PDA

View Full Version : GSXR600 K2/K3 setup

Coldkiwi
14th July 2004, 12:17
I've had the gixxer for 8 months now and i'm loving it. I'm starting to wonder though if I'm not missing out on something by not tuning all the suspension adjustments that are available. I noticed teh rear end was moving a bit under brakes on my last hard ride (possibly cause I had 32 in the rear tyre?) and I wondered if a suspension change could calm this down.
The only changes from stock have been to drop the forks 5mm further through the triple clamp and ignore the idiot tyre pressure recommendations (now normally 30/30 Fr/Rr).

I know there's plenty of gsxr600 riders on the site and most of you are fairly (if not freakin) fast. I like to ride that way to so what sort of setup changes have you guys made that have helped the show when pushing?
I'm about 70kg.

thanks in advance!

Cajun
14th July 2004, 12:19
I know the feeling cold kiwi, i wanna setup my suspension for me, but with mine being a new model with usd forks there is no tuneing giudes yet, want to wait for the next track day i can get WT to help set it up for me

nicko
14th July 2004, 12:50
Hey Coldy,

Got plenty of mags with Gixxer 600 setup tips you're welcome to borrow. I've been lucky and my 600's have all had Ohlins bits in them so can't really comment how the setup would cross over to yours. Most roadies I've ridden just need a bit of firming up. You'd do well with an Ohlins shock and there's a few ex race 600's that are getting split up with their race goodies - I know a few guys getting rid of bits so give me a yell if you need anything.

Gonna have my other 600 (Johan's old one) on the road hopefully in the next month or so, so we'll go for a hoon then.

White trash
14th July 2004, 12:53
Can't help sorry, C/K. My set up is secret. :whistle:

Actually, I just went half a turn back on compression both ends. 1/4 turn back on the rebound both ends and that's it.

Lower the front sprocket by 1 tooth. That's a good improvement.

Any thing you do like more ride height in the rear or sliding the forks through the clamps will make your bike worse on the road.

If you want to go really fast, I've got a 750K4 arriving in a month and a half with your name on it.

Cajun
14th July 2004, 12:57
hmmmm 750k4 thats what i want, now i just gotta need to mount the 750 engine in my 600 frame dc:<

Motoracer
14th July 2004, 13:12
I have been running about 32-34 (front) and 33-36 (rear) on the road. On the last track day I tried 30 (front) and 32 (rear). In the wet, I'd drop a few PSIs to be on the safe side too.

I can be between 66-70 Kgs.

So far, I haven't had any handling issues with the bike. She's so purrrfect! :rolleyes:

scroter
14th July 2004, 15:25
I did the whole static sag thing and my front preload wnded up almost all the way in. had trouble with bottoming out before that. rear was pretty much right

Drunken Monkey
14th July 2004, 17:09
Any thing you do like more ride height in the rear or sliding the forks through the clamps will make your bike worse on the road.

I don't have any problems with that, but then I don't know it any other way. All the bike mags say to drop the front and jack up the back, but those guys are ex-racing nutters than think anything slower than the gixxer thou is 'wank'.

I personally think the best thing for you to do is experiment. Mark down your current settings, then start fiddling. Won't hurt to take the front down a couple of turns and see what happens. What suits mister superbike mag won't necessarily suit you. Plus, as above, change it to suit your riding: Maybe making some concessions for road riding in order to extract more on the track will suit you if you commute at a sedate pace and push the limits at the track. If you're the kind of guy that likes to push the limit on the road during the weekends, then heed WT's advice...

Wenier
14th July 2004, 17:59
Hey WT wut does the Z in GSXR600Z actually mean anything or not? apart from model this is.

White trash
15th July 2004, 07:31
Hey WT wut does the Z in GSXR600Z actually mean anything or not? apart from model this is.

"Z" means it's a Canadian market bike.

Cajun
15th July 2004, 07:40
bloody canadains

Drunken Monkey
15th July 2004, 10:47
"Z" means it's a Canadian market bike.

No, you mean:

"Z" means it's a Canadian market bike, eehhhhh