PDA

View Full Version : Why are cans so expensive?

sinned
17th November 2006, 15:30
Answer: Probably only because we are prepared to pay what is asked.
It seems odd to have to pay 12% - 15% of a bikes new price just to get a decent level of sound that was there before the manufacturer spent heaps on making it quiet.

All I want is loud and nice sound with the same power. Who can make a muffler that does that without costing the earth? I bet they could make them in China for less than $20.00 each.:gob:

Cajun
17th November 2006, 15:40
depends on where you look, and where you buy from

Pipes from over seats are hugely cheaper than locally

for example i picked up a full race system for my 600, for $500 of trade me, was simlar price of buying new bolt on, but i got a full system for same money

McJim
17th November 2006, 15:40
Answer: Probably only because we are prepared to pay what is asked.
It seems odd to have to pay 12% - 15% of a bikes new price just to get a decent level of sound that was there before the manufacturer spent heaps on making it quiet.

All I want is loud and nice sound with the same power. Who can make a muffler that does that without costing the earth? I bet they could make them in China for less than $20.00 each.:gob:

Download a bike sound you like - fit an ipod and amp and speakers to your bike...loop the sound and hit repeat play....enjoy.

There's not enough demand to mass produce aftermarket pipes therefore China is out of the question. they have to be made to order and usually made by hand and almost always made by someone in the developed world that wants paid more than 15c per day.

sinned
17th November 2006, 18:20
Download a bike sound you like - fit an ipod and amp and speakers to your bike...loop the sound and hit repeat play....enjoy.

There's not enough demand to mass produce aftermarket pipes therefore China is out of the question. they have to be made to order and usually made by hand and almost always made by someone in the developed world that wants paid more than 15c per day.

Thanks McJim - that is really useful. You are right we shouldn't support slave labour in other countries. However, someone should even in NZ be able to produce cans for about a third of current prices. It is called pricing to what the market will bare. I guess to get noise I need to pay upward of $1200. :shit:

Grahameeboy
17th November 2006, 18:34
I like my standard pipes..........I wear ear plugs anyway so do not see point of spending $1500 on 2 new slip ons......

TonyB
17th November 2006, 18:52
When I was trying to offer slipons I thought the same. Still do actually. I really can't see how a bit of straight perforated pipe with rockwool and a bit of metal wrapped around it can be worth so much. Look at pretty much any after market can, all they are is what I have described above. I went to see the company that makes big bore exhausts for da boi racers. The prices they were offering me were VERY low, but that was for a mass produced car item- a tad big for a bike. I couldn't do the numbers they needed to develop anything for bikes.

geoffm
17th November 2006, 18:59
There is a fair amount of work in making a decent set of cans (and doing a nice job). Mass production helps, as you can get press tools made for the end caps,e tc - but that still costs money. They have to be rigth because any flaw will stand out and a crappy job ruind the whole bike.
Remember, and engineering shop charge out rate is in the order of $60/hr +GST, so it doesn't take many hours to be $$$.
When I made the can for my GSXR 750, there was around $200 of materials in it. If I did it again, or more of them, it would be cheaper, but all those bits ad up.
Geoff

Motu
17th November 2006, 19:09
You could always set up your own manufacturing company making exhaust systems for half the price of what's on offer - but you can't can you? And if you could you'd be broke before you put your first add on TradeMe.It's called earning a living....you actualy have to survive in business.

imdying
17th November 2006, 19:13
You could always set up your own manufacturing company making exhaust systems for half the price of what's on offer - but you can't can you? And if you could you'd be broke before you put your first add on TradeMe.It's called earning a living....you actualy have to survive in business.

You wouldn't bother, you'd have them made overseas.

McJim
17th November 2006, 19:19
You wouldn't bother, you'd have them made overseas.

But to make them economically overseas you'd have to make enough identical units to make it worthwile and bikes are fickle things to fit pipes too - only way to be sure of success is to make them Gixxer specific....coz everyone'sgot a gixxer haven't they?

I think the common misconception is what is inside the muffler and how much effect that can really have on the performance and sound of a bike - it's not just a hollow tube.

TonyB
17th November 2006, 19:51
$140. Polished stainless. Beutifully made, no visible welds. Cheap enough? Sadly they were about twice as big as I wanted- ie, for a car.

imdying
17th November 2006, 20:32
I think the common misconception is what is inside the muffler and how much effect that can really have on the performance and sound of a bike - it's not just a hollow tube.I guess you have to decide who you believe...

Yes, there are more restrictive and less restrictive mufflers, so how much they flow is relative to how much horsepower you can get. But assuming that you are looking at good companies (yes there are companies who can even screw-up a slip-on!), we are all able to create a 2.25" hole in a canister, so the restriction is almost zero.

Your motor cannot tell the difference between one 2.25" hole and another 2.25" hole, so the name badge on the outside means very little to the purchasing decision as it relates to the slip-on performance or HP output. (Unless of course you find one of those companies who can't even get a slip-on right!)

They seem to think it's easy enough, and they've a reasonable reputation.

imdying
17th November 2006, 20:33
$140. Polished stainless. Beutifully made, no visible welds. Cheap enough? Sadly they were about twice as big as I wanted- ie, for a car.I'm curious to know who that was? I'm buying all of my exhaust componentry locally, and it's all from places that normally deal with cars.

Fishy
17th November 2006, 20:34
Mate if you are looking for cheap pipes try www.jcmotors.com I have purchased a few things from these guys with prices around 40-50% cheaper than NZ retail (including shipping and taxes) and normally delivered in about 6 days to your door.

Take a look mate I highly recommend these guys!.

Nutter34
18th November 2006, 01:31
Mate if you are looking for cheap pipes try www.jcmotors.com I have purchased a few things from these guys with prices around 40-50% cheaper than NZ retail (including shipping and taxes) and normally delivered in about 6 days to your door.

Take a look mate I highly recommend these guys!.

Yip, I'd vouch for them. Got a can for my old CBR from them... Very good service.