PDA

View Full Version : DR650SE - mods for trail use - ?

paulj
18th November 2006, 10:27
My recently purchased, elderley (1997) DR650SE seems to have been fitted out for road use - tyres and gearing need to be changed IMHO.

Tyres - presently:-
Front - Bridgestone Trail Wing 19 80/80-21
Rear - Bridgestone Trail Wing - 130/80-17MC

I would like to change to something more suited to gravel and the odd bit of mud n wet grass etc ... some road work but bugger all if I can help it.

Gearing - what would be the lowest gearing I could achieve with the DR650? Rear sprocket is getting pretty stuffed and now would be a good time to replace it.

TIA

far queue
18th November 2006, 11:37
They come standard with 15/41 gearing, 525 chain, and the tyres you currently have on.

I’ve changed my rear sprocket to a 44, and I change my front between 13, 14 and 15 depending on the ride I’m going on. 13 is great in tight single track etc, but of course top speed is down. 15 is great for the longer road trips, but 1st is a bit high off road. 14 is a compromise. Suzuki sell the 14 and 15 front sprockets in 525 size.

I’m running 520 size sprockets with the original chain no problems, 525 is a bit wider but the link length is the same, so no worries, and it helps to clear the mud.

There’s no 13 front sprocket available for the DR650 but the XR600 spline is the same, so I use a 13 from that, you’ll also need the retaining plate to go with it as it’s a 2 hole one, not 3 hole like the DR.

I’ve just picked up a couple of replacement 13 and 14 sprocket made by JT Sprockets – the code for the 13 is JTF575.13, cost $23.50 – and the 14 JTF575.14, cost $25.50. Your local bike shop can order these for you.

As for tyres, I run the chunkiest road legal ones I can. I recommend Pirelli MT21 or Mitas E09 – both good value for money and both give good traction on and off road. I had the Pirelli on last and have the Mitas on currently, when it wears out I’ll be putting another Mitas on. If you don’t want to go to a full knobbly then the Mitas E07 is a good all round tyre that wears better on the road, but doesn’t have the same traction off road. Horses for courses, so up to you.

There’s a couple of things for you to think about anyway.

paulj
18th November 2006, 14:57
Brilliant - that's great info Far - I'm much obliged - thanks - I'll get onto this Monday and get the bits.

I downloaded the full manual for the DR and hope to do the work myself - more for personal enjoyment that saving $'s ... it'll probably end up in the service dept none the less!

Cheer n beers

far queue
18th November 2006, 15:39
oops, I got the Mitas tyre models the wrong way around. It's the E09 I have on, not the E07. I've fixed up my post above so it's correct now.

What part of Otago are you in? Could hook up for a ride next time I'm down that way, which will probably be Waitangi weekend for this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=37993)

paulj
18th November 2006, 17:39
Thanks Far - I've corrected my order! I live in the hills where the gravel road meets the dirt tracks up the top of Bannockburn - in a paddock with some sheep (small farm cottage) just below the Nevis Road so it's all literally at the back door.

I'm planning a Xcountry trip through the Lammermoors at Xmas - Hayes Wind Farm site and the historical aspects - I'll be self contained and never too far from an ale house.

So - if you're in these parts please drop in ... or pencil in the Xmas trip.

YES!!! - saw the Otematata trip - sorely tempted but still a little green and the bike needs these tweeks (probably me too!).

Cheers

far queue
18th November 2006, 18:43
I live in the hills where the gravel road meets the dirt tracks up the top of Bannockburn - (small farm cottage) just below the Nevis Road so it's all literally at the back door.

I'm planning a Xcountry trip through the Lammermoors at Xmas - Hayes Wind Farm site and the historical aspects - I'll be self contained and never too far from an ale house.That was a fun exercise with the topo maps, but I’ve got you sussed now and where you’re going at Xmas. You’ve some good country around you alright.
in a paddock with some sheepmmmm, your own harem, handy on those long cold southern nights :shifty:
So - if you're in these parts please drop in ... or pencil in the Xmas trip.Xmas, I plan to be riding up Nelson way. I’ll see how the Waitangi weekend ride goes, it looks like there’s an interesting pylon road from Clyde round the West side of the Cairnmuir Mountains to Bannockburn that could be worth a look.

paulj
19th November 2006, 04:42
Yeah - the pylon road to Clyde is a frequent carrier of bikes, 4x4's etc - its pretty tame really - if there weren't so many farm gates I'd drive that way to Alex rather than the main road route which is a long backtrack to Crom from here - a much more interesting route is up the back onto the Nevis Sadlle then south along the ridge - right through to Waikaia and Piano Flat - good weekend blat.

fodendeyo
29th November 2006, 21:06
Hey Paul
I am down near Dunedin and hope to be up your way early-mid December if you are interested in a ride. I have just moved to a 650 from a 350 and hoping to do more back country rides.

paulj
30th November 2006, 20:40
Sure - there's plenty to choose from - I'm a little green yet and take it easy - still waiting on some better tyres and gearing - should be sorted by mid December - but ...

chris
1st December 2006, 12:32
Fit full knobbies. Have a look at the Vee Rubber range, phone Darbi Accessories, 09 415 3565, for a local dealer. We've tried some of the Vee Rubber range and have found them to be an excellent tyre.

Henk
1st December 2006, 22:21
Or try the T63 sirac Michelins. Pretty aggresive road legal knob that works well on grass gravel and sand so far. On both a DR 650 and a TTR600

fodendeyo
9th December 2006, 06:50
Paul - the way the weather has been lately I might wait until late January! Running out of time.

paulj
10th December 2006, 05:05
Yeah - every Friday it starts!!! Whaaaaaaa - rain and cold southerlies - late Jan early Feb is best here... the ground's harder!!

Whenever ...