PDA

View Full Version : Pillion footpeg mod. Fabricator required.

ceebie13
24th November 2006, 09:47
Does anyone know of a machinist or fabricator in the Wellington area who could make some modified pillion pegs similar to the photo attached.
Mrs Ceebie is in need of a little less cramping in the leg department so I'm looking to lower the pegs as much as the muffler will allow.

Have already tried Damon at Cycle Works in Taita but he didnt show much enthusiasm for doing the job so I thought I'd shop around.

vifferman
24th November 2006, 10:00
Have you tried looking at Buell footpegs? They look very similar to those, but with slightly less offset. And they're (surprisingly, seeing they're HD's in disguise) very cheap.
I know that they fit several Honda models...

ceebie13
24th November 2006, 11:01
Have you tried looking at Buell footpegs? They look very similar to those, but with slightly less offset. And they're (surprisingly, seeing they're HD's in disguise) very cheap.
I know that they fit several Honda models...

An interesting idea Viff. Cheers. Will check it out.

F5 Dave
28th November 2006, 10:39
Pity the mounts are made like that, I made some simple plates to move the pillion pegs down, (and forward a bit) that did move the pipe that needed to be sectioned (which Damon quite happily did). But those special pegs need to be cast or machined from scratch. It is pretty hard to weld ally footpegs as they are made of casting material.

But here is the thing. My wif’ was still getting cramps, although the position was better no doubt. Seemed as roomy as the rider pegs. Hmm. . .

The quantum change was I took her leathers to Dusty (Leda) & got a stretch panel sewn into replace the back of the knee area which was bunching up & cutting off circulation. Much betterer.

Blackbird
28th November 2006, 11:25
Does anyone know of a machinist or fabricator in the Wellington area who could make some modified pillion pegs similar to the photo attached.
Mrs Ceebie is in need of a little less cramping in the leg department so I'm looking to lower the pegs as much as the muffler will allow.

Have already tried Damon at Cycle Works in Taita but he didnt show much enthusiasm for doing the job so I thought I'd shop around.

Richard, If the Buell option that Ian suggested works and you still need a bit more length, if you do go for a custom Rider seat at any time, they'll raise the height of the pillion for you. They raised the rear of the bird seat about 20mm for me whilst it was being rebuilt. Makes a heck of a difference to my wife's comfort.

ceebie13
28th November 2006, 22:05
Richard, If the Buell option that Ian suggested works and you still need a bit more length, if you do go for a custom Rider seat at any time, they'll raise the height of the pillion for you. They raised the rear of the bird seat about 20mm for me whilst it was being rebuilt. Makes a heck of a difference to my wife's comfort.

Oooh! More interesting options. Thanks to all who have contributed. I looked at it again today. Damon's reluctance to do the job was because he was convinced that it wouldn't work because Lyn's foot will rest on the silencer...er, sorry, muffler and melt her boot.
I daresay he is right so I might be in for shunting the muffler backwards (rather than down - too much hassle) by about two inches to create just that little more gap between it and her foot. She hasn't got giant plates anyway...quite tiny infact!
You'll no doubt witness the resulting mod, Geoff, in January.

Blackbird
29th November 2006, 08:45
Just out of interest, I recently joined the US Blackbird website and found an interesting post about footpeg mods: http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=36191. Unfortunaterly, it refers to rider pegs but there is some mention of pillion pegs too. Rider pegs may be of interest to me because I've got slightly dodgy knees and in tighter summer leathers, the pressure from the armour coupled with the sporty riding position causes a bit of soreness after a while.

Geoff

vifferman
29th November 2006, 09:06
Rider pegs may be of interest to me because I've got slightly dodgy knees and in tighter summer leathers, the pressure from the armour coupled with the sporty riding position causes a bit of soreness after a while.
Geoff, I was the same. My leathers were already a snug fit, and I added Knox armour to the knees after a couple of crashes a few years back. The result was that after an hour on the open road, I was in some pain, especially on the 'Storm I used to have.
The fix? New pants! I've now got some Spidi Gran Turismo [sic] and they're much, much better. In fact, a few months ago, I wore the leather pants for a short trip (20 minutes!) and wondered how the hell I ever put up with them. I've kept them now for TheDave to wear when he commutes to work with me (he has much skinner legs).

Anyway - here's the link to the Buell peg mod; I don't guarantee it will work on a CB1300 or Blackbird, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised if it does, given the commonality of many Honda parts.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/Buell-Footpegs-Modification-t18932.html

Here's another one:
http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/Buell-Ulysses-Footpeg-Mod-t25536.html

The Stranger
29th November 2006, 09:26

Ok, not Wellington, but F1 engineering in Hamilton does do this sort of thing. Maybe give them a call, he may have done one previously or could measure one up locally.

ceebie13
29th November 2006, 14:04
Guys, there's plenty to mull over here. Thank you for the pointers.
Rich

Blackbird
29th November 2006, 18:37
Anyway - here's the link to the Buell peg mod; I don't guarantee it will work on a CB1300 or Blackbird, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised if it does, given the commonality of many Honda parts.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/Buell-Footpegs-Modification-t18932.html

Here's another one:
http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/Buell-Ulysses-Footpeg-Mod-t25536.html

Many thanks for that Ian - will have a close look before I do anything.

Geoff