PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle simulator due in Honda dealerships

jeremysprite
23rd November 2006, 15:38
November 28, 2005
Motorbike simulator due in dealerships
Honda has developed a motorbike simulator to help train new riders and says every one of its dealerships will be equipped with the device within the next three years.

The Motorcycle Rider Trainer (MRT) uses similar technology to the flight simulators used to train pilots, plus all the controls found on a real motorbike.

A screen shows a variety of different conditions and situations to help new riders master basic skills before taking to the road.

The MRT will be trialled next year.

McJim
23rd November 2006, 15:39
Can that setup be bought to play TT?

Morcs
23rd November 2006, 15:48
that would be frickin awesome :)

if blue wing honda are anything like honda marine, then technology like this probably wont get here for about 3 years after they say it will, the first shipment will have to be sent back as they are broken... and they will cost a gizzilion dollars for the dealers. THis happened with the new portable outboard diagnostic computers, now there is only one working one in the country, and its constantly being sent from dealer to dealer...an utter pain in the arse..

So dont get ya hopes up!

McJim
23rd November 2006, 16:42
These official simulators are way too pretentious and expensive anyway - I learned to drive playing Gran Tourismo (the original one) with a steering wheel and pedal combo and a seat ripped from an old VW back in Scotland.

No reason why TT couldn't be slammed on to a PS2 and the controllers wired up to an old bike frame?

jeremysprite
23rd November 2006, 16:49
Now you've got me thinking... convert the old RS125 into a TT control???
That'd be the coolest ps2 on the block...

jonbuoy
23rd November 2006, 17:34
Sega used to have a good version of the IOM TT, it was on a gimbal and you had to lean as you do on a real bike.

TonyB
23rd November 2006, 17:52
I wonder if it will be realistic- ie, will countersteering work....

El Dopa
23rd November 2006, 18:36
I wonder if it will be realistic- ie, will countersteering work....

The biggest problem I can see with making a 'realistic' bike simulator is that when you go around a corner in the real world, you lean into it. The bike doesn't fall over (and you don't fall off) because the centrifugal force tries to push you back upright.

All of this works because you and the bike are actually travelling in a curve, so as to generate the centrifugal force.

How do you reproduce that on a static simulator?

McJim
23rd November 2006, 19:26
The biggest problem I can see with making a 'realistic' bike simulator is that when you go around a corner in the real world, you lean into it. The bike doesn't fall over (and you don't fall off) because the centrifugal force tries to push you back upright.

All of this works because you and the bike are actually travelling in a curve, so as to generate the centrifugal force.

How do you reproduce that on a static simulator?

I would suggest a spinning disc at the front to simulate a front wheel...with enough mass it should tilt the bike in the same way as a bike if you countersteer...as I understand it the lean makes the bike turn but the countersteering is what makes you lean. I could be wrong.

You would then need some sort of lateral spring set up to make compensate for the riders weight and bring you back to the upright when you stop leaning.....Hmmmm - we need a garage and some bits and pieces ...I feel a project coming on...

Finn
23rd November 2006, 19:29
I hope they're insured. Dover will write them off.

Shadows
23rd November 2006, 23:04
As soon as you lean into the first corner the fucking monitor will fall off!

TerminalAddict
24th November 2006, 07:41
lots of velcro

Coyote
24th November 2006, 07:58
How realistic is the world around your bike in the sim? Are all the cars doing 50 like in a perfect world or are they all trying to knock you off?

TerminalAddict
24th November 2006, 08:19
does the viewport on screen change when doing a stoppie I wonder

El Dopa
24th November 2006, 18:46
I would suggest a spinning disc at the front to simulate a front wheel...with enough mass it should tilt the bike in the same way as a bike if you countersteer...as I understand it the lean makes the bike turn but the countersteering is what makes you lean. I could be wrong.

You would then need some sort of lateral spring set up to make compensate for the riders weight and bring you back to the upright when you stop leaning.....Hmmmm - we need a garage and some bits and pieces ...I feel a project coming on...

But the forces act on the rider as well, so when you're riding around a corner 'real world', you can rely on the centrifugal force to balance gravity. Try that on a simulator, and you'd fall off.

You'd need some sort of straps attached to the rider as well to make it work.

marty
24th November 2006, 20:18
fuck you guys need to get a life. go and ride your bikes ffs

McJim
24th November 2006, 20:20
But the forces act on the rider as well, so when you're riding around a corner 'real world', you can rely on the centrifugal force to balance gravity. Try that on a simulator, and you'd fall off.

You'd need some sort of straps attached to the rider as well to make it work.

Not bad - we got to post 15 before you couldn't resist mentioning a "Strap on"

how are you by the way? Haven't seen you since Taupo.

McJim
24th November 2006, 20:25

I don't know about the other guys but the law states that I'm not allowed the kind of bike that regularly appears on TT - if you want to gimme a loan of something with more than 32 bhp Marty then I'm all ears...until then I shall plot to get my jollies electronically!

Brian d marge
24th November 2006, 20:46
that would be frickin awesome :)

if blue wing honda are anything like honda marine, then technology like this probably wont get here for about 3 years after they say it will, the first shipment will have to be sent back as they are broken... and they will cost a gizzilion dollars for the dealers. THis happened with the new portable outboard diagnostic computers, now there is only one working one in the country, and its constantly being sent from dealer to dealer...an utter pain in the arse..

So dont get ya hopes up! word is that Honda motorcycle and Honda power products are going to become one dept ,,, not sure how the outboard motors fit in ,,,

But had a go on the simulator ... boooorrrrrring x 2 ,,couldnt even do a decent stoppy on it !!!... Now if it was motogp and with decent graphics !!!!

maybe

Stephen

El Dopa
25th November 2006, 17:10

Well, weekdays are for working and talking shit on KB, last night was dinking night, today was family time, and tomorrow is bike day.

What's your excuse for coming on here and pissing on our parade instead of being out and about on two wheels?

Not bad - we got to post 15 before you couldn't resist mentioning a "Strap on"

how are you by the way? Haven't seen you since Taupo.

Good. I'll be at the ride next weekend, with a bit of luck. See you there.