PDA

View Full Version : Trying to remove Alternator rotor

dhunt
19th November 2006, 16:05
Does any one round Taranki have a puller that would work to pull this rotor out (See pic 1)? Or failing that could make me up something like picture two & three.

There are three holes in the rotor which bolts can be screwed into but when I use a normal three legged puller on bolts that stick out inch out they just bend and the rotor stays put. So I'm right out of ideas on how to get this stupid thing out at present. Bike is a GSXR400 if that makes any difference.

nadroj
19th November 2006, 20:26
Just make one like pic 3 but use longer bolts into mag & use the centre nut on the engine side of bracket - negates welding. When it has a little presure on it tap around it with a soft hammer.

Ixion
19th November 2006, 21:25
I needed something almost exactly like that to pull the mag rotor off the GT500. I bought a "balance shaft puller" from repco, cheapish, about $35.

Basically three arms with slots and bolts go in the slots, and a big centre bolt . Screw the bolts into the rotor holes tighten the big centre bolt down tight and give it a good sharp whack on the end with the BLOODY BIG HAMMER. Rotor pops off (literally , it usually flys off enough that it falls on the floor makes a loud crack ).

I think Ive seen them in Supercheap also.

Shaun
20th November 2006, 08:18
The inside of the rotar should be threaded? If so, just get a Bolt, wind it in untill tight, and put a ring spanner on the bolt and hit with a hammer, it will shock it loose

dhunt
20th November 2006, 19:33
Well it's finally off.

I ended up buying a puller from Repco like Ixion suggested and after making a lot of use of the persuasion tool it came off. Thanks guys for your help.