PDA

View Full Version : And now for something completely different

pritch
17th November 2006, 12:42
Took a Goldwing for a ride at lunch time, the local Honda dealer has a couple in to go with the annual Goldwing gathering in town here this weekend.

Blowing half a gale and pissing rain but it was fun. At one point I thought I was going deceptively slowly so I wound it on then realised the speedo was in MPH. Radio, cruise control, self cancelling blinkers ; lotsa buttons to play with. Never got to try reverse gear which would have been a first.

I think I almost managed to look as if I knew what I was doing until I pulled back in to the dealers yard when the duck paddling I was doing with my feet might have spoiled the good impression I was trying to make.

While it's true that I'm looking at buying a new bike in the mid term a Goldwing won't be on the list, unless I move unexpectedly to the US of A where it'd probably be ideal.

Next weeks tests should be the VFR and the CB1300. I was to get one of those tomorrow but suggested it be postponed 'til the weather permits a more meaningful ride.

Won't it be nice when summer finally comes...

dhunt
17th November 2006, 20:24
Yip it was definitely a good day for testing a bike out properly. How come you are after a new bike?

You looked at any Suzuki's or is that against your religion :whocares: Yeah I'm looking forward to summer too as I'm a bit sick of all this miserable weather. But not holding my breath.

Zapf
27th November 2006, 17:24
Have a look at a CB1300S :P I am looking that direction...

pritch
30th November 2006, 14:31
I had a CB1300 all last weekend. Nice bike and physically much bigger than the Hornet. Nice lazy power delivery, I went over Mt Messenger in top without making it lug - just to see if I could. It handles nice enough and tracks OK in the bumpier bits but is obviously a big bike.

The Hornet (with Ohlins) handles bumps way better and is much easier to throw around. Although power is similar, the Hornet doesn't have the torque of the 1300 but then I've never noticed a shortage. If I tried to go over Mt Messenger in top I might?

Overall the Hornet has a higher "Grin" factor and you can save thousands. For a few more sheckles than an S you could get a VFR which is a much classier option, although one rider I know of has recently changed from a VFR to a CB 1300 because his arthritic knees had of late protested too much at the VFRs seating position. It's a bugger getting old.

Rhino
30th November 2006, 21:01
Took a Goldwing for a ride at lunch time, the local Honda dealer has a couple in to go with the annual Goldwing gathering in town here this weekend.

Blowing half a gale and pissing rain but it was fun. At one point I thought I was going deceptively slowly so I wound it on then realised the speedo was in MPH. Radio, cruise control, self cancelling blinkers ; lotsa buttons to play with. Never got to try reverse gear which would have been a first.

I think I almost managed to look as if I knew what I was doing until I pulled back in to the dealers yard when the duck paddling I was doing with my feet might have spoiled the good impression I was trying to make.

While it's true that I'm looking at buying a new bike in the mid term a Goldwing won't be on the list, unless I move unexpectedly to the US of A where it'd probably be ideal.
Is that a 1500 (1988-2000) or 1800 (2001 on) that you tested?

The speedo in MPH indicates that it is a USA model. Canadian models have kph as the major markings.

Cruise control can be handy for avoiding speeding tickets:yes:

You shouldn't need to duck paddle. The C of G is very low and it is possible to do full lock turns at low speed with feet on the pegs.:gob:

They may not be the sportiest bike in the world, but you can ride all day and cover huge mileage in comfort without stopping.:yes:

Three times now Scorpygirl and I have done Christchurch to Auckland in one day on a 'Wing. Leave Chch around 8:00 am. Catch the 1:30 pm ferry from Picton and just ride home to Auckland. I wouldn't want to do it on a sprot bike.:(

pritch
1st December 2006, 12:29
Is that a 1500 (1988-2000) or 1800 (2001 on) that you tested?

Current model 05/06, can't remember if it had the airbag but I think so.

The speedo in MPH indicates that it is a USA model. Canadian models have kph as the major markings.

It had both, but the MPH were the big ones. My eyes couldn't make out the little kph figures. I still think in mph anyway...

You shouldn't need to duck paddle. The C of G is very low and it is possible to do full lock turns at low speed with feet on the pegs.:gob:

Fair enough - if you practice. I was trying to manouver in a congested area with passenger, and duckpaddled because it seemed safer that way. Having to sign a form to say that the first $1000 damage was my problem focussed the mind.

Three times now Scorpygirl and I have done Christchurch to Auckland in one day on a 'Wing (

Well, I wouldn't want to do that on my Hornet . An ST might be OK but that's too much of a truck for me. If I was going to do that sort of trip regularly I'd go for a tourer though. These days though most of my rides tend to be on backroads so...

skelstar
1st December 2006, 12:59
Cheers for the comparo between CB1300 and Hornet. Puts things into perspective for me.

ceebie13
1st December 2006, 14:54
Cheers for the comparo between CB1300 and Hornet. Puts things into perspective for me.

If you come on the MotoMart Barbeque Run to Castle Point on Sunday, Skel, then you might just be able to visually compare the Hornet (courtesy of the Kendogs, who have two!) alongside the CB13 (courtesy of myself and Mrs Ceebie).Might even let you sit on it if you ask nicely (...the bike, that is.) :rockon:

skelstar
1st December 2006, 15:02
Yeah, probably wont be there. Was more interested in how the bikes handle compared to each other etc. Not in the market, but nice to know where my bike sits 'in the market/range'.

Zapf
1st December 2006, 21:48
I had a CB1300 all last weekend. Nice bike and physically much bigger than the Hornet. Nice lazy power delivery, I went over Mt Messenger in top without making it lug - just to see if I could. It handles nice enough and tracks OK in the bumpier bits but is obviously a big bike.

The Hornet (with Ohlins) handles bumps way better and is much easier to throw around. Although power is similar, the Hornet doesn't have the torque of the 1300 but then I've never noticed a shortage. If I tried to go over Mt Messenger in top I might?

Overall the Hornet has a higher "Grin" factor and you can save thousands. For a few more sheckles than an S you could get a VFR which is a much classier option, although one rider I know of has recently changed from a VFR to a CB 1300 because his arthritic knees had of late protested too much at the VFRs seating position. It's a bugger getting old.

I would be interested to see how a standard hornet compairs to a starndard CB13 and also ones with mods on.

Zapf
10th December 2006, 17:13
I would be interested to see how a standard hornet compairs to a starndard CB13 and also ones with mods on.

Well I have just done one myself...

Thanks to Botany Honda I had their brand new CB1300S demo to myself for a good day or two. During which I have had the chance to try it out in the city and back roads enviroments.

Putting foot over the 1300, you know its big. Specially when you lift it off the side stand, once its upright everything falls into place and feels very good.

It has got solid but not over whelming torque, and the gear shift and power delivery is very very very smooth.

Once used to the bike, I was happy moving around in the traffic and splitting between cages. The weight is well carried and the suspension is very good for factory units.

The 13 will easily get up to speed in any gear and it is easy to forget what speed you are doing in order to keep the local enforcement happy.

Taking the 13 out to Clevedon and beyond, the bike is very composed and factory suspension carries the bike well. In fact it feels better than a factory 900 Hornet

The small factory fairing kept the air reaching the rider light and enjoyable, however if one wish to move forward on the bike and head down for some higher speed runs. You'll find that you can't move forward enough to put your head right behind the screen, and find that there is some dirty air hitting your helmet as you duck behind the air stream. A different helment (E.g BMW) or some modifications to the screen might fix this problem.

So the CB1300S is a very good bike, but is it good enough for me to give up my CBR954 for?

ceebie13
14th December 2006, 19:49
So the CB1300S is a very good bike, but is it good enough for me to give up my CBR954 for?

You do ask some very silly questions, Felix....of course it is!

Zapf
18th December 2006, 20:29
You do ask some very silly questions, Felix....of course it is!

haha.. sure or I can be really greedy and have both?

steved
19th December 2006, 09:42
haha.. sure or I can be really greedy and have both?

Why is it CBR or CB? I would have thought the CB1300 would be a potential replacement for your CB900?

Zapf
19th December 2006, 14:48
Why is it CBR or CB? I would have thought the CB1300 would be a potential replacement for your CB900?

the idea was reducing down to 1 bike instead of 2.... guess I am not doing too well here