PDA

View Full Version : Riding through Molesworth Station

greenman
20th November 2006, 19:11
Has anyone here ridden through the Molesworth Station?
If so, can a roadbike get through 2 up ? eg zzr1100

thanks

TonyB
20th November 2006, 19:50
Of course it can!

But then I'm the nutcase who rode his FZR1000 through deep fords.... so if I were you, and I'm pretty sure I'm not, I wouldn't listen to me... or was that you?

who said that?!? :crazy:

Colapop
20th November 2006, 19:55
...something about trying to sell said FZR...? :shutup:

TonyB
21st November 2006, 05:22
'tis sold.

Seriously though, I've never been through there before. Try asking one the our intrepid adventurers like Farque, Le Mans or Mr Sensible.

Last year I read a story about an Aussie couple who were directed to go through the Molesworth by the GPS in their rental car. They got through, but they didn't enjoy it. Funnily enough, I tried asking Wises website for directions from Chch to the sprawling metropolis of Tapawera- it told me to go through the Molesworth.

Alice
21st November 2006, 12:09
'tis sold.

Last year I read a story about an Aussie couple who were directed to go through the Molesworth by the GPS in their rental car. They got through, but they didn't enjoy it. Funnily enough, I tried asking Wises website for directions from Chch to the sprawling metropolis of Tapawera- it told me to go through the Molesworth.

I remember that, I laughed when I heard about it, they must have wondered what sort of a backward country they had come to as they where bumping along the gravel, fording streams, out the back of Hamner Springs.They can't have much of a scence of adventure if they did not enjoy the drive.Its beautiful country, I've been through on my mountain bike in a race and the scenery is stunning.
Perhaps the person that programmed the GPS had a good scence of humour as well as an adventuresome spirit !

TonyB
21st November 2006, 17:06
Yeah, after that story one does wonder just how 3rd world the average Aussie thinks we are:gob:

miSTa
21st November 2006, 19:15
'tis sold.

Seriously though, I've never been through there before. Try asking one the our intrepid adventurers like Farque, Le Mans or Mr Sensible.

I've never done the trip (to do sometime this summer) but I'm sure the other two above or try plug or transalper would have a far idea too.

nigelp
21st November 2006, 19:56
I managed to do it in a mighty 1996 Mazda 626 :scooter: and it went fine (only bottomed out a few times, nothing major. Some awesome scenery and a great trip. I think that the road is only open for a couple of months in the summer from memory.

rustys
21st November 2006, 20:46
Greenman, heading through there on the 28th dec, on an Xt 600 two up. Been through there several times, sometimes the roads good, sometimes not so good, don't take a road bike down "jollies pass" into Hanmer it can be shit,carry on till "jacks pass". Early in Dec the road will probably have lots of loose and heavy metal on it, ready for the influx of traffic, probably latter towards end january it would be more packed down suitable for a road bike. Weather can be quite changeable i left Blenheim one year in 40 deg, pissing down with rain at Molesworth, snow at Hanmer. Hey don't get me wrong its and awsome ride mate take your time and enjoy the scenery. If you do make it stay a couple days in Hanmer then head up the Rainbow road thats even better scenery and you come out at St Arnaud. Tons of good back country roads around that area. Cheers mate might c you on the road somwhwere:rockon:
If your interested in getting some good back country rides in buy this book...
" 4WD SOUTH ISLAND " 77 off road adventure routes by Ken sibly & Mark Wilson
" 4WD NORTH ISLAND " 80 " " " " by Andy Cockroft
Lifes to short to sit around and do F....K all:ride:

Pickle
30th November 2006, 19:28
Have done Molesworth a couple of times but wouldnt recommend doing it on a fully faired bike. Bloke from Wellington did it couple of years ago on his ZZR600 afterwards the belly pan needed repainting as the front of it was white from stones chipping off paint.
If you really are going to do it it is a great road and is an easy bit of gravel road, if you are confident on gravel & dont mind a bit of stone chips then go for it, take a puncture repair kit.
I know lots of people who have taken road bikes thru no problem, me I'd take a trail bike.

ajturbo
30th November 2006, 20:34
the boys and girls from the nelson road turning club did it one year... many, many MANY years ago... and why didn't i?.... i had a good excuse then,, but buggered if i can remember it now...
but do it and have fun!!!... just mind your wide tyres.. they love to ice skate on gravel...

terbang
30th November 2006, 20:45
Managed to get an old GSX 1100 through there. Did quite a bit of damage to the pipe. Wouldn't do it again on a road bike.

Jantar
30th November 2006, 22:37
I've been through on a 1973 Suzuki GT380. No trouble at all except for a lack of ground clearance on one of the stream crossings.

But back then a bike was a bike and if you wanted to ride somewhere then that's what you did. Didn't worry too much about whether it was a main highway, a gravel road or just a dirt track.

Catweazle
19th March 2007, 12:47
I did it in 1968 as a high school kid with 40 others on bicycles with a car, truck and caravan for backup support. We camped at workmen's huts along the way. I am sure it is not relevant to today on a motorbike but as I recall it was quite nice.

I won the race down the hill into Hamner Springs!

I think I need to do it again sometime soon on a motorbike.

thehovel
20th March 2007, 19:58
I came past the turnoff to molesworth last week and the road is closed for this season. From what I have heard a trail bike is the only way to enjoy the road. Regards Richard:Punk:

RedKLR650
21st March 2007, 07:24
I came past the turnoff to molesworth last week and the road is closed for this season. From what I have heard a trail bike is the only way to enjoy the road. Regards Richard:Punk:
I've been through there a couple of times and it's great on an adventure bike, but if you know your bike, and are happy on average gravel, with the odd ford, you'll have a blast. It normally opens very late December until the end of April, but closed mid March last year and 11 March this year due to fire riskd with it being so dry. Very spectacular scenery. Even during the closed season, at the Noth end, coming from Seddon, there is approx 100km ( yes, 100km) of shingle road BEFORE the locked gate and official Molesworth entry, and from Hanmer, approx ( trying to remember here ??? ) 10-20??? km of shingle before the locked gate, so go and try those bits which are accessable all year round, and if you can handle that OK you'll be fine on the rest. One of the guys on the passes ride took a 1200 Bandit through with no dramas!! Going through early last March, the worst bit was the North end after a grader that was leaving freshly graded shingle about 3"deep !!! :scooter:

Beemer
22nd March 2007, 18:27
I rode through on a Honda XRB200 and there were two or three couples in our group riding two-up. The only ones who had any trouble were the ones who crashed before they got to the station... the others made it with no dramas from memory.