PDA

View Full Version : Not ALL Cops are arseholes

WarlockNZ
20th November 2006, 10:13
so here's the story,

I'm tooling down the north western this morning, splitting, as you do, and get just past partiki and see the blue and yellow in the middle lane.

Nip into the middle lane one car behind the officer and sit there going "fuck" .. now i'm stuck in bloodly traffic.

Then what do i happen to notice?? .. the cop is telling me he wants a word... crap .. so i ride up next to the patrol car (in moving traffic I might add) and the officers proceeds to tell me that if I want to move through traffic (read split) that would be fine, as long as I do it in a care full and safe manner and do it slowly, he also tells me to not ride like an arse.

I of course comment that I never ride like an arse and he tells me that he saw me coming and that i was moving a bit fast and to slow down the speed at which i go through traffic.

Woops!! .. lol

So i thank the officer and move off into traffic and continue on my way (at a slow and care full pace :).

So there you have it, not ALL cops are assholes.

boomer
20th November 2006, 10:15
morale of the story? You ride like an ass?

heheh well done that man

McJim
20th November 2006, 10:16
Also - if you're going to ride like an ARSE (before the BDOTGNZA get here) it helps if you do it on something less conspicuous than a banana yellow Korean:rofl:

WarlockNZ
20th November 2006, 10:18
Also - if you're going to ride like an ARSE (before the BDOTGNZA get here) it helps if you do it on something less conspicuous than a banana yellow Korean:rofl:

Point taken.. i have changed my ass for arse .. lol .. and its not banana yellow ... its electric mango ... ha ha ha

Whynot
20th November 2006, 10:19
I split past a cop on friday too, he was in the middle lane on a gradual left hander so i didnt see him until i was right up his arse.
Thought ... what the hell and just kept going, guess i was ok though as he didnt seem to mind

McJim
20th November 2006, 10:24
its electric mango ... ha ha ha

Tell me you're kidding...please tell me that's a joke and not the blurb they put on their sales docs.

WarlockNZ
20th November 2006, 10:28
Tell me you're kidding...please tell me that's a joke and not the blurb they put on their sales docs.

I kid you not .. ha ha

http://www.motorcycles.pro/Motorcycles/HyosungSportsMotorcycleGT250R/tabid/207/Default.aspx

look for the following half way down the page.

The GT250R
AVAILABLE IN HOT CHILLI RED, ELECTRIC MANGO YELLOW & 8-BALL BLACK

Edbear
20th November 2006, 10:52

No wonder he saw you coming!!!!:laugh:

Good on him, though. A friendly word of warning can do a lot of good, more so than if he'd ticketed you, eh?:Police:

craigs288
20th November 2006, 12:19
Ass-uming that you aren't riding like an arse, what would be the charge/fine for lane filtering/splitting, should one of our estimed law enforcement officials decide to take offence to our asses cruising past on two wheels?

I'm sure most of them don't care if you are going relatively slow and carefully.
Between Waterview and Te Atatu at 5pm on any given weeknight, traffic doing a reasonably constant 30kmh and a motorcycle lane splitting at 40-50kmh.
How practical would it be for a police-person to expect hundreds of motorists to get out of the way, for what would be a fairly small fine.

Unless lane filtering/splitting generates good income, they would probably be better off waiting around a blind corner at the bottom of a hill.
Get their 5 infringement notices out of the way, and then lounge around in a nice new car all day. Sweet

Dai
20th November 2006, 12:28
In sticking to the 10 characxter rule I would hesitate to postulate that the converse is also true

McJim
20th November 2006, 12:39
There are threads on here that cover this I can't be bothered finding the links and if you read this then probably neither can you.

If you lanesplit - indicate for 3 seconds before you commence your "maneouvre" and then ensure that you do not exceed 20kph more than the traffic on your right (technically you are overtaking the traffic on your left and you should be between the traffic on your left and the lane markers...but this is impractical as not all cars drive in the left of their lane)

And that's pretty much it - in most circumstances a zealous police officer will be able to find something to charge you with. I suppose it's testament to their self control that we don't all get charged everytime we're on the road.

Gremlin
20th November 2006, 15:03
If you lanesplit - indicate for 3 seconds before you commence your "maneouvre" and then ensure that you do not exceed 20kph more than the traffic on your right (technically you are overtaking the traffic on your left and you should be between the traffic on your left and the lane markers...but this is impractical as not all cars drive in the left of their lane)

...in most circumstances a zealous police officer will be able to find something to charge you with. I suppose it's testament to their self control that we don't all get charged everytime we're on the road.
McJim has pretty much got it, and he's accurate when he says its been done to death as regards the technicalities of splitting :zzzz: I won't bother writing the other bits missed, either...

20kph... afaik, there is no written rule about that, just "commonsense"

Warlock, doing it sensibly, with a legal bike, the cop should give you no grief at all. The legal bike bit is for when he does try something, and pulls you over to try to write a list when you point out you actually know the rules...

Fub@r
20th November 2006, 15:05
You cant hide on your Banana Boat Warlock :dodge: At least now we can call you mango instead if you want :Punk:

I used to move back in to the lanes when I saw cops, mainly because I feel more of a target with my Lemon plate on the back. Now I don't even bother I split past them, slower than I would normally and the cops don't even blink.

Think cops are more interested in the ones lane splitting using whole motorway and travelling 100+ whilst doing it

gamgee
20th November 2006, 15:07
mainly because I feel more of a target with my Lemon plate on the back

I think you'll find it's actually electric mango!
Or at least according to hyosung

gijoe1313
20th November 2006, 15:22
In hindsight, we have to get in behind to support WarlockNZ - raring to go! Back posted threads are all fine and well, but we know we can't be arsed to go search them :innocent:

'sides - we all know most people would love to lanesplit if they could only gee up the courage to ride two wheels :devil2: Kudos to all those who practice this on a daily basis! Ride safely out there ... and remember, they are all looking to stamping a biker imprint on their bodywork somewhere! :sick:

Nice one ... electric mango indeed ... what next ... semi-conducted blue with a highlight of whiffster scented orange? :scratch: Or (apologies to Croft) Sun-set Orange!

Whynot
20th November 2006, 15:25
In hindsight, we have to get in behind to support WarlockNZ - raring to go! Back posted threads are all fine and well, but we know we can't be arsed to go search them :innocent:

'sides - we all know most people would love to lanesplit if they could only gee up the courage to ride two wheels :devil2: Kudos to all those who practice this on a daily basis! Ride safely out there ... and remember, they are all looking to stamping a biker imprint on their bodywork somewhere! :sick:

Nice one ... electric mango indeed ... what next ... semi-conducted blue with a highlight of whiffster scented orange? :scratch: Or (apologies to Croft) Sun-set Orange!

Kermit Green anyone ?

McJim
20th November 2006, 15:25

I thought more of "A Clockwork Orange" WarlockNZ doesn't look much like Malcom MacDowell though.

Gremlin
20th November 2006, 15:26
Back posted threads are all fine and well, but we know we can't be arsed to go search them :innocent:
I can't be arsed posting the same thing 10 times over... not to mention the total waste of paid-for capacity on a server...

Be here a while... you'll see what the longer term members mean...

silverado
20th November 2006, 15:51
About a month ago, a motorcycle cop caught me lane splitting.

Got pulled over and he whispered to me that he was only doing this so the cagers don't ring from their mobile and complain about the copper not doing his job.

He said this seem to be the new thing to do. Dob in coppers.

He was quite happy with my granny lane splitting.

Checked out my bike and told me to carry on.

He prefers to give tickets to cagers rather then hassel motorcyclist.:rockon:

But like he said if the public think it's illegal then there is no arguing with it. The copper no doubt would have been in shit if he did nothing.

So I agree with WarlockNZ that not all cops are assholes. I never thought that anyways.

McJim
20th November 2006, 16:27
Even the most vocal of us on KB don't believe for one second that all police are arseholes. Unfortunately it's one of those jobs where they are visible and contact with them is not always pleasant. Less broadminded cops might even think "most members of the general public are arseholes" coz every time they deal with them it's all negative.

I have to confess - despite playing devil's advocate from time to time on KB the only contact I've had with the Police force in New Zealand was cruising up the Southern Motorway at 100kph with an L plate on my arse only to have a bike cop overtake me and give me a friendly wave as he went off and pulled over a subaru for some reason.

Viddy
20th November 2006, 21:18
Went for a blat this arvo with some mates, and on way back, roared down into 80 kph zone on Cobham Dr in Hamilton, and accelerated up to the limit + some, and then came along side a car in the lane that I needed to be in at ~80, so gave it some gas, and got ahead of him, and got into the lane.

Come up to the lights, and other blue car that was behind me from 0 -> 90+ turns out to be a undercover cop car with full radar stuff in it. Didn't even care. Pretty sweet, as I've got my L plate in full view on back.

Aero165
12th April 2008, 10:42
Well, last night I met my first 'Nice' police man. Until I had only met uptight, angry assholes who would fine me for anything they could get.

Here's the story...

I was chugging along SH1 minding my own business heading towards Link road. I turned into Link road and continued on my ride. Being a quiet road I opened the throttle a tad, nothing too silly but yes, I was speeding. Eventually I got to the Intersection between Link road and Oranui. I stopped, waited for a car to travel thought the intersection and just as I was about to let the clutch out I heard the distinctive whine of police sirens behind me, I turned around and sure enough there was a HW patrol car.

At this point I was adding up all the fines I could get in my head. I've already had a warning for my number plate by one officer in Rotorua (Please see 'Asshole' in dictionary), my Rego and Warrant wasn't on display and he would of known I was speeding. For him to catch me at that intersection means he must of been flying himself...

He got out of his car and proceeded to walk towards me. "Can I see your license please" I said "Yeah, sure" and gave it to him. He checked it while asking If I was having a nice day and that it seemed like a good evening to be out on a bike. He finished checking my license, handed it back to me, said "Thanks" and proceeded on his way. I was so relieved he didn't fine me for anything. I said "Hey, thanks for not being an asshole" He laughed and said "No problem". I shut my visor and we went our separate ways. True story!

I guess the moral of the story is 'Not all cops are out to get you' which was my previous train of thought.

End rant.

Aero

Magua
12th April 2008, 10:57
Lucky escape.

Cr1MiNaL
12th April 2008, 21:29
I love cops, theyre only humans too... I even give the cop cars a friendly nod and most wave back, so do the cop bikes. Once a cop told pulled me over and advised me that he thought my bike was going to transform and if I were okay... crazy feller !

McJim
12th April 2008, 21:34
I love cops, theyre only humans too... I even give the cop cars a friendly nod and most wave back, so do the cop bikes. Once a cop told pulled me over and advised me that he thought my bike was going to transform and if I were okay... crazy feller !

And did it transform?

SharkDog
13th April 2008, 22:03
what an old thread? well. heres my 2c anyway.

finished work late, I was supervising a client meant to finish at 9pm, they wouldn't leave.. so i had no choice but to stay... 11:30pm rolls around. I'm on my restricted license, without an exemption.

Cruising home, sitting on 110 with the rest of the traffic at that time of night.. Cop in highway patrol cage comes up beside me, then speeds off without lights on anything on must have easily been doing 120/130 ... So i take of after him, after a few kms traffic slows, and i end up in front of him again.... only seconds later he pulls me over....

Evening Sir, do you know why I've pulled you over?? no officer, not a clue, please explain.... -- says nothing... (trying to give me the shits) - asks to see license, comes back gives me shit about the restricted... goes back to the car... comes back and makes me explain the riding at night... goes back to car... comes back to tell me my tail light is out....

I say are you sure? it was working when i left work, i can see it lighting up the carpark when I'm reversing out? Here let me prove it.. Turn on the bike... The taillight works! He goes back to the car.... comes back gives me more shit about the restricted, then laughs at how easily he could wind me up! Lets me get on my way, no fine, nothing.

It turns out when i got home the tail-light wasn't working there was a loose wire in the lamp holder.

Apart from scaring the crap out of me... He seemed a nice guy, maybe he was just bored that night. I laugh about it now..... :P

Ixion
13th April 2008, 22:08
I really wish that all cops came with a fluorescent hat band that said either "Good guy" or "Arsehole" , as the case may be. So that y' knew where y' stood. (need to put it on the side of the plodmobile, too)

McJim
13th April 2008, 22:15
I really wish that all cops came with a fluorescent hat band that said either "Good guy" or "Arsehole" , as the case may be. So that y' knew where y' stood. (need to put it on the side of the plodmobile, too)
That would only work if we, the general public, were prepared to write 'Fuckwit', 'Criminal', Drug Dealer' and 'Really Decent bloke who is travelling a little briskly this evening' on the sides of our respective vehicles and on our jackets.

Ixion
13th April 2008, 22:19
Well, maybe it could be done by vote. The public could vote on what badge the cop must display, and the cops on what badge the members of the public must display. 'twould make for interesting times .

But, the cops already have something of this, because they can tell when they do a QP what sort of person they are dealing with, What we need is a QC (Query cop) .

McJim
13th April 2008, 22:22
Well, maybe it could be done by vote. The public could vote on what badge the cop must display, and the cops on what badge the members of the public must display. 'twould make for interesting times .

But, the cops already have something of this, because they can tell when they do a QP what sort of person they are dealing with, What we need is a QC (Query cop) .

D'ya reckon Auntie Helen would let us have some of her surplus to pay for the on board equipment for the Query Cop (TM)?

Ixion
13th April 2008, 22:25
D'ya reckon Auntie Helen would let us have some of her surplus to pay for the on board equipment for the Query Cop (TM)?

Wouldn't need much. Just a centralised database, and y' send a txt message with the cop's badge number. Get back "Cunt" or "OK"

Of course, if he's a ginga , you don;t need any fancy stuff to tell that he's going to be a cunt.

Boob Johnson
13th April 2008, 22:28
Thread digger award for 2008 goes too........
Nice one guvna, always good to see positive threads about the boys in blue. I had a cop pull me up on a main rd without a (push) bike helmet on two years ago, he said "I have to pull you up in case an old lady driving by sees me ignore you & phones in a complaint, & believe me it happens" (and smiles), he then goes on to say "you are old enough to make up your own mind about if you want to wear a helmet or not i'm not going to tell you that you have too just be careful". Then says have a nice day, I said thanks & he buggers off :Police: :niceone:

And by far not the first time, lost count how many fines ive talked my way out of over the years dealing with more than reasonable police officers (and the old traffic cops back n the day) :clap: