PDA

View Full Version : Velocette Mac 350!

awesker
17th November 2006, 09:29
Hey guys! Well my friend has got himself a 1953 Velocette Mac 350! His grandfather has been restoring it for years and its in MINT condition, apart from the parts that his grandfather had to make (like brake levers). I went for a ride on the back last night just around the block and boy, it gave me a bigger grin than any either of my jap bikes have ever given me.. more of the essence of riding than being cramped up and tucked in behind platic fairing.. I think Im starting to know what the old salts talk about when they talk about how the older bikes had 'character' (riding along at the light lense falls out and is held on by the wires! :lol:), and it makes such a sexy exhaust note, just that big thumper! oww! Im in love!

Just thought Id share! Respect to the older cats who used to own these things!

Cheers,
Nick

btw: that pic is not the bike, but it looks exactly like that.

Ghost Lemur
17th November 2006, 09:34
Sweet. Now you've got to make sure it gets treated well so you can inherit it one day.

TLDV8
17th November 2006, 09:35
Awesome :niceone:..quite often Less is More.
You have to love the shocks being able to be rotated at the upper mount.
I could have got a 500 Venom basket case but all there around 10 years ago for $5000,a bargain now.

Ixion
17th November 2006, 09:42
Beautiful. I'd give a great deal to have my 500 back again.

awesker
17th November 2006, 09:44
You mean the rear shocks? yeah its bloody simple, but hell it works!

Paul in NZ
17th November 2006, 09:45
Very nice - one bike I'd dearly love to have.

Motu
17th November 2006, 10:56
People talk about thumpers these days,there is even a site called Thumper Talk,but they haven't got a clue what a real thumper is like.No way do these modern 4 stroke singles thump! Just starting a British single is a science....actualy watching a guy going through the starting proceedure of a B31 made me sure I just had to have one.

awesker
17th November 2006, 12:10
Yeah Motu, to true mate. Seeing my friend crank the kick start down a few notches, releasing the compression, moving the kickstart the rest of the way then you needa really BOOT in it get it into life (repeat this a couple of times) .. then thump .... thump ...... thump thump .. thump.. thump as it comes into life and the revs pick up to idle speed. God I could sit there and listen to it all day :love:

Brian d marge
17th November 2006, 13:50
Enfield ..best bike I have ever bought ,,,have a spare engine with a mag ..I would like to pick up a spare chassis ,,,and thats me set up for life ,,,

A vello is a fantastic bike ,,, but one thing The parts are all available inthe uk , the vello dealership in putney?? ( Dodkins i think~) was taken over a few years ago ,,but is still there ??

Stephen

Robbo
17th November 2006, 14:54
AWESOME My very first bike was a 53 Mac Vellocette and that was back in the late 60's. Sure brings back some great old memories, like if it did'nt start after three kicks you were best to park it and walk to work instead. Usually kick number four it kicked back and bloody near broke your leg. Does that one still have the Fishtail Exhaust?

Cheers

Bonez
17th November 2006, 15:25
Hey guys! Well my friend has got himself a 1953 Velocette Mac 350! His grandfather has been restoring it for years and its in MINT condition, apart from the parts that his grandfather had to make (like brake levers). I went for a ride on the back last night just around the block and boy, it gave me a bigger grin than any either of my jap bikes have ever given me.. more of the essence of riding than being cramped up and tucked in behind platic fairing.. I think Im starting to know what the old salts talk about when they talk about how the older bikes had 'character' (riding along at the light lense falls out and is held on by the wires! :lol:), and it makes such a sexy exhaust note, just that big thumper! oww! Im in love!

Just thought Id share! Respect to the older cats who used to own these things!

Cheers,
Nick

btw: that pic is not the bike, but it looks exactly like that.http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchtype=GENERAL&searchstring=gb500&go.x=27&go.y=7&searchregion=100

awesker
17th November 2006, 15:58
Does that one still have the Fishtail Exhaust?

Sure does! Looks sweet. Is it normal that it smokes a bit?

Robbo
17th November 2006, 16:07
Sure does! Looks sweet. Is it normal that it smokes a bit?

Unless its smoking real badly, then i would'nt worry about it, after all it is 53 years old. It may also leak a little oil too, again nothing too seriously concern yourself about as most of the early British bikes did.
Cheers

vifferman
17th November 2006, 16:13
My father-in-law had one of those when he came to NZ.

ashmyre
19th November 2006, 16:56
Hey fullas,
Seems you guys are talking about my baby velo! Actually 1952, not 53. With the fishtail exhaust instead of a straight through. Just recently developed quite a nasty oil leak, seems to be coming from inside the primary chain box. But its so bloody hard to tell cause theres remanents of oil all over the place! Plus the oil in the tank is going down which indicates its proberbly a seal somewhere along the oil line. If anyone has experience and would give me any pointers, itd be much appreciated.

Grasius

Velocette's rule