PDA

View Full Version : Tyres for cbr250rr?

lukelin250
20th November 2006, 17:35
would really appreciate advice on what tyres would be best for my bike. currently i have bridgestone cyrox so any feedback on what these are like as tyres would be helpfull too, im really not sure how hard i can push them????

Sketchy_Racer
20th November 2006, 17:44
I would reccomend the Dunlop GPR70's if you can find some. They have stopped making them now i believe!

Or the GPR100's are also a good tyre.

Big Chim
20th November 2006, 20:59
I would recomemd the GPR 70's but only if ya do heaps of rides and like to get into the twisties and push em a bit. If your commuting they will root out the middle and its a waste of a good set of tyres. if your doing just that then get a harder compound tyre

vtec
20th November 2006, 21:19
The Cyrox are a great tyre... for drifting.
My two favourite tyres that I have ridden on my CBR250RR:
Dunlop GPR70, and the Bridgestone BT090, I reckon both of these tyres are pretty close in performance, but the Bridgestone is a newer tyre and I think it is better designed with harder rubber in the middle so that you don't wear a flat spot while commuting but really soft on the sides.

If you are using it on the roads majority then go the Bridgestone.
If you are using it on the track majority then either the BT090 or the GPR70 will be excellent.

Oh yeah road rash... are you going to be at the PMCC meeting this weekend? I'll try to bring that worn GPR70 along for you. Mostly worn on the sides.

Back to the Cyrox. It's fine for commuting, and it's also a good teacher, although if you've got one on the front I would change it as soon as possible. You can afford to lose the rear end but not so much the front end. I learnt really good bike control skills from this tyre, because I could control powerslides with it to an extent, and this helped me get fast when I got on good tyres.

Big Chim
21st November 2006, 06:11
Yeah man I'll be there. catch ya on sunday

limbimtimwim
21st November 2006, 06:34
My vote for the BT-090. Great tyre, even in the wet. They wear very well too, you will get good life out of a rear. The BT-090 is designed for small bikes like like sporty 250s and 400s. You would be have to be going stupid fast on a dry road to break traction with them on.

It doesn't have a high speed rating (210km/h I think) which is fine for little bikes. You don't need the overhead of extra weight of a high speed rated tyre.

Just don't go hard for the first few corners, they need to warm up, but you don't need to work them hard to get them warm.

lukelin250
21st November 2006, 13:00
dp they still sell gpr70's? i do lots of commuting but i also reguarly try to attend any ride going on that i can and i do need tyres that i can trust cause at the moment im really not keen on pushing those cyrox. now im definetly gonna take it easy cause they sound rather shit.

Postie
21st November 2006, 13:28
It depends what riding you do and what you want from the tyre. GPR70's are awesom but there are better tyres for every day riding that will still give great grip. I had GRP100's (which have newer technology then the 70's, what ever that means) on my CBR400 and they were awesome, quick warm up, and being a sport/tourer tyre, would last on a 250 for ages whilst giving you all the grip you would need. The 70 is stickier, but won't last as long.
call a bike shop and they will ask you a few questions about what you want and they will sugest a few variations and also be able to quote you at the same time, which sometimes helps you decide on what you get anyway.

texmo
21st November 2006, 13:34
I like using a gpr70 front with a 100 rear.
N4CR uses gpr100 front and grp100 rear and im yet too see a faster rider on a 250 on the road.

skidMark
21st November 2006, 13:48
dp they still sell gpr70's? i do lots of commuting but i also reguarly try to attend any ride going on that i can and i do need tyres that i can trust cause at the moment im really not keen on pushing those cyrox. now im definetly gonna take it easy cause they sound rather shit.

had gpr70sp's on my zxr c model

stuck like bloodey glue no mattter how hard itried those things just did not let go...

sitting there sliding my boots round corners in pissing down wet and it just stuck

couldn't believe it they last screw all time but god they are worth it

ive never felt so as one with a motorcycle ever...i just knew i could trust it to get me through the corners without sliding me down the roado n my arse

get gpr70 sp's because i know how fast you ride mate and i know with the way u ride and the limits you are trying to reach the only thing that will do for you is gpr70 sp's

go see the guys at cycletreads

i think it's about 450 for a set fitted

cheers: SM

skidMark
21st November 2006, 13:49
I like using a gpr70 front with a 100 rear.
N4CR uses gpr100 front and grp100 rear and im yet too see a faster rider on a 250 on the road.

tristan (n4cr) is so quick it scares me

out whitford way once i was balls to the wall just going for it aye i was pushing harder thani ever had and he was just puttering round on worn tyres which he said were all over the road...here i am boot down peg down a few times trying to stick with him and i was but i know he wasn't pushing it cus when he does...hes gone

ps. he has a deristrictor box on his one didn't matter what gear i was in he enihilated me on accelration out of corners

on the exact same frigging bike

in saying that his was all professional tuned :P lol

lukelin250
21st November 2006, 15:11
tristan (n4cr) is so quick it scares me

out whitford way once i was balls to the wall just going for it aye i was pushing harder thani ever had and he was just puttering round on worn tyres which he said were all over the road...here i am boot down peg down a few times trying to stick with him and i was but i know he wasn't pushing it cus when he does...hes gone

ps. he has a deristrictor box on his one didn't matter what gear i was in he enihilated me on accelration out of corners

on the exact same frigging bike

in saying that his was all professional tuned :P lol

sweet, next thread / how to get my bike tuned like that :innocent:

lukelin250
21st November 2006, 15:49
ok just called cycle treads and they recomended that i get bridgestone battlax bt-45
front/$169
rear/$185

whatchya reckon???:scooter:

skidMark
21st November 2006, 16:20
tell them u want gpr70sp's durrr lol

limbimtimwim
21st November 2006, 18:47
I think they are trying to get rid of an old tyre model..

Panther
21st November 2006, 19:23
sweet, next thread / how to get my bike tuned like that :innocent:

Get hold of Ricki, hes working at Haldane motorcycles in mount eden, hes the man with ZXRs and he also worked on my CBR back in the day, and he tuned tristans zx2.
My zx2 now starts great all the time, (except the cold mornings), with no choke.
he owned a cibber too so he will sort you out real sweet!!

R6_kid
21st November 2006, 21:34
ok just called cycle treads and they recomended that i get bridgestone battlax bt-45
front/$169
rear/$185

whatchya reckon???:scooter:

i rode on BT-45 rear, BT-96 front... essentially the GPR70/GPR100 equivalent that texmo runs but in bridgestones. I wasnt around long enough to tryout the the GPR's but N4CR and Texmo swear by them, as do the 400cc riders in F3 racing so i'd go for them if the price difference isnt too bad (or if its not a problem)

I was told that the next best thing to the GPR's was the BT090 but this was for racing. If you want the best then go GPR's, but in saying that i was an alright 250 rider and had no problems on the BT96/45 setup.

Get an open pipe and get your carbs tuned to it, it'll give your bike some serious balls. As sallo said, ricky is the man for tuning 250's in auckland.

vtec
21st November 2006, 22:17
Yeah I don't know about the BT45's. But if you are going to settle for something less than the BT090's or the GPR70's, then you may as well just stay on the Cyrox's till you wear them out or you crash and burn.

With regard to making the 250 faster. In my opinion don't bother. On the other hand Gavin (HDTBoy) reckoned his CBR250 was awesome after he cut open his airbox and replaced the paper filter with a piece of foam, debaffled the exhaust and retuned the carbs to suit. I have his exact airbox and carbs for sale at the moment, not pretty, but will save you carving up your one. Contrary to popular belief, the biggest gain is actually from freeflowing the intake by carving up your airbox and using a light foam filter. I also have his exhaust, but it's reasonably bent.

For CBR250 info check out www.cr-x.org/cbr250 this website has heaps of people with plenty of road and racing experience, and I guarantee you will get accurate answer's there about the quality of BT45's, I think Gareth is just guessing about the ability of them.

lukelin250
21st November 2006, 22:34
$500 for the set of gpr70's
$355 for the set of bt-45's

those 70's do sound really exceptional how many k's of life would i expect from a set?

thing is im not sure id be pushing my bike as hard as f3 riders so what would be perhaps second best solution other than the aforementiond bt090 which are same price as the gpr70's anyway.

vtec
21st November 2006, 22:56
A couple of reviews of the BT45... notice that they are only on very average bikes.
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews89566.html

This is the cbr250 discussion including the BT45
http://www.cr-x.org/cbr250/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=33610&SearchTerms=bridgestone,bt45

This is the CBR250 tyre bible:
http://www.cbr250.com/cbr250/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8287

Seriously you at least need a good front tyre. Get a BT090 on the front ASAP. I enjoyed my combo of BT090 on the front and Cyrox on the rear. Teaches you excellent bike control skills without being too dangerous. I did my first time on Puke with this combo and I thoroughly enjoyed it, was sliding it quite a lot, made me feel like a motogp rider without feeling in too much danger. And was still able to brake very hard and late with the excellent front.

justsomeguy
21st November 2006, 23:34
those 70's do sound really exceptional how many k's of life would i expect from a set?

8-10k front

5-7k rear.

More if you're slow, less if you're fast.

R6_kid
22nd November 2006, 07:44
some very interesting reading there vtec!

texmo
22nd November 2006, 12:21
Riding with the best tyres is also a mental thing, if you feel like you are riding on the best you will ride better.

lukelin250
22nd November 2006, 14:06
so true, when i had the worn out 70's my riding was so much better. now its almost dangerous as i lack confidence through a corner and end up touching the brakes and all sorts of weird shit round a corner. cant wait till i choose the tyre. at the mo im thinking bt45 rear and bt090 or gpr 70 front. sound good?

limbimtimwim
22nd November 2006, 14:15
at the mo im thinking bt45 rear and bt090 or gpr 70 front. sound good?Why not just BT090 front and rear?

Or the dunlop things front and rear. Are you trying to save a few dollars?

texmo
22nd November 2006, 14:50
gpr70 front and gpr 100 rear minta....

vtec
22nd November 2006, 18:25
Yep, BT090 front and BT45 rear sounds all good. Although, I've never heard any review from someone with a BT090 rear, and would love to know what they are like. Once you wear the rear out, you'll probably want to upgrade to the BT090. Although the BT45 might be sweet. I'm waiting for the verdict.

Sketchy_Racer
22nd November 2006, 18:32
I had a BT-45 on the front and rear of my old CBR250R

They were more than what was needed in the dry, and really amazingly good in the wet i found.

For some reason i acctually chewed my front tyre out before my rear.... I think its cause the steering Geometry is so outta wackh on the single 'R' models.

Pretty much any of the tyres that have been mentioned will be more than what is required of general road riding.

limbimtimwim
22nd November 2006, 19:55
Yep, BT090 front and BT45 rear sounds all good. Although, I've never heard any review from someone with a BT090 rear, and would love to know what they are like. Once you wear the rear out, you'll probably want to upgrade to the BT090. Although the BT45 might be sweet. I'm waiting for the verdict.Here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=25454&highlight=BT-090

I now know they are good in the wet too. Going around the Coromandel earlier this year I was outbraking cars into corners, in the rain, with luggage. No lie.

Big Chim
22nd November 2006, 20:14
$500 for the set of gpr70's
$355 for the set of bt-45's

thing is im not sure id be pushing my bike as hard as f3 riders so what would be perhaps second best solution other than the aforementiond bt090 which are same price as the gpr70's anyway.

GPR 70's $400 odd in hamilton

Brett
22nd November 2006, 21:09
Bro GPR70 Fronts and the GPR100 rear, they are the meanest tyres available. Go try Botany Honda, they have pretty damn good prices. They are worth every damn cent.

R6_kid
23rd November 2006, 00:46
Bro GPR70 Fronts and the GPR100 rear, they are the meanest tyres available. Go try Botany Honda, they have pretty damn good prices. They are worth every damn cent.

damn damn damn, i said god damn! :dodge:

mynameis
5th December 2006, 15:28
So what did you end up buying Luke? I've got a old set of GPR 70's at home but they are a bit old (2-3) years and not used for the last 6 months with very minor cracks on them. Well the production date of the tyres are I think, either 03 or 04.More than 70% thread left.

Wonder if they can be used again. I got told nah, too dangerous so took them off...Hmm any thoughts guys. Shall I put them on Trade Me, and state it clearly? Or is it a bit dangerous and unethical to a fellow biker? I

've got Sports Deamon (Pirelli) on now plus wrong profile as well on the rear 140/70-18. Thanks Mt Eden for damaging my rear hugger !! Twats !! Plus they are cross pliers not radial. Don't really know the difference between them.

And I just have this mental thing going on big time that I am running on wrong profile tyres and not the best ones, hence perhaps I am not pushing myself or maybe not riding as hard as I could ?? hmm ?? But hey my strips are much down now from 6 months ago. I've been riding for a year now.

conpuzzled mynameis

texmo
7th December 2006, 09:08
Before you go dissing stores learn facts mate.

mynameis
15th December 2006, 13:08
Facts like what?

mynameis

HDTboy
16th December 2006, 09:57
I was speaking to the Dunlop guys on the weekend. There are still a few GPR 70s in the country, but early next year they are bringing in the replacement which is called a GPR A10. I swear by the GPR70, apparently the new tyre is better

MattRSK
16th December 2006, 14:19
Thanks for the info guys. Thats a really good link VTEC.