PDA

View Full Version : Cage etiquette

jetboy
17th November 2006, 15:41
Stupid question really but how do you prefer drivers in cages to behave around bikies in traffic. I've never really ridden on the open road so would be good to know:

I drive about 150-250k's to and from work a day on the motorway and always find myself around dickheads who dont seem to notice bikers - swerving from lane to lane etc.

If there's ever a biker behind me I move to the side so he/she can pass between lanes (if they so desire) or if I am behind a slower biker I hang back and pass when appropriate.

Is there anything in particuar a cage driver can do?

McJim
17th November 2006, 15:43
Stupid question really but how do you prefer drivers in cages to behave around bikies in traffic. I've never really ridden on the open road so would be good to know:

I drive about 150-250k's to and from work a day on the motorway and always find myself around dickheads who dont seem to notice bikers - swerving from lane to lane etc.

If there's ever a biker behind me I move to the side so he/she can pass between lanes (if they so desire) or if I am behind a slower biker I hang back and pass when appropriate.

Is there anything in particuar a cage driver can do?

Sell the cage and buy a bike - I did - no regrets.

jetboy
17th November 2006, 15:45
unfortunately due to several reasons (and only for the meantime) I had to go the other way around. fuck riding a bike on my way to work every day - i see some shocking stuff (plus i work in east auckland where the driving has much to be desired)

Squeak the Rat
17th November 2006, 15:48
I've always assumed that cages that are considerate to bikers are actually being driven by bikers.

If drivers actually indicated for 3 seconds that would solve a lot of the problems. But it's a bit hypocritical, as most bikers don't indicate 3 seconds before changing lane either.

Drivers should:

indicate 3 seconds
look
look
look
look
look
look
look
look
indicate 3 seconds
move left where appropriate without throwing up debri from the side of the road
look
look
look

diggydog
17th November 2006, 15:57
unfortunately due to several reasons (and only for the meantime) I had to go the other way around. fuck riding a bike on my way to work every day - i see some shocking stuff (plus i work in east auckland where the driving has much to be desired)

hay get the fuck out of the way i'm coming though, thats there attitude,i suggest that you stay ahead of them or hang back but the only down fall of that is they can hold you up, so what was the point in passing in the first place.

Indiana_Jones
17th November 2006, 15:58
I've always assumed that cages that are considerate to bikers are actually being driven by bikers.

I have noticed some cage drivers do move over, it it does make life alot easier :)

cya boys on the ride home later :scooter:

-Indy

Swoop
17th November 2006, 15:58
1: Follow what the road rules say, which means keeping left at all times unless passing...
2: Switch the fuckin cellphone OFF!
3: Put your makeup on AT HOME!
4: When there is a stop sign or a red light, STOP!
5: Look for bikes!

[/rant]

The_Dover
17th November 2006, 15:59
yeah Tim.

put your fuckin make up on at home you big jessie.

jetboy
17th November 2006, 16:01
yeah Tim.

put your fuckin make up on at home you big jessie.
i was waiting for your post Dover!

im not the one with the pink prada bag though...

The_Dover
17th November 2006, 16:01
what colour is yours?

Kendog
17th November 2006, 16:06
If I'm driving and there's a bike behind me I try to drive normally (aside from constantly looking in my rear vision mirror to check out the bike/see if it's someone I know)as I find cars that pull over to the left for no reason, distracting and urging me to speed up and pass them, unless we're going slow, in which case I try to leave room for the biker to pass me (lane split). Obeying the road rules would be nice, indicate and brake appropriately.
Mrs KD.

JimO
17th November 2006, 16:07
what colour is yours?
classic.........

diggydog
17th November 2006, 16:09
1: Follow what the road rules say, which means keeping left at all times unless passing...
2: Switch the fuckin cellphone OFF!
3: Put your makeup on AT HOME!
4: When there is a stop sign or a red light, STOP!
5: Look for bikes!

[/rant]the problem with the five rules,which means to make plans before you leave home, which means get out of bed early or be ready with time on your side.

bell
17th November 2006, 16:15
It might be a bit OTT but this link should bring you up to speed on what a lot of bike riders are looking out for when on the roads - put your driving into perspective with some of these concepts. You'll most probably already have a good idea if you're a bike-friendly driver. If you're not then you've got the rest of your driving days to learn.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/122_0608_50_ways/