PDA

View Full Version : Normal to see sparks from SP-cord?

degrom
18th November 2006, 20:51
Is it normal for a connected spark-plug cord to makes sparks agianst you tank or your finger if you bring it close to the cord?

Motu gave me advise to tune the carbs and it involved unplugging one of the spark plugs. When I did that the cord it self started shocking me also.(The cord,not the front that is connected to the plug's)

Should I replace the cords?

(Never thought that electricity could go through rubber!!!)

98tls
18th November 2006, 21:29
Is it normal for a connected spark-plug cord to makes sparks agianst you tank or your finger if you bring it close to the cord?

Motu gave me advise to tune the carbs and it involved unplugging one of the spark plugs. When I did that the cord it self started shocking me also.(The cord,not the front that is connected to the plug's)

Should I replace the cords?

(Never thought that electricity could go through rubber!!!) i remember as a youg fella the old man showing me how to check the spark plug.......ie take out and kick bike over whilst holding plug against frame....dont think you should be getting shock from lead....unless its because its not grounded...........

degrom
18th November 2006, 21:44
i remember as a youg fella the old man showing me how to check the spark plug.......ie take out and kick bike over whilst holding plug against frame....dont think you should be getting shock from lead....unless its because its not grounded...........

What I was doing, was pulling the plug out will the bike was running. Was holding onto the cord and then it started shocked me. I was not close to the connection that plugs onto the spark-plug...

I also noticed that the other spark plug cord was making small sparks against the tank while the bike was running. (Plugged in normally.) Also if you bring your finger close to the working cord is starts forming a small spark that you can only see in the dark.

I don't think that is correct ?!?

98tls
18th November 2006, 21:47
Am no Auto electrician mate but yea..........have to agree thats not right...i suspect a dodgey lead/leads but someone who knows will chime in for sure...it will be very easily/cheaply fixed am sure.....

98tls
18th November 2006, 21:50
just re read your post...if you take it out whilst running then you will be the ground....ie...like touching an electric fence.....still though the other lead shouldnt be arcing.

Motu
18th November 2006, 22:01
Sounds like you've found your problem - replace both ign leads.

Scouse
19th November 2006, 05:24
your leads are tracking this should be a no brainer leads are not exeactly the most expensive thing on your bike to replace

degrom
19th November 2006, 14:17
Thanks for everyone's input... I have replaced the 1981 leads with brand new Bosch ones. Was really easy and cost me $12 for the two leads at Supercheap.

The front cylinder exhaust feel's a bit stronger but she is still running like pig at idle speeds. But I will sort it... Need to play a bit more with the carbs.

Thanks agian!!!

paturoa
19th November 2006, 15:55
if the spark has been weak the plugs may be a bit fouled