PDA

View Full Version : The best leather jackets......

dawnrazor
23rd November 2006, 11:15
Am soon going to be buying a new leather jacket. I have tried on some SPIDI ones and I like them, have also tried on an ALPINESTARS one, and it was okay.

So in your own humble opinions, who makes the best leathers, who else should I look at?

I do want something reasonably sport biased, so none of that harley gubbins with tassles and little pockets for chewin' tabaccie!!!

cheers

TerminalAddict
23rd November 2006, 11:52
how many seconds until someone mentions http://www.quasimoto.co.nz

The_Dover
23rd November 2006, 11:52
he asked for the best..........

Cajun
23rd November 2006, 11:58
dawnrasor - alot of it comes down to quality

What might be best for one person is not really best for another or best over all.

Get which ever one floats your boat the most, by sound sof that its spidi.

Some people have to buy for a budget, so buy best for there budget, others have no budget, overs buy for a name.

dawnrazor
23rd November 2006, 12:17
thanks for that cajun, but I'm interested in what other people have got. its a big investment, and I want to be sure I have considered all the options -

dawnrazor
23rd November 2006, 12:20
how many seconds until someone mentions http://www.quasimoto.co.nz

he asked for the best..........

quasimoto.....na never heard of him........dover had the right of it though:gob:

Depends really... mine is just a stock standard black unbranded leather jacket, which suits me fine.

Cajun
23rd November 2006, 12:25
thanks for that cajun, but I'm interested in what other people have got. its a big investment, and I want to be sure I have considered all the options -

What best for one person is not always best for another, due to some companys cut there jackets for different fits.

But spidi, alpinestar, dainese are more of your uppermarket brand names. but in some ways you are paying a bit extra for there 'name'

Fishy
23rd November 2006, 12:30
Alpinestars TZ1 jackets are bloody awesome!. I have come off wearing it at pace on rough chip seal and slid up the road for about 60m and man it didn't even rip any stitching!. Absolutely awesome jackets!

The_Dover
23rd November 2006, 12:38
Revit gear looks pretty good, some fag was wearing it on the Coro loop last weekend (thought it was a fashion shoot I reckon).

Gericke is good stuff but you can't really source it out here.

Dainese seems expensive and over-rated if it doesn't have double stitching.

Arlen Ness gear always looked ok.

The_Dover
23rd November 2006, 12:41
Loch Ness I think.

Cajun
23rd November 2006, 12:48
Dainese dont do double stitching which means if the stitching gets damaged or rips while your on your ass sliding down the road your on your own..:dodge:

Don't really know much about dainese never really looked at them, but if the big boys wear mustn't be that bad, it really depends on your budget i guess by the lower end gear of there gear(which to expensive even at the lower end), doesn't sound that good then

Cajun
23rd November 2006, 12:57
Yeah but most of the moto gp suits are kangaroo skin and custom made. I imagine all the suits on there are double stiched or something better. Dainese suits of the shop floor are not double stitched.

Well that just shows everyone really, you can't just buy a product on brand name, and expect it be good, just cause its got one of the best names

---

Yeah i know most of there motogp suits are kangaroo and custom, but you still think the more high end suits $3k-$4k the more high end gear in there range would be double stiched.

Coyote
23rd November 2006, 13:00
Astar hav gots da stylez. That's what I'll be getting next

Pfft... dunno what all the fuss is about leather anyways... a bit of gravel rash adds character, and chicks dig scars!

The_Dover
23rd November 2006, 13:13
spool don't double stitch on anything of theirs I have seen.

Fishy
23rd November 2006, 13:18
Revit gear looks pretty good, some fag was wearing it on the Coro loop last weekend (thought it was a fashion shoot I reckon).

Oy, I have the same suit as Eddy!..... pretty eh!.

terbang
23rd November 2006, 13:43
Arlen Ness gear always looked ok.

Well what do ya know, Steve (ZRXer) wears an Arlen Ness jacket. The Haemotoma (bruise on his gut) looked bearable. Havn't seen his jacket though..

The_Dover
23rd November 2006, 14:09
do they do them in normal sizes too? to conserve the number of cows slaughtered for one mans vanity............and protection of course.

SPman
23rd November 2006, 14:28
Get whatever is most comfortable for you.

I was looking at Spidi when I got mine 5 yrs or so , ago, but the Spyke suit I tried was just so much more comfy - I bought that.

Saved my hide on a couple of occasions since, so I'm well pleased.

dawnrazor
23rd November 2006, 15:17
just to clarify here, I'm not looking for a fashion parade...I was meerly trying to do a little market research and find out what other people are buying and waht they make of them.

I find product reviews in kiwi and aussie bike mags to be piss poor at best, and sponsored at worst - so never trust those guys.

So far, I will look at some rev'it gear (thanks Dynamytus50), but not RJays (thanks again Dynamytus50) although they where not on the radar.

Dianese make nice stuff, but there isn't a retailer in NZ to the best of my knowledge and I'm not paying big money for a jacket I have never tried on to some website in belgium. Also all Dianese gear is not created equally, which could explain the single/double stiching issue. All the Dianese gear I've seen is double stiching.

I will have a look at Alpinestars, but to be honest - they seem a little over priced. Obviously I'm after some quality gear here, something I plan on keeping for as long as an ever increasing belly will allow.

I'm just not all that familiar with ALL the different makes and brands peculiar to this part of the word. If I was in the UK I'd look at Hein Geiken, or Ixon or Furygan or so on and so forth. I just want to be sure I have tried on all the options.

At the end of the day, I will OF COURSE buy the jacket that fits the best, is the most comfortable, has the best build quality etc etc etc, but I won't know that unless I try on a few options.

Its an unfortunate that pretty much all biker gear here can be divided into two camps - the bleeding expensive and the bleeding shite - not a great deal in the middle.

cheers

The_Dover
23rd November 2006, 15:20
oi, I said revit was good, not that pig.

dawnrazor
23rd November 2006, 15:26
oi, I said revit was good, not that pig.

actually you both did, thanks to you as well dover, Not sure about Arlen Ness though it comes very close to the harley shit, seriously I had aN Arlen Ness cordura jacket, just sold it - it was good but I wouldn't be in a rush to go back there.

TerminalAddict
23rd November 2006, 15:30
well I fucken love my sexy red quasimoto jacket.

if it had a cunt I would fuck it :nya:

The_Dover
23rd November 2006, 15:32

didn't it come with a free quasi?

dawnrazor
23rd November 2006, 17:19
well I fucken love my sexy red quasimoto jacket.

If it had a growler as you say, I'd be more concerned where the leather came from. Silence of the lambs anyone!

TerminalAddict
23rd November 2006, 18:04
didn't it come with a free quasi?

face it mate .. you want me :love:

geoffm
23rd November 2006, 21:33
My first set of leathers were tailr made Scarlatti ones (made by Graham De Jong - last heard he was in Mt Roskill). I had them for years, with some high speed bins on the track.
After they "shrunk" I cheaped out and got a set of AGV leathers because they were cheap, and I couldn't afford the made to measure again with house payments etc. The finishing isn't as good (some of the threads weren't trimmed that well, etc), but they seem to be ok otherwise.
Dainese are grossly overpriced IMO for what they are. You can get locally made to measure gear for less, in your colours and made to fit. Try MSW or Scarlatti (The Hughes Design Co) if they are still around.
Geoff

Paulus
23rd November 2006, 22:42
Dainese dont do double stitching which means if the stitching gets damaged or rips while your on your ass sliding down the road your on your own..:dodge:

I just took the liner out of my Dainese Pro-Tech suit and checked. Double (sometimes triple) stitched on many seams. Single on some but they don't seem to be key ones at holding the suit together in an accident. They make a lot of suits though and I believe a lot of the low end ones are now made in Vietnam not Italy.

If you are sport riding seriously then I'd go for a one piece suit over a jacket any day. It will definitely protect you better and you'll feel safer too (kind of like you're in your own personal fortress). A friend just bought a new Spyke one piece from Cycletreads and it seems well made and was under $2k.

BTW if you are after Dainese (I'm not saying you should) and want to try them on then Peter Stevens Motorcycles in Melbourne has an awesome selection. Something to consider next time you're in Oz anyway.

Paulus
23rd November 2006, 23:02
The ones i have seen certainly didnt, how much did your suit cost? is it one of their top of the line ones?

It was their top one back in 2002. Ghostrider used to use it in the 2 earliest movies. It was 1000 Euros with free shipping included from Bimoto in Belgium (on clearance). Ended up costing about $2200 here all up.

Pics of it when it was new:

FROSTY
23rd November 2006, 23:04
Im racing in a KBC suit that has stood up to 3 seasons of abuse --nuff said
crashed top of piecock at hrmph and 4 track crashes

My advice when looking for leathers to last is KISS --keep it simple
the less colours the better--less colors means less stitching to get munched--usually the weak point in a suit
also when your trying a suit/ or even a jacket--see how it feels on the bike --

Lou Girardin
24th November 2006, 05:43
All the top brands are excellent quality, go for the style you like.

lukelin250
24th November 2006, 16:26
i love the alpinestars stuff it looks the best,

TonyB
24th November 2006, 17:09
Dynamytus50- I'm curious to know how you've come to the decision that Dainese aren't double stitched. Are you talking about having 1 row visible on the outside, with another hidden row that can only be seen when the liner is out? The most important thing is that there must be at least one row of stitching that is hidden, on EVERY seam- ie if the visible row(s) wear through, the hidden row will hold the suit together and can not be worn through. There is no way of telling whether the hidden stitching exists without actually removing the liner.

Dawnrazor... so I assume you already have armoured leather pants? Not much point in only getting a jacket.

Scouse
24th November 2006, 17:54
do they do them in normal sizes too? to conserve the number of cows slaughtered for one mans vanity............and protection of course.Fuckin pot and the kettle

dawnrazor
24th November 2006, 18:20
Dawnrazor... so I assume you already have armoured leather pants? Not much point in only getting a jacket.

yeah, pants is all part of the plan, cooking something up right now, especially since I now need new gloves as well.

diggydog
24th November 2006, 18:36
i love the alpinestars stuff it looks the best,i dont no which are good,but was impressed with what fishy was saying about his alpinestars leathers, when he came a cropper and slid 60m.:yes: :rockon: :scooter:

TonyB
24th November 2006, 19:51
Fair enough. If they aren't double stitched then don't bother with them.

Quasievil
25th November 2006, 13:57
I guess I cant let this one slide

Leathers well fair comment to say that I dont have the BIG BRAND NAME,
(yet)
however I will absolutely state that my brand gear is going to perform as good if not better than the big brand names, 25 crashes to date and every one of my pieces of kit are still being worn, some have had three crashes (thanks can) and with this performance comes with half the price of bigger brands, my $369 jacket in equivalent quality in a big brand would be over $700, I know its my job to find out. Additionally I would suspect Im the worst brand in the eyes of my competitiors as Im taking them to the fucken cleaners on sales and Im going to continue.
So support the faceless brands if you want and pay moon beams to those that have been creaming it for years or suport me, who will be there on the trackday you come off at and support KB and its members more than I care to mention.
Leather comes from mostly Australia and Pakistan (both excellent leather producing countries) Armor CE approved, tags supplied, liner 3M thinsulate, Double Stitched Kevlar, thicker leather than most, New stretchy mesh Liner, YKK Zips, and from the same factory as some of those previously mentioned, go figure that one out boys n girls!!!

thats the advert, now over to you Dover n Co for ya smart comments, cheeky pricks (in Advance):dodge:

Later me gotto go see me mate Bono!!

Paulus
25th November 2006, 14:37
A friend just bought a new Spyke one piece from Cycletreads and it seems well made and was under $2k.

This suit was tested in anger today in a lowside crash on the Akaroa GP. Survived pretty well really with only some light scuffing and some of the Spyke naming ripped off the lower sleeve. No injury to the rider at all. Bike looks a little second hand though.

Point Google Earth to 43.45.28.30 S and 172.51.19.00 E to see the offending corner.

dawnrazor
25th November 2006, 14:52
I guess I cant let this one slide

Leathers well fair comment to say that I dont have the BIG BRAND NAME,
(yet)
however I will absolutely state that my brand gear is going to perform as good if not better than the big brand names, 25 crashes to date and every one of my pieces of kit are still being worn, some have had three crashes (thanks can) and with this performance comes with half the price of bigger brands, my $369 jacket in equivalent quality in a big brand would be over $700, I know its my job to find out. Additionally I would suspect Im the worst brand in the eyes of my competitiors as Im taking them to the fucken cleaners on sales and Im going to continue.
So support the faceless brands if you want and pay moon beams to those that have been creaming it for years or suport me, who will be there on the trackday you come off at and support KB and its members more than I care to mention.
Leather comes from mostly Australia and Pakistan (both excellent leather producing countries) Armor CE approved, tags supplied, liner 3M thinsulate, Double Stitched Kevlar, thicker leather than most, New stretchy mesh Liner, YKK Zips, and from the same factory as some of those previously mentioned, go figure that one out boys n girls!!!

thats the advert, now over to you Dover n Co for ya smart comments, cheeky pricks (in Advance):dodge:

Later me gotto go see me mate Bono!!

so WHO makes your gear then? Its not you is it. I assume you bulk buy from an asian manufacturer or similiar. Who are they owned by? If you can tell me, that your stuff is made by the same people that make.....any recognised manufactures name, I might listen.

I don't doubt the facts and figures, I'm just, for whatever reason, not convinced. I've be burnt in the past, been tempted by the cheaper gear, and regretted it, the thing with bike gear in general is you do tend to get what you pay for.

To be perfectly frank, I have looked at your stuff and I just find it a bit basic and of a dated design, a bit too much function over form - that might all sound like crap, but just 'cus your stuff is cheap, doesn't mean I should want to abandon all esthetic aspirations with my money saving.

Look at IXON gear, bloody great gear and cheap as chips (makes you look expensive :dodge: ), In fact I might buy some of their cordura stuff for winter. Its just a pity they don't import their leather gear yet!

It actually doesn't come down to just money, I'm not looking for the cheapest bargin I can get, I'm looking for something that fits like an old glove, isn't going to take a year to brake in, isn't so heavy I'll never wear it, has looks and design that I can live with everyday and that certain indefinable quality that make you go "thats the jacket for me".....

TonyB
25th November 2006, 17:15
Ahhhhh KiwiBiker. Where else in the world could you publicly accuse a manufacturer of having a crap product and not be sued?
Quasi, you must have a whole lot of patience!

Quasievil
26th November 2006, 09:44
Ahhhhh KiwiBiker. Where else in the world could you publicly accuse a manufacturer of having a crap product and not be sued?
Quasi, you must have a whole lot of patience!

I know, I dont bother sometimes, its just to hard !!
Proofs in the pudding anyway. Ive Checked out alot of the other big brands as well and find them full of little cool "form" ideas and crapola on the function areas.
I know what I would rather fall of on.
Here is a pic of our new Vengeance Jacket for your viewing pleasere, nice eh, if a name brand it would be $750 easy, and mine is better quality

dawnrazor
26th November 2006, 15:08
Where else in the world could you publicly accuse a manufacturer of having a crap product and not be sued?

Well pretty much EVERYWHERE its called the free market economy!!

Okay for starters I didn't call them crap and I have the right to judge them under my own esthetical terms, and to that end..they don't do anything for me. SORRY.

dawnrazor
26th November 2006, 15:19
I know, I dont bother sometimes, its just to hard !!

As Quasi has deemed me a lost cause, and not bothered to address any or the questions I posed - I have no other option then to look elsewhere. Which is a pity 'cus I'm now in the market for a jacket, a pair of pants and a pair of gloves!

Lou Girardin
26th November 2006, 15:47
Look at IXON gear, bloody great gear and cheap as chips (makes you look expensive :dodge: ), In fact I might buy some of their cordura stuff for winter. Its just a pity they don't import their leather gear yet!

They do!:yes:

Lou Girardin
26th November 2006, 15:50
. Additionally I would suspect Im the worst brand in the eyes of my competitiors as Im taking them to the fucken cleaners on sales and Im going to continue.
So support the faceless brands if you want and pay moon beams to those that have been creaming it for years or suport me, who will be there on the trackday you come off at and support KB and its members more than I care

If you're gear is so good, and you're selling so much of it, why do you feel the need to bag other brands?

If you knew the value of our Spidi sales, you'd realise you're not in the race.

dawnrazor
26th November 2006, 16:32
They do!:yes:

REALLY - bugger it might be a bit late to be honest, I'll tell you about it later.

The_Dover
26th November 2006, 19:02
I've never bagged your gear you tart, I even told a mate to buy your fuckin gear.

I was taking the piss and I wholeheartedly agree with you about rip off NZ.

Quasievil
26th November 2006, 19:16
I've never bagged your gear you tart, I even told a mate to buy your fuckin gear.

I was taking the piss and I wholeheartedly agree with you about rip off NZ.

never said you did,...........did I ??:gob:

The_Dover
26th November 2006, 19:29
you just deleted a post. why?

Quasievil
26th November 2006, 19:34
you just deleted a post. why?

I was displayng the wrong attitude (Bad habbit of mine), Im going to retype it now.

Quasievil
26th November 2006, 19:55
As Quasi has deemed me a lost cause, and not bothered to address any or the questions I posed - I have no other option then to look elsewhere. Which is a pity 'cus I'm now in the market for a jacket, a pair of pants and a pair of gloves!

No I havent determined you a lost cause at all, as far as a potential sale goes I dont think there is a deal in the wind based on your comments.
My manufacturer Toll make some Vanson as well as Clover models and also toll makes my brand against the specification I demand. As far as designing goes youre right, spidi, Alpine etc etc have the cutting edge for sure but I guess they got the budget and people employed to keep on top of it all, Im just me unfortunetly and as much as I try I dont think Im going to be a style threat to them anytime soon, but however there is a market for lower costs brands, I think at the end of the day its the difference between some bikers having gear and some not. My Vengeance Jacket for example for the same spec and fit would be $750 in a Spidi or Alpinestar, as far as durability goes in a crash they would still perform as good if not better (based on thicker leather in my garments)
We try our best, we use the best we can get , ie 3M thinsulate thermal liners, stretchy mesh, scotchlite, CE hard soft composite armor YKK zips, these things you find in top brands, we use Keprotech in the Vengeance also in non impact areas over the bicep with a Zip flap in it for venting.
The potential stuff you can use is huge but I am the little guy for sure, I am however improving the gear all the time, this is why I go to so many trackdays to see and hear my customers comments.
As for the retailers, I am a threat, no question, so far I have had 5 retailers wanting to stock my brand gear, they mostly knw of it and have seen it, there are alot of bikers wearing it now, so Lou there is no point suggesting Im not a threat because I know the import stats and Im not off the feild, sorry to disappoint you on that, but this is a free market and bikers are done paying OTT prices for gear via the normal distribution channels.

Additionally we are one of the few companies offering desiging and made to measure race suits, we are going to get bigger in this area, for now we have a few suits out there, many having slid down the track and ALL still being used without so much as a tear, ask KickingZebra about manfield, he crashed got up, gear dirty but fine, next race same corner different biker crashed in Alpinestars, leathers rooted !!! so dont go knocking me to much as the proof is in that kinda performance isnt it?
Anyway DawnRazor, if you wanted to look at my gear youre welcome, Im happy to show you and happy for you to try it on, I do this full time now so Im not going to knock a potential sale, I suspect however your not that serious.
Here is a picture of our speedster jacket in ladies cut with QM3003 pants, total cost for the lot is $698.00 less KB discount = $628.20, whats your deal Lou ?????

Scouse
26th November 2006, 20:07
The best thing in that picture is the bike

xwhatsit
26th November 2006, 20:51
Wow, there's a lot of love in this thread, isn't there?

Now I'm no expert on bikes or biker gear, but I have to say that simply due to the support Quasimoto gives to the KB community is worthy of at least having an honest look at his gear.

Granted, there's not the huge range, or the `designer' styling, but I have to say in many cases I prefer the look of some of Quasimoto's jacket styles (in particular the Rapid series) to the Dainese range, which IMHO looks quite garish and over the top. Granted, if you already have some bright-green Kawasaki sports bike or a race-rep machine covered in clashing stickers, that may suit, but I don't think everybody is wanting to stand out like dog's balls when they walk into the Fish and Chip shop to pick up their order.

Maybe Quasi gear doesn't quite suit the garish superbike image that many of the sports riders are looking for, but I for one would rather be wearing his rather more understated gear than nearly all of the other stuff I've seen, and that's not just me shoe-polishing because Quasi has helped me out personally with gear.

My 10c.

dawnrazor
26th November 2006, 21:03
No I havent determined you a lost cause at all, as far as a potential sale goes I dont think there is a deal in the wind based on your comments.

True, but not for those reasons, as it happens.

My manufacturer Toll make some Vanson as well as Clover models and also toll makes my brand against the specification I demand.

Why is this not part of your sales pitch also, its good to know, it gives the consumer confidence - never a bad thing

As far as designing goes youre right, spidi, Alpine etc etc have the cutting edge for sure but I guess they got the budget and people employed to keep on top of it all, Im just me unfortunetly and as much as I try I dont think Im going to be a style threat to them anytime soon, but however there is a market for lower costs brands, I think at the end of the day its the difference between some bikers having gear and some not.

very noble, as I mentioned before there tends to be two price structures and qualities to bike gear in this country, I'm sick of not having an option and being forced to buy tat, so forgive me if I'm a little gun shy

My Vengeance Jacket for example for the same spec and fit would be $750 in a Spidi or Alpinestar,

I thought you said you knew how much your rivals are charging retail, 'cus your about $250 bucks off most stuff I've seen by those particular manufactures recently for sale in NZ

as far as durability goes in a crash they would still perform as good if not better (based on thicker leather in my garments)
We try our best, we use the best we can get , ie 3M thinsulate thermal liners, stretchy mesh, scotchlite, CE hard soft composite armor YKK zips, these things you find in top brands, we use Keprotech in the Vengeance also in non impact areas over the bicep with a Zip flap in it for venting.
The potential stuff you can use is huge but I am the little guy for sure, I am however improving the gear all the time, this is why I go to so many trackdays to see and hear my customers comments.

never under question

As for the retailers, I am a threat, no question, so far I have had 5 retailers wanting to stock my brand gear, they mostly knw of it and have seen it, there are alot of bikers wearing it now, so Lou there is no point suggesting Im not a threat because I know the import stats and Im not off the feild, sorry to disappoint you on that, but this is a free market and bikers are done paying OTT prices for gear via the normal distribution channels.

a free market, so we are free to have opinions as well, yes?

Additionally we are one of the few companies offering desiging and made to measure race suits, we are going to get bigger in this area, for now we have a few suits out there, many having slid down the track and ALL still being used without so much as a tear, ask KickingZebra about manfield, he crashed got up, gear dirty but fine, next race same corner different biker crashed in Alpinestars, leathers rooted !!! so dont go knocking me to much as the proof is in that kinda performance isnt it?

This is sounding more like a sales pitch the further we go along

Anyway DawnRazor, if you wanted to look at my gear youre welcome, Im happy to show you and happy for you to try it on, I do this full time now so Im not going to knock a potential sale, I suspect however your not that serious.
Here is a picture of our speedster jacket in ladies cut with QM3003 pants, total cost for the lot is $698.00 less KB discount = $628.20, whats your deal Lou ?????

Here where you just fucked up ROYALLY my son, you have just shown how uninterested you are in selling me anything, 'cus you have already decided I'm not a punter.....You don't even have the commonsense to know as much about your clients as possible before making your sales pitch....I"M A FUCKING BLOKE YA TIT, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU SHOWING ME WOMENS LEATHERS FOR - THATS JUST UNBELIEVABLY IGNORANT ON YOUR BEHALF.

Particularly seeing as I will be looking to get my missus some gear at some stage for the occassional pillion adventure and I'm sorry to say it but your stuff kinda fits that bill...WELL IT USED TO.

Good effort though

Titanium
26th November 2006, 21:19
Here where you just fucked up ROYALLY my son, you have just shown how uninterested you are in selling me anything, 'cus you have already decided I'm not a punter.....You don't even have the commonsense to know as much about your clients as possible before making your sales pitch....I"M A FUCKING BLOKE YA TIT, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU SHOWING ME WOMENS LEATHERS FOR - THATS JUST UNBELIEVABLY IGNORANT ON YOUR BEHALF.

Particularly seeing as I will be looking to get my missus some gear at some stage for the occassional pillion adventure and I'm sorry to say it but your stuff kinda fits that bill...WELL IT USED TO.

Good effort though

Cause you are bitchin like a woman? I am picking ....... you sit down to pi$$

If you aint buying / wearing Quasi leathers, you either paid to much, just looking to look good on your bike or are just a brand name chaser. You buy the big named brands you are paying for the name, not quality, you pay for their advertising, their sponsored riders.

dawnrazor
26th November 2006, 21:21
As I alluded to above I have sorted myself out in the biker gear department. A top notch deal, got a jacket, pants, gloves and back protector all for the price of what one jacket would cost in a bike shop.

I will give out the details later when I have the stuff and I can advise on ever step of the process.

dawnrazor
26th November 2006, 21:27
Cause you are bitchin like a woman? I am picking ....... you sit down to pi$$

well thats an enlightened position, I'm sure all the women here will respect you for that one.

If you aint buying / wearing Quasi leathers, you either paid to much, just looking to look good on your bike or are just a brand name chaser. You buy the big named brands you are paying for the name, not quality, you pay for their advertising, their sponsored riders.

Great another happy customer, what you want a medal - just 'cus your right doesn't mean I'm wrong and vice versa........back in your box bosco

Titanium
26th November 2006, 21:31
well thats an enlightened position, I'm sure all the women here will respect you for that one.

Great another happy customer, what you want a medal - just 'cus your right doesn't mean I'm wrong and vice versa........back in your box bosco

Sounds like ya don't need any help / listen to any advice ....

Go buy your jacket kid.

dawnrazor
27th November 2006, 09:33
Sounds like ya don't need any help / listen to any advice ....

Go buy your jacket kid.

thanks Dad

dawnrazor
27th November 2006, 09:35
thanks for the red rep as well quasievel.....your right I am an egg...

dawnrazor
27th November 2006, 10:12
Formal request to the MODS -

can you please remove this thread to PD - it has been taken off topic by individuals including myself and turned into the antithesis of what I intended from my original post. I had hoped to promote a dissussion about the merits of various biker clothing brands and try to get a feel for what the average KB member rated etc. That has been lost completely now and been replaced with neanderthal comments and self promotion, fand finally deteriorated into name calling. It has turned into something sad and regrettful, and I will take full responsibility for heading it down this road, it was never my intention to have a slanging match with anyone, its not normally the way I like to communnicate - but from the get go that civility was never an option, and when feathers are ruffled...

anyway chuck this shit out it hasn't helped me at all...or anyone else for that matter

Quasievil
27th November 2006, 10:18
Formal request to the MODS -

can you please remove this thread to PD - it has been taken off topic by individuals including myself and turned into the antithesis of what I intended from my original post. I had hoped to promote a dissussion about the merits of various biker clothing brands and try to get a feel for what the average KB member rated etc. That has been lost completely now and been replaced with neanderthal comments and self promotion, fand finally deteriorated into name calling. It has turned into something sad and regrettful, and I will take full responsibility for heading it down this road, it was never my intention to have a slanging match with anyone, its not normally the way I like to communnicate - but from the get go that civility was never an option, and when feathers are ruffled...

anyway chuck this shit out it hasn't helped me at all...or anyone else for that matter

Nah it should stand to highlight what a noob you are, you asked questions and I answered them. then you got all wanky cause I posted a picture of a womans jacket.
You are representative of the New KB, ie you fucked it

The Stranger
27th November 2006, 10:45
Price and brand name don't appear to be a good guide.
On a recent trip one guy binned in his new very expensive leathers and ripped both arms. My el cheapo (cost anyway) Quasi leathers have been down too many times to mention and have no rips.

We compared the weight of the expensive jacket to mine. The Quasi jacket was about twice the weight. Ok, not necessarily a good comparison as this does not account for quality. Should be noted too the other one was larger.

I have had some stitching replaced in an area where I slid along the track at taupo. This did not yeild on the day and it wasn't till some months later I noticed one row of stitching had worn. It should be noted that during the slide the leather did scorch so there really was some friction there.

I still wear them now and quite frankly wouldn't be keen to wear anything else.
Why?
Well, how do you really know how your gear will stand up in a bin? You put your money down and you take your chances. With mine, I already know they will take it. It comes down to faith vs knowledge. I'm an athiest.

That said, sure I am biased from my experiences. If you want unbiased advice the woman at Motorcycle Safety Wear is pretty bloody switched on, she has probably repaired more leathers than anyone else in the country and knows what works and what doesn't in an accident.

The_Dover
27th November 2006, 10:52
I've got to say that having seen quasi's gear and compared it the expensive shit that is available in NZ it appears to be great value for money.

I bought my gear in the UK for a great price before I joined KB and before Quasi started his business and quite honestly if I hadn't then I'd probably be sporting his stuff now.

I know a few of my riding buddies have bought it and been more than happy with it, and so far I think most of the useless tossers have crash tested it too!!

The only thing I've got to say thought Quasi is that you need to seperate your business persona from your online one a bit sometimes, I know I'm a cunt but I'm not trying to build a business with my profile.

And if people are trying to retail your gear why aren't you going for it? I mean, even if they were tacking a mark up on to it then it's still gonna reach a wider demographic than it currently is?

Bytor
27th November 2006, 11:13
check out http://www.rawland.co.uk/

Got mine last year in the UK, triple stitching and good quality hide. Interestingly they are prob similar size to Quasie and shows how the small guys can take on the bigger boys with an equal or better product.

onearmedbandit
27th November 2006, 11:25
Well I just paid a lot of hard earned dollars (actually insurance $$) to buy a range of Alpinestar gear, MX1 jacket, pants and gloves. I know I paid 3x the amount it probably would've cost me to buy either Quasie or TonyB's gear, but it's my money and I'll spend it how I feel. So call me a brand-chaser or whatever, I couldn't give a fuck. Ever since I was young I appreciated gear like A-star etc because of the racing image, style, and performance. Now I'm not a wide-eyed kid with empty pockets, why should I not live that dream. I'm not ever going to be a sponsered racer on the MotoGP grid with free gear being thrown at me left right and centre, so if I have to buy it I will.

You'll know its me when I ride past in my gear, I'll be the one with the huge smile under my (Arai) lid. :bleh: :Pokey:

scumdog
27th November 2006, 11:28
The one thing y'all forgot about was the dire need for ALL motorcycle leathers to have TASSLES to be any good.

It's all about styyyle, baby!:rockon:
I bet Quasi could even get a set made for me (Size: semi-rotund) and there's only a 1/3 of a cow extra used in making the tassles.

Been a verrrry enlightening thread.:yes:

Joni
27th November 2006, 11:38
Yup OAB, it all comes down to choice... and everyone has the right to make that choice for themselves.

:sunny:

onearmedbandit
27th November 2006, 11:49
Thanks Joni. No-one should be ragged on because they choose to pay more, less or whatever to get a product THEY are happy with.

scumdog
27th November 2006, 11:53
Thanks Joni. No-one should be ragged on because they choose to pay more, less or whatever to get a product THEY are happy with.

You're not into selling stuff by any chance are you?:nya: :laugh: :dodge:

Joni
27th November 2006, 11:53
OAB: preach brother preach :D

So come on guys - Quasi's gear is good, Alpine is good, in fact all gear has its place... peoples choice, taste and budget will determine what they go for.

dawnrazor
27th November 2006, 12:01
Nah it should stand to highlight what a noob you are, you asked questions and I answered them. then you got all wanky cause I posted a picture of a womans jacket.

Come off it, you knew what you where doing when you did that, at least admit that much

You are representative of the New KB, ie you fucked it

No, as far as I've seen it was fucked long before I came along.

Quasi, for whatever reason you took this thread as some sort of personal attack on your product range even before you posted in it, never the case by the way. You then blaze in with the big sell and more or less pre-empt a negative reaction with your comment about telling Dover and Co. that they are cheeky pricks, for the comments they would post in reply. Which makes me suspect you've had that reaction before, more then once - am I responsible for that as well.

I was never looking for a sales pitch, if I wanted that I can walk into any good bike store in town and be given the full monty on whats new and great etc. and with the added bonus of actually being able to try stuff on at the same time.

I posted this thread looking for testamonials from punters not sellers, not to be obvious but OF COURSE YOUR GEAR IS GREAT, your hardly going to say otherwise are you, its how you pay the bills....so I can be forgiven for taking your passion for your product with a pinch of salt. The testimonials of CaN and others who have leapt to your defence carry more weight then any of your sales bluster, you should have let your customers speak for themselves, you might have had another sale by now.

For all you know, with the proper encouragement I might have been able to get past first impressions or pictures on a website and gone and seen your man in auckland, but you seriously rooted any chance of that so early on. I DIDN'T WANT TO BE SOLD TO, which you would have realised if you had paid attention to my initial request at the start of this thread.

(LAY OFF THE HARD SELL, IF YOUR SHITS THAT GOOD YOU DON'T NEED IT)

So where are we now, all you can do now is name call, what the hell is wrong with you. I'll admit I may have been a little harsh in some of my comments and publically said that I didn't like the look of your gear, (I never mentioned or refered to anything about their quality, safety, build or integrity) but that doesn't explain your reaction and actions here.

Fact of the matter is this Quasi, you have no time for me (and others on this site no doubt) and probably never had and you probably only see this thread as a vehicle to pedal your wares.

You might make a few more sales out of it, but I'm not sure you have done anything for your professionalism. Dover is absolutely right, you do need to seperate church and state - its okay for me to be a prick or an egg or a noob or whatever the else you care to call me - I ain't making my living selling stuff to people like the guys and gals on this site, you are and right now your not doing yourself any favours

The Stranger
27th November 2006, 12:10

No one's being "ragged on" because of their choice. Dawnrazor asked for opinions and he got em is all, as I see it. He didn't seem to like the answers, but he did ask.

I don't spend money on bling, I see it as a total waste of money. Would rather spend money on stuff that makes the bike behave better, shit I don't even clean it, unless necessary for maintenence. surely we are all big enough to accept that my choices are not yours and vice versa.

Flyingpony
27th November 2006, 12:21
One brand neutral question from me:

Noticed on several brands how tight their jackets sleeves are at the wrists. How is one supposed to put their jacket sleeve over the top of their gloves so when you're caught out in the rain riding a sport bike, the water doesn't flow into your glove?

dawnrazor
27th November 2006, 12:22
No one's being "ragged on" because of their choice.
I don't feel ragged on - in fact I think its been fair and even handed

Dawnrazor asked for opinions and he got em is all, as I see it. He didn't seem to like the answers, but he did ask.

Nothing wrong with the answers, it was the extras that I didn't ask for that were uncalled for.

dawnrazor
27th November 2006, 12:23
One question from me:

Seeing how tight the leather jackets sleeves are at the wrists, how is one supposed to put their jacket sleeve over the top of their gloves so when you're caught out in the rain riding a sport bike, the water doesn't flow into your glove?

not being funny but I wondered the same thing at the weekend, get short gloves?

Cajun
27th November 2006, 12:25
One question from me:

Seeing how tight the leather jackets sleeves are at the wrists, how is one supposed to put their jacket sleeve over the top of their gloves so when you're caught out in the rain riding a sport bike, the water doesn't flow into your glove?

Most of time jackets have butttons and zips so means you can slip gloves undeath. but if your leather gloves are enything like some around, you have no hell of putting them inside leathers.

dawnrazor
27th November 2006, 12:26
So come on guys - Quasi's gear is good, Alpine is good, in fact all gear has its place... peoples choice, taste and budget will determine what they go for.

I never said Quasi's stuff wasn't good, I just said I didn't like the look of it.

right I've had enough of this

onearmedbandit
27th November 2006, 12:46
No one's being "ragged on" because of their choice. Dawnrazor asked for opinions and he got em is all, as I see it. He didn't seem to like the answers, but he did ask.

I wasn't specifically talking about Dawnrazors situation, but there is a feeling here that people who pay for brand name leathers would be better off to buy something like Quasies gear. All I'm saying is that if one can afford to buy what one wants then that is all that matters.

A Toyota Corolla will get you from A to B safely in comfort, but who wouldn't rather take the Porsche? (ignoring the speed and handling because the speed limit on open roads is 100km/h and a Corolla will do that).

The Stranger
27th November 2006, 13:18
I wasn't specifically talking about Dawnrazors situation, but there is a feeling here that people who pay for brand name leathers would be better off to buy something like Quasies gear. All I'm saying is that if one can afford to buy what one wants then that is all that matters.

Your last sentence is where we must agree to disagree.
Personally affordability is of less import to me than performance.

Joni
27th November 2006, 13:20
I never said Quasi's stuff wasn't good, I just said I didn't like the look of it.And like OAB, I was not refering to you directly...

I was just talking about gear in general.

MSTRS
27th November 2006, 13:25
Your last sentence is where we must agree to disagree.
Personally affordability is of less import to me than performance.

Except where the product looks naff!! And Quasi's gear is not in that category.
I'd also prefer to protect my skin and the contents of my wallet. It's a no-brainer.

onearmedbandit
27th November 2006, 13:49
IMHO Quasies gear does not look as good as A-stars etc. See, it's all about perspective isn't it?

The_Dover
27th November 2006, 13:50
i dunno, have you seen how gay boomer looks?

McJim
27th November 2006, 13:54

I though he only looked gay coz he copied your style of haircut (shave a bit, leave a bit etc...) had nothing to do with his choice of attire.

onearmedbandit
27th November 2006, 17:34
You're not into selling stuff by any chance are you?:nya: :laugh: :dodge:

Why, you looking?

dawnrazor
27th November 2006, 18:07
And like OAB, I was not refering to you directly...

I was just talking about gear in general.

I realise that now, I was just a little testy earlier (pun intended - probably plenty of people thinking I'm a pain in the left nut!) LOL

Quasievil
27th November 2006, 18:08
I realise that now, I was just a little testy earlier (pun intended - probably plenty of people thinking I'm a pain in the left nut!) LOL

Youve been testy all day !!
you need to get on your bike and go for that monday night ride

Quasievil
27th November 2006, 18:10
Well I just paid a lot of hard earned dollars (actually insurance $$) to buy a range of Alpinestar gear, MX1 jacket, pants and gloves. I know I paid 3x the amount it probably would've cost me to buy either Quasie or TonyB's gear, but it's my money and I'll spend it how I feel. So call me a brand-chaser or whatever, I couldn't give a fuck. Ever since I was young I appreciated gear like A-star etc because of the racing image, style, and performance. Now I'm not a wide-eyed kid with empty pockets, why should I not live that dream. I'm not ever going to be a sponsered racer on the MotoGP grid with free gear being thrown at me left right and centre, so if I have to buy it I will.

You'll know its me when I ride past in my gear, I'll be the one with the huge smile under my (Arai) lid. :bleh: :Pokey:

Nice one mate, if you need another individual glove let me know I will sell you one only anytime two are $89 ,so one is er um $44.50 less KB 10% discount = $40.05 !!
:yes:

dawnrazor
27th November 2006, 18:18
Youve been testy all day !!
you need to get on your bike and go for that monday night ride

are you suggesting I take my aggression / frustrations out on the open road - I can think of several reasons why thats not a great idea right now, not least of which would be the lack of decent leathers and gloves......

its official this thread has just turned into farce....LOL

onearmedbandit
27th November 2006, 18:25
Nice one mate, if you need another individual glove let me know I will sell you one only anytime two are $89 ,so one is er um $44.50 less KB 10% discount = $40.05 !!
:yes:

Still got that glove too mate, it stood up well in the crash I must say. And if it wasn't for the back protector I got off you either I most probably would be typing this from a laptop in hospital. I have no problem with any of your gear, it obviously fills a gap in the marketplace quite well. But seeing as I bought my last A-star suit in Japan for a great deal, and insurance replaced it's full value -10% it was a no brainer for me to get another suit I like. If however I was spending my own money, well the way costs have balloned out on the bike alone I definitely would be contacting both you and TonyB.

Quasievil
27th November 2006, 18:26
are you suggesting I take my aggression / frustrations out on the open road - I can think of several reasons why thats not a great idea right now, not least of which would be the lack of decent leathers and gloves......

its official this thread has just turned into farce....LOL

Yeah I am, it makes me calm if Im having a crapola day, though in saying that choose your roads wisely, thought you got leathers? tell you what ride here I will kit you out and if you dont like them send em back, and I will give you a crate of beer as a thank you for having a go ?????

SixPackBack
27th November 2006, 18:29

Thats the haircut not the leathers.

onearmedbandit
27th November 2006, 18:33
Yeah I am, it makes me calm if Im having a crapola day, though in saying that choose your roads wisely, thought you got leathers? tell you what ride here I will kit you out and if you dont like them send em back, and I will give you a crate of beer as a thank you for having a go ?????

Well that's an offer you can't go past!

dawnrazor
27th November 2006, 21:05
Quasi I had a reply all typed out and then telecom pulled my service, so sorry for the late reply, I'll try to remember the best of it!!!.

Yeah I am, it makes me calm if Im having a crapola day, though in saying that choose your roads wisely, thought you got leathers?

Nope have an old rev'it I got in london about a decade ago, and some cordura Spidi stuff Lou got me - better for winter and about town really.

tell you what ride here I will kit you out and if you dont like them send em back, and I will give you a crate of beer as a thank you for having a go ?????

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate the olive branch. Don't take this the wrong way but I've been seeing other suppliers and have sorted something out, but if that falls through then I will certainly give you a shout (bad timing I guess). I will however send my missus to see you next time shes in hamilton so you can fit her out, in some new gear. If we ever meet I'll buy you the beer, hows that LOL.

The Stranger
27th November 2006, 22:01
Thanks for the offer, I appreciate the olive branch. Don't take this the wrong way but I've been seeing other suppliers and have sorted something out, but if that falls through then I will certainly give you a shout (bad timing I guess). I will however send my missus to see you next time shes in hamilton so you can fit her out, in some new gear. If we ever meet I'll buy you the beer, hows that LOL.

Aww how sweet, you guys kissed and made up.
I got the warm fuzzies now.

dawnrazor
27th November 2006, 22:16
I got the warm fuzzies now.

I'd get that seen to if I was you

Guitana
19th January 2007, 10:34
[QUOTE=dawnrazor;834365]

So in your own humble opinions, who makes the best leathers, who else should I look at?

I do want something reasonably sport biased, so none of that harley gubbins with tassles and little pockets for chewin' tabaccie!!!

Try D-vice if your'e feeling a little naughty great range of riding leathers in store!!!!

Enjoy the freefall while it lasts the next bits gonna hurt!!!

Dai
19th January 2007, 11:29

Gericke kit is bloody wonderful gear and it is a positively major shame that it cant be bought over here.

Oh my god I just agreed with Dover, quick someone ...... SHOOT ME.:dodge:

0arbreaka
22nd January 2007, 15:40
Im happy with my alpinestars setup, reso comfortable even when its not worn in.

Finn
22nd January 2007, 15:50

You reckon? Some fag in my office has a set that make him look like a complete gimp. Gericke, a German make translates to geriatric. It's an old mans suit.

SixPackBack
22nd January 2007, 17:13
Gericke kit is bloody wonderful gear and it is a positively major shame that it cant be bought over here.

Oh my god I just agreed with Dover, quick someone ...... SHOOT ME.:dodge:

The Gericke armour dug a sizeable hole in The_Dover's arm at his infamous bin.

Was not pretty.:shutup: