PDA

View Full Version : Wellington to Taupo 1 Day!!!

Freakshow
20th November 2006, 08:13
On thursday I have take the day off and all I have to do is get to Taupo.

I need some ideas on a more enjoyable ride that boring old SH1.:scooter:

Plan so far!

Welly up SH2 over the tukas
through the wiarapa and over the Pahiatua track into Ashurst and on to Feilding.

Now I have been told about the Tihape - Fielding road and not 100% about where that is or what that is like.

Through the desert road around the lake :done:

any other suggestion, advice.

Thanks in advance :yes:

skelstar
20th November 2006, 08:16
Vinegar Hill is between Feilding and Mangaweka...pretty good diversion. I don't know much about the route around further inland than that.

I would avoid the Desert Rd though. Lots cops...boring and straight. Do the extra kms and go up through Ohakune, Nat Park. Even more kms and go around the western side of Lake Taupo maybe?

Kendog
20th November 2006, 09:07
We're heading up to Auckland on Thursday, if you want some company we could tag along, but we won't be going fast as we'll be packed up and have a fair way to go, so will be leaving fairly early. Anyway, the offer's there.

Freakshow
20th November 2006, 09:49
We're heading up to Auckland on Thursday, if you want some company we could tag along, but we won't be going fast as we'll be packed up and have a fair way to go, so will be leaving fairly early. Anyway, the offer's there.

Great Idea!

Only problem is I have a few errans I need to do on the way mainly in the manawatu.

But if you want I would be keen to join you through to Ashhurst.

Freakshow
20th November 2006, 13:25
Vinegar Hill is between Feilding and Mangaweka...pretty good diversion. I don't know much about the route around further inland than that.

I would avoid the Desert Rd though. Lots cops...boring and straight. Do the extra kms and go up through Ohakune, Nat Park. Even more kms and go around the western side of Lake Taupo maybe?

So vinegar hill back on to SH1 to Waioru left to Ohakune, National Park etc and the back side of the lake. Sounds good to me I guess you are right as there is only of few km of fun in the desert and the rest is straight... :Punk:

skelstar
20th November 2006, 13:55
Have a look at the map though...the western side of LT is quite a detour. Not 'real' twisty but lots of fast sweepers etc...not a lot of cars either.

Bear in mind that the Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge is on Saturday, so they might be putting out stuff for that.

Freakshow
21st November 2006, 15:20
Well Plan now is:

Welly, Tukas, Masterton, Alfredton, Eketahuna, Woodville, Saddle Road, Ashhurst, Feilding, Vinegar Hill, Waioru, Ohakune, National Park, West side of lake and into Taupo.

Now fingers crossed for some :sunny:

And yes I know about the Cycle race as I am helping a mate in the race.

Will update when I get back

skelstar
21st November 2006, 18:11
Good stuff. Reckon the Alfredton diversion will keep ya busy. Post a trip report when you get back.

mattp
25th November 2006, 19:56
I'll be doing the same trip a week Thursday and would love any feedback you have :yes: Also if there is any speed traps that I should watch out for you could PM them to me.

Looking forward to being back in Wellington a week Saturday :Punk:

Anyone know a place where I can rent a bike for the day? Wanting to do some filming but at the same time not wanting to lay the old mans bike down :scooter: