, and the person it was aimed at won't even see it
LOL... and that would be?

Paul in NZ
17th November 2006, 09:33
Well all joking aside - yet again Moto Guzzi is standing on the edge of a return to the glory days. A few new models and at least 2 new engines on the way. Apparently the 1200S has the beginnings of the new engine with a much uprated oil pump. That might seem a stupid thing to say BUT the DOHC twin will need to rev much higher and will definately need a new pump as the old one cavitates around 9,000 rpm (according to Mr Ropers blown up engine dept)

What the punters will get soon is a new motor that will eventually get up around the 120 to 140 hp mark and maybe a V4 to take on the ST1300.

Personally - I think this is a good thing. Diversity of design and choice in the market place is a good thing. The UJM does not suit every taste and Moto Guzzi has a glorious history and some solid engineering genius behind it. not everyones cup of frothy coffee but.....

If I could afford a new one - I'd have one...

Paul N

Dazza
17th November 2006, 09:41
Cant see why MG would put the 2v engine in the MGS, just not sporty nuff, having said that they can be made to haul arse but not as much as the 4v... ever ridden a RS1000? fucking awesome. I've ridden the Daytona(95) & the RS(97), infact my mate still has his Daytona & an RSVR, yeah agreed they go like shit, but I prefered the bottom end of my ex 1100Sport ie.mine was pumping out a whopping 80RWHP @ 7600 RPM (I think that's where it was):sunny:

Paul in NZ
17th November 2006, 09:47
I've ridden the Daytona(95) & the RS(97), infact my mate still has his Daytona & an RSVR, yeah agreed they go like shit, but I prefered the bottom end of my ex 1100Sport ie.mine was pumping out a whopping 80RWHP @ 7600 RPM (I think that's where it was):sunny:

The 4V daytona motor was a dead end for Guzzi. yeah you can make em go fast(ish) but they only make a few more ponies than the 2v and cost a lot more to make and the servicing is a chore.

Guzzi will have to go DOHC and water cooled... sad....

dangerous
17th November 2006, 09:49
Well all joking aside - yet again Moto Guzzi is standing on the edge of a return to the glory days. A few new models and at least 2 new engines on the way.

What the punters will get soon is a new motor that will eventually get up around the 120 to 140 hp mark and maybe a V4 to take on the ST1300.

Ya reckon... all I see from 97 - 04 was the same bikes with different paint.
04- is the newer engine which with all its up grades still has no more HP that the very 1st 1100 with carbs.
Sure the 04 on bikes are a huge upgrade as far as frame and running gear goes, but there seems to be just the 3 bikes... the cruser and its 2 variations the Griso and the Breva which comes with a different paint and fairings 3 variations so far, hope history isnt going to repeat with the Breva.

I have seen the Norge (full dresser Breva) with the 1200cc, looks no different to the 1000/1100

Now weres ya info comming from re 120-140 hp and the V4, this talk has been around for a decade, anything new there?

dangerous
17th November 2006, 09:53
I've ridden the Daytona(95) & the RS(97), infact my mate still has his Daytona & an RSVR, yeah agreed they go like shit, but I prefered the bottom end of my ex 1100Sport ie.mine was pumping out a whopping 80RWHP @ 7600 RPM (I think that's where it was):sunny:

Sounds bout right 91hp crank for the 1100 and 102hp crank for the 1000.
The single seater Daytonas have 3hp more than a 1100, i wouldnt have one but the RS is wicked having said that its all as you know up top so is really only suited to going fast.. were as the 1100 is a much more usable engine, hell at the end of the day we spend more time in the lower rev range on the road.

Ixion
17th November 2006, 10:23
The 4V daytona motor was a dead end for Guzzi. yeah you can make em go fast(ish) but they only make a few more ponies than the 2v and cost a lot more to make and the servicing is a chore.

Guzzi will have to go DOHC and water cooled... sad....

That would be regrettable. Why can't they just up the capacity? DOHC only need to you want high revs, and watercooling not needed on a transverse twin?

What's wrong with a MG 1800 ? The extra weight wouldn't really amount ot that much and the layout would accomdate it without ill effect.

Or, here's an idea. Supercharger! Should work very well, big slowish revving engine just whats wanted for a blower, transverse twin can disperse lots of heat , and should not be too hard to hook the blower in with the inline drive layout.

Paul in NZ
17th November 2006, 10:40
Ya reckon... all I see from 97 - 04 was the same bikes with different paint.
04- is the newer engine which with all its up grades still has no more HP that the very 1st 1100 with carbs.
Sure the 04 on bikes are a huge upgrade as far as frame and running gear goes, but there seems to be just the 3 bikes... the cruser and its 2 variations the Griso and the Breva which comes with a different paint and fairings 3 variations so far, hope history isnt going to repeat with the Breva.

I have seen the Norge (full dresser Breva) with the 1200cc, looks no different to the 1000/1100

Now weres ya info comming from re 120-140 hp and the V4, this talk has been around for a decade, anything new there?

Not true. New gearbox, new frames, new final drive and now new engine components. In the wings are higher reving 850cc versions of the griso and breva nd a DOHC 920cc bike. There is more stuff coming out of the factory than ever.

The AIGOR guys are picking a slow evolution - new motor in lo po version and a step up into the 100 plus club.

dangerous
17th November 2006, 13:29
Or, here's an idea. Supercharger! Should work very well, big slowish revving engine just whats wanted for a blower, transverse twin can disperse lots of heat , and should not be too hard to hook the blower in with the inline drive layout.

MG have supercharged there engines since the early days from singles, Triples and fours... so bring it back I say.

Not true. New gearbox, new frames, new final drive and now new engine components.

In the wings are higher reving 850cc versions of the griso and breva nd a DOHC 920cc bike. There is more stuff coming out of the factory than ever.

The AIGOR guys are picking a slow evolution - new motor in lo po version and a step up into the 100 plus club.

Yeah I know thats what I meant by upgraded runing gear.

I have no idea why the 850 big block was presented... It makes no sence, as heavy as a 1100 but even less grunt.

Paul, have ya seen this Mk1 that just poped up http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=77884747

Paul in NZ
17th November 2006, 14:51
Yes - looks a reasonable buy!

The 850 will rev harder and be more 'sporty' would be my guess....

Motig
17th November 2006, 14:51
Like the Breva Sport followed by the Griso as long as they have that lovely Guzzi rumble its all good. But I do have to agree with dangerous that they appear do be doing the variations on a theme ala the V11 still spose it means your bike isnt out of date styling wise as soon as it rolls out the shop door and yes if lotto comes in I'm up for the Sport.

grego
17th November 2006, 14:59
................having said all that (Well, I mean you guys said it, I was just watchin the thread) it is still more of the same old stuff and me finks sometimes it is better to let a good beautyfull thing die in peace, before some guy really drives one down the road with a friggen plough attache at the back, or a concrete mixer.

But then again, there is always been a market for nostalgia.:done:

Bonez
17th November 2006, 15:21
I have no idea why the 850 big block was presented...Wont the fly- wheel be lighter, and less stress on components?

dangerous
17th November 2006, 15:50
Wont the fly- wheel be lighter, and less stress on components?

Could be, but theres not a single thing wrong with the 1100 fly wheel? and the components could take a bit more stress, built like a brick shit house the 1100's

Ghost_Bullet
17th November 2006, 15:59
Wont the fly- wheel be lighter, and less stress on components?

Lighter petrol would help, lower centre of gravity:mellow:

dangerous
20th November 2006, 19:26
OK, so I have been looking into it and have been suprised rather well... Guzzi is on the move.

With 1200cc, single overhead cam and four valve per cylinder this ups the power to around 109 bhp @ 9,500 rpm with a torque figure of around 80 ftlb.

The utterly unique exhaust system on the Griso 1100 has gone even more extreme on the 8v and now terminates with a "double chamber asymmetrical silencer". See for yourself in the pictures.

The extra power has led to the seat beening resculpted and the peg and bars subtly modified to give a slightly sportier aspect.

Up front, there are 320mm wavy discs and radial Brembo calipers.

I really dident expect to find a redesigned engine but just the 850 square fin remed out to a 1200, how ever un like the daytona engine which the over head gear was belt driven, I cant see belts externaly at all on this new 1200, so that part still has me guessing.

Ghost_Bullet
20th November 2006, 20:22
Did ya know the pipe on the original Griso has a weight of around 8.5kg.
I wonder what this new designed one weighs, it does not look any smaller.

3 options below, do seach about and the list is long.
The 1st below does improve perfomance they say.
Check out http://www.mivv.it/moto_usa/news_apri.asp?cn=324 if you are on the look out.
(I am, but wife wants a sewing machine first, damit)

Paul in NZ
21st November 2006, 08:17
Told ya....

There are a great many new things happening at Moto Guzzi - personally - I have some hope because they are going about it fairly cautiously.

Grantasaurus
21st November 2006, 09:16
You can call a Moto Guzzi a tractor all you like for having an "an Agricultural motor" but they still look gorgeous don't they?

No one does a bike like the italians do. That 1200 sport looks incredible. They're well built too, I had a perv at the ones in at Mt Eden motorcycles and everything looks good, the dials are very bespoke.

Can't wait for my full licence and a full time engineering salary to buy one of these :)

Is it sad for a 21 year old to want a Moto Guzzi?

Paul in NZ
21st November 2006, 09:20

Not at all but you have to be willing to listening to all the sheep bleating about 300kph. You either get Guzzi - or you don't. If you get it, as a bonus you become a member of a great global 'society' full of some of the most decent motorcyclists I have ever had the honour to be associated with.

nudemetalz
21st November 2006, 09:25
I absolutely love the looks of the Griso, they have just got a winner there.

Nothing else says "style" more than this pic here.....

Grantasaurus
21st November 2006, 10:20
Not at all but you have to be willing to listening to all the sheep bleating about 300kph. You either get Guzzi - or you don't. If you get it, as a bonus you become a member of a great global 'society' full of some of the most decent motorcyclists I have ever had the honour to be associated with.

I still don't get the big deal people make about 300km/h. It doesn't take any skill to get a bike up to that speed provided it will do it, just a nice big straight bit of road. It's not what I'm looking for.... I like the sound and feel of riding a bike, not stupidly high speeds. Yes, I do have plenty of testosterone, but if I want some stress relief or a buzz, it can wait til I join the Territorials after I finish Uni.

Oh... and I have been up to those sorts of speeds before, as passenger in a Mustang racecar around puke. Wasn't particularly scary, nor did the driver seem too troubled by the whole thing, she just kept the pedal planted and it got up there. Just in case anyone tries to defend 300km/h runs...

dangerous
21st November 2006, 18:00
3 options below,
My preferance tho... would be to swing the can under neith to the right hand side tho, showing the swing armless rear of at its best and aswell as making a rear wheel change efotless. :rockon:

Na man, you simpily just have the tast for the indervidual... you will go places :Punk:

as a bonus you become a member of a great global 'society' full of some of the most decent motorcyclists I have ever had the honour to be associated with.
Why thank you Paul :Punk:

Paul in NZ
21st November 2006, 18:18
Why thank you Paul :Punk:

Pah! Exceptions to every rule I suppose.....:innocent:

OH - must send you a copy of the wee movie the Dutch Guzzisti made of the Wellington experience...

nudemetalz
22nd November 2006, 20:29
I must ask, what is it like owning a 'Guzzi ?
ie ease of maintenance etc.

I want one as my next bike, quite like the look of the V11 Sports (non-faired).

dangerous
22nd November 2006, 20:42
I must ask, what is it like owning a 'Guzzi ?
ie ease of maintenance etc.

I want one as my next bike, quite like the look of the V11 Sports (non-faired).

nude me old mate... its like this, I brought my 1st MG when I was offered an offer for my 500 turbo that I couldnt say no. This ment that I could buy my dream bike of the time.
5yrs ago I brought me the 1100inj sport, off the net and having never ridden one.
1st time I rode it I thought WTF have I done, it was not good, vibrated rattley clutch, twist to the left when taking off... it was like nothing I had ridden before.

Now the thing is 6 months later I was loving it more and more every day. The MG people I meet were awesome, kind, funny, helpfull (well ya have to be cos thers a few wee tricks ya have to know if owning one)

Now 2yrs on and the chance to get my 1st brand new bike came up, so i traded the MG in on a VTR1000 Firestorm.
Great bike, whellied well shit load a stink etc... but 1 of a million, I had to spend thousands on it making it different to all the other VTR's out there.

Now something was missing so 2yrs down the track it dawned on me what it was... the MG.. it was in my blood contagous like the plage.

So last year I traded it in on a new V11, a Nero Corsa, the very last LeMans to be built. Top notch brakes and suspension... lacked the grunt of the VTR but so what it has more touque than the Storm and thats whats usuable on todays roads.
And I might ad the Guzzi whellies too, is way more comphy touring and apart from lacking a tad on the ground clearance, it hauls arse on the track with the best of them.

At the end of the day... you wont know till ya try one. As far as maintanance, there aint none apart from a oil change, check the tappets (ohh so easy) and a little grease on the sharfty once in a while. :scooter:

Now was ther anything else I can help with?

Ghost_Bullet
22nd November 2006, 21:22
1st time I rode it I thought WTF have I done, it was not good, vibrated rattley clutch, twist to the left when taking off... it was like nothing I had ridden before.

Now the thing is 6 months later I was loving it more and more every day. The MG people I meet were awesome, kind, funny, helpfull (well ya have to be cos thers a few wee tricks ya have to know if owning one)

Now something was missing so 2yrs down the track it dawned on me what it was... the MG.. it was in my blood contagous like the plage.

Nero Corsa, the very last LeMans to be built. Top notch brakes and suspension... lacked the grunt of the VTR but so what it has more touque than the Storm and thats whats usuable on todays roads.

Ole Nude, I would have to aggree with the Man!
Myself I have never riden anything with more than two cyclinders, they all were a bit rattly, First time I jumped on my little Nevada 750 My wife and I said that was it, a great wee bike that got me around to see alot. When it came to look for something else, realy the only contenders were the Beva 1100 Griso 1100, and I was thinking about the Buel Ulysess (never got to ride one of those though)
I was sold on the Griso as soon as I rode it, sure the clutch is a bit rattly at idle when pulled in. The gear box is much better than the Nevada, but still has it moments.
Over all, just gotta love it. And I think the thing that they are not seen on every street corner is kinda nice (though there are a few gettin about now)

I to would say that you gotta take one for a run and make ya own mind up...

I'm in love with mine :love:

nudemetalz
22nd November 2006, 21:32
Thanks Dangerous & Ghost_Bullet :)
Very insightful !!!

I always thought I liked the big inline 4's til I had a ride on my friend's Buell Cyclone. It has a loud V&H pipe and pod filter on it.
I loved the v-twin feel but Buell's don't really float my boat.
Always like the Guzzi's, they're just that little bit different for an Italian machine.

Alrighties,...how do I convince the wife?
Should I use the line ,.."well I want a v-twin so I could be just like you on your VTR-250??" :love: ...errr, that may not work....:bash:

Ixion
22nd November 2006, 21:41
Tell her you've been reading up on how dangerous a neglected chain can be and how critical it is to lubrictae them throughly.

The old way, boiling it in grease.

And proceed to do so (use an old chain if you can't be bothered taking yours off).

Fill the house with stinky smoke from the hot grease. Then spread greasy black shit throughout the house.Don't forget the curtains.

When she erupts, feign injured innocence. Ask her if she wants you to be safe or not. For the sake of the children/kittens/pot plants as appropriate.

Then point out that , of course, if you had a shaft drive bike, none of this problem would occur. And, by chance, you have these brochures, and you THINK, hang on yes, it IS shaft drive. Sorted.

nudemetalz
22nd November 2006, 21:55
Blimmin' 'eck, Ixion !!!!
If I did that, I don't think even the SAS could help me !!!!!!!! :ar15:

Funny you should say that because we do have to do the camchains and tensioners on her 250 (gee, not a common Honda fault at all) :brick:

thehollowmen
22nd November 2006, 23:39
very cute, wish I could have one but won't have the cash for a very long time

dangerous
23rd November 2006, 05:32
Alrighties,...how do I convince the wife?

easy, ya tell her 4cyl's belong in cars... and ya already have one of them.
Now if you get around to a MG test ride, make sure you take it for a LONG test ride, cos like I said 1st impresion wont be that good, the longer ya spend on one the more at home you become.
Remember the clutchs are 'dry' so they are ment to rattle sme as the tappets, they have huge clearences, the big fly wheel will cause the bike to drop into corners fast and that with the shaft will cause the bike to drift to the left... BUT before no time you will get used to this and wont even notice it.

Now if you get to the point were you are considering a V11 post up which modle and I'll fill ya in on the differences between the years. :scooter:

Ghost_Bullet
23rd November 2006, 06:11
Someones been workin on photoshop here, will guzzi develop another bike that is Quota'ish (thats a model I have not seen in the flesh for a long time)
The Quota was not pretty, but for some reason I liked it's look. There was one sitting in a Chch store for years it seems quite some time ago, and I enjoyed stopping by it to take a look.

I dont much like the idea of using the Breva as the base of styling for up and coming models.

Below is the so called image of the Stelvio, and the Quota

nudemetalz
23rd November 2006, 08:46
easy, ya tell her 4cyl's belong in cars... and ya already have one of them.
Now if you get around to a MG test ride, make sure you take it for a LONG test ride, cos like I said 1st impresion wont be that good, the longer ya spend on one the more at home you become.
Remember the clutchs are 'dry' so they are ment to rattle sme as the tappets, they have huge clearences, the big fly wheel will cause the bike to drop into corners fast and that with the shaft will cause the bike to drift to the left... BUT before no time you will get used to this and wont even notice it.

Now if you get to the point were you are considering a V11 post up which modle and I'll fill ya in on the differences between the years. :scooter:

Thanks Dangerous.

I'm in the process of refurbing the ZX-10 while I can't ride (for now).
When we last went around the SI at Easter I told her the hunched over (well, relatively) position hurt my wrists and back (I had a crash at Ruapuna many years ago) and thought about replacing it with a more upright positioned bike.
Funny thing is, is that she agreed !!
This gives me ammunition !!!!:yes:

I hear what you’re saying and it totally concurs with what I’ve read on the net about MG’s.

Cheers,
TNZ

Grantasaurus
23rd November 2006, 18:19
very cute, wish I could have one but won't have the cash for a very long time

Cute? Not a word I'd use to describe a Guzzi. Distinctive? I don't know, but definitely not cute.

dangerous
23rd November 2006, 18:58
Someones been workin on photoshop here, will guzzi develop another bike that is Quota'ish

I hope that they do, could see myself on a Quota some day... but that new pic you show, that fairing is horid.
MG have been building off road bikes for a long time, from 50cc too 650 4v heads and 750's and lets not forget the bigger 1000/1100's

nudemetalz
23rd November 2006, 19:39
Well, I told the Missus I want a Moto Guzzi today.
She said "like that one (the Griso 1200) on your PC wallpaper?".
I said "errr...not quite that expensive...but along those lines"

So ,..the ball is rolling...just have to finish off the '10 and go from there.

Ghost_Bullet
23rd November 2006, 20:19
I hope that they do, could see myself on a Quota some day... but that new pic you show, that fairing is horid.
MG have been building off road bikes for a long time, from 50cc too 650 4v heads and 750's and lets not forget the bigger 1000/1100's

Yeah for sure, I will never regret the decision to get what I got, but there is a part of me that longs for something that can get out back country, If Guzzi had a quota style bike at the time I was looking, that might well have been the winner. :first:

Well, I told the Missus I want a Moto Guzzi today.
She said "like that one (the Griso 1200) on your PC wallpaper?".
I said "errr...not quite that expensive...but along those lines"

So ,..the ball is rolling...just have to finish off the '10 and go from there.

Good work, you know I faced the same task myself of convincing my other half of the dire need for a bike replacement. In some ways it was quite sad that the hardest part was choosing the bike, she was more, "just make a decision!"
Enjoy the hunt for the "most wanted" :)

nudemetalz
23rd November 2006, 20:29
What made you go for the Griso, may I ask please, Ghost_Bullet?

(I know the fact that it's drop-dead gorgeous may have came into it ;) )

Ghost_Bullet
23rd November 2006, 20:46

What made me go the Griso??? I was considering a Jackel for about 13k, The I thought if I could get a nice trade for my Nevada I would look at a Breva. it was about 19k at the time. When I went for the test ride they did not have the breva instore, so the fella said take the griso.. same engine. BIG bad mistake, I loved it. Took a Breva out the following weekend, did not hate it, but I did not feel the same emotion for it.
I was sold on the Griso, secured a deal that made me feel happy at least. :done: and took it home a few days later.

The Griso is unique, looks great, and most importantly makes me happy:yes:

dangerous
23rd November 2006, 20:46

Well I might aswell but back in again... heres my write up on the Griso when it was 1st released this year. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=25273 (Pics and thoughts from post 20)
If i didnt already have the bike I do, then I'd have had a griso by now, but the Nero corsa is a rare bike and is awesom on the open rd... and its far from being paid off, so ill keep it for the time being.

nudemetalz
24th November 2006, 07:15
Thanks for the link Dangerous and thanks for the reply Silver_Bullet.

As much as I'd love a Griso, they're a little out of my price league (for now anyway), so will concentrate on seeing what other MG's are available.
I don't want anything as old as a Mk4/5 Le Mans, something definitely single-shock.

Paul in NZ
24th November 2006, 08:00
Why a Moto Guzzi?

I don't know - honestly ... But they appeal to people that just don't want another megga hp sportsbike or a super polished super tourer. Neither does the Motor Companies products particularly appeal. They are looking for a little bit of history, a little bit of rarity and a lot of raw motorcycle.

BUT be warned - this is a bike that will test you. You will have odd problems and there will be times when you wonder what on earth possessed you to purchase shuch a useless pile of crap - at the other end of the scale you will have days when you wonder why it took so long for the wool to fall from you eyes and your heart with leap from the pure joy of riding the thing.

Guzzis traditionally appeal to people that like to tinker and do most of their own maintenance but thats changing as well. The bikes are getting better all the time but thus far they have not lost their Guzziness which is a very rare thing in this day.

Above all else - I have never failed to be impressed with the quality of the people that own them. I have made some very very good friends in Aussie, NZ, the States and in Europe just from participating in the whole Moto Guzzi madness. (I write a regular column in the MGNOC magazine)

People that blag them have never taken the time to try an understand them or at least have never managed to suff their egos back into their trousers and enjoy the bike for what it is, getting over the fact it's never going to have 170hp is a start....

If you buy a Guzzi - it will cost you a fortune and break your heart but if you fall under the spell of the falcon you will happily throw money at it and howl like a loon at the memory of feeling the big twin climbing up onto the cam and the whole cast joining the tenor on stage for the chorus.... Bellisimo... Its a heroic bike - a piston engined fighter plane - the last of the big hairy chested twins - love it before the standards athourities slap us all into line on our electric mountain bikes

hec
24th November 2006, 08:53
Thanks for your Why a Moto Guzzi post

Only new bike I ever bought was a 1995 Cali - which left me in tears in the end - no two bolts were the same and minor teething problems included the rear fender falling off, fuel injection hoses perishing after a year...

But as you say always been something missing ever since..

Cannot get used to the look of the post aprilia guzzi so always been vaguely tempted by a 1100 sport carb that someone else has spent the last decade sorting out ..

Paul in NZ
24th November 2006, 09:12
Thanks for your Why a Moto Guzzi post

Only new bike I ever bought was a 1995 Cali - which left me in tears in the end - no two bolts were the same and minor teething problems included the rear fender falling off, fuel injection hoses perishing after a year...

But as you say always been something missing ever since..

Cannot get used to the look of the post aprilia guzzi so always been vaguely tempted by a 1100 sport carb that someone else has spent the last decade sorting out ..

Thats odd because a 1995 Cali is generally a good thing BUT the mid 90's was one of guzzi's 'patchy' periods. Poor old Guzzi has been raped by a succession of well intentioned loons for yonks and it's a tribute to the basic design that it survived.

The great thing about Guzzis now is the Internet. There is no single issue that cannot be easily resolved either via the web OR the bible - 'Guzziology' which is a MUST have for any new Guzzi twin owner. Its almost an object of folk art in it's self.

If I was looking at an 1100 Sport. Go for the very late 1100i. It's superiour in every way. The carb sports have average suspension and worst of all - a 3 dog engagement system in the gearbox which reduces the life of the shaft drive AND leads to early failure of the box it'self. The answer is to swap the box for the earlier 5 dog box from the LMV etc. Or so I'm told....

Cheers

Dazza
24th November 2006, 10:59
Why a Moto Guzzi, I too have not owned (road bike anyway,well bigone) anything not made in Italy (until now)with more than 2 cylinders either. I haven't owned a MG since 2000 and have only owned one & cannot stay away from this thread. Bought my 1997 1100ie Sport new and did just over 43000 k's in just over 3 yrs and loved it, never ridden an 1100 Sport (or MG for that matter), apart from a test riding a LeMans in 1988 or even seen the ie. in the flesh, so the first ride was different to say the least, traded my 1985 Ducati 900S2 on it as I wasn't buying a 916 & no other Ducati appealed to me.Had an excellent run out of the Guzzi & was an awesome bike 2 up & even IL4's had a hard time holding her @ bay, the roads up here have corners somewhere up ahead.Anyway Guzzi,Guzzi,Guzzi in a chanting sort of way:rockon:

Paul in NZ
24th November 2006, 11:23
Nice looking bike....

Ghost_Bullet
24th November 2006, 11:32
As much as I'd love a Griso, they're a little out of my price league (for now anyway), so will concentrate on seeing what other MG's are available.
I don't want anything as old as a Mk4/5 Le Mans, something definitely single-shock.

I am not sure what the pricing will be, Convert the Aussie prices and that might indicate, but guzzi have the 850 Griso and Breva on there way.
Check this site out... http://www.motoguzzi.com.au/menu12.html

I woke this morning to go out on my Griso to find it would not roll, the freking air in the back tyre had risen to the top. Not sure what the offender is, but people might aggree I am due for a tyre.....

Dazza
24th November 2006, 11:33
Nice looking bike....
Cheers Man, it was a nice bike and served me well :yes:

Paul in NZ
24th November 2006, 11:57
I seriously had the hots for one of those late 1100i's - still have..... One day...

nudemetalz
24th November 2006, 12:45
This thread is sooooo addictive !!

I have to see what my spending allowance from Mrs Nudie is first.
But it will probably be an 1100cc I think.

Dazza
24th November 2006, 12:51
This thread is sooooo addictive !!
No it's not, stop bloody posting, aye cunny stay away captin.:mellow:

nudemetalz
24th November 2006, 13:02
and you stop posting pics of your lovely, gorgeous 1100....you're not helping me....I can't work at present....:mellow:

Dazza
24th November 2006, 13:07
and you stop posting pics of your lovely, gorgeous 1100....you're not helping me....I can't work at present....:mellow:she's my ex of 6yrs now, but still miss her:bye:

Dazza
24th November 2006, 13:24
& in the second photo the purple V11 is hiding between the black V11 & the Aprilia shitta:yes:

nudemetalz
24th November 2006, 13:30
That pic of the Guzzi with the bulldogs is quite artistic,..almost like the dogs are trying to simulate an "across the frame V-Twin".. ;)

Dazza
24th November 2006, 13:33
That pic of the Guzzi with the bulldogs is quite artistic,..almost like the dogs are trying to simulate an "across the frame V-Twin".. ;)Whoa now your freckin me out :dodge: , nah the boxer wasn't too keen but the bulldog was a poser and too stupid to know any better.

dangerous
26th November 2006, 12:20
and you stop posting pics of your lovely, gorgeous 1100....you're not helping me....I can't work at present....:mellow:

OK... then heres a pic of my old Guz, now with over 100.000k on it and going hard.

And a pic off a mates 1100i sport corsa (factory race chip, pipes and engine and some body work black) one off 200 only.

And my current Guz, a V11 LeMans Nero Corsa (two tone black in checkered flag... only one in Oz/NZ)

nudemetalz
26th November 2006, 20:25
Nice pics, Dangerous !!

Cheers.

Hey, what do you Guzziphiles think about this?
I'm very tempted at present, to the point of considering flying down to see it.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=76264381&key=497285

dangerous
27th November 2006, 05:24

Its one of the 1st V11's but nothing wrong with that, I dont think pod filters on a Guz inj is a good thing, but if it has been tuned right (replacement chip) and it pulls nice then it shouldnt be a problem.

If ya want Ill check it out for ya, havnt been to that place for a lok as yet.

nudemetalz
27th November 2006, 09:21
That would be cool, thanks :)

I'm going to ring them and see if I can get some more pics emailed through as well.

The Missus has given approval for me to purchase a Guzzi.

Paul in NZ
27th November 2006, 09:31
Do yourself a favour...

Do a bit of research and take one for a test ride first...

Ask questions here - http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?act=home

They are a friendly bunch. I would think long and hard about that bike - Pod filters on a V11? Nah... K&N in the stock airbox maybe...

Cheers

nudemetalz
27th November 2006, 09:41
I spoke to the "owner" about the V11.
He was honest about the pod-filters but said it carburets perfectly.

I should find one up here to take for a test-ride like you say.
I know I would like it though. The style really appeals to me.

Cheers
NDMz

laRIKin
27th November 2006, 11:01
I have ridden that V11 and it goes real well.

It has some stone chip's and has had all the recalls because of bad bolts used as they were over hard and broke in some of the earlier bikes.

2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Recall
NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 03V487000
Recall Date: Nov 24, 2003
Component: Engine And Engine Cooling
Potential Number Of Units Affected: 64
Summary: On certain motorcycles, under extended running speeds near the engines revolution limit, the engines connecting rod bolts can fail. Consequence: should such a failure occur, the motorcycles engine can suddenly stop turning or lock, requiring the operator to disengage the clutch in order to maintain control of the motorcycle. If the clutch is not disengaged, the operator can lose of control of the motorcycle, which could result in a crash, personal injury, or death.

Remedy: Dealers will install new, redesigned connecting rods and bolts. Owner notification is expected to begin during December 2003. Owners should contact Moto Guzzi at 1-877-aprilia (1-877-277-4542).

Notes: Moto Guzzi Recall No. 101EAS. Customers can also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

2000 - 2001 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Recall
NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 03V486000
Recall Date: November 24, 2003
Component: Transmission
Potential Number Of Units Affected: 680
Summary: On certain motorcycles, the gearbox shift sleeves for engagement of 3rd to 6th gears can fracture unexpectedly while the motorcycle is in use.

Consequence: should such a fracture occur, the motorcycle's rear wheel can suddenly stop turning or lock, resulting in a loss of control of the motorcycle, which could result in a crash, personal injury, or death.

Remedy: Dealers will install new, improved shift rings and a redesigned cush-drive assembly. Owner notification is expected to begin during December 2003. Owners should contact Moto Guzzi at 1-877-aprilia (1-877-277-4542).

Notes: Moto Guzzi recall No. 101EBS. Customers can also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

The first few years of the V11's had a shorter wheel base which some people did not like.
So they lenghted them after about 02 to keep people happy.
This sounds a bit like the 16" wheel all over again doesn't it.
I found apart from corning quicker than any other Guzzi I had ridden it was fine.
I found that it rode real well and like all bikes that I have ridden with fuel injection does come on a bit hash off the idle when going a round a corner.
But you learn to ride around that hiccup.

laRIKin
27th November 2006, 11:02
I found this interesting reading and it should help get you up to speed on the V11's.

Here is a rather lengthy response plageurised from the V11LeMans Board.

Interested in buying a V11?
Frequently asked questions from potential buyers

Are you interested in buying a V11 sport, Le Mans, Ballabio, Rosso, Coppa, etc.?
BigJ sums up the gist of this faq pretty easily:
"Just see if you like it. It may have flat spots, a clunky box, vibrate, need the suspension set up. Dont worry about it, they're fairly easy to sort/fix. Just enjoy yourself, if you find you're grinning to yourself as you go, its for you. If you dont gell, try another one."

Breakdown of changes in year models from 1999-2005.
The V11 sport variants (referred to here as just 'V11') have been produced from about '99 to 2005. I understand that this model is now discontinued, and will no longer be built. That makes it a legacy bike, I guess.
Major similarities: All the V11 models are 'spine frame' bikes. The name derives from the large square 'spine' that runs the center of the bike between the cylinders and serves as the main frame component. All the V11 variants have the normal Guzzi two cylinder, two valve/cylinder motor that is in a higher state of tune than the 'cruiser' model Guzzi's. The valves must be adjusted- they are not hydraulic.
All the V11 variants have the six-speed transmission and a hydraulic clutch. Older spine frame Guzzi's like the 1100 sport, 1100sporti, etc. have a 5 speed box.
Real changes in the bikes from inception to end are small and incremental.
1999-2001 models have a (shorter) red frame and have steeper steering geometry than later models (except RM). They handle 'quicker' or some say 'more twitchy'. Some say they are unstable at high speed- I've never had a problem. The 99-01 models have clip-ons mounted below the upper triple clamp and have Veglia (brand) instruments. They have a thinner rear tire (4.5") and the brake rotors have circular holes in them; apparently the 'circular hole rotors' are more prone to warping than later rotors. My mid-year '01 has later model rotors fitted, so your guess is as good as mine here.
Guzzi went to a longer wheelbase in late '01 or '02 to increase high speed stability. The '01 RM has this longer wheelbase already. '02 and later models have additional bracing in the frame and a wider 5.5" rear wheel. New front forks with the clip-ons mounted above the triple clamp are standard. '02 and later models have black engine paint. The '02 model paint is 'fuzzy' and is prone to flaking and blistering off- so it looked horrible- and Guzzi offered new cases to those afflicted with it. New brake rotors (triangular holes) are stock.
Late '02 models were commonly rebadged as '03 models. True '03 models should have a '3' in the VIN.
In '02 or '03, Guzzi changed the electric gas petcock out for a manual version.
'03 was a 'big' year for changes in the V11; many improvements were made. Fork diameter is larger, front axle diameter is larger and the axle is hollow. A front crossover or balance pipe is added above the alternator (improves midrange performance). The engine has a *claimed* higher compression set of pistons, which are now cooled by an oil jet (more on this below). The fuel pump was relocated to the interior of the gas tank, so '03+ models do not suffer from vapor lock like earlier models (see below). Several cosmetic modifications are present as well- the 'chin pad' is gone in favor of a smooth tank. The engine paint is satin black, the fairing (if present) mounts further ahead on a different 'gooseneck' mount. Gauges are now ITT brand. This interesting trivia from the V11 board:
"I would like to add a note about the speedo on the 02 - 03 V11 Naked. This may or may not be common knowledge. The original and replacement speedos on my bike did exactly the same. The bottom line is that the speedo indicates in MPH, the trip-odometer registers in miles but the odometer registers in 2KM increments. If you don't believe me and have one of these bikes, pull off and stop when the odometer just finishes turning to a new number and set the trip to zero. Drive the bike until the odometer just turns an additional "10 miles". You will find that the trip reads just over 12.4 miles or exactly 20KM. "

All that said- Guzzi has been known to make 'parts bin' bikes out of whatever is left over. In that case, the bike may have parts from several year models. This can be frustrating, but it attests to the fact that most parts from one year will fit on other year models.

Decoding the VIN number (thanks to Todd Haven of MPH Cycles)
Z is for Italy
GU is for Guzzi
KRAKR designates 1100 spine frame 2000-2002(sport and Lemans)
9th digit is undefined
10th digit is model year(nor production)
W-98, X=99,Y=2000,1=2001,2=2002
11-16th digits are identifying serial number for your specific bike.

Where should I buy my new (to me) Guzzi?
Won't hardly touch this except to say Guzzi's are seriously undervalued (IMHO). You can buy used Guzzi's for very little (in the US) right now. New Guzzi's are also pretty cheap. Just give some consideration as to where it will be serviced.

Common Modifications (all are well documented in the faq forum)
Vibration control
Seat
Bars
Exhaust
Intake
PCIII
a sigma (BC600) bicycle speedometer

Uncommon Modifications
Cliff J's, My16M new CPU
http://guzzi.daytona-it.com/
http://daytonasite.free.fr/

Common Problems (most of these are addressed in this faq section in great detail- this is just an overview)
Also, not all of these problems necessarily show up. Very few of them have shown up on my bike, and others have their own specific mix of issues. These are the ones that are most commonly reported.
Relays- just not an issue anymore- some of the early (99-02) models had relays that were overtaxed.
Grounding- Guzzi electrics are not the strongest so one needs to maximize all available power. Check grounds and use dielectric grease on every connector you can get to.
Tach fogs over- cured by drilling a small hole in the tach housing
Tach 'bounces'- caused by a bad ground. The tach is grounded through the mounting lugs, not by a dedicated ground. Add a ground wire to the tach (requires disassembly) to cure.
Speedometer bounces- common to every Guzzi I've ever ridden back to 1971 models. Sigh. The routing of the speedo cable puts a 'kink' in it. The best approach is to route the speedo cable so it has as smooth a run as possible. Additionally, on the early V11 there is an angle bracket that can work itself unthreaded and disgorge it's worm gear drive...usually at speed. As if that weren't enough- early Veglia speedo's and later ITT speedo's use DIFFERENT cables and these cables are NOT interchangeable. See 'bicycle speedometer' above. Both gauges are commonly optimistic (~10%) in their reading. The tach is also optimistic.
Clutch/sidestand switch- sometimes fail.
Transmission spring boss oversized (year specific) mostly only found on '02 model years. The oversize boss stresses and breaks a spring in the transmission, causing it to get stuck in first gear. A fix has been posted.
Flaking engine paint (year specific) 2002
Tank suck- not an issue for bikes built after '02, but on some early bikes, the evaporative emissions system didn't function properly and a vacuum would develop in the tank- sucking it in. The two possible fixes are easy- 1) make sure the breather valve is perfectly level, or 2) remove the rubber seal under the lid. If you do the latter, you may spill gas in the event of a tipover.
Vapor lock- there are some reports of developing vapor lock in bikes that have an external fuel pump ('99-02 models). Heroic measures of insulating the pump have been performed. The best thing is not to drive your bike while hot for 1 mile, stop, drive a mile, stop, etc. which allows the fuel system to get hot (it sets right above the engine)
Or, relax and wait 20-30 minutes for it to correct itself.
Rear brake 'groans'- it's dirty and needs to be cleaned. There's nothing wrong with it in all probability.
Vibration- especially problematic on new Guzzi's. Some bikes have a buzzy vibration that is unpleasant- it's mostly at specific rpm ranges (right around 3800 rpm on my bike). This fades with time and miles.
Oil return tube- the ~1/2" (1.25 cm) rubber tube that runs from the motor (just fore of the bell housing) to the frame is low grade rubber- eventually it degrades and starts leaking. It is a pain to replace, but Rich Maund has written an excellent tutorial on how to replace it with quality tubing.
Trouble shifting- clean, clean, clean and grease the shift lever, including the heim joints. Your ankle will thank you.
Body panel cracks- check to see if the tank rests on the sidepanels. If it does, shim up the tank with a washer at the rear mounting point.
Electric fuel petcock- wires are epoxied into the base of the electric valve and can break from vibration. The fix is to replace with a manual petcock.

Not so common Problems
These have been reported, but only by very few people.
Clutch grenading- only reported on single plate clutches (Rosso Mandello, Scura). Not sure how much of a problem this really is. It is the topic of a long thread.
Soft valve guides- The rumor is that all big-block Guzzi's have soft guides which wear out quickly. If you're worried, keep an eye on oil consumption and engine compression.
Cracked transmission- Only heard of this twice so it's pretty rare
Cracked oil cooling mounts- early ('00) mounts were soft aluminum and prone to cracking with vibration. Should be replaced with later steel versions
Ignition mounting bolts- are 'security bolts' although not very secure. Some fall out. The suggested fix is replace them with allen head bolts and bit of locktite.

nudemetalz
27th November 2006, 11:26
WOW !!!!!!

That info is brilliant, thanks so much !!

dangerous
27th November 2006, 17:03
If ya want Ill check it out for ya, havnt been to that place for a lok as yet.

OK, couldnt help my self and went anyway... now, well ok Lemans has already been there done that but heres my thoughts.

very tidy for the age etc, started 'very' well and even idled :shit:
The bike has stock cans but do have a nice rumble however a set of neptunes would be mint.
The pod filters are loud, having said that even with a std air box you will always here a guzzi sucking... but this beast 'really' sucked man what a SWEET sound.

The bike is missing a badge off the rear set frame but the guy said he has one there.

I am unsure if a test ride on a V11 up your way would be the right thing to do, unless you can get the bike for a hole day, honestly at 1st you may think WTF... but mate once you come to grips with it, its in ya blood. :scooter:

I dont have the time to read that esay LeM's posted maybe later.

R1madness
27th November 2006, 17:35
Do yourself a favour...

Do a bit of research and take one for a test ride first...

Ask questions here - http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?act=home

They are a friendly bunch. I would think long and hard about that bike - Pod filters on a V11? Nah... K&N in the stock airbox maybe...

Cheers

Hi Paul. Have you been in to see the bike?????? or ridden it???? NO????? Then perhaps you should come in for a look before condemming it. Yes it does have pod filters on it. It sounds great and runs perfectly.

laRIKin
27th November 2006, 17:45
As said "Guzzi's are acquired taste".
But once the bug has bitten you are a Guzzi nut for ever more.

I really liked the bike (V11) as I was thinking about it for myself.
It is a nice bike to ride and turns brakes and sounds nice and has some poke as well.
The bike is sound it just needs a bit of TLC to bring it up to what it should be or what it once was.
Just minor stuff.

Before you ask.
I am looking for a new bike for me, but shouldn't as we have four already. (2 each on and off road)
I should also be spending some money on the house etc.
But after having up to three M/G's at the same time and after 14 years with my main Guzzi.
I want a change of bike and brand. (maybe)
I will keep the two I have (at least 1) for life (I think) I just want a newer different type of bike for a change.
I use to change my bikes every year or two, so to keep a bike for 14 years is saying something.

I could buy this bike and be very happy with it.

R1madness
27th November 2006, 17:54
Here are some pics for you to look at. This is the bike in question

Paul in NZ
27th November 2006, 18:34
Hi Paul. Have you been in to see the bike?????? or ridden it???? NO????? Then perhaps you should come in for a look before condemming it. Yes it does have pod filters on it. It sounds great and runs perfectly.

Condemming it? When did I condem it FFS??? Lighten up and pull ya head in.... The guy is asking for advice from people that own the things and personally I would be checking any mod like that has been done properly.

It's not standard and it will affect its future resale value and frankly it's hard enough to sell a stock V11 at the moment. In MY opinion this is not a great mod for spine frame Guzzis and in particular FI Guzzis. Your opinion may differ but then I don't stand to gain from any sale do I? I guess as the party selling it your opinion will differ to a potential buyers but I'm hardly condeming it???

Buyer beware but really I couldn't give a fat rats arse what you think of me - I would not modify a V11 like that.... If you want to get into a TECHNICAL discussion as to why not - tell me why you think it's a good idea? Of course red repping me and calling me a loser for dissing your bike is so mature...... Hope you did the same for dangerous when he expressed exactly the same sentiments?

nudemetalz
27th November 2006, 18:38
Hi Ian (R1M),

Thanks for the chat today and your candidness about the V11 (as well as supplying the pics).

Doing some serious talking to the Mrs at present about how we would go about it.
I also have a person who is very keen on purchasing the '10 which makes life a lot easier.

I joined the V11 forum and found a wealth of info there, and Lemans's info was particularily helpful.

Be in touch again.

OK, couldnt help my self and went anyway... now, well ok Lemans has already been there done that but heres my thoughts.

very tidy for the age etc, started 'very' well and even idled :shit:
The bike has stock cans but do have a nice rumble however a set of neptunes would be mint.
The pod filters are loud, having said that even with a std air box you will always here a guzzi sucking... but this beast 'really' sucked man what a SWEET sound.

The bike is missing a badge off the rear set frame but the guy said he has one there.

I am unsure if a test ride on a V11 up your way would be the right thing to do, unless you can get the bike for a hole day, honestly at 1st you may think WTF... but mate once you come to grips with it, its in ya blood. :scooter:

I dont have the time to read that esay LeM's posted maybe later.

Thanks too, Dangerous. :)

Cheers
NDMz

nudemetalz
27th November 2006, 18:45
Forgot to ask,...do I get this "optional extra" with it ? :gob:

dangerous
27th November 2006, 18:47

OK... Im going to put 2 n 2 togeather here... are you Ian, the shop owner?

If so I came in and saw you today at lunch time... now what Paul says is VERY correct, sorry R1M but have you been involved with MG like myself and more so Paul???

I agree with Paul, injected MG with pod filters isn't a very good idea, why cos they run like a bag of shit and have been known to shit them selves through leanness.

I would not do this to any of my injected Guzzis... as even from the factory they do not run 100%, but with a little knowledge and after market chips etc and I might add with this V11 the whole ECU would need replacing to compensate.

Having said that... I was happy with the way the bike started and idled, I do not think that there would be any problems with this bike the wee nipper you swiped it from in Japan... must of known his shit.

Grantasaurus
27th November 2006, 18:54
Damn, those 1100i s look horny....

You guys are horrible making a poor engineering student salivate over something he can't have for quite a while.

nudemetalz
27th November 2006, 18:57
Damn, those 1100i s look horny....

You guys are horrible making a poor engineering student salivate over something he can't have for quite a while.

And doesn't the Playboy model just complete it....oh man,..where's the Missus ?????:devil2:

dangerous
27th November 2006, 19:02
Forgot to ask,...do I get this "optional extra" with it ? :gob:

would that be the factory Termagoni cans? no... ohhhhhhhhhhh :shit:

nudemetalz
27th November 2006, 19:07
would that be the factory Termagoni cans? no... ohhhhhhhhhhh :shit:

Errrrr....yeah....that's it.......:innocent:

Grantasaurus
27th November 2006, 19:10
And doesn't the Playboy model just complete it....oh man,..where's the Missus ?????:devil2:

It'd be better if she were a raven haired Italian beauty, was wearing a tiny skirt, and the photo was from the back of the bike :D

I'm kinda feeling good that my ex broke up with me (now, wasn't feeling so hot a month ago), now I can find a chick who digs bikes..... then get her to sit on it and let me take photos of her in revealing outfits.

Ah, the mischief of it all.

dangerous
27th November 2006, 19:26
I'm very tempted at present, to the point of considering flying down to see it.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=76264381&key=497285

Have you seen this http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=1689243&TabID=3553&Alias=motorcycletradernz It may have more K's on it but that means SFA, MG will do 200,000k on a bore... no worries.
This bike is a newer bike and has factory up grades, and side covers

98tls
27th November 2006, 19:32
Going back to the pics in the first post....some are very nice the others do nothing for me but hey thats motorcycling.........i find Guzzis a lot like early Ducs....as an bevel drive ss is the nicest so to me is a mk1 lemans......absolutly gorgeous......one of the nicest looking motorcycles ever built...imho.

nudemetalz
27th November 2006, 19:49
Have you seen this http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=1689243&TabID=3553&Alias=motorcycletradernz It may have more K's on it but that means SFA, MG will do 200,000k on a bore... no worries.
This bike is a newer bike and has factory up grades, and side covers

Yeah saw that, getting a bit out of my $$$ range unfort.

Paul in NZ
27th November 2006, 20:11
Going back to the pics in the first post....some are very nice the others do nothing for me but hey thats motorcycling.........i find Guzzis a lot like early Ducs....as an bevel drive ss is the nicest so to me is a mk1 lemans......absolutly gorgeous......one of the nicest looking motorcycles ever built...imho.

V7 Sport, 750S or S3 Luverly.....

There is a maybe Mk1 on trademe at the moment - looks the real deal but always hard to say for sure - does it matter? I suppose so now that they are 'collectable' (sigh)

98tls
27th November 2006, 20:27
Real or not.....would still love to put it in the garage,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

nudemetalz
27th November 2006, 21:01
Yes she's a beautiful machine that one,.

Ghost_Bullet
27th November 2006, 21:30
Yeah saw that, getting a bit out of my $$$ range unfort.

That V11 has been on the market for a while, maybe posible to neg or beg 1 or 2k off the price uh... ???? Ya can only try!!!!!!
Must say the bike with the chick kinda on board is hot... or do I mean the chick that is on the bike is hot??? :shit: I am confused...

nudemetalz
28th November 2006, 07:14
Might have a word with Crasher about that one then.
Can't hurt, and I do agree with it looking awesome.

laRIKin
28th November 2006, 10:04
I have ridden that V11 and it goes real well.....

I found that it rode real well and like all bikes that I have ridden with fuel injection does come on a bit hash off the idle when going a round a corner.
But you learn to ride around that hiccup.

I rode the bike for about 1 1/2 to 2 hr's and it run great apart from the off the idle hiccup, which I could ride around.

now what Paul says is VERY correct, sorry R1M but have you been involved with MG like myself and more so Paul???

I agree with Paul, injected MG with pod filters isn't a very good idea, why cos they run like a bag of shit and have been known to shit them selves through leanness.

I would not do this to any of my injected Guzzis... as even from the factory they do not run 100%, but with a little knowledge and after market chips etc and I might add with this V11 the whole ECU would need replacing to compensate.

Having said that... I was happy with the way the bike started and idled, I do not think that there would be any problems with this bike the wee nipper you swiped it from in Japan... must of known his shit.

I'm very sorry D, but I have to disagree with you on the pod filters as I have never heard that they are a bad thing and coursing bike's to as you said shit them self's.
Some Guzzi's did shit them self's on the right barrel and one one knows why.
Lloyds did and after they changed the barrel and piston it never did it again.

Some people like pod filters and others do not, but have not heard of a mechanical reason not to use them apart for the extra weight on the intake manifold that can maybe cause cracking or that the filters can sag and cause a blockage and run rich.
I would love to read up more so could post a link so I can read up and can be corrected.
As I have not completely ruled out buying this bike for my self.

This a link to a discussion on opening up the air box lid or using pod filters.
http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=918&st=15

http://morini.com.au/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1979&highlight=pod+filters

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=1719.0

The moment you change the amount of air going into or out of a motor you may have to change the jetting or injection levels by mapping or changing a chip.

Whether that is a different exhaust pipe opening up the original exhaust pipe, changing to a pod filter or different filter material or opening up the air box.

The way I looked at it is, at the price of the bike you can buy side covers and air box later off a crashed bike if you want to, as they are unlikely to be damaged in a crash.

nudemetalz
28th November 2006, 10:34
Interesting stuff, LM.
I'm checking the links out too.

What I would like to do is check the V11 out for myself and also check out the WMCC one.
I have made up my mind that's what I want, whether it's either of those is another thing.
There does not seem to be an abundance of V11's in NZ for sale.

Paul in NZ
28th November 2006, 10:41
I rode the bike for about 1 1/2 to 2 hr's and it run great apart from the off the idle hiccup, which I could ride around.

I'm very sorry D, but I have to disagree with you on the pod filters as I have never heard that they are a bad thing and coursing bike's to as you said shit them self's.

Yup - but you know your way around a Guzzi and are unlikely to have much problem with one. My comment that I was red repped for was to be careful and to do the research because putting pod filters onto a V11 is not as simple as putting the pods onto my Mk2.

The air box has an air sensor and terminates a breather (from memory). What has the previous owner done with them? If I read the forums correctly - some of the guys are using pod 'kits' that answer some of those questions and the ones that have a good result are also running a PC3 or modified software to compensate for the pods. I'd have exactly the same reservations if someone stuck on a set of slipons or a cross over without a proper FI set up being done. If there is documented evidence that it's been done correctly - it's just a matter of taste.

There is a temp sensor as well which can produce terrible gas mileage if interfered with. The question is - has this mod been done properly or will it cause problems - it's a fair question because I have seen people block off breather tubes and rip out sensors because they didn't understand what the function of these devices - that can lead to some bad things happening. Guzzis are pretty reliable and will soldier on with all sorts for mal adjustment - for a while anyway.

What would concern me most of all - apart from any resale value issues - would be why has the PO fitted pods without a better flowing exhaust? A better cross over and cans fitted with the pods and the FI remapped to suit could be a very good thing indeed but perhaps someone just took a cheap 'cosmetic' approach and lucked out?

The people I know that have backed up their mods with statistical testing tend to run a modified air box with exhaust mods and PC3 or updated map as a base.

I can't see what the fuss is - the importer is in ChCh. All it needs is to go to Eric Woods and whack it on the axion (sp?) tool to check the balance and mixture is OK and ride with confidence. I merely suggested that he goes into it with his eyes open - much as you would do with any modified bike.

Having said that - a traditional Guzzi owner knows there are no standard bikes - they are all modified over time (and then restored when they get old) and my own bike has plenty of non standard features. Point is - this guy is new to Guzzi and asked what to look out for on a particular bike - I think he is aware of any issues now though!!!! :innocent:

Of well - I guess we all get passionate about Moto Guzzi

Paul in NZ
28th November 2006, 10:43
Interesting stuff, LM.
I'm checking the links out too.

What I would like to do is check the V11 out for myself and also check out the WMCC one.
I have made up my mind that's what I want, whether it's either of those is another thing.

This week - Guzzis are rare but they do come up for sale regularly. The closest dealer is in Masterton and bound to know of one for sale. There is always a lack of choice at this time of the year in all bikes.. apparently it's summer :mellow:

nudemetalz
28th November 2006, 10:56
You're quite right,...I am new to Guzzi's and I have so far, appreciated all of the advice (conflicting or not) as well as the helpful links supplied.

I'm at an age now where top-speed is totally irrelevant nowdays but an occasional good hustle through a corner is required :).
The flair of the Guzzi's and (apparent) idiosyncracies also really appeal to me, a bike with character.
Plus I plan to do a lot of open road miles.

So thanks to all for the help given and apologies if it turned a little hot.
I guess Guzzi owners are more passionate than I realised !!

Paul in NZ
28th November 2006, 13:35
You're quite right,...I am new to Guzzi's and I have so far, appreciated all of the advice (conflicting or not) as well as the helpful links supplied.

I'm at an age now where top-speed is totally irrelevant nowdays but an occasional good hustle through a corner is required :).
The flair of the Guzzi's and (apparent) idiosyncracies also really appeal to me, a bike with character.

The Guzzi riders didn't get tichy with each other - we discussed it rationally and agree to disagree like the true gents we are.... I'm about to embark on a freshen up on the dread Mk2 soon so you can come up and poke oily bits with a screw driver and find out why they are so bloody neat to work on too... Only a couple of really tricky jobs the rest is a handfull of spanners and allen keys and aways ya go...

R1madness
28th November 2006, 15:50
Paul. The reason i red reped you was you haven't even been in to look at the bike but are full of "opinions". How about you come in for a look, Take it for a ride (bring your licence), check it over, kick the tyres, feel free to take it to Eric Woods and get them to check it over. and THEN express your "informed opinion".

I see no need to red rep Dangerous because he did exactly that. Hey Dangerous come back and take it for a ride.

By the way, i recommend every to customer that they take a bit of time to consider the bike they are interested in. I will hold a bike for 48hours with a refundable $20 deposit so they have pleanty of time without having to worry about missing out on a good buy. They are never pressured and can come and have as many rides as they like to.

R1madness
28th November 2006, 16:14
OK... Im going to put 2 n 2 togeather here... are you Ian, the shop owner?

If so I came in and saw you today at lunch time... now what Paul says is VERY correct, sorry R1M but have you been involved with MG like myself and more so Paul???

Hi Dangerious. Yes i am the shop owner. Ian is my name. I have lots o experiance with MG. Having worked for both the "OFFICIAL MG importer" and the "unofficial MG importer" in the past, as well as more than 20 years experiance on several other brands of bike including Harley Davidson where i was workshop foreman, Honda, Yamaha (7 years racing), Suzuki (5 years mechanicing for Anderw Stroud), Kawasaki (4 years racing), Ducati and Laverda.
Never really had a guzzi of my own but several of my mates have so i think i have worked on and ridden enough to know what they are about.
Thanks for asking tho.
All our biikes are backed up with a 90 day warrentee so if its not right i will make it right.
Cheers all.

Paul in NZ
28th November 2006, 16:14
Paul. The reason i red reped you was you haven't even been in to look at the bike but are full of "opinions". How about you come in for a look, Take it for a ride (bring your licence), check it over, kick the tyres, feel free to take it to Eric Woods and get them to check it over. and THEN express your "informed opinion".

I live in Wellington. You offering to pay the airfair? Similar for the prospective purchaser - shouldn't he be aware of any 'potential' issues before he spends his cash and gets on a plane. Given he knows nothing about Moto Guzzis and there is no official dealer in Wellington he is going to be fixing it and maintaining it himself. He asked for peoples opinions - I gave it - whats your problem with that??

Read my post without your angry goggles on - I actually encouraged him to ride it BUT to be aware it has been modified (which he may not have known at that stage) and in my opinion (and only an opinion - ONE opinion) not in a way I would personally do it (for the reasons stated). Having an opinion different to yours does not make me a 'loser'. However - you have not offered any technical reason why it's a good modification either (as some have)....

Your call - red rep away to your hearts content mate. You could have discussed it openly but you didn't - and thats leading me to form other of my dangerous 'opinions'. I'll keep that one to myself

R1madness
28th November 2006, 16:35
He knew about the mods. It was the first thing i told him about when he phoned me. I rated the bike as 7.5 out of 10 because of the mods. The bike is very low k and i believe it is priced low enough (given the prices i have seen other V11s advertised for) at $11,000 to allow any purchaser to refit a std air box and side covers if they want to.
I never said it was a good mod or a bad one. Just pointed out that it had been done is all. It sounds great and runs nice. What more to say?
Thanks

dangerous
28th November 2006, 17:48

The Guzzi of all shapes and sizes can and will boggie in the corners... then they can give you the best cruz on the open road ya ever had, hell just a few weeks back a bet was put on that a R1 would beat me to Akaroa... well he dident The v11 cleaned up on a VTR, R1 & new GSXR750. :Punk: (ps: I was pushing my luck tho. dont want a repeat of that)

idiosyncracies and character they have, and passionate we are.

Having said that - a traditional Guzzi owner knows there are no standard bikes - they are all modified over time

Yip and the pod thing has alwas been at the lemans roots, hardly a MG out ther with out them... but then theres the inj bikes... not so many converted, Id say the reason this bike was done was for a athentic Guzzi look, just like the old days.

A) I'm very sorry D, but I have to disagree with you on the pod filters as I have never heard that they are a bad thing and coursing bike's to as you said shit them self's.
Some Guzzi's did shit them self's on the right barrel and one one knows why.
Lloyds did and after they changed the barrel and piston it never did it again.

B) Some people like pod filters and others do not, but have not heard of a mechanical reason not to use them apart for the extra weight on the intake manifold that can maybe cause cracking or that the filters can sag and cause a blockage and run rich.

C) The moment you change the amount of air going into or out of a motor you may have to change the jetting or injection levels by mapping or changing a chip.

D) The way I looked at it is, at the price of the bike

a&b) dont be sorry, You know a shit load about the carbed Guzzi, more than I will ever know... but my fortay is the injected Guzzi.
It is well knowen amongest the inj MG berthren that they do not run well on pods... UNLESS the engine has been well tuned to suit, and I'd say this bike has been.
The inj bike (older they are the worse they were) runs like a bag of shit from the factory, hell even my 05 V11 has a very bad miss at 2800rpm... but thats MG for ya, there are after market chips (older bikes) and replacement ECUs availble which will have the bike running sweet, but most guys I know end up chasing there tails for years trying to sort it and often never do if using pods.

As far as bikes shitting them selves go, I'm talking from the simple ECU packing a wobley and over fueling the bike till it shuts down to0 burnt out valves... the seizeing thing was something out of caractor for a certian modle and was knowen to happen on stock bikes.

c) correct, but MG injection is basic and often wont respond too well to being ultered, unlike a 38mm fuck off carb that can be well tuned but even you know different temps/altatudes can often put them out of wack again.

d) As for the price, IMO its not the bargan of the year I'd pay no more for it... how ever it is rather hard to find a MG at that price, they just seem to hold there price so well.

NOW from what I have said above comes from 1st hand experance from bikes like my own, Brian Mears, that old fella with the munted let and others... and FWIW I paid 17k for a brand new v11... and a rather rear one at that

dangerous
28th November 2006, 18:00
Paul:
You did nor said anything wrong, the forum is here to give our opions, thats all you did, as I did and R1M... hell if we never said what we thought we wouldnt have a forum.

R1Mad:
Your responce was OTT but then again Paul didnt need to fire up quit so quick, I however do know why he did... I think you reminded him of some lesser liked members.
Also your posts since have been good, more like a guy in your position should behave, now... you may want to take back your offer for me to ride the v11, you cant have heard the storys... :shutup: I had the demo Griso for a weekend, returned it with a much lighter side stand and in need of some new tyres (I picked it up with 52k on it) however I know that that that sorta treatment will not harm a Guzzi, and thats why I think your V11 will be fine, but as with a stock bike the new owner may find on going tuning problems, but hey thats Guzzi :love:

laRIKin
28th November 2006, 18:31

You really do have check them out for your self, after all it's going to be your bike and it's your money.
I have walked away from some good bike's over the years, just because it did not feel right or something felt fishy.
And have taken some for the opposite reason. ESP?

And Guzzi are a funny thing, you sell them in 6 months or you still have them in 6 years.
It has taken 14 years for me to move on to a new road bike.

Best of luck and hope that YOU are happy with YOUR choice.

Rik

Paul in NZ
28th November 2006, 18:44
He knew about the mods. It was the first thing i told him about when he phoned me. I rated the bike as 7.5 out of 10 because of the mods. The bike is very low k and i believe it is priced low enough (given the prices i have seen other V11s advertised for) at $11,000 to allow any purchaser to refit a std air box and side covers if they want to.
I never said it was a good mod or a bad one. Just pointed out that it had been done is all. It sounds great and runs nice. What more to say?
Thanks

Well dangerous reckons I fired up a bit quick and frankly I'd trust his judgement in the matter but... (takes a deep breath) hang on a moment... I didn't start it or calling me a loser for 'condemming' a bike???? I think thats a pretty long bow to draw...

Now - in the post above, you yourself admit that the bike IS modified and that modification has affected it's resale value and thus you priced it accordingly. If you felt the need to mention it - whats the problem with me pointing out exactly the same issue to a buyer that asked my opinion and lives locally to me??? I'm confused?? Tell me where I acted like a loser and where I condemed the bike. Right from the start I encouraged him into a Guzzi and to ride it - what is your problem with that?

As for coming to see it? I live in wellington - thats bloody ridiculous.....

Nah - sorry - I'm of the opinion I'm not going off the deep end here. Perhaps others think otherwise but - I do accept I have a deep seated personality disorder - but loser? Good lord - and I'm going off a bit quick???

edit

of couse the GREAT thing about making an arse of yourself in a Guzzi thread is no one else on KB sees it...

Ghost_Bullet
28th November 2006, 19:48
As well as being entertained:Punk: , I myself am learning a bit to... being a Guzzi owner for a mere 5yrs'ish.

:Pokey: Nothin like some varied opinions... makes us all human...

dangerous
29th November 2006, 05:39
Well dangerous reckons I fired up a bit quick and frankly I'd trust his judgement in the matter but... (takes a deep breath) hang on a moment... I didn't start it or calling me a loser for 'condemming' a bike???? I think thats a pretty long bow to draw...

of couse the GREAT thing about making an arse of yourself in a Guzzi thread is no one else on KB sees it...

LMFAO, every one reads a MG thread Paul... they are just to gutless to post on one :shit:

Now fireing up a bit quick isnt a bad thing, well it cant be cos Im a shocker at it... I just didnt expect it from you, but I woulda done the same (maybe swore a bit more tho) As far as being a loser... that was a jack arsed comment for R1M to say... fuck man pot n kettle in all that he has no idea who, what, were you are... looser is the VERY LAST thing you could possible be... it was a real wankie comment, just defending his shop i guess (plus I think he may have short arse syndrome) :dodge:

Una Storia Italiana

Moto Guzzi

R1madness
29th November 2006, 08:49
Its a reputation thing. I will put my rep as a mechanic and shop owner against anyones. Yea i am short, no i dont care, my feet reach the ground (except on a KTM990 or Triumph Tiger)

Like i said the guy knew all about the little faults. (all 3 of them).

Yea maybe i was a bit harsh but whatever, at least i did my name calling in private. I expected him to reply with a bad rep. As for reminding him of lesser liked members......... well........... thats ok. Not everyone likes everyone.

As for the offer for Paul in NZ to ride, well if he put where he was from in his profile from i would have know he was from Wellington. Still if he is ever here in Chch he is welcome to call in. I thought he must be in CHCH since he knew who/where the Guzzi shop was. Oh yea Eric Woods is no longer the Guzzi Dealer by the way.
Dangerous, the offer to ride it is there for you to take. I will fit it up on a set of pirelli dragon super corsa pros if you want.

nudemetalz
29th November 2006, 09:02
Thats me (the guy), and rightfully so, R1M did tell me of the blemishes so kudos to him, although I have since heard about the forkseal and sawn off rear guard.

Anyway, I went to WMCC and talked to Crasherfromwayback about their gorgeous burgundy 2002 V11.
I heard it running and it sounded great, original pipes so very quiet, a bit of clutch noise when you pull in the lever (which I believe is standard).

What I couldn't get over was I was waiting for this clunk when I put it into 1st and it didn't happen !!! Very smooth and quiet.
Anyway, it's worth considering at present, and I know the Missus likes it (she wants to ride it too !!).

NDMz

Dazza
29th November 2006, 10:10
[QUOTE=nudemetalz;840811]
I heard it running and it sounded great, original pipes so very quiet, a bit of clutch noise when you pull in the lever (which I believe is standard).
QUOTE]
Thats the noise of the dryclutch, you reckon that's noisey, stand next to a late model Ducati with a dry thrust bearing :sick:

R1madness
29th November 2006, 10:57
Thats me (the guy), and rightfully so, R1M did tell me of the blemishes so kudos to him, although I have since heard about the forkseal and sawn off rear guard.
NDMz

Hi nudemetalz. I was sure i said about the fork seal but i would be fixed anyway before any purchaser collected the bike. The rear guard has NOT been sawed off. It is still attatched. Not sure who said it had been but it hasn't.

The clutch noise on the one up your way would definitly be normal. Dry clutches always have a scuffing/rattleing noise when activated.
Have a nice one. If you want more pics i can post them here or email ya.
Cheers
Ian

nudemetalz
29th November 2006, 12:13
Hey Ian,
Forkseals tend to leak when bikes sit around for a while, I've had to repair so many of them over the years !! Glad to hear you would repair it.

A test-ride is not that simple, based on the fact I'm in Welly, but I am keen.
I'd like to ride the WMCC one as well, so I have a yardstick ( I believe always important) to compare.

I'll talk more to my esteemed leader.

Cheers,
Chris

R1madness
29th November 2006, 13:16
Good as Chris. Yep i understand about the distance thing. If you are keen to test ride it you can have the bike for a whole day to blast around on. Yes i recommend you take the one in Welly for a ride too.
Cheers
Ian
Send Dangerous back in for a ride. He has nothing to gain (or lose) by reporting it as he finds it.

nudemetalz
29th November 2006, 13:27
Thanks for the offer, Ian. :)

dangerous
29th November 2006, 17:57
although I have since heard about the forkseal and sawn off rear guard.

Anyway, I went to WMCC and talked to Crasherfromwayback about their gorgeous burgundy 2002 V11.

What I couldn't get over was I was waiting for this clunk when I put it into 1st and it didn't happen !!! Very smooth and quiet.

Opps My comment re: rear guards wasnt aimed at the Chch V11... its guard is just fine n dandy, sorry I was refering to the boof heads that think pods and choped rear guards looks cool/tuff/ohh look at my big fat tyre.

Remember the MG clutch is a "dry" clutch, its ment to rattle... its a good thing.
The 6 speed box of MG is a very sweet box, and very realy has fulse neutrals.
Standard cans and filter and all you will hear is the rush of air being sucked into the injectors... ohhh its great :Punk:

PS: Ian DID tell me the fork seal will be replaced, he just hasent had the time to do it as yet.

dangerous
29th November 2006, 18:34
LMFAO, we seem to have diverterd from the origional topic, so if I may steel a moment of ya's time...

Did ya know the pipe on the original Griso has a weight of around 8.5kg.
I wonder what this new designed one weighs, it does not look any smaller.

3 options below, do seach about and the list is long.

GB, forget ya missus sewing thing, get a load a these we puppies :gob:

Ghost_Bullet
29th November 2006, 20:05
LMFAO, we seem to have diverterd from the origional topic, so if I may steel a moment of ya's time...

GB, forget ya missus sewing thing, get a load a these we puppies :gob:

Ha ha ha , I am not sure my life would be worth living, to be honest she is way to understanding, as long as I have good argument for somthing then I can go get.... but it's give and take, and I have taken a bit getting a brand new bike to start with.
They are a fine set of pipes.
mmmmmmmmm I will keep my eye out and see what is developed in the coming 12mnths I think.

Guzzi's sure arn't purfect, but ya can't hate them for it... gave me Grizz a clean today, and noted oil on the fins or the right hand cyclindar. and when I got the wheel off last week, I noticed some final drive fluid in the housing, maybe a small leak.... Oh well I will get thm checked in due course...

I had the odd drama with the ole Nevada, some of which I had vowed I would never touch a guzzi again.... I do not know what the grizz did to my vow. I would say that right at this time, that I have no desire for another make. Then again a dirt bike would make a great addition to the garage.

One thing that gets me is the number of bike shops about these daya in Chch, or maybe I was blind before.... I am going to have to take a tour about for a looksie.:scooter:

nudemetalz
29th November 2006, 21:32

1000 apologies for that Ghost_Bullet, it may have been my fault......:innocent:

...and to make up for it....here's a movie with the sound of those very same Griso accessory pipes...sounds wicked !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH4F3ksTcZs&mode=related&search=

Ghost_Bullet
29th November 2006, 22:31
1000 apologies for that Ghost_Bullet, it may have been my fault......:innocent:

...and to make up for it....here's a movie with the sound of those very same Griso accessory pipes...sounds wicked !!

Take the apologies back, no offence... ha ha realy the past few pages of posts have been hugely informative, a reality check of a machine that is closer to human than most bikes around... no body is perfect, and hence from this disscussion obviously most would aggree that no Guzzi is purfect either... so what a purfect match.:hug:

And to the bantering has been bloody entertaining as well.:Punk:

Looking forward hearing what bike you end up getting home. if it is a guzzi or not.

dangerous
30th November 2006, 05:40

Hey, were did you get that from? same place as me Guzzi Exchange???

nudemetalz
30th November 2006, 07:42
Nope, just a casual search on Youtube ;)

Ghost_Bullet
30th November 2006, 09:46
Very Bizzare, 2007 could see no Griso 1200 8V, all evidence of such a bike is all gone from the Guzzi.it site.
Only bikes left are the orange Griso, 940 Custom and the introduction of the 850 Griso and Breva. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Oh and there might be a Norge 850.

Ghost_Bullet
30th November 2006, 18:28
The new Griso 850, only different with a change in engine colour and the missing oil cooler....

And then the difference between the 1928 Norge to the 2006/7 Norge... no diff what so ever??? If given the choice... I would be sure to choose the 1928 model

nudemetalz
30th November 2006, 20:24
Was the 1200 8V a one-off concept machine to gauge public interest?

dangerous
1st December 2006, 05:41
Was the 1200 8V a one-off concept machine to gauge public interest?

Well thats what the Griso and MGS were 6 years ago, interest came in so they built em... so heres hopeing.

laRIKin
2nd December 2006, 20:22
A test-ride is not that simple, based on the fact I'm in Welly, but I am keen.

Well I have to put you out of your misery with the Guzz in CH.Ch.
SDU and went back to look at a Duck and the Guzz again.
Well SDU took the V11 for a ride and came back with a wide smile and said "if you do not buy it, I will".
Well I'm not to sure where she was going to get the money from?:shutup:

So after some talking I took it out again and while I was gearing up another couple came to look and test ride ride it.
SDU told me that I better make my mind up now or it maybe sold to them if I do not buy it now.

Well the pic says it all.

Paul in NZ
2nd December 2006, 20:34
Well done - enjoy....

Ghost_Bullet
2nd December 2006, 23:01
Well the pic says it all.

That pic is almost x-rated... bloody good work, lemans boy, so who will be the proudest of the two of ya's to ride the machine, or will it be a shared effort?
I have had the pic that nude metal boy posted sometime ago with the lovely lady kinda not sitting on a v11 as my wallpaper for the past week... and I realy like it.... the guzzi that is....

Wonderful news...almost feel like sendin ya' a "New Baby, best wishes card"
All da best to ya both wit the new addition!!!!:Punk:

nudemetalz
3rd December 2006, 07:58
Totally agree, well done Lemans for the new acquisition.

One ride is all it takes to fall in love with the V11 (well, by my reckoning).

It was just too difficult for me to try to get to ChCh to test ride it and it sounds like the V11 has gone to a good, no, great home :)

laRIKin
3rd December 2006, 08:05
Well done - enjoy....

Thank you and I will

That pic is almost x-rated... bloody good work, lemans boy, so who will be the proudest of the two of ya's to ride the machine, or will it be a shared effort?

I think it will be down to who gets to the keys first.

Wonderful news...almost feel like sendin ya' a "New Baby, best wishes card"
All da best to ya both wit the new addition!!!!:Punk:

Thank you also and it does feel a bit like a new baby in the house thing.

Now do I keep all the bikes or sell one. (MKIV)
Put it this way, I will not be giving one away, they are all my/our baby's.

nudemetalz
3rd December 2006, 08:05
....oh yes...I still have THAT wallpaper on my PC.
Even the Missus didn't mind,...well not too much, 'cause I said when I buy one I want her to pose the same....sheez my black-eye is sore !!!!

Paul in NZ
3rd December 2006, 09:56
Now do I keep all the bikes or sell one. (MKIV)
Put it this way, I will not be giving one away, they are all my/our baby's.

Keep it I reckon - MkIV's are struggling to sell at decent prices at the moment if trademe is anything to go by...

Cheers

laRIKin
3rd December 2006, 16:06
MkIV's are struggling to sell at decent prices at the moment if trademe is anything to go by...

It's hard to say what I would get.
A mate of mine just got under 8 thousand for his low K'ed MKIV.
And there is another one that no one will bid on at 6 thousand.
But in saying that mine is a 87 MKIV special edition with a 18" front wheel etc.
That they only made for one year it's the same as Tony's in Wellington that you know, but he has the 16' front wheel for some reason.

And that's why I would like to keep it as, it maybe worth something to someone one day who knows about the difference's it has to the normal MKIV.

Paul in NZ
3rd December 2006, 16:43
But in saying that mine is a 87 MKIV special edition with a 18" front wheel etc.
That they only made for one year it's the same as Tony's in Wellington that you know, but he has the 16' front wheel for some reason.

And that's why I would like to keep it as, it maybe worth something to someone one day who knows about the difference's it has to the normal MKIV.

Yeah - ya just have to be selling when someone is really wanting one. $8K is a decent price at the moment but you would think any big block Guzzi would make $6k?? Odd world..

Ghost_Bullet
12th December 2006, 18:49
The guys at Guzzi have just released some accessories for the Griso... they will make a hole in your pocket though, looking at approx prices sourced from Italy excluding freight would have you out of pocket by at least $NZ1200.00

I almost would but I won't, the deal of this sewing machine for her and bike for him is going to haunt me... she is still waiting fer her end of that bargin... :gob:

<br>CARBON FRONT MUDGUARD</b>
<br>CARBON HEAT PROTECTOR</b>
<br>CARBON STARTER COVER</b>
<br>CARBON DASHBOARD COVER</b>

nudemetalz
12th December 2006, 19:53
Nice c/f stuff !!!

I say go for it !!!

I thought my dashboard was a carbon look a like but looked underneath and it's the real-deal !!

dangerous
12th December 2006, 20:51
I thought my dashboard was a carbon look a like but looked underneath and it's the real-deal !!

MG dont do look a like its the real shit mate my bike came with CF parts on it std, like the front guard... but I seemed to have diped out on the dash... wana swap

nudemetalz
12th December 2006, 20:55
MG dont do look a like its the real shit mate my bike came with CF parts on it std, like the front guard... but I seemed to have diped out on the dash... wana swap

ahhhh,...nahp !!!!

laRIKin
15th December 2006, 17:19
Here is a nice looking Griso for you Ghost_Bullet

Bonez
15th December 2006, 18:11
That they only made for one year it's the same as Tony's in Wellington that you know, but he has the 16' front wheel for some reason..They originally came with 16" front wheels, the "fad" at the time. 18' wheels on MkIVs where put on by owners who disliked this "fad". I test rode a MkIV with 18" wheel back in about 1992 when working in AirStaff and the owner had the original 16 incher to go with it.

nudemetalz
15th December 2006, 20:43

That is one hot looking Griso !!

laRIKin
16th December 2006, 08:06
They originally came with 16" front wheels, the "fad" at the time. 18' wheels on MkIVs where put on by owners who disliked this "fad". I test rode a MkIV with 18" wheel back in about 1992 when working in AirStaff and the owner had the original 16 incher to go with it.

Yes most MKIV's came with 16" front wheels and people did change the front wheel for a 18" one.

But in 1987 and for one year only, Moto Guzzi made a MKIV with a 18" front wheel as stock.
Some people like a friend Tony chose the 16" wheel.
These Special Edition MKIV's all so had a black painted engine and transmission, Bi-Turbo dampers in the forks and a close-ratio gear box.
Most came with a red seat and were painted red and white.
Some like mine a few others I have seen are painted Pearl and Graphite or if you prefer, black and white with a black seat.
Most of the bikes were damaged in a container when sea water got in on the way to the USA.
I have seen about 3 red and white ones and 3 and maybe 4 black and white one's.
These are a oddity that a lot of people do not know about.

If you see one of Mick Walkers books about Guzzi's, have a flick though and you can read up on them.
Because these bikes are not know-en about by most people is the reason I think that one day and that is maybe one they will be worth some thing.
And that is the reason I want to keep it.
I have seen overseas the odd wanted ad looking for one.
Mine should have a belly fairing on, I do have one for it but it is red and I do not like it on the bike.

Ghost_Bullet
16th December 2006, 08:13

Is that a photo shop? I do like it. the exaust would be good to see a bit more of it.

laRIKin
16th December 2006, 08:16
Is that a photo shop? I do like it. the exaust would be good to see a bit more of it.

Some say it is but some said it has been made.
I will have to look for the link again.
I will get back to you to night on that.

Ghost_Bullet
16th December 2006, 08:25
http://www.firestartergarage.it/ that web has some great stuff on it...interesting concepts. cannot find that griso image on it though....

Bonez
16th December 2006, 08:56
Yes most MKIV's came with 16" front wheels and people did change the front wheel for a 18" one.

But in 1987 and for one year only, Moto Guzzi made a MKIV with a 18" front wheel as stock.
Some people like a friend Tony chose the 16" wheel.
These Special Edition MKIV's all so had a black painted engine and transmission, Bi-Turbo dampers in the forks and a close-ratio gear box.
Most came with a red seat and were painted red and white.
Some like mine a few others I have seen are painted Pearl and Graphite or if you prefer, black and white with a black seat.
Most of the bikes were damaged in a container when sea water got in on the way to the USA.
I have seen about 3 red and white ones and 3 and maybe 4 black and white one's.
These are a oddity that a lot of people do not know about.

If you see one of Mick Walkers books about Guzzi's, have a flick though and you can read up on them.
Because these bikes are not know-en about by most people is the reason I think that one day and that is maybe one they will be worth some thing.
And that is the reason I want to keep it.
I have seen overseas the odd wanted ad looking for one.
Mine should have a belly fairing on, I do have one for it but it is red and I do not like it on the bike.Nice. The one I test road was peal white and red with a belly pan. Didn't look too closely to see if there was a damper though. Didn't get it as it felt so, well, lets say "different" less we offend some folk, to ride compared to my CB750 that I'd had for 8 years. Which I still own. The Guzzi had only done around 20,000kms IIRC. Experimented on getting a Euro bike at the time, test road lots. Every time I got back on Gerty I thought "ARRR that's better.:yes: Each to there own and all that. Tis nice the see theads that don't go on about how fast this and that squid bike goes. Well done guys.

Off topic- I just been told of th amount I'm allowed for a my crissy pressy-set of ace bars for the Cb550f and fork gaiters for the CX I feel.

laRIKin
16th December 2006, 17:46

I looked and looked and can not find any more info.
And in reading the posts again it is a photo shop, but they will make one if you want it.

http://www.firestartergarage.it/ that web has some great stuff on it...interesting concepts. cannot find that griso image on it though....

I have also been there and done that and you are right there are some nice bikes there that they have made and have photo shopped.

Ghost_Bullet
16th December 2006, 17:55
If I had a couple of spare $$ I would consider some pipe set on those lines... but alas, to justify hat would be mighty hard.

I wonder how long it will take before the Sport 1200 makes it onto our shores. I see it is for sale in the UK at least.

laRIKin
16th December 2006, 17:56
Tis nice the see theads that don't go on about how fast this and that squid bike goes. Well done guys.

Yes Guzzi are funny and good like that.
You ride a Guz, great.
And then they just ask what you ride and want to look at it and talk about it.
And that is what have you done to it, what you like and want to change and problems and try to help you, if they can or put you on to someone that can.
They do not really care what year it is etc.

Like a mate told me, he had a 6 month old (Jap) bike and guy told him, O you have the old slower model. :brick:

nudemetalz
16th December 2006, 19:01
On our side, we're slowly getting used to riding the V11.
And the Mrs says she's almost got the hang of matching the revs on the downchanges..:gob: I said far more important than most other bikes as the two 532cc pistons are trying to come to a near standstill when you throttle off and don't like to instaneously rev with no throttle :dodge:

laRIKin
16th December 2006, 21:15
Yep they are a funny old lumps of iron to ride all right.

But great fun to ride, when you get it right.

I found the other bikes I test rode boring and when I rode the V11 again I knew it was the bike for me, warts and all.

It's good to hear that you are having fun and are coming to grips with the Guzzi way of doing it.
It will just get better and better.

Ghost_Bullet
21st December 2006, 21:18
Here is a link to some pictures taken at the show..... http://pexi.mediterrum.com/photos/guzzi_at_eicma_2007/index.html

nudemetalz
22nd December 2006, 18:29
Some great pics there, pity they're not wallpaper size !!

Ghost_Bullet
20th January 2007, 07:36
http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/News/2008/2008_Moto_Guzzi.htm

Looks like Guzzi are at it again, with the likleyhood of seeing this machine on the road in the future....

dangerous
20th January 2007, 08:58

Looks like Guzzi are at it again, with the likleyhood of seeing this machine on the road in the future....

Nice, Moto Guzzi Motard... when I see it I'll believe it :rockon:

nudemetalz
20th January 2007, 09:15
Guess they have to keep up with the Jones's. The Adventure/Motard/nana-off road bikes seem to be en vogue at present.

Ghost_Bullet
20th January 2007, 09:39
Yeah I know's what's ya's mean, it is a bit tiring.
Just a bit of a waiting game.
I have ben thinking the past few days as to if/what bike I would consider next, (most likely Guzz though) ???

Hows the v11 Nude'z?

nudemetalz
20th January 2007, 11:34
The V11 is going great, thanks Ghostie.
Have to replace the rear tyre so got that sorted. Taking it down to ChCh for the Roger Waters concert next weekend, so looking forward to the good blat away.

Dodgyiti
21st January 2007, 00:13
The new 8v Griso is making me want one!
For no other reason than it's better than the 'standard' one :shit:

I still love the one I have, but the grass is always greener on the new model.
Now I have the light can and a few other little things (like it starting to run in) it would be silly go race out and get one. Never been known for being sensible about these things..

Nice thread explaining the Guzzi life.
Can I just add another quirk/bonus with buying a new one?
They take ages to run in, and even at the 10,000 to 15,000km mark they are still coming into their own. Which is nice, you notice from time to time that the grunt is getting better and better.
I thought this quirk would have vanished by the time the Griso/Breva '3rd generation Guzzis' rolled out. But no, even though they are almost modern bikes, they still have that odd trait.
Cool eh?

laRIKin
21st January 2007, 07:46
Yeah you are right Dodgyiti, they are funny old bike that takes age's to run in and no two are 100% a like.

And Ghost_Bullet I do not think that I will be buying one of the new ones you have shown. They are not to our taste, but time is a funny thing, they may grow on us.

Ghost_Bullet
21st January 2007, 15:55
This is going :Offtopic: rather, and a step back in time. And realy I dont care.
Anyways I was at that transport museum up at Paraparaumu a couple of weeks back on a flying visit, and I saw a pretty cool Indian.
I've always had a soft spot for the Indian, even before the Fastest movie came to be.

The one at this museum was a sure sight, that I look once, twice, three times... I thought Guzz' but no it is an Indian... they were a 750cc, and from around 1945, somthing of an experimental model with just a small number being made.

Dodgyiti
21st January 2007, 18:26
A few observations on the Norge,

I like the front end, and with the wavy discs and ABS sensor it still looks tidy. The riding position is very fixed, as in- your stuck in one place, comfortable enough.
You have to take off the bottom fairing panel to check the oil!
Guzzi quirks, gotta love 'em :yes:
The 'bars don't move up down or anywhere and are a cast type with a unique mounting so if they are not right for the rider it would be tricky to change them. I figure a person over 5'11" would be at home onboard, I felt stretched - hence I noticed how hard the bars and pegs would be to change.
I really like the guages and dash, in fact the whole fit and finish is great.
Not my cup of tea :zzzz: , I can see it as a good alternative to BMW R series, price wise it matches up well, and deliver much of what the Germans have to offer which is good for business.
Probably go down better in Europe than here though.

dangerous
21st January 2007, 19:48
The one at this museum was a sure sight, that I look once, twice, three times... I thought Guzz' but no it is an Indian... they were a 750cc, and from around 1945, somthing of an experimental model with just a small number being made.

Well bugger me... even with shaft drive, learn something new every day huh :rockon:

Bonez
22nd January 2007, 06:45

Looks like Guzzi are at it again, with the likleyhood of seeing this machine on the road in the future....Certainly looks more intergrated than any other Guzzi out at the moment IMHO. Get rid of the cast handle bars though.

Edit- Where's the fucken centre stand!!!

Bonez
22nd January 2007, 06:48
Well bugger me... even with shaft drive, learn something new every day huh :rockon:
Now for your next lesson grass hopper...........

nudemetalz
22nd January 2007, 07:48
A few observations on the Norge,

I like the front end, and with the wavy discs and ABS sensor it still looks tidy. The riding position is very fixed, as in- your stuck in one place, comfortable enough.
You have to take off the bottom fairing panel to check the oil!
Guzzi quirks, gotta love 'em :yes:
The 'bars don't move up down or anywhere and are a cast type with a unique mounting so if they are not right for the rider it would be tricky to change them. I figure a person over 5'11" would be at home onboard, I felt stretched - hence I noticed how hard the bars and pegs would be to change.
I really like the guages and dash, in fact the whole fit and finish is great.
Not my cup of tea :zzzz: , I can see it as a good alternative to BMW R series, price wise it matches up well, and deliver much of what the Germans have to offer which is good for business.
Probably go down better in Europe than here though.

But isn't the Stelvio pics just an artist's impression or is it "based" on what 'Guzzi have told them it's going to look like?

As Bonez says, surely it would have a centrestand !!

dangerous
22nd January 2007, 17:15
But isn't the Stelvio pics just an artist's impression or is it "based" on what 'Guzzi have told them it's going to look like?

As Bonez says, surely it would have a centrestand !!

Its how all Guzzi's start out, a impresion becomes a wooden model, then when the interest flows in... 5 years later they pop out of the 12 man factory... cool aye :rockon:

Thats how the Griso and MGS came about.

Ghost_Bullet
22nd January 2007, 20:33
Its how all Guzzi's start out, a impresion becomes a wooden model,

Thats how the Griso and MGS came about.

Wonder if in fact all our Guzzis are in fact wooden models in disguise?:shit:

nudemetalz
22nd January 2007, 20:49
Well I know that Guzzi must have run out of alloy and steel during the making of the V11 as they made the tank out of plastic.

Dodgyiti
22nd January 2007, 20:53
They tease us all the time, but often live up to promises.
Just take the Daytona for example, 6 years of teasing, then they make one but it's 26 grand- in 1995!:gob:
The Griso first caught my eye in a photo from Milan bike show in 2002, sure enough they made one in 2006 (well late 2005 really)
And thats another weird thing, the new models come out at odd times of the year too

Ghost_Bullet
22nd January 2007, 20:59
Well I know that Guzzi must have run out of alloy and steel during the making of the V11 as they made the tank out of plastic.

There is a hell of alot of plastic in the Griso, tank, mirrors, fenders, dash, but I guess it is about saving weight, and I guess that will leave less metal to rust...

Dodgyiti
22nd January 2007, 21:03
There is a hell of alot of plastic in the Griso, tank, mirrors, fenders, dash, but I guess it is about saving weight, and I guess that will leave less metal to rust...

Saving weight:eek:
I put the Griso with nearly a full tank on the pallet scales and it was 246kg
Where it is saved I will never know:whistle:
It's that big lump under the tank wot is really heavy, and lovely:love:

Ghost_Bullet
22nd January 2007, 21:13
Saving weight:eek:
I put the Griso with nearly a full tank on the pallet scales and it was 246kg
Where it is saved I will never know:whistle:
It's that big lump under the tank wot is really heavy, and lovely:love:

Oh yeah I would agree there is some beuty in the beast... I was considering a cruiser prior to the griso, like a japper or Guzzi jackel/cali.
I do not find much appeal in sport bike all farings and all. Naked, is good, and I guess the Guzzi, with those throbing pistons pumping out in the "V" well I was sold.... I am truely in love right now.. even with everyone elses hatred for the pipe...( it must be at least a 80% hate to a 20% like the pipe)
Though I will consider other options on that fron near the end of the yar I think.
I would hate to count the times I watched that promo video on the Guzzi.it site for the Grizz, that sure help seal the decision... :Punk: :done:

nudemetalz
22nd January 2007, 21:31
My next bike will be a Griso I think, although the Missus told me when I bought the V11 that I have to have it for at least 5 years.
By then Guzzi will be bringing out a new model, that will be on July 11th 2012 at 9.51am.
Good ole Guzzi unpredictablity !!

laRIKin
23rd January 2007, 20:47
Here a couple to :drool: over.

nudemetalz
24th January 2007, 21:00
I like the customised Griso but the V11 is a bit weird (esp that pipe).

Ghost_Bullet
17th February 2007, 21:31
Maybe for those tha would like to see a bit more of the Breva engine, which is much the same as the Grsio 1100 also... check this page out http://pexi.blogs.com/photos/1100_engine/engine_01.html
Scoot away with you :scooter: now

laRIKin
18th February 2007, 08:18
Maybe for those tha would liek to see a bit more of the Breva engine, which is much the same as the Grsio 1100 also... check this page out http://pexi.blogs.com/photos/1100_engine/engine_01.html
Scoot away with you :scooter: now

Talk about going Back to the Future.

I hope they can get a better frame this time, are we going to see the Loop Frame as well?

Dazza
19th February 2007, 07:53
Mates just cruising around the SI on his new 1200 Sport, not as hard edged as his old 1100 Sport but very comfortable,when I spoke to him on the phone he wasn't fizzing like I thought he would be, but hey, 2 up with the panniers,tank bag, rack and tent, things are bound to scrap. Told him to wait til he gets home, throws all the luggage & "Baggage" off, he's also got the go fast bits on order aswell. Cannot wait until he lets me take her for a squirt to compare her to my old 1100 Sport ie.

Ghost_Bullet
25th February 2007, 13:43
Whats this now... the stelvio, is going to be a real thang. Check out his link for the detail.. 2008 The New Stelvio (http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/News/2008/2008_Moto_Guzzi.htm) An interesting looker, the wire wheels are nice.
Need to see some higher res pics realy.

Dodgyiti
25th February 2007, 15:47
This guy went to a lot of trouble to make this movie and it is kinda good for the serious Guzzinut only
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H1AEhbXHPw&mode=related&search=

BTW
I sold my Grizzler, got made a nice offer on it out of the blue and out the door she went!:bye:

Now I am trying out to be PaulinNZ's doppleganger as I just bought a Trumpie!!
Oh the shame! :nono: Somebody shoot me :dodge:
(or at least take my Visa off me)

stevedee
25th February 2007, 16:12
Mate was up at the old Solway for Saturday night and went round the shops at Masterton, they have the Guzzi's there and peeking through the windows they are surely one of the most incredible bikes I have seen. They had the Grisso and the Norge and a nice 750. To be honest I would have one tomorrow if I had the dosh, very very classy.

spd:-)

miSTa
25th February 2007, 20:06
Whats this now... the stelvio, is going to be a real thang. Check out his link for the detail.. 2008 The New Stelvio (http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/News/2008/2008_Moto_Guzzi.htm) An interesting looker, the wire wheels are nice.
Need to see some higher res pics realy.

Pretty crappy photos alright. Reminds me a lot of the BMW R1200GS but with road tyres.

What a shame it doesn't look like this http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/images/Moto_Guzzi/2008_MotoGuzzi_Stelvio_1200.jpg

Ghost_Bullet
25th February 2007, 21:38
Pretty crappy photos alright. Reminds me a lot of the BMW R1200GS but with road tyres.

What a shame it doesn't look like this http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/images/Moto_Guzzi/2008_MotoGuzzi_Stelvio_1200.jpg

Yo, you are right about that, in some ways, though maybe with higher res pics may change the impression, though I think I like the fact it dont have that brevaish tank shape...

nudemetalz
26th February 2007, 06:01
BTW
I sold my Grizzler, got made a nice offer on it out of the blue and out the door she went!:bye:

Alrighties,.....where's my .303 !!!!
You sold the Guzzi for a Trumpy ? (no offence to Trumpy owners).
Grrrr....:nono: :bash: :kick: :spanking:
Care to join in, Lemans, SDU, Paul in NZ, Ghost Bullet or even (potentially) Jim2 ??

I think I've made my point.. ;)

laRIKin
26th February 2007, 06:08
Care to join in, Lemans, SDU, Paul in NZ, Ghost Bullet or even (potentially) Jim2 ??

Resistance is futile, you will be re assimilated.:yes:

Nice bike though.

SDU
26th February 2007, 14:15
My next bike will be a Griso I think, although the Missus told me when I bought the V11 that I have to have it for at least 5 years.
Whats the problem! You can keep the V11 for her to ride over the next 5 years & get the Griso for you to ride:innocent:

I'll borrow your visa- while you repent!
at least you still have the lemon & you didn't go to the dark side.

ceebie13
26th February 2007, 14:50
Mate was up at the old Solway for Saturday night and went round the shops at Masterton, they have the Guzzi's there and peeking through the windows they are surely one of the most incredible bikes I have seen. They had the Grisso and the Norge and a nice 750. To be honest I would have one tomorrow if I had the dosh, very very classy.

spd:-)

Funny that Steve... I did the exact same thing. Was very taken by the Norge.
Lovely! Wonder what it costs?

Dodgyiti
26th February 2007, 17:13
Aww I can't help my pity for ugly ducklings, especially noisy yellow ones.
The Griso was a lot of money tied up (for me) and the little Trumpie does the around town hack job quite nicely, plus it even has lower kms than the Griso, albiet 3 owners but.
Maybe in 5 years I can get a low km Griso for under 10. There is no race history or limited edition/production numbers so they will not be going up in value like some other models (1100 Sport, Daytona, Mk1 & 2 Lemans, 500 singles etc) and with the new Griso 8v and 1200 Sport, the Breva and Griso are now 'Base Models' anyway.

I am the guy who waited 10 years to get a Daytona from $26k new for $9k with all the fruit. Good things come to those who wait...And save some pennies.:second:

Ghost_Bullet
26th February 2007, 19:09
Well here are some better pictures of this potential offering.

dangerous
26th February 2007, 19:51
No sir... I dont like it
but maybe it will grow on me.

Dodgyiti
26th February 2007, 20:04

Nah, does nothing for me either. To over styled, like it's trying too hard to be special. Guzzi excell at understatement, and this 'aint.

miSTa
26th February 2007, 20:14
The headlights don't look right...the Breva like tank...the muffler (what is it with Guzzi and big arse mufflers?), otherwise I like it.

Seems to be aimed at the BMW R1200GS (I would imagine the pricing is going to be up there as well). Appears to have a 19" front wheel. But the plastic sump guard is not so good nor is the lack of hand guards.

nudemetalz
27th February 2007, 20:00
So, the Stelvio is definitely hitting production ?
Reckon they need to do a "Long Way 'Round" or a Paris-Dakar to prove it's strength for good sales.

Ghost_Bullet
27th February 2007, 20:10
I saw 850 Griso in at Eric Wood's tonight when pickin mine up after the 10k service.
It was black, though not sure if I like the grey paint on the engine-trans.
They are going for 21995.00.

nudemetalz
27th February 2007, 20:39
What is the benefit of the 850 over the 1100, apart from about 4K price difference?
Aren't the the same , engine size aside?

Ghost_Bullet
27th February 2007, 20:47
Well personally I would not want one, I dont like all the grey, and it's 227kg, where the 1100 is 227kg, mmm strange, it is missing the oil cooler! what is Guzzi saying? Maybe they have added ballast!!!

I would consider the 8v Griso if it ever comes, though it would have to look or have something special about it more than just the engine. And of course spousal approval.

nudemetalz
27th February 2007, 20:52
Those December pics released of the 8V Griso make it damn near identical so I see what you're saying.
Perhaps carbon-fibres bits on it, like guards and a small Monster-type screen on it.
Reckon it'd look the bees-knees then and help distingush away from the baseline 4V model.

Ghost_Bullet
27th February 2007, 21:01
[QUOTE=nudemetalz;955127]Those December pics released of the 8V Griso make it damn near identical so I see what you're saying.
Perhaps carbon-fibres bits on it, like guards and a small Monster-type screen on it.
QUOTE]

Yeah true, you can buy carbon for the Now Griso, but I worked it out to be around 1400 bucks say if you bought from europe without freight etc.

www.corsaitaliana.com (http://www.corsaitaliana.com/index.php?f=data_new_griso_1100&a=0)
Scroll half way down this page.
I want I want.... donations please???:mellow:

nudemetalz
27th February 2007, 21:26
What a laugh !!
Everything I mentioned is right there !!!

That Ti low race pipe is gorgeous. Unsure about the high pipes though. Don't quite suit the Griso, IMO. Also make soft luggage difficult.

Wow, you can really make her look awesome !!

My donations are going towards some loud pipes for my V11 sorry :yes:

Ghost_Bullet
27th February 2007, 21:56
What a laugh !!
Everything I mentioned is right there !!!

That Ti low race pipe is gorgeous. :yes:

I do quite like this pipe to, and the performance results appear much better than stock.

nudemetalz
27th February 2007, 22:26
Yup, that looks good too, it flows with the lines, unlike the highpipes.

I see on that website that Ewan McGregor has a Griso 1100.
Another Guzzi freak,...good stuff !!!

Rashika
28th February 2007, 15:01
I do quite like this pipe to, and the performance results appear much better than stock.

it is certainly a vast improvement on the stock one :yes:

Paul in NZ
28th February 2007, 15:15

Sorry - if it came to a choice between the Triumph and my Moto Guzzi the triumph would win every time. I love the Mk2 - really love it, it's a very thoughtfully designed sports tourer thats miles better than people give it credit for but the Triumph? After something like 17 or 18 years ownership I still just pull the cover off it to look at it. Riding it well is still a challange and then there is the joy of the gradual improvements and fettling. It was a gift of love and it's going no place in the short term..

Dodgyiti
28th February 2007, 17:45
Sorry - if it came to a choice between the Triumph and my Moto Guzzi the triumph would win every time. I love the Mk2 - really love it, it's a very thoughtfully designed sports tourer thats miles better than people give it credit for but the Triumph? After something like 17 or 18 years ownership I still just pull the cover off it to look at it. Riding it well is still a challange and then there is the joy of the gradual improvements and fettling. It was a gift of love and it's going no place in the short term..

Fair enough, you found your ideal bikes and that is a rare and lucky thing, and you treat them well too:sunny:

I thought my Daytona was my ideal bike, then I crashed it :shutup:

My Mk1 is a keeper, but that second perfect ride for the stable still eludes me, perhaps it is the Thruxton, who knows

I did have a BMW R90S for 18 years and thought it was a keeper- then I rode a Guzzi ....:Punk: :rockon: :Punk:

Ghost_Bullet
28th February 2007, 19:27
Just applied wax to me bike, oh what a feeling
:Punk: "FCUK" I love my Grizz!!!!!!!:Punk:

:first:

Stock pipe and all, though I will go another when the time is right!

nudemetalz
28th February 2007, 19:41
Just what are you trying to say, Ghostie ? :gob:

miSTa
28th February 2007, 21:25

You've been molesting your muffler again haven't you?

Ghost_Bullet
28th February 2007, 21:31
You've been molesting you muffler again haven't you?

How dare you!!!! It is a consenting adult!!!:innocent:

miSTa
1st March 2007, 06:59
:lol: Of course it is Q... ;)

Paul in NZ
1st March 2007, 08:23

Hmmmm... Sounds like grooming for sex...

Dodgyiti
3rd March 2007, 07:38
It's a sickness Q

Mufflers for the Grizzler are now quite common, there are at least 10 to choose from.
The guy I sold mine to rang for a rant on how awesome the pipe and bike are, I also like the sound and look of the Staintune can.
What are you leaning towards Q?

Ghost_Bullet
27th March 2007, 13:06
Hot Off The Press
Moto Guzzi anounces the 940 custom as now being the "Bellagio".
Looks like we will be seeing this before any 8valve units. This newly renamed addtion to the family I guess is catering for the 883 customer wanting somehting different. My guess would be this would be asking some 18-20k to put one in your shed?
Best to go and check out the page for yourself.
Moto Guzzi Home (http://www.motoguzzi.it/home.asp?lin=eng)

No actual release date set, I guess it is wait and see.

vifferman
27th March 2007, 13:37
Hot Off The Press
Moto Guzzi anounces the 940 custom as now being the "Bellagio".
Looks like we will be seeing this before any 8valve units. This newly renamed addtion to the family I guess is catering for the 883 customer wanting somehting different. My guess would be this would be asking some 18-20k to put one in your shed?
Best to go and check out the page for yourself.
Moto Guzzi Home (http://www.motoguzzi.it/home.asp?lin=eng)

No actual release date set, I guess it is wait and see.
That Belluga (isn't that a type of fish eggs?!?) looks wack! The zorsts are the wrong angle and size. And that second picture is badly composed - looks like it's got an enormous concrete topbox....

I was considering a MG years ago, because I wanted something with more character, but reports of wiring made from spaghetti, bits rusting and/or falling off put me off. You can have too much character....

Dazza
28th March 2007, 08:47
Off to Rotovegas this Saturday and hopefully my mate will want to swap bikes for a few k's & let me ride his 2007 1200 Sport (in red of course), canne wait captain, reckons it's not as hard edged as his 1995 1100 Sport.

nudemetalz
29th March 2007, 12:12
Off to Rotovegas this Saturday and hopefully my mate will want to swap bikes for a few k's & let me ride his 2007 1200 Sport (in red of course), canne wait captain, reckons it's not as hard edged as his 1995 1100 Sport.

Let us Guzzi-ites know what you think of the 1200 Sport.
I have read a lot about it not being hard-edged as the Griso, or the V11's but still being very pleasant to ride.

Dazza
29th March 2007, 13:16
Let us Guzzi-ites know what you think of the 1200 Sport.
I have read a lot about it not being hard-edged as the Griso, or the V11's but still being very pleasant to ride. Most certainly will, he's still in 2 minds about it @ present, has done the South Island 2-up on it with all the factory luggage & was dissapointed on how it kept scraping (with suspension adjustments) doesn't seem to have the punch the 1100Sport has (has kept the 1100 Sport aswell), more linear power. He has all the performance parts ordered aswell to bolt on once they arrive. :yes: I'd did 43000k's on my old injected 1100 Sport so should be an interesting comparison, even if it was 7yrs ago !!!

Dazza
2nd April 2007, 09:48
Well I did'nt ride the new beast, but will submit a few photos fm. the weekends ride but got to follow it quite closely for a few k's. Ash was concerned about the bikes sporting prowess but after 2 days of riding some of the best back roads the South Waikato has to offer he's falling in love with his new mistress. He's abit of a Guzziphile, in his shed is his 47000 mile (not k's) 1995 1100 Sport he's had fm. new, which he's prettied up due to the fact that his brohter took on a car with it before Christmas and a 1973 LeMans with a big bore kit, M1R front end and a few more goodies.Back to the 1200, it certainly gets out of corners very nicely & even with the standard can sounds very nice indeed. In typical Guzzi fashion it appears very stable @ any speed and any road conditions. The riding postion appears very comfortable, I did sit on it. The non main roads that we rode weren't condussive to test riding someones new bike. Long story short, Ashe's 2 day riding with us doing approximately 1200k's have quashed his previous 6500k's worries about it not being the bike he should've bought. Oh did I mention he's letting me have it for a couple of weeks (he's keeping the KTM to make sure I bring her back) in the new year to take my partner down south, She's getting one of the hard cases for her stuff & I get the other one for all the necessities. So even if I didn't ride her, (he did offer) I was more than impressed with he ablities as a real world motorcyle, saying that, Ash is a very competent smooth old dude/rider that one day when I grow up I hope to emulate his style !!!

nudemetalz
2nd April 2007, 22:07
Oooww, that's a pity you didn't get to ride the new Guzzi.
They do look nice, I have to admit that !!
However, not quite as good as a Griso.........

Ghost_Bullet
2nd April 2007, 22:27
MMmmm interesting, I am gonna be brash and say I do not liked the dressed up Breva, sure its got the 1200 plant. But I would rather see an so called sport look independant from the Breva tourer. The black and white on the 1200 looks fine though, I am not completly full of hatred for it.. lol :devil2:

dangerous
5th April 2007, 20:27
Well this isnt a 07 model, its been around for a couple of years... but 167hp, not bad for 2 valves and push rods aye .

orangeback
5th April 2007, 20:40
Well this isnt a 07 model, its been around for a couple of years... but 167hp, not bad for 2 valves and push rods aye .

buy a zx10r and youll get that out of the box:yes: :yes: :bye: :zzzz:
plus another two cylinders

dangerous
6th April 2007, 09:43
buy a zx10r and youll get that out of the box:yes: :yes: :bye: :zzzz:
plus another two cylinders

Thanks, but no thanks :rockon:

Ghost_Bullet
6th April 2007, 13:37
I was talking to a guy at the dealer in Chch, and they are expecting somthing new in October'ish. But he was not sure what... I would be thinking the 940 Bellagio.
Hopefully somthing along the lines of the 1200 8v at some stage soon, It would be nice to be able to go to that when the warranty runs out on the Griso... and depending on the ole cash flow... donations??? lol

Dodgyiti
7th April 2007, 18:57
It would be nice to be able to go to that when the warranty runs out on the Griso... and depending on the ole cash flow... donations??? lol

Ahhhh, no.

I have my own addiction to rattly old unloved Guzzlers to attend to. Those little cars of yours must be worth at least $300 in scrap ali?

Damnit, I just got another one..:shit:

Ghost_Bullet
7th April 2007, 21:06
Ahhhh, no.

I have my own addiction to rattly old unloved Guzzlers to attend to. Those little cars of yours must be worth at least $300 in scrap ali?

Ahhh yeee-urh!!!!! Ha ha , Oh I would also love to own a cassic like your latest purchase! awesome buy dude, not sure why I pay the compliment though.
Scrap metal???:Pokey: Well must be memorable scrap metal for you to remember them!!!!!!!
Will ave one of those babies on the road by the end of this month... yeee haaaa!!!!

Hey I have not heard nothin about this Rattly Tappit rally at all apart from what you have said... what are the dates?... Looks like only tent sites left now... that'll suit me, or I have a mate living up in the clay hills not far from there.
And what Guzzler will you be takin to the rally now uh?

Scrap metal :no: :no:

Dodgyiti
8th April 2007, 07:45
Well, after and including the 300 hours I intend spending on my Mk1, the Mk1 better be the bike I take to the rally. It is now a frame with front end on, and in 2 weeks the motor will be machined and balanced...

I will PM you next week about the rally details, or at least the organiser's email.
It is a low key thing on the organisational front :mellow:

The little cars stuck in my memory because I had to walk past them and failed to avert my eyes the second time.

James Deuce
8th April 2007, 07:55
Ahhhh, no.

It's not very clean, is it?

Get to to work before Paul see's it.

Dodgyiti
8th April 2007, 08:07
It's not very clean, is it?

Get to to work before Paul see's it.

Paul knows all too well my feelings about Mk2 Lemans, I totally bastardized one last year just to spite him, flame paint job and all.
And yes it looks 10 time worse than the picture in R/L, ya get that when it's been sitting a while, last rego 7/96!

Ghost_Bullet
10th May 2007, 19:18
This post is not much about 2007 models, more about accessories.

There have been a variety of pipes become availiable for the 06 and 07 griso.
And now Guzzi have done there own "GRISO HOMOLOGATED MUFFLER by TERMIGNONI" (http://www.motoguzzi.it/Nuovi_modelli/griso1100/zoom.asp?img=scarico_termignoni_griso_zoom.jpg&desc=GRISO%20HOMOLOGATED%20MUFFLER%20by%20TERMIGNO NI%3Cbr%3ECODE:973243500007%20). Does not look to bad really, quite similer to others developed. The bad thing is the price is steep.... at around $1350.00 bucka rooozies! Then you would have to get it accross the water...

just added pic below... fitted

nudemetalz
13th May 2007, 21:02
Nope, I don't like the look of that muffler.
Looks too retro on a modern-styled MG.

laRIKin
26th May 2007, 17:35
Is this going to be a new model?
Some say the new Monza, not sure why?

98tls
26th May 2007, 17:40
Is this going to be a new model?
Some say the new Monza, not sure why? Hope so.............very nice indeed..................

nudemetalz
26th May 2007, 21:51
Looks too fussy and bulky for a Guzzi.
Being lean and simple is part of the reason that they look so great.

Paul in NZ
26th May 2007, 21:58
Looks too fussy and bulky for a Guzzi.
Being lean and simple is part of the reason that they look so great.

um........ Look waaaay back - Guzzis are not always 'simple' (the V8 is far from simple) but they are always Guzzis and thus stlyish and the ultimate of COOL! Sorry - HD and Ducati are positively Gauche' in comparison!

Moto Guzzi for Life - everything else is a pretender...

Ghost_Bullet
26th May 2007, 21:59
Mmmm not seen that one any where before.. dont think I like the faring on the front, though the rest looks ok.
The pipe is nicly positioned. Almost looks breva'ish, but also with some v11 style thrown in to.
Someone playin with photoshop uh???

laRIKin
26th May 2007, 22:08
Well I think that I like it, apart from the indicators in the mirrors.
I may get use to that and would like to see one in the flesh to make up my mind.

Not sure if I would buy one as I like my basic V11 sport.
But then again, I may get tempted if I wanted a fairing on a bike again and I liked the way the bike rode.

It reminds me of a Triumph Daytona, which I looked real hard at, to buy instead of the V11.

R1madness
27th May 2007, 15:44
Hey Rik and Sal, call in and have a look at the V11 SCURA that i have in the shop. Its sold (already) but they never made many so its worth a look.