PDA

View Full Version : A culinary question

SpankMe
13th July 2004, 18:46
Anyone know a nice Chinese restaurant in Auckland city?

Looking for fine dinning, not a glorified food hall.

FROSTY
13th July 2004, 18:48
The best one Ive been to was the New Orient -It used to be under one of the arcades by Midcity in central auckland.
Very Very good food

Hitcher
13th July 2004, 18:50
Is the Sun Sun still upstairs in Customs Street? (Probably dates self here).

There is also a ripper Thai place in Royal Oak that I can never remember the name of.

On that helpful note, I will adjourn for dinner...

bikerboy
13th July 2004, 18:59
Well I like The Pearl in Newmarket.

It isn't really fine dinning but it isn't huge so feels like an intimate restaurant and not a vast hall where they crank out the food and customers. :whocares:

Two Smoker
13th July 2004, 19:02
The best one Ive been to was the New Orient -It used to be under one of the arcades by Midcity in central auckland.
Very Very good food
I agree, its fucking nice, but a bitch to find, under all the arcades etc...... But very tidy and is a restraunt almost Posh lol......

andy1
13th July 2004, 19:31
Crazy Noodle in Newmarket is a place you should check out!

wkid_one
13th July 2004, 19:36
Fuck - there is a really nice one Newton way - can't remember the name

SpankMe
13th July 2004, 19:42
I've been to the New Orient. Didn't think that much of it. Found the following in the yellow pages. Will check'em out tomorrow. There's a nice looking one next to Atrium on Elliot that I can't remember the name of.

Newmarket is a bit far. I need something within walking distance of work.

<ul> <li><font face="Verdana">Imperial Garden Seafood Restaurant<br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </font>12-26 Swanson St Auckland Central Auckland</li> </ul> <ul> <li> <font face="Verdana">North Garden Chinese Restaurant<br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </font>Mid City Centre 239 Queen St Auckland Central Auckland</li> </ul> <ul> <li> <font face="Verdana">Ocean City Restaurant<br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </font>201 Victoria St West Auckland Central Auckland</li> </ul> <ul> <li> <font face="Verdana">Sunlight Restaurant<br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </font>11 Victoria St East Auckland Central Auckland</li> </ul> <ul> <li> <font face="Verdana">Sunshine Chinese Restaurant<br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </font>39 Market Pl Viaduct Basin Auckland</li> </ul> <ul> <li> <font face="Verdana">The Rendezvous Chinese Restaurant Ltd<br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </font>144-148 Hobson St Auckland Central Auckland</li> </ul>

Hoon
13th July 2004, 20:01
Yes I love Chinese food and have been to a lot of good places.

North Garden, Grand Harbour (Viaduct) and some other place across the road from the Globe are good central Yum cha places.

Imperial garden has a mean buffet during the day.

If you are after the hell quick feed for a good price during lunch, Kiwi Country, BBQ King and One Dragon Noodle house are all pretty good (all along Durham Lane).

Yeah but fine dining I can recommend North Harbour, Imperial Garden or Grand Harbour - any place with crayfish crawling around in fish tanks must be good :)

Can't comment on the others you mention and there are also a lot of others I could recommend but can't remember their names :(

MikeL
13th July 2004, 20:06
There is also a ripper Thai place in Royal Oak that I can never remember the name of.

The Royal Siam or the Thai Archer???

SpankMe
13th July 2004, 20:20

The Royal Siam. YUMMMMMY. You gotta try the Yum Talee.

I've taken three Thai girls to the Thai Archer, and none of them liked it.

maybe
13th July 2004, 20:57
Don't know but we have some great ones in Wellington.

FROSTY
13th July 2004, 21:04
if ya want oriental food that is totally different--try Ken
Yakatori The food is so nice and it has an intimate atmosphere.
and by different i dont mean weird-

Posh Tourer :P
13th July 2004, 21:27
Very Very good food

Yes, good food good service, great, also quite cheap for what it is. However, it's only one step above a glorified food hall... I think you were thinking of something more upmarket spankme?

Hoon
14th July 2004, 10:49
<ul> <li> <font face="Verdana">Ocean City Restaurant<br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </font>201 Victoria St West Auckland Central Auckland</li><li> <font face="Verdana">The Rendezvous Chinese Restaurant Ltd<br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </font>144-148 Hobson St Auckland Central Auckland</li> </ul>

After asking my other half who has a better memory for names, I remember the above two places now.
Ocean City is by Vic Park and is pretty big. The have a mean buffet during the day too.
The Rendezvous in a smaller place and does yum cha - not too bad either.

And they both have "Hoon's seal of quality" i.e. crayfish swimming in fish tanks!!

Also depends on what time of the day you are going....most Chinese places offer either a yum cha or buffet during the day with normal menu in the evenings.

FzerozeroT
14th July 2004, 11:01
if you're out to impress then go to daikoku, over in that new mall, bombay mall? no umm. someone fill that in, beutiful food and very stylie, japanese but hey whats the diff :D

not within walking distance either, take the bike :sunny:

Hitcher
14th July 2004, 11:01

The Thai Archer!

750Y
14th July 2004, 12:05
[QUOTE=FzerozeroT]if you're out to impress then go to daikoku, ...japanese but hey whats the diff :D
[QUOTE]
the taste

Hoon
14th July 2004, 12:14
Theres a Daikoku next to Atrium as well and they have $10 lunches I think? They are great for the novelty but if you are a big eater like myself then you may find that they don't always fill the gap.

Gixxer
14th July 2004, 18:07
I've been to the New Orient. Didn't think that much of it. Found the following in the yellow pages. Will check'em out tomorrow. There's a nice looking one next to Atrium on Elliot that I can't remember the name of.

cause I like to eat, and it shows, I am going to share my insight with you.
if you are looking for something during the day, Yum Char is the one.

Imperial Garden, used to have a nice yum char, then went buffet, not that great, but cheap.

Ocean City, only really good for the steam boat night (tuesdays i think)

not too sure on the sunlight soap.

Sunshine is not too bad

Rendezvous, has a very good yum char and so does Dynasty Chinese on wakefield st. (recommend both)

Wkid, the one you are thinking i think is cantons on new north rd, and that is one of the best, no fine dinning, pacted, but good.

for the thai lovers.
Thai Archer is very good, also try the Thai place on new north Rd, around the corner from Motomail. Aroy Dee thai in Takapuna and Thai Chef in Albany are both good.

Posh, fully agree about the New Orient.

Peace and happy eating