PDA

View Full Version : Headlight doesn't light up much of road?

Lucy
18th November 2006, 20:06
Does anyone else with a Ginny find that the headlight (on dip) doesnt light up much of the road? I see in the manual it can be adjusted but as biking is new to me I wondered if it was just normal for a bike. Seems to stop in a straight line (the light that is).

98tls
18th November 2006, 20:09
Funny that....same as my TL.................:innocent:i think you will find its normal.....if its out of whack they should pick it up when you get your next WOF.........

Ixion
18th November 2006, 20:11
Probably normal. Most motorcycle lights, small ones especially, are crap.

Carrots, that's the secret. Eat lots of carrots. You can try carrying a torch.

crashe
18th November 2006, 20:13
or try changing your light bulb to the "Brighter bulb" type.
That makes a huge difference.

TonyB
18th November 2006, 20:18
Funny that....same as my TL.................:innocent:i think you will find its normal.....if its out of whack they should pick it up when you get your next WOF.........
My experience would suggest that they couldn't give a shit if your light is too pointing too low, only if its too high.

A quick fix- get a xenon bulb, a standard one, not one of the ones that gives bright white or blue light (they colour the bulb glass to achieve the colour, so it looses output). I have used these and they are DEFINITELY brighter.

A less quick fix- get relays fitted for low and high beam, with a big fat wire direct from the battery to the bulb + xenon bulb.

Erm, just a thought... you're not using a tinted visor for night riding are you?

98tls
18th November 2006, 20:23
yea.........hence the "should"............

Lucy
18th November 2006, 20:26
Cheers thanks. I will check out the brighter bulbs for sure. I wondered about it because the light ends in such a straight across line. Might try adjusting it as well. Not using a tinted visor, no sir!

TonyB
18th November 2006, 20:32
one thing tho- putting a brighter bulb in won't help much if the headlight is pointing too low

skidMark
18th November 2006, 20:49
in agreement here gn 250's are well known for thier shocking headlight bulbs which are low wattage and rubbish quality take the bulb to repco or somewhere like that and get one to match in a 55 watt if you can

you don't want too high or youll melt your wiring loom

i can come round one night and take your bulb out for you if you like and ill go track down one?

it's pretty easy to take out yourself though

just two screws one either side of the headlight,

send me a private massage if you need help as i live in panmure so not too far away

crashe
18th November 2006, 20:49
Pop into a bike shop or a testing station on Monday and ask if you can check that your light is set up at the correct height saying that you think it may have been knocked etc....

It will take a couple of seconds to do this... and then with a screwdriver adjust it there and then.

If it is set correctly and still not how you like it then go and get a 'brighter bulb' but just remember to be careful on handling it when you put it in...
It has instructions on the cardboard wrapping.

Lucy
22nd November 2006, 22:09
Hi Skidmark thanks for the very kind offer - what nice people bikers are! But I'll give it a go myself I think, it would be good practice for me to get used to doing stuff like that. Cheers.

davereid
23rd November 2006, 19:54
Hi Lucy

If you get a new bulb, dont get one substantially more powerful (measured in WATTS) than the one you have. This is because bigger bulbs draw more current, and you may start to stress other parts of the electrical system by drawing more power than the manufacturer allowed for. Also, bigger wattage bulbs run hotter, and things might start to melt !

If you touch the glass of a halogen bulb it will pick up oil from your hands, and let you down on a dark night far from home, so try not to touch the glass !

If you set the height of your light yourself, shine it on a wall and set it to be just low of horizontal on high beam. But be sure you are sitting on the bike when you do it, as the bike will change angle with your weight.

Lucy
9th December 2006, 07:06
Well, my lazy nature saw me do nothing (except stick to riding in daylight) but on the very day I was taking it in for it's 1000k service the bulb blew completely. So they put a new one in for me (charged me for it though - not too impressed) and the difference is enormous. It lights up a lot more of the road (and further in front) and the light is white, not yellow! It's like getting a new battery for a dolphin torch. Which was lucky as I was riding home in the dark that day. So it's nice to know I wasn't imagining things.

Mom
9th December 2006, 07:27
Well, my lazy nature saw me do nothing (except stick to riding in daylight) but on the very day I was taking it in for it's 1000k service the bulb blew completely. So they put a new one in for me (charged me for it though - not too impressed) and the difference is enormous. It lights up a lot more of the road (and further in front) and the light is white, not yellow! It's like getting a new battery for a dolphin torch. Which was lucky as I was riding home in the dark that day. So it's nice to know I wasn't imagining things.

The new supplied bulb on the GN's are crap for sure, probably the only good thing is they dont last long, the replacement price nearly blew me away when mine went! One thing to watch tho, the lens on the headlight has "lines" on it that help direct the beam of light, on my GN the glass was loose and it used to just please itself in which direction it shone, used to adjust it all the time......never did get round to Blu-tak as some suggested to hold it in place

davereid
9th December 2006, 08:44
In another thread Cobalt fitted a 55w halogen bulb to his GN. Its providing great lighting, and he has checked the electrics, they are coping with the extra load and heat just fine. Good lighting is really important, specially on those wet moonless nights when you really wish you had a car, and its still 50km home !

Kendog
9th December 2006, 09:35

We had exactly the same problem with our GN, and so have many many others.

The supplied bulb is rubbish, and when ours blew and was replaced, the bike shop said they generally swap bulbs prior to selling them new.

In our current bikes we have just updated to xenon +50 bulbs. They are the same wattage but are so much whiter it is not funny. When approaching the bike now it really stands out which is important. I would recommend getting these bulbs to all bikers.

classic zed
19th December 2006, 14:27
I fitted an HID system to my bike, it makes so much difference, its like riding in daylight. HID's are the same as you find in most late model high spec cars, Merc's, BMW's that sort of thing.

How does it work?

When a voltage of 23,000 Volts is applied across the HID gas capsule, it initiates an arc of ionised Xenon gas, which heats the enclosed metallic salts to vaporisation point. Once vaporisation of the salts has occurred, then the HID capsule produces its full light output.

It only takes around 4 seconds to initiate the ignition process. Once this has happened and the HID capsule has reached full intensity, the igniter automatically shuts off.

The HID inverter then maintains the correct operating maintenance voltage, drawing only 35 Watts of power - yet producing 3 times the light output of traditional 55 - 60 Watt Halogen wire filament bulbs.

Not the best pictures but it does show the difference, my Z1300 is on dipped beam while the TLR is on main beam.

The kit is not cheap, but in my opinion worth it for night riding and for that matter being seen during the day
:msn-wink:

surfer
19th December 2006, 14:47
I fitted an HID system to my bike, it makes so much difference, its like riding in daylight. HID's are the same as you find in most late model high spec cars, Merc's, BMW's that sort of thing.

Does it do anything to the wiring like overheat it and cause it to melt? Will a 12 volt battery run this ok?

classic zed
19th December 2006, 16:06
Does it do anything to the wiring like overheat it and cause it to melt? Will a 12 volt battery run this ok?

The HID system comes with all the pieces required to install it, it includes the inverter, I just run mine off a relay so as not to put a strain on the dip switch and its fine

xwhatsit
20th December 2006, 02:20
How do you find WOFs with that on?

surfer
21st December 2006, 08:38
The HID system comes with all the pieces required to install it, it includes the inverter, I just run mine off a relay so as not to put a strain on the dip switch and its fine

What's the damage to the wallet for one of these?