PDA

View Full Version : Hydration daypacks

Ghost Lemur
18th November 2006, 15:24
With some big dayriding coming up I've stepped up a gear (no pun intended) in my gear aquisions. Helps that I've just had my b'day (still have some pressie credits in my pocket deciding on a use) and xmas is coming.

One of the things I found very lacking on the first dayride I did was a hydration daypack.

Been looking at a few different ones. But have some questions.

On an average day ride how much gear space do you guys use/need?

How much would you drink?

yungatart
18th November 2006, 15:36

A tank pack is sufficient for a day ride.
As far as drinking is concerned - we should all be drinking 2 litres of water per day, about 8 glasses.
Dehydration is a real issue for me, I usually just buy bottled water, but Zukin callled round here yesterday and he has one of those hydration packs in his jacket.
It got me thinking as we have some of the Platypus ones here, left over from our cycling days, must go and dig them out, clean them up and forget about buying water anymore.

far queue
18th November 2006, 15:51

How much would you drink?I use a 15 litre Ground Effect pack with a bladder. The bladder holds 2 litres, and I usually drink 1 to 2 litres depending on the temperature and the workout. The rest of the pack either has a change of gloves and some warmer clothing if there's a possibility of the weather turning to shit or it's empty so I can stuff the liners from my jacket into it as the day heats up if that's likely. If it's an all day ride away from food shops, my lunch will be in the pack too.

I also carry a bumbag worn at the front, that carries my tool kit and food bars to snack on during the day. Get the bumbag from DAS - good size, good quality, reasonable price.

laRIKin
18th November 2006, 16:07
Most guys get away with about 1-2L's of water for a day ride.
Mine carry's over 2L's and it's only on a hot long day do I fill it right up and drink the lot.
I know that you should drink more, but it can be hard to find time between the bump's to let go of the bars and grab the tube and stuff it in your mouth.

Now some guys do not like to carry gear on their backs some they have a Hydo pack only and carry tools in a bum bag.

I carry gear in a bum bags (tools) and other stuff (bits and bob's) in the Hydo pack.

It's horses for course's, but I would get a mid to large size Hydo pack with lots of pockets to put gear in because it makes it easier to find.
And then later if needed you can get a bum bag as well if you want to carry more gear.

I do also have a larger pack (like aday pack) but it can be to big and hard to find things as it all goes to the bottom.
And I can not wear my bum bag with it.

Ghost Lemur
18th November 2006, 16:18
The Ground Effects Reservoir Dog (http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-RES-BAG.htm) is one of the one's on my list.

Along with a the G40 and G35 from Torpedo7.com (http://www.torpedo7.com/page/bikes/CTGY/hydration_systems-accessories).

CamelBak (http://www.camelbak.com) have quite a large range, but the HAWG and MULE seem to be the most popular models.

I also came across a company called Ultimate Direction (http://www.ultimatedirection.com/index.html). According to their contacts page they have an NZ distributor, so I've emailed the distributor to find out who the NZ retailers are.

terbang
18th November 2006, 16:26

I know someone here that'll have the answer for ya.

Over to you Rick..!

NZHog
18th November 2006, 17:45
I have a drink holder,hey I'm a JAFA & a HD rider gota have my coffee. I use a water bottle in that.

On longer rides I use one of my three Camelbaks I just put some ice in it in the morning & sip it during the day. I have a ventilated jacket which is a highly recommend piece of kit,hey Chistmas IS coming LOL.

Motu
18th November 2006, 18:14
I like my Camelback Rev,it was the first motorcycle specific one they made,although I don't really know what is different about it,maybe the thick rubber on the flap.It holds 2 litres which is just the right amount for a long hot day,colder and shorter days I don't drink as much,but it's hard to guess the right amount so full is near enough.

I like to carry a fair amount of stuff,but not on me.So my latest stuff is pretty good but have only used it once on the Kaipara 200.I have the Wolfman Enduro Tankbag and Wolfman number plate carryall.The tankbag is small but holds a camera,hip flask of bourbon and a few other esentials,a map pockets.It covers the gas cap and has to be moved to the side,it is a little in the way when standing,but ok for adventure rides,serious trail riding it might not be so good.The carryall fits above the headlamp and can hold a lot,but I wouldn't put too much heavy stuff in it....but gloves,food a few tools.I think they are going to work out really well.

laRIKin
18th November 2006, 20:20
By the way I would like to add that I use a Camelback Mule and it seems to be well made and with the big opening in the bladder it can be easier to keep clean and full.
And I can load it up to the point that it gets quite heavy.

It's a bit of topic but bear in mind.
A good Enduro jacket is good as well, as you can jam light smaller stuff in to the pockets as well.
As well you can get a fender bag to carry gear so you do not have to carry it all on your body.

clint640
20th November 2006, 13:30
Good comments above. Get a 90 deg sucky bit for easier use under your helmet.

Cheers
Clint

laRIKin
20th November 2006, 17:02
Good comments above. Get a 90 deg sucky bit for easier use under your helmet.

Cheers
Clint

I tried one a couple of times and found the straight one easier to get into the mouth.
It could of been because that was what I was use to.
So if you want to swap G/L I will, as I carry it as a spare as I have lost a few in the bush. You get a wet leg to let you know that it's gone.

Zukin
20th November 2006, 19:46
Hi

Mine came with my Dririder Jacket!
Damn good too, holds quite a bit of fluid, and slips away in the back into its own enclosure, you dont even know its there!!

At Cold kiwi I also figured to fill it with beer too :yes: Saved carrying all those cans aye Clint :Punk:

And last weekend it was soooo hot here I actually put ice in it, it stayed cold for a long time and felt good on my back too.

Cheers

far queue
20th November 2006, 20:25
You get a wet leg to let you know that it's gone.Uh ha, prostate problems huh?

Mine came with my Dririder Jacket!
Damn good too, holds quite a bit of fluid, and slips away in the back into its own enclosure, you dont even know its there!!I assume you're talking about the Dririder Rallycross. I find with a full bladder in the back of the jacket it pulls the back of the jacket down and the front of the jacket up into my throat. It gets better as the bladder empties, and it also helps having a bumbag on to hold the jacket in place.

sAsLEX
20th November 2006, 20:32
I was using a camel back holding about 3 litres on exercise recently and was going through about 2 or 3 in a day, so it depends how much work you are doing to how much fluid you will need

Zukin
20th November 2006, 22:22
Uh ha, prostate problems huh?

I assume you're talking about the Dririder Rallycross. I find with a full bladder in the back of the jacket it pulls the back of the jacket down and the front of the jacket up into my throat. It gets better as the bladder empties, and it also helps having a bumbag on to hold the jacket in place.

Yep your right there, but when you have a Keg in the front, another 3 litres in the back doesnt bug you too much :laugh:

SDU
21st November 2006, 12:32
For hot weather I find if you freeze the 1/2 filled bladder & top it up before leaving it stays cool for most of the day.

Maybe it'll work for beer too

Ghost Lemur
21st November 2006, 21:54
Went in to RRSports today to have a look at the Camelbak range that's advertised on their website. But they didn't have them in the Colombo St store that I could see.

They did have the Dakine Nomad (http://www.rrsport.co.nz/product_info.php?cPath=23_126_171&products_id=1535&osCsid=418b5e3e834dcb8384a992896240c9aa). Looks bloody small tightened up and hanging on the rack, but supposedly has a total capacity of 19 litres, with 3 of those being the reservoir. Looks good with some nice added features (lined sunglasses pocket, ability to strap a helmet to the outside). Plus it's $10 cheaper than the MULE which only has a 9-odd litre storage capacity, and much cheaper than the HAWG (which is the step up from the MULE with 15 litres storage).

Might go have a second look this weekend and verify that the storage figures on it are correct. But it's the current front runner on my list.

far queue
22nd November 2006, 07:59
Went in to RRSports today to have a look at the Camelbak range that's advertised on their website. But they didn't have them in the Colombo St store that I could see.Try Rebel Sports, they used to have a good range of Camelbaks, I assume they still do.

bert_is_evil
22nd November 2006, 13:36
I got a cheap one from torpedo7 to use for trail running and mountain biking, the red colour came out of it and ruined several shirts and the bladder only lasted a couple of weeks before it emptied itself down my back at an inopportune moment.
In other words pay the extra bucks for a decent brand
Also look for one with a large opening so you can get your hand in to clean it.

Ghost Lemur
23rd November 2006, 07:26
Thanks BiE. I'll cross the Torpedo7 off my list.

Wolf
23rd November 2006, 09:25
I got a cheap one from torpedo7 to use for trail running and mountain biking, the red colour came out of it and ruined several shirts and the bladder only lasted a couple of weeks before it emptied itself down my back at an inopportune moment.
In other words pay the extra bucks for a decent brand
Also look for one with a large opening so you can get your hand in to clean it.
Thanks for the warning. I was looking at some of the hydration packs in Doyle's Sports here in Hamihole and was recoiling at horror at the price tag but you've successfully put me off looking for cheaper alternatives. Hadn't thought about the cleaning issues but I'll bear it in mind from now on. Cheers.

Ignoranus (n): A person who's both stupid and an asshole
"...both stupid and an arsehole", surely - BDOTGNZA

SDU
23rd November 2006, 12:34
When looking at the packs awhile back I noticed that some of the hiking/cycling ones were not made with as heavier a fabric and did not look as robust in the stitching as some of the brands made pacifically for dirt bikes / MTB.
My fox one has taken the knocks well over the years & I stuff the poor thing with heaps.

far queue
23rd November 2006, 15:08
Also look for one with a large opening so you can get your hand in to clean it.I've never cleaned one yet. I only ever put water in them, no additives, and always keep them stored in the freezer. The cold temps stop anything from growing, and I've been using my oldest one for about 7 years now.

bert_is_evil
23rd November 2006, 16:20
I've never cleaned one yet. I only ever put water in them, no additives, and always keep them stored in the freezer. The cold temps stop anything from growing, and I've been using my oldest one for about 7 years now.

Hey that's a good idea, never thought of freezing it

bert_is_evil
23rd November 2006, 16:23
"...both stupid and an arsehole", surely - BDOTGNZA

Duely noted and corrected, damn american english creeping into vocab:brick:

warewolf
24th November 2006, 13:05
Been using a Reservoir Dog for a few years now; very happy with it. Chose it because I figured an mtb pack designed for an active ride would be suitable for trail riding. Works well, carries all I need for a day ride (tools, food, water, first aid kit, jumper etc). It's big enough to carry gear for two people on a day tramp, but small enough not to be cumbersome.

Re: hydration bladders themselves, I've destroyed three platypus bladders. They've all developed pinholes and leaked. Despite being hard on them (they get used as a hot water bottle when camping, and are often folded up and stuffed in a non-hydration pack) I'm not the only one, so the NZ distributor is replacing them..."lifetime guarantee" it says on the packet. I've now got a camelbak and have heard they're the only durable brand on the market.

Baby utensil sterilizing tablets are supposed to be good for warding off the nasties.

Generally I'll drink less than 1L per day. More heat, more work and consumption goes up. That's with suitable cafe stops throughout the day. Summer enduros can need 2L per 90 minutes.