PDA

View Full Version : 16 years of progress

GSVR
21st November 2006, 14:45
Just been reading Aaron Slights autobography. And when he did the WSB at Manfeild in 1989 he set a new lap record of 1.08.17 sec on a Kawasaki 750.

I think Shawn Giles holds the record now at 1.07.xx

Manfeilds corners used to have alot more banking in the early days. Does anyone know when they got flattened out.

sugilite
21st November 2006, 15:50
Garry, The cambers have never changed. They resealed Manfield just before that round of the supers and it was like a billiard table!
Ahhh, those were the days, I could do 1:15's on a standard GSXR750, hold it, I can do 1:16's on a standard 1989 ZXR750 now days! Guess I'm getting crazier with age :lol:

dickytoo
21st November 2006, 16:35
Guess I'm getting crazier with age :lol:

Age has nothing to do with it, you're just a crazy, loopy b*****d!

GSVR
21st November 2006, 16:54
Tried doing a little research online but theres virtually no information out there. So the track didn't have more banking in 1973?

Shaun
21st November 2006, 17:46
NO, just better condition and no trucks rooting it

sugilite
21st November 2006, 19:16
Age has nothing to do with it, you're just a crazy, loopy b*****d!
so, you letting me race your ZX10R makes you crazier than me!

roogazza
22nd November 2006, 08:47
NO, just better condition and no trucks rooting it

Done the odd lap around there on a bike myself , Plus, every fortnight for 10 years as a police driving instructor from 76 to 85 ! Few more bumps nowdays . Gaz.

James Deuce
22nd November 2006, 08:59
My best round Manfield is a 1:16.9 on my RC30. Does that make me mental too?

Shaun
22nd November 2006, 09:05

Yep, and a very good bloody rider

Deano
22nd November 2006, 09:11
My best round Manfield is a 1:16.9 on my RC30.

Snap - but on the Repsol Blade.

It's a shame about the track surface - I guess it builds character though.

James Deuce
22nd November 2006, 09:31
Yep, and a very good bloody rider

I crashed on the exit of Coke on the very next lap. Knee hard on kerb, then the grass as I pushed up the inside of Geoff Infield and the footpeg snapped off on the kerb.

Big slide. Mental note. Do not stand up when sliding at 50 km.hr. It hurts.

James Deuce
22nd November 2006, 09:32
Snap - but on the Repsol Blade.

It's a shame about the track surface - I guess it builds character though.

I did mine in '91 on the nice track surface. You could really push it on the final sweeper. No bumps on entry or up high.

GSVR
22nd November 2006, 09:32
Heres some intersting reading from 1976.

Most will know that F5000 cars arent really that fast infact when I last saw them race (last year) they didn't seem anything like what I remembered as a young lad watching them. They have poor brakes and are quite heavy by todays standards.

Recently I read that the outright lap record at Manfeild was held by one of these cars and it was under a minute!

All I can find to confirm this is this link about the racing at that time. Seems the track is around 10 metres longer now too.

http://www.sergent.com.au/tas76m.html 61.4 seconds a lap! Track must have been dam fine when it was new.

sugilite
22nd November 2006, 09:57

Welcome to the mental club, doing that time these days though gets you into the psychotic club!

Are you a racer Jim, or was that a track day?

James Deuce
22nd November 2006, 10:00
That was my first and last F1 race. Repairs and race bills were a bit expensive. Plus hiding it from the wife got too hard.

Joni
22nd November 2006, 10:02
I did not know that about you Jimbolenah... you never cease to amaze me :sunny:

sugilite
22nd November 2006, 10:02
Shame, that was a VERY respectable time, esp for your first race....RESPECT

roogazza
22nd November 2006, 13:51
Garry, The cambers have never changed. They resealed Manfield just before that round of the supers and it was like a billiard table!
Ahhh, those were the days, I could do 1:15's on a standard GSXR750, hold it, I can do 1:16's on a standard 1989 ZXR750 now days! Guess I'm getting crazier with age :lol:

How times change ? Crosby had the lap record at about 1.23.5 in 1974.
( Z1 900 Kawa) !!!!!!
Wonder what a modern production bike would do 33 years on ? Gaz.

gav
22nd November 2006, 20:23
Actually what would be interesting is what 33 years progress in tyres made in lap times? Take say that Z900 and fit the stickiest tyres possible, guess you'd need to fit 17" rims. Then maybe fit 33 year old tyres to a K6.....:gob:

sugilite
22nd November 2006, 20:30
Sean Donnelly is doing high 1:16's in post classic on a moderately modified Z900

speedpro
22nd November 2006, 21:45
Actually what would be interesting is what 33 years progress in tyres made in lap times? Take say that Z900 and fit the stickiest tyres possible, guess you'd need to fit 17" rims. Then maybe fit 33 year old tyres to a K6.....:gob:

You'd want to video that. A Z900 would tie itself in knots with tyres that sticky. I haven't ridden it for a while but I did ride the McIntosh in about 1983 with slicks, mainly Dunlops, and later in about 1992-1993 on Metzler Zs and the REAL big differance was just how progressive the Metzelers were. They seemed to have comparable levels of grip. Of course we're talking about another 10 years of development after that.

roogazza
23rd November 2006, 07:32
Sean Donnelly is doing high 1:16's in post classic on a moderately modified Z900

Although still a heavy thing , Sean's Z1 is quite trick ! The motor probably has 50 bhp more at the rear tyre, with modern rubber, wheels and Susp.
New , a Z1 probably had under 70 bhp at the tyre ? ( a TT100 !!!) Gaz.

sugilite
23rd November 2006, 07:36
The Cheeky bugga told me it was lightly warmed over :lol:

bistard
23rd November 2006, 07:46
You arnt actually going to belive a bike racer as to what he has done to his bike are you??
Plus how many engines & state of tune has Sean had over the years,I remember beating him to the line in the masters race at Wanganui a few years ago on my ZXR400

bistard
23rd November 2006, 07:47
Actually I did the same to Murray Cross on his McIntosh the year before
Go the little ZXR!!!!

roogazza
23rd November 2006, 08:39
You cheating bastard , Bistard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gaz. :shutup: :shutup: :gob:

bistard
23rd November 2006, 08:43
NO WAY GAZZA!!!!
Its only cheating when you are caught
Hehehe!!!

roogazza
23rd November 2006, 08:57
NO WAY GAZZA!!!!
Its only cheating when you are caught
Hehehe!!!
I used to have a lot of FILES myself ! cheers !!!! Gaz.

Coyote
23rd November 2006, 10:25
If i remember correctly I did a 2:18 on the CBR on the long track. Or 2:12, not sure

GSVR
23rd November 2006, 10:46
How times change ? Crosby had the lap record at about 1.23.5 in 1974.
( Z1 900 Kawa) !!!!!!
Wonder what a modern production bike would do 33 years on ? Gaz.

So to look at this another way Crosby was around 20 seconds slower per lap than an open wheeler. And now the fastest Production Superbikes are around 2 Seconds slower than a comparable open wheeler (Formula Toyota)

Motorcycle tyres really were shit in the seventys.

bloodnut
16th February 2007, 10:48
Hey All,

As far as I know the lap record around the short track at manfield is a 106.9 by one Gincarlo Fallappa on a ducati 955 in the last year SBK ran here in 1992. (i did a 109.9 best)

As for the long track Jason Mckeown on the Britten did a 1.52.8 (1995 Nationals) and I had the second fastest on my YZF750 with a 1.53.5 and Robert Holden on his 955 with 1.53.8. Has anyone gone faster since?

These times were set along time ago, surely the boys are going quicker today?

Cheers
:Punk:

Shaun
16th February 2007, 10:51
Hey All,

As far as I know the lap record around the short track at manfield is a 106.9 by one Gincarlo Fallappa on a ducati 955 in the last year SBK ran here in 1992. (i did a 109.9 best)

As for the long track Jason Mckeown on the Britten did a 1.52.8 (1995 Nationals) and I had the second fastest on my YZF750 with a 1.53.5 and Robert Holden on his 955 with 1.53.8. Has anyone gone faster since?

These times were set along time ago, surely the boys are going quicker today?

Cheers
:Punk:

Bloodnut, how's life treating ya these days mate

bloodnut
16th February 2007, 11:06
Hey Shaun, I wondered if that was you, just checked your profile.

Lifes good but I miss the track and i'm getting the bug again.

Just restoring my Rc30 from 1991 and getting it set-up for pre-89.

I'm also developing an ns400 with cr125 barrels etc just to have a decent two-stroke, us older bikers remember the hey days of performance smokers.

I still remember that season you on your rs250 had some awesome battles with Mike Webb, John Reed and the yank, cant remember his name, that was some great GP action.

What about you? still scrapping the knee?

bistard
16th February 2007, 11:18
Mr Bloodnut,whats this a reunion of redheads??
I remember that Supply Services YZF
Isnt it funny how you never quite give it all away!!
Look forward to seeing & hearing an RC30 being ridden in anger again

Sparky Bills
16th February 2007, 11:29
If only it was as smooth now days!

There were no drifter tearing it up back then either!
The trucks are one thing, but the drifters help out with that now too.

Shaun
16th February 2007, 11:31
Hey Shaun, I wondered if that was you, just checked your profile.

Lifes good but I miss the track and i'm getting the bug again.

Just restoring my Rc30 from 1991 and getting it set-up for pre-89.

I'm also developing an ns400 with cr125 barrels etc just to have a decent two-stroke, us older bikers remember the hey days of performance smokers.

I still remember that season you on your rs250 had some awesome battles with Mike Webb, John Reed and the yank, cant remember his name, that was some great GP action.

What about you? still scrapping the knee?

Just scraping the bottom of the barrell really mate, have run out of enthusiasm for racing the champs in NZ it seems these days.

You know how high the level of passion is,that is required to do this job properlly, have had some fun this year though.

Do not remember any Yank out here that year in the GP250 class

Will be good to see the RC30 back on track again
Later

bistard
16th February 2007, 11:35
Shaun,I remember watching a teenage Randy Mamola,racing a 250GP bike at
Wanganui,he fell off big time coming on to Taupo Quay

Ivan
16th February 2007, 11:35
Go the red heads and go the RC30

Sparky Bills
16th February 2007, 11:38
Go the red heads and go the NC30

Ummm... Thats RC30 mate.
BIG DIFFERENCE!:innocent: :Punk:

Ivan
16th February 2007, 11:42
woops thought I had typed wrong, something didnt look right ill change that right now

GSVR
16th February 2007, 12:55
According to a piece in the Manawatu Standard Manfield is going to get resealed this year at a cost of $1.5 million for the short circuit in an attempt to have the NZ Grand Prix (Toyota Series Cars) held here. It said the work would be starting in July and finished before the end of the year. Theres also some plan for a new race control tower at a further $700,000.

Page 3 of Thursday the 15th February's Manawatu Standard under the heading
"Manfeild working to lure Grand Prix to region"

JayRacer37
16th February 2007, 17:11
According to a piece in the Manawatu Standard Manfield is going to get resealed this year at a cost of $1.5 million for the short circuit in an attempt to have the NZ Grand Prix (Toyota Series Cars) held here. It said the work would be starting in July and finished before the end of the year. Theres also some plan for a new race control tower at a further $700,000.

Page 3 of Thursday the 15th February's Manawatu Standard under the heading
"Manfeild working to lure Grand Prix to region"

ohhh....that'll be nice. Craig Sherriffs and I were doing low 1.10 (Craig may have got in the 9's....can anyone confirm?) over the winter, with the track as it is, on the 600's. With the pace as it has been at the nationals this year who's guna be suprised if we are all in the 8's?? Bring it on! One week to go....:Punk:

Cleve
16th February 2007, 17:49
With the pace as it has been at the nationals this year who's guna be suprised if we are all in the 8's?? Bring it on! One week to go....:Punk:

Oh god what have I got myself in for. Please be gentle with me when you guys lap me... I don't want to be on TV falling off as people lap me...
One week to go :shit:

Crasherfromwayback
16th February 2007, 18:19

Not bad mate...but 1:16's were the go in '91' if you wanted to win on a 250 prodie bike.

Fucking oath...anything under 1:20's on a bike at Manfield is fast!
Although I hate to tell you this (well, nah...I love it) I managed 1:19 on a Twinsport 883 in '97' I think...

That's impressive!

Do not remember any Yank out here that year in the GP250 class

Will be good to see the RC30 back on track again
Later

If my memory serves me correctly....maybe Lance McDonald? Rode a TZ 250 and had a nasty biff right in front of me at Levels '91' and was paralized?
There was a whole team of them here...

Crasherfromwayback
16th February 2007, 18:20
ohhh....that'll be nice. Craig Sherriffs and I were doing low 1.10 (Craig may have got in the 9's....can anyone confirm?) over the winter, with the track as it is, on the 600's. With the pace as it has been at the nationals this year who's guna be suprised if we are all in the 8's?? Bring it on! One week to go....:Punk:

Yeah that's some seriously SICK SHIT Jay! Good luck too mate, I hope you go really well!:Punk:

White trash
16th February 2007, 18:23
I know a mad bastard who got around there in 1:19 on a FUCKING 883 Sportster!

Re-spect-ahhhh!

Crasherfromwayback
16th February 2007, 18:29
I know a mad bastard who got around there in 1:19 on a FUCKING 883 Sportster!

Re-spect-ahhhh!

Beat ya to it mate....I've 'blown' my own trumpet once again!:scooter:

White trash
16th February 2007, 18:31
I got 'round there in my SC400 Soarer in 1:26. Does that make me cool?

Crasherfromwayback
16th February 2007, 18:34
No, cause four wheels aren't that cool. It does make you a fucking hoon though!

vtec
16th February 2007, 18:34
Well, it makes you cooler than me cause I only managed 1.27's on my 1990 CBR250 4 stroke.
http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=389274

Crasherfromwayback
16th February 2007, 18:37
Well, it makes you cooler than me cause I only managed 1.27's on my CBR250 4 stroke.

That's none too bad on one of those mate! Good effort!:Punk:

JayRacer37
16th February 2007, 19:31
Oh god what have I got myself in for. Please be gentle with me when you guys lap me... I don't want to be on TV falling off as people lap me...
One week to go :shit:

Don't worry...so long as your holding a line thats consistant and we can see what your doing, and things arn't getting too last lap desprate, you'll be fine...:rockon:
the national's is the biggest buzz (maybe bar Wanaganui and Pareroa) to ride in NZ. Just go and have fun...thats what we are ALL there for (i think/hope..)

Two Smoker
16th February 2007, 20:01

Cool? No.
Hoon? No.
Homo? Yes.

JayRacer37
16th February 2007, 20:04
Cool? No.
Hoon? No.
Homo? Yes.

!!!! 1.26 in a road car!! was Mummy timing....:nono:
:innocent:

Skunk
16th February 2007, 20:52
Fuck man, I did that in my 72 Valiant!

JayRacer37
16th February 2007, 20:55
Fuck man, I did that in my 72 Valiant!

yea, round the club circuit..... :yes:
hahaha good effort

gav
16th February 2007, 23:18
Don't worry...so long as your holding a line thats consistant and we can see what your doing, and things arn't getting too last lap desprate, you'll be fine...:rockon:
the national's is the biggest buzz (maybe bar Wanaganui and Pareroa) to ride in NZ. Just go and have fun...thats what we are ALL there for (i think/hope..)
You mean like Dan McLaughlin into the dipper at Ruapuna with Sam Smith and Craig Shirriffs? What could possibly go wrong, aye? :innocent:

Cleve
17th February 2007, 11:10
You mean like Dan McLaughlin into the dipper at Ruapuna with Sam Smith and Craig Shirriffs? What could possibly go wrong, aye? :innocent:

ummm yeah... exactly...:bye:

JayRacer37
17th February 2007, 14:16

Yes, so long as things arn't getting too desparate...that was a pretty outta control move by Sam. Hoping for everyones sakes it doesn't happen again.

Shaun
17th February 2007, 14:40
Yes, so long as things arn't getting too desparate...that was a pretty outta control move by Sam. Hoping for everyones sakes it doesn't happen again.

Not out of control mate, Just fully focused on WINNING RACES

White trash
17th February 2007, 14:44
Exactly what I thought. Sam even said later in his interview that he wasn't going to back off for anything and let Craig get by him on the last lap. Craig then said he would have done exactly the same thing.

Crasherfromwayback
17th February 2007, 15:04

You of all people know it mate! Whatever it takes to win!
Shit, I know I've done some pretty hairy (but not dangerous, there IS a difference) things....

Shaun
17th February 2007, 15:07
You of all people know it mate! Whatever it takes to win!
Shit, I know I've done some pretty hairy (but not dangerous, there IS a difference) things....

Funny eh, some times a bit of mongrel to get the job done! Take a look at Fogorty

Crasherfromwayback
17th February 2007, 15:10
Funny eh, some times a bit of mongrel to get the job done! Take a look at Fogorty

Yeah.....he even looked like one! I'm sure that's why he was as aggressive as he was.....fuck he's one UGLY MoFo!

Shaun
17th February 2007, 15:13
Yeah.....he even looked like one! I'm sure that's why he was as aggressive as he was.....fuck he's one UGLY MoFo!

Very Rich and very fast though mate

I actually think he is the best all round racer of all time!

World F1 Championships
World Superbike championships
IOMTT winner

And O so close to the podium with Cagive GP500

He new how to race a bike

Crasherfromwayback
17th February 2007, 15:20
Very Rich and very fast though mate

I actually think he is the best all round racer of all time!

World F1 Championships
World Superbike championships
IOMTT winner

And O so close to the podium with Cagive GP500

He new how to race a bike

He was fucking good no two ways about it...they all are at that level lets face it! He had it pretty good with the rules though with his Dukes I reckon.
Look what happened when he joined Slighty on the RC45??

To me....Doohan (world supers win as a wild card in Aust......I think he won an 8 hour at Suzuka? too) then became the machine he was on a 500 as a bashed semi cripple!

gav
18th February 2007, 07:05
Fogarty always gets bagged for the one season on the RC45 doesnt he. His 4 race wins to Slightys 1 is pretty good, dont you think? How do you think he'd have gone if he'd stayed another year and the bike could have been modified to hie own personal preference?

JayRacer37
19th February 2007, 16:35

Oh Sh*t didn't realise what that read like......
As with everyone else who saw it live, at that point on the last lap of the NZ GP title race, given the chance, I'd have been right where Sam was...he needed to be. What happened was a shame, but shit happens. Hoping that it doesn't happen again...:rockon:
But racings racing. Sometimes you "gotta do what ya gotta do"

Crasherfromwayback
19th February 2007, 16:44
Fogarty always gets bagged for the one season on the RC45 doesnt he. His 4 race wins to Slightys 1 is pretty good, dont you think? How do you think he'd have gone if he'd stayed another year and the bike could have been modified to hie own personal preference?

No.....I think it's only another motorcycle, he had the same equipment avail to him as Slight, and he couldn't get it to work for him until he copied Slights set up.
He also had a RATHER unfair advantage in his Ducati days.
As I've said.....obviously he was pretty fucking good......but I think there've been a lot better.

Did Eddie Lawson have trouble going from 250GP, to a Z1000R based whale, to a KR500 and back? Then on to a YZR500 and then an NSR 500....all the while winning Suzuka 8 hours in between? See him bitch about "This bike doesn't suit me.....boohoo..."?

That's all I mean....

Bykmad
19th February 2007, 22:19
The American mentioned way back in thi thread on the GP250 was Mike Sullivan, who came out with Bruce Lind. Another Cosford spectacular.

gav
19th February 2007, 22:33
No.....I think it's only another motorcycle, he had the same equipment avail to him as Slight, and he couldn't get it to work for him until he copied Slights set up.
He also had a RATHER unfair advantage in his Ducati days.
As I've said.....obviously he was pretty fucking good......but I think there've been a lot better.

Did Eddie Lawson have trouble going from 250GP, to a Z1000R based whale, to a KR500 and back? Then on to a YZR500 and then an NSR 500....all the while winning Suzuka 8 hours in between? See him bitch about "This bike doesn't suit me.....boohoo..."?

That's all I mean....
Not sure I've heard Fogarty bitch and moan about the Honda like that. At the end of the day, Ducati wanted him back real bad and made him an offer he couldnt refuse, a chance to be a one man team on his own running top spec Ducati's. Can't say I blame him too much. Not sure that Fogarty really ever had the ability to set up a bike that well either, thought he was always in the "get on and wring its neck" type category ala Wayne Gardner.
Eddie Lawson was pretty smart too, he wasnt keen to stay a second year on that NSR either, was he?
But yeah, I've always rated Lawson as one of the best ever.

Crasherfromwayback
20th February 2007, 21:58
Eddie Lawson was pretty smart too, he wasnt keen to stay a second year on that NSR either, was he?
But yeah, I've always rated Lawson as one of the best ever.

Didn't need to. Won the championship in his first and only year on it (unlike Fogarty). I don't think he did a second stint on it did he?
Evil piece of crap it was that year too....so anyone that had to ride it said!

Notice how some riders have never been able to go from Dunlop then to Michelin etc? (Crafar, Haga...)
Eddie won on Goodyear, Dunlop & Michelin. Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda and Cagiva.

Eddie was pretty good alright!

gav
20th February 2007, 22:50
Don't forget that Eddie Lawsons Rothmans Honda team mate apart from Wayne Gardner was a rookie Michael Doohan! How well did he do, imagine that bike in your first season. Mind you, think the journo's dubbed him Dead by June Doohan! :gob: