PDA

View Full Version : V Strom

mowaman
17th November 2006, 18:14
Looking at buying a V Strom in the next few months, anyone with any comments good or bad would be appreciated.

Cheers http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/images/smilies/sunny.gif
Chris

The_Dover
17th November 2006, 18:17
I rode one a while back and was pretty impressed.

Fairly nimble, nice motor, comfortable and pretty relaxed.

My only grumble was it was a bitch to lanesplit on cos it's pretty big and it claimed a few wing mirrors.

bell
17th November 2006, 18:52
They love these (both 650/1000) in the US and Oz (as do tour companies here). I found some great reviews on the web when I was looking at getting one. Here's a few links. Sorry if any of them are dead - haven't visited them for 6 months.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/suzuki_dl1000_v_strom/index.html
(love that first pic you see when the page loads! ...sparks will fly when she's over that far...)
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/thadalaska/
http://www.roadrider.com.au/bikes_-_archive/suzuki_v-strom_650
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/19january04_2004suzuki_vstrom650.htm
(this site has heaps of reviews of the DL1000 too - worth reading - go to "bike reviews and reports"

Happy reading!

thehollowmen
18th November 2006, 09:27
I've got the 650 and I still wouldn't be happy taking that two up on gravel.

Change the tyres to something more suitable. If you put on a top box, dont' worry about the rear ones but but change the frount indicators to bendy ones. because they hit the ground before the handlebars

actually... there is a fantastic forum here for ya -=> http://11109.rapidforum.com/

Laava
19th November 2006, 21:32
I've got the 650 and I still wouldn't be happy taking that two up on gravel.
That was the 1st thing I did when I got my new DL1000! Find the gnarliest gravel road and see how it handled it with Mrs LAV 750 on the back. I am getting some nice aggressive tyres for doing 90mile beach,Surf casting hopefully and such. No big drama really! Givi crashbars are only $140 odd and it's easy to put luggage on. They are a very wide ol' beast tho! None of us are getting any slimmer! :o There is a yellow one on trade me at the mo with full luggage.[1000]

Devil
20th November 2006, 08:50
I've ridden the 650 a couple of times and thought it to be almost the perfect bike for NZ (if you're by yourself, wouldn't be overly keen on it's performance two up with luggage). It's on my highly recommended list for the solo rider.

Only one niggle is the buffeting, but that can be cured by getting an aftermarket adjustable screen mount (ask Jantar).

I'm pretty set on the VStrom 1000 for my next bike.

The_Dover
20th November 2006, 08:57
the 06 Vstrom had an adjustable screen as standard.

Devil
20th November 2006, 10:39
Thats correct, from about 04 onwards on the 650 and 1000, but it's shit. The buffeting is terrible. The one Jantar got hold of not only goes up and down (further) it also tilts back and forwards so you can get it just right for your size.

thehollowmen
20th November 2006, 11:11
the 06 Vstrom had an adjustable screen as standard.

Yep, but you've got to be less than 5 foot 8, even if it is set to highest setting.

The helmet buffeting you get is amazing really, worse than riding it naked. I know, I've tried

Big Dave
20th November 2006, 11:21
worse than riding it naked. I know, I've tried

Naked bikes don't have buffeting - all that comes from bodywork or screen.

Laava
20th November 2006, 17:25
This is all true, but the Madstad bracket does improve things, not enough for me though, I'm 6,0'. I am after a Givi screen which some claim eliminates buffeting which is THE worst thing about this bike. Do yourself a favour and check www.stromtrooper.com and www. vstrom.info. There are others also and have some kiwi aussie feedback incl Jantar who has had his V a lot longer than me. Good luck, PM me if you feel the need. Al.

mowaman
21st November 2006, 18:55
Thanks for the advice, I must admit the buffeting is a problem At 6ft, at around 120Kmh we were being pushed around badley but put it down at the time to the strong cross wind, the Canterbury Nor wester:gob:

Laava
21st November 2006, 21:32
That sounds right Mowaman, I don't know how far a new screen will go towards stopping the buffeting in a strong crosswind but when there's no crosswind it's not acceptable really! Feels like you are being beaten on the head by a drummer with a pair of pilchards!:yes:

Oscar
25th November 2006, 11:36
I had a V Strom (1000) with a Givi Screen fitted.
It was fantasic, no buffeting at all - the only problem was that if I got rain on my visior, I had to stand up to get enough wind force to clean it!

Devil
25th November 2006, 12:10
I had a V Strom (1000) with a Givi Screen fitted.
It was fantasic, no buffeting at all - the only problem was that if I got rain on my visior, I had to stand up to get enough wind force to clean it!
Hah! I had the 650 demo on a winters night, I couldn't unfog my visor for the same reason! If/When I get one, i'd be tempted to biff the screen completely.

Oscar
25th November 2006, 12:18
My DL1000:

scracha
18th December 2006, 06:39
Anyone got any comments on the finish, servicing (frequency and costs) and reliability?

I'm looking at one of these or another TDM. The V-Strom looks a bit comfier but I'm a bit concerned as previous Suzuki's I've owned have ended up looking like $hit (furring up fasteners and exhausts) after the merest hint of wet/dirty roads. Bit more power (and weight) than the tedium too...shame they're so fuggin ugly.

Guess I'd need to change my signature too

Jantar
18th December 2006, 06:48
I've had mine for 5 months now and put just over 8000 kms on it. I'll write a fulle report tonight, but so far I'd have to say its the most versitile bike I've ever owned.

Laava
18th December 2006, 08:01
I am buying a sump guard for mine. Holed the bitch last weekend and still don't know when I wll get it back. Think I'll get someone local to bend/weld something up for me. Anyone else want one while I'm at it?:scooter: