PDA

View Full Version : Bike swap NZ/UK

hec
23rd November 2006, 09:45
Ok so renting is expensive, buying seems the thing to do if you have the time but it takes me years to get my bike the way I want it ... I could ship a bike ..but
If anyone is thinking of a trip to the UK then would you be interested in a bike swap? I am planning a trip 3-4 weeks in March2007 to check out NZ with a view to emigrating - a bike tour has to be the way to do it.
I live in the Costwolds 2hrs from Heathrow - pick you up from Heathrow give you somewhere to crash until you get over the jet lag set you on your way on a choice of a 2006 TDM900 or a 1993 JX900 looking for the same in return.
I have no idea how the insurance might work or what other problems might be but I am already over the first hurdle I think I could be comfortable letting someone else ride my bike !

Freebird
23rd November 2006, 11:32
Sorry no bike it the mo, but you should make the move you won’t regret it, my wife and I came here for 3 month early this year from Lancashire (I’m from N’Ireland). We now live and work in Wellington get in touch if you make it this far we may be able to put you up, also we have travelled all over NZ so if your after any advice get in touch. :Punk:

Regards

Freebird

Aka Davey

hec
24th November 2006, 08:25
Thanks for the offer of advice freebird - will pm you if I need some straight answers they never seem to cover on the usual emigration sites like if you roll up on a bike do you get treated like a criminal (UK style) or a human being (France etc..).

Matt
10th January 2007, 09:46
Good idea, but IMO you would be better just renting one when you get here - insurance would be a major hassle for anyone on a Kiwi licence riding your bike in the UK - if you could find someone to do it the cost would probably run to $1000+

Matt

hec
12th January 2007, 11:19
Yes I guess you are right - is there anyone you would recommend for rental in wellington area then ? - I was considering flying into Wellington rather than auckland.

Matt
31st January 2007, 12:41
Sorry, not aware of any in Wgtn (doesn't mean there aren't any though!), they seem to be in Auckland or Christchurch...

Matt

Zapf
1st February 2007, 23:01
Hay Hec, what is the biking weather like in August?

The_Dover
2nd February 2007, 06:56

As it's mid-summer what do you think Einstein?

Fat Tony
2nd February 2007, 08:28

Should be spot on mate :sunny:

Crisis management
2nd February 2007, 08:35
As it's mid-summer what do you think Einstein?

Overcast with intermittent rain and some possibilities of snow.

No different to Auckland really.:innocent:

hec
2nd February 2007, 10:18
Overcast with intermittent rain and some possibilities of snow.

No different to Auckland really.:innocent:

Crisis Management - You got it spot on there - been watching your weather on windguru and it looks just like an English summer

Zapf - depends where the jet stream is channelling all the depressions that come in off the atlantic. Most often they are channelled directly over England so Cornwall in the south to the border county in the north - means wet and mild/cool with intermittent wet bits between the light rain especially in Wales and the west. This leaves Scotland with the chance of some of the best weather but with the midgies (flying things that eat you) which in turn leaves our little french chums with the guaranteed best weather. Dont get me wrong sometimes it goes all wrong and the stream of depressions are pushed north and we get the French weather (glorious Augusts) and Scotland gets the wet weather (for the Scotts this will make it 12 out of 12 months straight with heavy rain interspersed with light rain and the odd Scots mist).

James Deuce
2nd February 2007, 10:29
Good idea, but IMO you would be better just renting one when you get here - insurance would be a major hassle for anyone on a Kiwi licence riding your bike in the UK - if you could find someone to do it the cost would probably run to $1000+

Matt

More like $3000, but it isn't a hassle. It is very easy to organise. Just expensive.

Dances With Poultry
11th February 2007, 19:53
What about Bike Share World? www.bikeshareworld.com
I have been a member for about 6 years and it's worked well for me. Borrowed a bike in Aussie and England, and lent a bike out about 6 times in NZ.

Cheers

The Turkey Tango

hec
12th February 2007, 03:20
What about Bike Share World? www.bikeshareworld.com
I have been a member for about 6 years and it's worked well for me. Borrowed a bike in Aussie and England, and lent a bike out about 6 times in NZ.

Cheers

The Turkey Tango

Thanks for the link I will check it out. As other posters have suggested insurance in the UK seems to be the stumbling block - my insurer wont even entertain the idea of adding a named rider for <12months or who is not resident in the uk.
Out of interest when you visited the UK how did you do the insurance thing?

Fat Tony
12th February 2007, 06:13
This *may* be of use:

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/insurance/motorcycle/frequently_asked_questions

"If you want to add an additional temporary motorcycle or an additional rider to your insurance you can contact us and we can arrange for the motorcycle or rider to be added to your insurance subject to normal restrictions. We will then send you an amended schedule showing the additional motorcycle or rider."

Dances With Poultry
12th February 2007, 09:22
The people I borrowed the bike from just called their insurance company and said they had a friend who wanted to borrow the bike and what was the story. They were told only once per year was OK, but I'm sure that different companies will have different policies.
Regards

The Chicken Cha-Cha