PDA

View Full Version : Crater Lakes Adventure Ride

starlic
14th July 2004, 17:01
Is anyone heading up from the Welly region for this adventure ride??

Any chance of a lift with bike / or riding buddys for the ride up there. :whistle:

Looks like a good ride, but its a boring ride up for a solo dr650 on knobblies!!

Jimmy
21st July 2004, 08:33
Sounds good. I am keen to do this ride too, & have a vehicle to get 2 bikes there. Give me your phone or email contact if you haven't yet got a lift & we can discuss a plan. Cheers.

clint640
21st July 2004, 12:02
I'll join you for the last 20 minutes from my place :)

Has anybody been on this ride before? What can I expect? Should I put my knobbliest tyres on or is it likely to be a walk in the park?
As long as there is plenty of :drinknsin afterwards I'll be happy.

Cheers
Clint

Jimmy
22nd July 2004, 17:38
My experience with the Britton rides is that full knobblies mean a much easier and enjoyable adventure ride, given some excellent challenge loops and unforseen changes due to wet weather. The Lakes ride was written up in Kiwi Rider last November - a nine km track to the Tawawera summit, pumice terrain in many areas, and lots of great sounding forest trails. The knobs came into play with the deeply rutted, steep clay sections - a characteristic that I've seen on these adventure trail rides by Mike B.

clint640
23rd July 2004, 18:45
Thanks Jimmy, Forewarned is forearmed :niceone:
We used to thrash our 'ol trailbikes up Tarawera when we wuz kids before it got closed down for all but moneyed tourists on guided trips, It'll be good to do that again. I spose I'll see you guys there, Just look for the orange bike next to the guy doing wheelies on a DR650 :rolleyes:

Cheers
Clint

denill
15th August 2004, 09:44
Hi

Does the Crater Lakes attract many two up entries ??

Jimmy
17th August 2004, 10:50
Hi

Does the Crater Lakes attract many two up entries ??

Referring back to my Kiwi Rider magazine archives, I see that last year there were 150 riders but no mention of how many were pillions. The ride review does say though that a couple did the entire ride on a BMW R100 GS - so are you up for it??

Cheers

denill
17th August 2004, 11:03
Yeah, I'm up for it BUT is Denise??? :blank:

Cheers
Bill

denill
3rd September 2004, 09:15
Posted my entry for the Crater Lakes yesterday.
Mike (Britton) said around 10 or so pillions fronted up last time and no worries.

May catch up with some of you guys??

Cheers
Bill

Jimmy
3rd September 2004, 10:49
Excellent - go Denise!!

Starlic & I will be coming up from Wgtn. We met up last Saturday for a trial run, see if the bikes fit on the ute OK etc. We went up in the Akatarawas from the Maungatukutuku side. Nice & sunny to start with but soon found that the freezing weather down here had left it's mark - snow on the side of the track 10 minutes from the car park! Got up to the top of Rimu Rd and it was snowing full on, with ice formed on the puddles. First time for me riding in & on snow. Completed 2 loops (55 kms) and well satisfied. Funny how no one else was there - we had an entire forest, something like 18,000 hectares, to ourselves. Too cold for some eh?

See ya at the Lake.