PDA

View Full Version : 2 Problems... light+speedo

toymachine
20th November 2006, 20:43
Ok the two problems are unrelated but anyway, saves a thread. For a while now my headlight (can't be turned off) is off on 'low' but works on high beam, which it stays at now. Any ideas why the low isn't working anymore? Would they be separate bulbs?

Also, the otherday my speedo just randomly stopped working, looked up, looked down again and it wasn't going... any ideas how I could get it going again?

erik
20th November 2006, 23:05
New headlight bulb, the low beam filament has probably blown. Coincidentally, I'm in the same situation at the moment, no low beam. I'm hoping I can find a more powerful bulb than the last one because my headlight is pretty crap. With justsomeguy following me on his zx636r at night with my full beam on, I could see me and my bike's shadow on the ground in front of me because of the 636's lights!

I'd guess the speedo would be due to a broken speedo cable. unscrew the top end from the speedo and spin the front wheel to see if the top bit of the cable turns. Or you could probably pull the cable out of the sheath to see if it's broken. Shouldn't be too expensive to replace. If it's the cable, your odometer won't be working either.

Gremlin
20th November 2006, 23:35
for erik (and you) re a bulb, if the bike takes H4, best to look up Hella Xenon Ultra Bulbs, still a 60/55, but 40% more light, bright, but if the headlight is plastic, won't melt it...

For the speedo, not sure how the bandit gets the information, but if its the U into the front axle, those could be broken?

magicfairy
21st November 2006, 07:31
Coincidentally, I'm in the same situation at the moment, no low beam.

We found out we had no Low Beam when we hit the Homer Tunnel last month.
So we could see the holes, ruts, rocks 20ft in front, but not the ones coming right up. Not a lot of fun.:shit:
Yep - it was the bulb.

toymachine
21st November 2006, 07:46
My odometer isnt working either hmm, guess it's the cable then?

Gremlin
21st November 2006, 10:51
My odometer isnt working either hmm, guess it's the cable then?
speedo and odometer run off the same cable... I'm unsure on your model of bike, but if its the front axle, a cable, and a U shaped bolt, that locks onto a rod, either the cable has broken (as erik said) or the teeth of the U as such, have broken... well, thats my guess anyway...

crashe
21st November 2006, 10:57
Cable - Check that it hasnt come un-screwed at the top or bottom.

Bulb - Yep they tend to be the same bulb that runs low beam and high beam. So buy a new one.
Please be careful when handling the new bulb...... cos if you put dirty fingers on it, the bulb can blow straight away.

Footnote: Read the instruction's on the packaging when you buy it before installing the new bulb.

Gremlin
21st November 2006, 11:08
Please be careful when handling the new bulb...... cos if you put dirty fingers on it, the bulb can blow straight away.
It's more the oily residue existing on human skin. Touching the bulb transfers that oil to the bulb, shortening its life.

If you do touch it, clean it with a soft cloth etc (to remove oil), and avoid touching it again...

crashe
21st November 2006, 11:10
It's more the oily residue existing on human skin. Touching the bulb transfers that oil to the bulb, shortening its life.

If you do touch it, clean it with a soft cloth etc (to remove oil), and avoid touching it again...

Yeah thats what I meant....... ta Gremlin......