PDA

View Full Version : Blackbird tyres Michelin vs Metzeler?????

Shane
23rd November 2006, 20:07
I have had my bike since May 2006, I purcahsed it new and it came fitted with Dunlop Sportmax D205 tyres. I only do about 6000km a year and am happy replacing tyres yearly. I wouldn't say I was a sedate rider nor do I flat out but I ride resonably hard. The standard rear has let go on me a few times so i want to change them! I have heard that Metzeler M3, or Michelin Pilot Powers or Pilot Sports would be good? Is there any other bird riders or other heavy sports bike owners that can make any suggestions?

MSTRS
23rd November 2006, 20:43
I liked the Metzler Z6 (RoadTech) on my GSXR1100. Never had a moment with them. If that helps

Shane
23rd November 2006, 20:48
Thanks but I am not that kean dont really like the look of the trad pattern, and i think the powers or M3 are meant tobe stickier?

T.I.E
23rd November 2006, 20:51
dam they are good, great reviews up north from many riders.
definately something to think about. but have to say im not sure about the heavy bikes. medium and powerfull bikes they are sticking dam well in some serious conditions.

Blackbird
23rd November 2006, 20:55
The Avon Azaro "B" spec were specially developed for heavier hyperbikes like the Blackbird. They're a good compromise between adhesion and life. I get between 6000 & 8000 km from a set depending on how I ride. I've been extremely pleased in both wet and dry conditions and on my 3rd set. It's what most of the Blackbird boys from the UK BIRD website use. If you can afford to wait until mid-December, the successor to the Azaro, the Avon Storm comes into the country. See post: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=37509. Indications are that it's a brilliant tyre and I'm going to fit a set for out "Birds Galore" south island tour.

There are other top tyres out there like the Z6 but I have no personal experience with them.

Oh, a warm welcome to a gentleman of taste!:Punk:

Cheers

Geoff

MSTRS
23rd November 2006, 20:57
Thanks but I am not that kean dont really like the look of the trad pattern, and i think the powers or M3 are meant tobe stickier?

So what if you don't like the look of the tread pattern? If they don't let go, then what else is important? Stickier tyres just get ripped to shreds by the heavy grunters.

SixPackBack
23rd November 2006, 20:59
An M3 front tyre will tear its self to shreds on coarse chip and spirited riding. The rear will struggle to warm up in the winter. Worse tyres I ever purchased.
Diablo is the name your looking for.

Shane
23rd November 2006, 21:00
didnt like avons on my CBR1000F The usa Bird org seem to like the Michelins!

Blackbird
23rd November 2006, 21:04
didnt like avons on my CBR1000F The usa Bird org seem to like the Michelins!

I thought the early Avons were crap too, but they've changed out of sight. I push them fairly hard too. Fitting the 6mm ride height spacer on the shock has reduced front tyre sidewall wear from countersteering too. Don't need to do it quite so hard now as it turns in more easily.

FROSTY
23rd November 2006, 21:10
my opinion --the michellens are the bizzo--right up to the 3/4 worn stage --then they be shite---my opinion only

MSTRS
25th November 2006, 10:39
Just an observation here....guy I was following last w/e has a BB running on Macadam 100x b+f. I couldn't catch him and I wasn't that slow

cowpoos
25th November 2006, 11:21
An M3 front tyre will tear its self to shreds on coarse chip and spirited riding. The rear will struggle to warm up in the winter. Worse tyres I ever purchased.
Diablo is the name your looking for.
sounds like there is something not right with your suspension bro....that ain't a tyre issuse if its tearing up....I know a national level supersports rider that tryed M3's with the idea of using them as a intermediate in the winter months...was lapping only half to a full second slower a lap...and had no complaints other than the slightly lower outright grip level compared to the rachtechs he raced on....

Hitcher
25th November 2006, 16:38
I'd question why you're not running sport touring tyres on your Bird, unless you do a lot of track days. I can't see the point in having "high performance" tyres that you never use to full potential and which last for about 6,000km. I'd recommend the Metzeler Roadtec Z6s. I am less-than-whelmed by the Conti Road Attacks, and will be trying the new Avon Storm STs at my next change in about 4,500km time.

jimbo600
25th November 2006, 16:56
Get the M3's mate.

SixPackBack
25th November 2006, 17:28
sounds like there is something not right with your suspension bro....that ain't a tyre issuse if its tearing up....I know a national level supersports rider that tryed M3's with the idea of using them as a intermediate in the winter months...was lapping only half to a full second slower a lap...and had no complaints other than the slightly lower outright grip level compared to the rachtechs he raced on....

The Pilots before and Diablo's afterwards lasted approximatley 3 times as long and the M3 front wore out before the rear???...go figure.

Shane
25th November 2006, 20:13
Have decided to try pilot sports will let you know what I think! Thanks to all those that have replied to my question.

Cheers Shane

Nonbeliever
25th November 2006, 21:03
Pilot sports?? Bad choice...especially the rear

If you want to run sports, then at least run a pilot road rear with a sport front. The pilot sport rears are a shit tyre. Crap in the wet, on a bike like a bbird you'll screw the middle out of it before you have time to decide you've made the wrong choice.

The pilot road will last twice as long, hold it's profile ,be FAR better in the wet and believe it or not give more grip in the dry aswell.

Hitcher
26th November 2006, 13:17
The usa Bird org seem to like the Michelins!

Yes, but they're Merkins -- probably never seen a corner, ever. Lots of long straight riding on cement roads. A Blackbird is not a sportsbike, and I think you're wasting your money with Pilot Powers, unless you're only interested in fashion...

Pixie
27th November 2006, 09:14

Buy some semi slick Shinkos then.
You can admire the tread as you wait for the ambulance to arrive