PDA

View Full Version : How not to change your chain and sprockets

k14
13th July 2004, 18:17
Well, today was interesting to say the least.

Since my bike failed it's wof because the chain was stuffed, I needed a new chain and set of sprockets. After getting the new parts, in 520 pitch which is what I was replacing the old 428 chain and sprockets with, I thought I would be smart and save myself $50 and do it myself. Kickaha was good enough to offer to help me at his work, him being the boss and all he gets to do what he likes all day :whistle:

So at around 2 i arrived with all the parts. After getting all the old chain and sprockets off fine we put the two chains next to each other to determine the length to cut the new chain to. After grinding off 11 links off the chain and fitting the new sprockets we slid the chain round the front sprocket to put the link in and finish the job. Uhh ohh, hmmm, it is 1 link too short, :argh:, we didn't take into account that the new sprockets are a little bigger than the old ones :laugh:. So off I go to the shop to get another link so that I can extend the chain by 1 link and have 2 link pieces one after another. So I get back, only cost $3.50, and put it together and go about getting the clip that keeps the link in onto the two studs. Using a pair of needle nose pliers, they slip and cut about 3mm off the end of my left index finger, damn sharp pliers, after a few obsenities and wrapping it up in 6 plasters, kickaha managed to get that on. Ok, 1 down 1 to go. So we start putting the next link piece in, wasn't as easy as the first, but we eventually got it lined up to put the clip in. Hmmm, not good again, after some rangiing, we managed to break the clip :argh: . So off I go again to the bike shop hoping they have 1 more link piece, luckily they did. Got back and then finally managed to get it together right :done:

At long last, it was finished. So I headed off to the bike shop, for the 4th time today, and got my warrant.

Not sure if it is very good leaving 2 links in a row, so I might try and get one riveted onto there, think I need a special tool for that though.

Big big thanks to kickaha, couldn't have stuffed it up so much without you :laugh:. Probably would have stuffed it up more actually.

So if anyone needs their chains and sprockets changed, I'll do it for only $25 :eek: , I am a pro now.

Firefight
13th July 2004, 18:23
Well, today was interesting to say the least.

Since my bike failed it's wof because the chain was stuffed, I needed a new chain and set of sprockets. After getting the new parts, in 520 pitch which is what I was replacing the old 428 chain and sprockets with, I thought I would be smart and save myself $50 and do it myself. Kickaha was good enough to offer to help me at his work, him being the boss and all he gets to do what he likes all day :whistle:

So at around 2 i arrived with all the parts. After getting all the old chain and sprockets off fine we put the two chains next to each other to determine the length to cut the new chain to. After grinding off 11 links off the chain and fitting the new sprockets we slid the chain round the front sprocket to put the link in and finish the job. Uhh ohh, hmmm, it is 1 link too short, :argh: :laugh: . So off I go to the shop to get another link so that I can extend the chain by 1 link and have 2 link pieces one after another. So I get back, only cost $3.50, and put it together and go about getting the clip that keeps the link in onto the two studs. Using a pair of needle nose pliers, they slip and cut about 3mm off the end of my left index finger, damn sharp pliers, after a few obsenities and wrapping it up in toilet paper, kickaha managed to get that on. Ok, 1 down 1 to go. So we start putting the next link piece in, wasn't as easy as the first, but we eventually got it lined up to put the clip in. Hmmm, not good again, after some rangiing, we managed to break the clip :argh: . So off I go again to the bike shop hoping they have 1 more link piece, luckily they did. Got back and then finally managed to get it together right :done:

At long last, it was finished. So I headed off to the bike shop, for the 4th time today, and got my warrant.

Not sure if it is very good leaving 2 links in a row, so I might try and get one riveted onto there, think I need a special tool for that though.

Big big thanks to kickaha, couldn't have stuffed it up so much without you :laugh:. Probably would have stuffed it up more actually.

So if anyone needs their chains and sprockets changed, I'll do it for only $25 :eek: , I am a pro now.

Only way to learn, good on you for a having a go, now thats another skill you have mastered.

F/F

FROSTY
13th July 2004, 18:38
Good onya dude for getting into it. How does the bike feel after all that effort?

Kickaha
13th July 2004, 19:03
Damn hoped I'd get away without being mentioned :whistle:

I haven't ever had so much of a problem with such a simple job,thought I was going to have to roll K14 out into the street so he could bleed to death somewhere else rather than have to fill in lengthy reports and explain what non company personnel were doing working on the premises.

k14
13th July 2004, 19:20
Good onya dude for getting into it. How does the bike feel after all that effort?

The bike feels so different, both a mix of the wheel base shortening by about 3-4cm and the new chain. It is so much better now.

Next on the list is balancing the carbs, this weekend. Should be able to do that in about 6 hours or so. :whistle:

What?
13th July 2004, 20:13
Kin ell mate - who was trying to charge 50 NZ pesos to fit a chain & sprockets?? That's WAY over the top. Places like cycletreads (and heaps of others) do it for free...

Wenier
13th July 2004, 22:33
hey k14 id watch it with those clip links cus my 250 had a habit of spitting the links and id always b lookin at my chain and notice it had done it again. Its much better to get a rivet one cus it cant get off. Apparently (this is wut i was told) my 250 would spit the links that used clips cus of the torque or something??

White trash
14th July 2004, 07:38
hey k14 id watch it with those clip links cus my 250 had a habit of spitting the links and id always b lookin at my chain and notice it had done it again. Its much better to get a rivet one cus it cant get off. Apparently (this is wut i was told) my 250 would spit the links that used clips cus of the torque or something??

Ummm.... that's my 250 now sonny.

Seriously though, only use rivet links if you can. You dont need special tools. Just a pair of vice grips, a ball peen hammer and something solid to use as a drift behind the chain.

k14
14th July 2004, 09:58
I was talking to the guy in the bike shop and he said that the links would be sweet as. He uses a clip link on his ZXR400 race bike and he has never had a problem. A 250 doesn't have enough torque to stuff one apparantly, they are only really required on the 600's and up.

But I am definately going to try and get 1 rivet link so that there is only one clip on the chain.

moko
17th July 2004, 05:39
Well done on getting it sorted yourself K14.I`d say I`m pretty useful with the spanners these days but that`s as a result of years of trial and error and some pretty amazing(looking back)total balls-ups.Next time you need to do the same job you`ll fly through it,you`ll learn from the set-backs you overcame.I`ve got a mate takes about half an hour farting around adjusting his chain,takes me a couple of minutes,only difference is experience on my part while he`s new to biking,given time he`ll be able to do it in his tea break and still have time for a cuppa and a look at the paper as well.

Gixxer 4 ever
17th July 2004, 08:57
Its much better to get a rivet one cus it cant get off. Apparently (this is wut i was told) my 250 would spit the links that used clips cus of the torque or something??That is true but they are hard to get fitted with out the proper tool. Yes I use a ball pen hammer but you still need a good backing block. If you are fitting an X or O ring ...even harder to get the gap set for them.

Gixxer 4 ever
17th July 2004, 09:05
Ummm.... that's my 250 now sonny.

Seriously though, only use rivet links if you can. You dont need special tools. Just a pair of vice grips, a ball peen hammer and something solid to use as a drift behind the chain.Ummmm I would be a bit careful on that. Remember these guys managed to hurt them selves putting a stranded clip on. :doctor:
Just kidding :rolleyes: and it is good to see you all doing this work yourself. But be careful putting the top link on with vice grips. If it turns side on even a little bit when you are fitting it it will create a lip on the prongs of the backing plate and then the top link will not fit over the lip. Makes for a long day. :argh:

k14
17th July 2004, 09:32
Ummmm I would be a bit careful on that. Remember these guys managed to hurt them selves putting a stranded clip on. :doctor:
Just kidding :rolleyes: and it is good to see you all doing this work yourself. But be careful putting the top link on with vice grips. If it turns side on even a little bit when you are fitting it it will create a lip on the prongs of the backing plate and then the top link will not fit over the lip. Makes for a long day. :argh:

Haha, yeah fingers nearly better now.

Yeah, there is only one way to learn and that is from experience. I got the clip that was slightly bent yesterday so that is all sweet now.

Now today is balance carb day, lets see what i can fuck up shall we :laugh: Better watch my other fingers.