PDA

View Full Version : North Island Road Trip, Jan 2007: Any Advice?

ceebie13
22nd November 2006, 07:49
Mrs Ceebie and I have planned a mammoth circum-navigation of the North Island in January. I am presently pouring over maps and have the itinerary planned. We are staying with family at certain stops and in hotels/motels on the other dates. I have a copy of Great Escapes , but any additional advice or recommendations from personal experience would be gratefully received regarding good (or bad) coffee/lunch stops, must sees, short deviations to take in a great road etc etc. This is a first for me as I have not yet seen these parts of NZ since I got here in 2004. Can't wait! The itinerary is as follows:

Day 1: 9th Jan. Upper Hutt - Ashcott(SH50) - family
Day 2: 10th Jan. Ashcott - Gisborne
Day 3: 11th Jan. Gisborne - Whakatane (via East Cape)
Day 4: 12th Jan. Exploring East Cape
Day 5: 13th Jan. Whakatane - Coromandel
Day 6 & 7: 14/15th Jan. Exploring Coromandel
Day 8: 16th Jan. Coromandel - Auckland
Day 9: 17th Jan. Off-bike day in Auckland
Day10: 18th Jan. Auckland - Pukenui (family)
Day11: 19th Jan. Exploring the North
Day12: 20th Jan. Pukenui - Auckland (more family)
Day13: 21st Jan. Auckland - Te Awamutu
Day14: 22nd Jan.Te Awamutu - New Plymouth
Day15: 23rd Jan.New Plymouth - Upper Hutt
Day16: Massage arse

Blackbird
22nd November 2006, 08:15
At places where you can't stay with family or friends, have a look at the Top 10 cabins (www.top10.co.nz/). They are of a high standard and cabins are about $50/night for two. We're using them wherever possible during our South Island Tour in March. Your itinerary doesn't look too bad for the time available - you'd need weeks to do everything! You don't say what the actual dates are but we're likely to be at our beach place just outside Coromandel Town for a fair bit of January and you'd be most welcome to stop in for a bite to eat if we're there.

Cheers

Geoff

Zukin
22nd November 2006, 08:17
Hi there

You are about a month early
We are leaving Hawkes Bay on the 3rd February on our around NZ Charity ride.
We are going the same way as you :)

Napier to Hicks Bay
Hicks Bay to Coromandel
Coromandel to Russell
Russell to Kaitaia (via Cape Reinga)
Kaitaia to Auckland
Auckland to New Plymouth
New Plymouth to Wellington

If you are flexible with your dates let me know and I will send you the info
Not only will you get to ride some fantastic roads, but ride with the company of others and at the same time have joy on the fact that you are helping someone with Cancer :yes:

Cheers Scott

ceebie13
22nd November 2006, 08:42
If you are flexible with your dates let me know and I will send you the info
Not only will you get to ride some fantastic roads, but ride with the company of others and at the same time have joy on the fact that you are helping someone with Cancer :yes:
Cheers Scott

Sadly, Scott, all accom is booked and families notified so can't really shift things. Thanks anyway and good luck!
Rich

MSTRS
22nd November 2006, 08:57
Day 2: Ashcott - Gisborne
Day 3: Gisborne - Whakatane (via East Cape)

If you have time, change it to include a jaunt into the Waioeka Gorge (Gisborne - Opotiki). The Cape is brilliant, but best if done clockwise. The gorge would need to be done twice in that case tho.

Yarg
22nd November 2006, 19:48
If you could fit it in, spend a night at Hicks bay which is about half way round the east cape. very historic and great morning views.Need to book tho.:yes:

Roj
28th November 2006, 10:21
If you get the chance you should head up north to cape Reianga and ride 90 mile beach, did it on my CB5750K in 2001, started at TePaki stream, had a quick stop at the giant sand dunes, then rode along the stream to the beach and then cruised all the way down again

Macktheknife
28th November 2006, 10:32
What.... no looking at the great touristy type stuff around Waitomo? some good roads there too.

ceebie13
1st December 2006, 09:40
What.... no looking at the great touristy type stuff around Waitomo? some good roads there too.

Been there, done that...seen a rabbit having a shave!
Bought the tee-shirt, paid the money...saw some glow worms in a cave.
:done:

Highlander
1st December 2006, 20:51
If you are keen enough to post dates you might find some volunteers as local guides / riding companions (unless keeping to yourselves was the plan).

ceebie13
4th December 2006, 08:12
If you are keen enough to post dates you might find some volunteers as local guides / riding companions (unless keeping to yourselves was the plan).

It would be great to meet up with riders en route. Anyone is welcome to tag along at any stage. Our daily schedule is pretty tight though so I doubt we'd be able to deviate too much. See edited thread starter for details.

James Deuce
4th December 2006, 08:14
I've got some advice. Go to the South Island.

ceebie13
4th December 2006, 16:28
I've got some advice. Go to the South Island.

Is that a geographical recommendation, Jim, or an unsubtle hint? lol

James Deuce
4th December 2006, 16:41
Lol - sorry it DID sound a bit harsh on reflection.

The South Island as a motorcyclist's dream. You'll have a ball doing the North Island too, but try to go South as soon as possible.

One of the problems with the North Island traffic is the easy access for Auckland drivers. They really are out of their depth over 30 km/hr and surrounded by green stuff.

ceebie13
4th December 2006, 16:51
I'd love to do the South Island, Jim, ...and I will. But we thought we'd ring the changes a bit this year and stay on this side of the ditch. You see, the outlaws reside in Christchurch and if we went to the SI, it would cause all manner of consternation (and constipation for that matter) if we didn't tell them that we were on that rock and failed to pop in...for a week! So we were brutally honest and told 'em we were headed oop North! Bliss!

.... but try to go South as soon as possible.

You mean before the Antarctic melts?

James Deuce
4th December 2006, 16:53
You mean before the Antarctic melts?

The only roads that matter are in hills and mountains anyway, so they'll be sweet.

Zapf
10th December 2006, 17:01
should be able to pick you up on the 16th at the Miranda turn off coming from Coro. And take u up the coast for some fish and chips :) and the local roads. What time are you leaving Coro and from where?