PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in Trouble

dangerman
14th July 2004, 12:23
Hi Everyone

This is my first attempt, so please excuse any stuff ups

Can any one advise how to remove scuff marks from plastic panels
I have just bought a new Yamy Xt 600 and have already put a couple of minor scuff marks on the plastic panel behind the seat while getting my leg over

And how do I get rid of the L-plate rider icon ??

merv
14th July 2004, 13:03
Scuffs in plastic panels that are unpainted are just about impossible to rid forever, but any sort of visor cleaner like Slipstreamer or Plexus is about as good as you will get. You can try polish like Simonz Liquid Diamond too and give it a good rub and then clean it with the plastic cleaner afterwards.

riffer
14th July 2004, 13:23
How do I get rid of the L-plate rider icon ??
It's easy dangerman. Just keep posting! :niceone:

dangerman
14th July 2004, 16:29
thanks merv
I'll let you know how I get on

regards
Dangerman

Ms Piggy
14th July 2004, 16:36
Welcome Dangerman! Lotsa good people round here & good to see another mainlander :niceone: So tell us a bit more about you...or maybe you have and I'm too slack to have noticed!

moko
14th July 2004, 17:16
A mate did the same thing to my XT when I gave him a lift once,could have brained the stupid bastard,not a lot you can do about it really.I loved that bike,only bummer was the stupid plastic bits that screw onto the side of the tank to make it look as if it`s water-cooled,pointless,crap and both mine shook apart within the warranty period.My dealer`s got a new TT600 for sale for the same price as i paid for the XT 2 years ago,I`m torn,if I could afford to buy it and keep the Fazer I would.Bit drastic i know but your best bet is to get yourself a new tailpiece but dont put it on until you`ve got used to the bike.They`re high off the ground and when I first got mine I swung my leg over and booted the tank of some poor sod`s Aprilia 1000,pretty quick getaway after that one.

Motu
14th July 2004, 17:36
Welcome,I've got an XT400E,basicaly an XT600E running on only one cylinder.

Tell me Danger Man - what was with the big floating balls,very mysterious they were....

merv
14th July 2004, 18:55
thanks merv
I'll let you know how I get on

regards
Dangerman

The other thing is buy some scuffproof film and stick it on where you are likely to kick the plastic so it won't happen again.

See the pic, here's my DR250R just before I traded it. I stuck scuffproof on the tank (steel one it is) and on the plastic sidecovers below the seat when it was new in 1998 to protect all the bits with the Suzuki graphics on it and many trail rides and adventure rides later after 5.5 years use you will see the bike still looked brand new.

dangerman
14th July 2004, 19:50
The other thing is buy some scuffproof film and stick it on where you are likely to kick the plastic so it won't happen again.

See the pic, here's my DR250R just before I traded it. I stuck scuffproof on the tank (steel one it is) and on the plastic sidecovers below the seat when it was new in 1998 to protect all the bits with the Suzuki graphics on it and many trail rides and adventure rides later after 5.5 years use you will see the bike still looked brand new.

Bening a newbie, I'm not sure if this is the right way to reply but anyway -
Is scuffproof a brand name, what kind of shop would sell it (auto supplies or handy man supplies). Does it come off again easily and not leave leave any adhesvie marks

Thanks for your help

merv
14th July 2004, 20:12
Motorbike shops sell Scuffproof (probably goes under other brand names but they'll know what you mean) in usually 0.5m or 1m lengths I think about 350mm wide (that's without going to my garage to check my roll of the stuff) and you just cut it to fit and stick it one making sure you smooth it all out nicely and make sure no bubbles of air are under it. If you pull it off it will leave some sticky behind but that can be removed with polish like Liquid Diamond.

Other guys on this site actually recommended a newer type of stick on coating that can be removed more easily - I'll have to see if I can find that link unless someone beats me to it.

Basically you'd need a flatish surface to stick the stuff on and I'm not sure what you want to protect. If its a moulding with all kinds of shapes and bumps on it this stuff would be no good. A smooth back mudguard or a side panel like on my DR were fine.

Kickaha
14th July 2004, 20:22
Is scuffproof a brand name, what kind of shop would sell it (auto supplies or handy man supplies). Does it come off again easily and not leave leave any adhesvie marks

Thanks for your help

Welcome Dangerman,Quite often Dirt bike shops will carry it in stock and if they don't have it should be able to point you in the right direction.

Do you attend any road racing,I'll be down at Levels next month so come and say hello.

dangerous
14th July 2004, 21:33

Thanks for your help

emmm........ :spudwave: interesting name you have there :whistle: and I see that you live on the right Is be it a little chilly at the mo.

Other guys on this site actually recommended a newer type of stick on coating that can be removed more easily - I'll have to see if I can find that link unless someone beats me to it.

Yeah merv that was a thread of mine I think. The new protection film that I got is a non sticky type as in it clings to the tank/s-pannels by statics some how so yes you can peel it off again real easy.
I ordered it from the US and is a bloody good product called Tankslapper.

scumdog
14th July 2004, 21:45
Motu quote:"Tell me Danger Man - what was with the big floating balls,very mysterious they were...."

Same guy, different series, the big balls were on the series The Prisoner", Patrick Magoohan (spl) was the main actor in the two series, my favourite was Dangerman, I found The Prisoner too weird man. :bye:

Posh Tourer :P
14th July 2004, 21:59

That looks about right... the button in far lower right is quick reply which will reply without a quote... want to quote a post, then hit reply on the post you want to quote. This (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=747&highlight=keyboard+spankme) is the reason why you are an L-plate rider

Zed
14th July 2004, 22:46
Hi Everyone

I have just bought a new Yamy Xt 600 and have already put a couple of minor scuff marks on the plastic panel behind the seat while getting my leg over

Hi Mr L-Plate rider - welcome. You will graduate from being an L-Plate rider once your posts reach a certain number. :rolleyes:

The scuff marks should come off if you carefully apply a small amount of "rubbing compound" or "cutting polish" to the affected area. Be careful not to rub too hard though or else you will tarnish the paintwork. Repco have such products as Turtle, Simoniz (Liquid Diamond is more of a polish than a cutter) and Repo chemicals available.

Enjoy your stay dangerman.

Zed

moko
15th July 2004, 01:58
Same guy, different series, the big balls were on the series The Prisoner", Patrick Magoohan (spl) was the main actor in the two series, my favourite was Dangerman, I found The Prisoner too weird man. :bye:

There`s STILL loads of debate on what that was all about,I`m suprised no-ones re-made it yet as anything that provokes so much debate after 30-odd years must have some kind of appeal to those who`ve never seen it.pretty amazing it even got on screen back in those days because t.v. companies were very conservative back then and it was definately off the wall surreal and downright weird.

Bob
15th July 2004, 03:38
There`s STILL loads of debate on what that was all about,I`m suprised no-ones re-made it yet as anything that provokes so much debate after 30-odd years must have some kind of appeal to those who`ve never seen it.pretty amazing it even got on screen back in those days because t.v. companies were very conservative back then and it was definately off the wall surreal and downright weird.

There have been a couple of Hollywood attempts to remake The Prisoner, but they've collapsed at one stage or another.

I hope there is never a remake - there is no way they will grasp the feel of the original. Especially if the US do it. I've got the Prisoner DVD box set - yes, all 17 episodes, plus masses of other information (you won't get it etc). For the US market, they had to make a different 1st episode so they had more chance of understanding what was going on!

If Hollywood get hold of it, they'll put someone like The Rock in the title role and it will be all explosions and huge stunts with none of the original psychological tension. And somehow The Village will be in whereever the latest 'threat' to Merkin society is perceived to be - again missing the point - was The Village run by another state, or was it OUR own people who ran it?

One of the worst Simpsons I ever saw was their Prisoner tribute - and those guys are way sharper than most out there. Even if the latest series seems to be losing direction.

Motu
15th July 2004, 07:22
Motu quote:"Tell me Danger Man - what was with the big floating balls,very mysterious they were...."

AAAHHHH! you are old enough to remember it,but not lose your memory like me! The actor just triggers the memories and lumps it altogether eh.There was a Dangerman Man song too.

RiderInBlack
15th July 2004, 07:23
Yeah merv that was a thread of mine I think. The new protection film that I got is a non sticky type as in it clings to the tank/s-pannels by statics some how so yes you can peel it off again real easy.
I ordered it from the US and is a bloody good product called Tankslapper.This is the link to Dangerous's thread on the portection film:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2810
By the way Dangerous, hows it working out? Any problems with it? Any signs that it is pealling or coming un stuck? Need an update:niceone:

dangerman
15th July 2004, 08:26
Thanks guys for your warm welcome and great advice
My signature name seems to have caused some discussion also.
It came about as follows: I'm knocking 50 yrs, I was around at my 85 year old mother's place the other day dressed in my full biking regalia - she said I looked like dangerman !@#$%^&*
The name sounded vaguely familiar so I looked it up on the web and found it was the name of a TV series back in the 1960's featuring a sort of Jame Bond character. That jogged my memory and I can now vaguely remember it, and The Prisoner as well. Where this came from out of my mothers head I'll never know. Anyway, after that how could I use any other signature name??

Regards
Dangerman - Ace of Spies - hang on that was Riley

merv
15th July 2004, 12:54
You've changed the heading to troubles solved - so did you clean up the scuffs OK?

dangerman
15th July 2004, 13:22
You've changed the heading to troubles solved - so did you clean up the scuffs OK?

Not yet Merv, but at least I now have some solutions !!
I'll let you know the results

dangerous
15th July 2004, 21:03
This is the link to Dangerous's thread on the portection film:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2810
By the way Dangerous, hows it working out? Any problems with it? Any signs that it is pealling or coming un stuck? Need an update:niceone:

Na mate there aint no problems with the stuff at all.... apart from the fact that there was one inpatent (*sp) prick putting it on as there is a few small bubbles under it, but thats cool as it lifts of easy enough.
It cant come un stuck as the static vinal product dosent 'stick' anyway.
A mate brought the stick on film from the same crowd and he did a better job at appliying it than me and he has had no probs either, its amazing how transperent it is.

scumdog
15th July 2004, 22:06
If you're putting on sticky film spray the area with water like real fine spray (mixed with soap if you want), it makes it easier if you have to peel it off and restart.
Did the lower part of my forks like that as well as the rear of my petrol tank and front of the air filter, keeps the stone chips down. :niceone:

moko
16th July 2004, 18:32
AAAHHHH! you are old enough to remember it,but not lose your memory like me! The actor just triggers the memories and lumps it altogether eh.There was a Dangerman Man song too.

I dont remember the song but the theme music has stuck in my head all these years.Last thing I saw Patrick Macgoohan in was Scanners when his head exploded,same kind of effect watching "The Prisoner" had on me :mellow:

moko
16th July 2004, 18:38
Did you lot in N.Z. get the Dangermouse cartoon?kind of a spoof I suppose on the same theme,very,very popular here for years.
Bob mentioned "The Rock",he was interviewed on the radio here last week and I must admit to having a lot of pre-conceptions mashed.Very eloquent,intelligent guy,modest and basically totally opposite to what I was expecting.

dangerman
19th July 2004, 08:29
I did a search on 'danger man' and one of the sites had the theme music able to be downloaded - there were other that had records of dangerman music for sale

some things never die !

LB
20th July 2004, 05:14
Hi Dangerman, and welcome to KB. I don't remember the Prisoner or Dangerman, mainly cos we didn't have a tele for a while. I do remember people talking about the programmes though.

I've put Tankslapper on my 1000, it's great stuff, no signs of peeling or anything yet. A few tiny bubbles but nothing major. The tank is quite curved where my knees go so it's quite fiddly to get every single little bubble out. I don't like the way adhesive clear stuff gets all dirty round the edges, and so far I'm very pleased with my Tankslapper. I'll try to find the original thread and post the link - Airplane put me onto it.

You live in a nice place Dangerman, the road to Fairlie/Geraldine/Mackenzie country is wonderful. Bet it's cold though.

LB
20th July 2004, 05:19
I've found the thread - actually it was Dangerous who put us onto Tankslapper (apologies for that D!) - the reason I thought it was Airplane is that Airplane got some and fitted it and I went round and had a look at it. (Only cos you're too far away to pop round to on a Sunday avo Dangerous)

Anyway, the thread is http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2810

It's very thin, and virtually invisible on the bike.

dangerman
20th July 2004, 12:28
Thanks for yr help Lynda - I'll follow that lead - (as D-man would have said)

Mongoose
20th July 2004, 12:58
Did you lot in N.Z. get the Dangermouse cartoon?kind of a spoof I suppose on the same theme,very,very popular here for years.
Bob mentioned "The Rock",he was interviewed on the radio here last week and I must admit to having a lot of pre-conceptions mashed.Very eloquent,intelligent guy,modest and basically totally opposite to what I was expecting.

Yep, we did get dangermouse here Moko, years ago and I can barely remember it. :disapint:

Mongoose
20th July 2004, 13:04

Yep, got Dangermouse here too Moko, so long ago I can not realy remember it but can remember the name. :crazy:

James Deuce
20th July 2004, 13:10

David Jason did Dangermouse's voice. Loved that cartoon. The Rock is a dude. I saw him on Letterman a month or so ago, and he was as you say very eloquent, and very respectful too. Must be the Samoan upbringing.

RiderInBlack
20th July 2004, 17:48
The Rock is a dude.Got to start somewhere. You remember Arnies first movies (In "Conan" all he said was "Crom", now you cann't get him from making weak puns throughout his movies):whistle: The Rock is already doing better than Arnie was (Shit at this rate they may have to make him Prezzie:rolleyes: :killingme ).

Redstar
20th July 2004, 20:51
Hi Everyone

you could jump on your Bike from behind like a Cossack :niceone:
and don't fret lots of us have problems getting our leg over :laugh:
If you want to get rid of your L plates answer every thread with
Wazz up? It worked for?

LB
21st July 2004, 05:32
If you get the tankslapper stuff, let me know and i'll give you the ratio of baby oil to water to spray on when you're putting it on.

chainsaw
21st July 2004, 22:17
Someone told me Pajero is Spanish for wanker
true or not, why do they always seem to go faster in the supermarket carpark?

James Deuce
21st July 2004, 23:30
Got to start somewhere. You remember Arnies first movies (In "Conan" all he said was "Crom", now you cann't get him from making weak puns throughout his movies):whistle: The Rock is already doing better than Arnie was (Shit at this rate they may have to make him Prezzie:rolleyes: :killingme ).

Well he certainly seems to have a few more lights on upstairs than the current guy :)

moko
22nd July 2004, 06:55
you could jump on your Bike from behind like a Cossack :niceone:

Definate knack to getting on the XT,once you`ve sussed it though you`ll not even think twice.I strained my leg getting on the bugger first day I had it,definately a lot to be said for Supermotos.
Redstar`s comment reminded me of the BMW R1100GS I hired in N.Z. a while ago,bloody monsterous thing.To get on(and the guy at the hire shop showed me this)you put one foot on one of the pegs and swing your leg over like mounting a horse.I have read however that a lot of BM`s get their sidestands shagged by people doing this.

deadwombat
4th March 2005, 18:45
Hey Illiakuryakin, I used to laquer my plastic bits. Didn't seem to hurt it none.