PDA

View Full Version : Sealing New Exhaust System

pervert
22nd November 2006, 13:46
I've just picked-up a used 2 into 1 Backfire system for my GPX.

It's a 4 piece unit, and where the first pipes meet the 2>1 section each pipe just slides into the next (which is slightly larger obviously). The pipes are held in place by the rest of the system being bolted on.

Do I need to use any kind of exhaust sealant on this join? It doesn't look like any has been used in the past...but I thought just having two pipes slid into each other wouldn't be enough of a seal?

Any knowledgable suggestions welcomed.

MSTRS
22nd November 2006, 13:51
Depends on whether the muffler causes much backpressure. Should be fine with a straight-through system. Otherwise, use an exhaust sealer.

Postie
22nd November 2006, 14:02
use a sealer or ring clamp. If it leaks, your loosing horsepower.

pervert
22nd November 2006, 14:05
Any recommended sealers...would Maniseal be OK or would I be better off with something else?

Postie
22nd November 2006, 14:22
I have some sealer left over from when I fixed a hole in my exhaust on my CBR400, I can't remember exactly what it is, but I'll have a look when I get home. It had a clamp with it that you tighten with a screw driver and the edges were clipped so it took the shape of the exhaust. The sealer goes between the clamp and exhaust to get a good seal and it looked really tidy. I bought it from repco or supercheap, one of those two anyway.
Or since you have no hole, just buy a meatal clamp that you can tighten and loosen off again if you need to remove the exhaust in future.

Shaun
22nd November 2006, 14:31
Any Exhaust POO will do

Motu
22nd November 2006, 14:35
Just use a cheap silicon,so long as the gaps aren't too big it will do fine.Orange or red are best for the ''I did it myself'' look.

TLDV8
22nd November 2006, 14:38
Any recommended sealers...would Maniseal be OK or would I be better off with something else?

Yoshimura systems are a spigot fit and work fine as is.
I use high temp never seize so it is easy to disassemble,use that white exhaust cement at your own peril.If it is the one that bakes hard it will be a !@#$ to get apart next time.
Orange high temp silicon works much better if the joint is that loose...fwiw

Postie
22nd November 2006, 14:41
Just use a cheap silicon,so long as the gaps aren't too big it will do fine.Orange or red are best for the ''I did it myself'' look.

I take it that you use a professional colour sealant Motu?
Oddly enough, I have seen plenty of mechanics (obviously well dodgy ones) use orange copper sealant all over the place. The guy that did my last engine job looked like he forgot about bolts and tried to glue the engine back together, he even covered the exhaust and inlet manifold in it for some reason. This was not a cheap mechanic, he was even MTA accredited, but that means fuck all anyway.

Paul in NZ
22nd November 2006, 15:49
Use a hi temp silicone - MUCH better than maniseal and easy to get rid of afterwards

Motu
22nd November 2006, 16:22
I take it that you use a professional colour sealant Motu?

I have Wurth Special 250 in a cartridge - it's grey and makes me look like I know what I'm doing.Actualy the top grade Loctite/Permatex OE grade is ''copper'' and looks yuk,so I use the next lower grade in grey.Black if I can get it,but not often available in OE grade.