PDA

View Full Version : Stiffening Mirrors

mattsdakar
24th November 2006, 20:15
Hi all,
Some advise please, my Dakar's mirrors fold in when travelling above 110kmph, is there a product or method of tightening them up somehow.
The mirrors don't have any screws etc to adjust, I'm sure others have experienced the same problem, what can be done??

Cheers Matt

Hawkeye
24th November 2006, 20:26
Inside the mirror, (behind the glass) there is a nut which you tighten. Try getting the glass out without breaking it and your a better man than me.
I had to get the glass replaced in mine. Because the shop didn't tighten the nut before glueing in the glass. Now everytime I go above 80k, the mirror moves. I've ended up super-glueing it in place. shit that wine I had tonight is good.. had to retype this about 5 times before submitting:drinknsin

Gremlin
25th November 2006, 01:02
stop hitting the cage's mirrors when you split past... :yes:

diggydog
25th November 2006, 06:49
get some new mirrors, expenice.

JimO
25th November 2006, 10:14
viagara in the tank should stiffin things up

Transalper
25th November 2006, 15:52
A bit of a discussion on the topic here (http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/MirrorsFAQ.htm#GS/Dakar%20Mirror%20Problems).
I tend to think i'd just use some tape or RTV/glue myself.

Big Dog
25th November 2006, 23:28
As a temp fix you can buy some narrow cable ties and synch them tight over the ball on the mirror side.

Sounds like a weird fetish but that was the fix I endured on my old RK after an off waiting on new parts.

(the new parts did never arrive before I sold the bike but the cable tie worked well for 11 months before I sold on.)

mattsdakar
26th November 2006, 12:12
Thanks for the advice guys, mirror glass appears glued in as I can't lever out so may have to break glass, will be cheaper to replace glass than buying new mirrors!!

Cheers all

Transalper
26th November 2006, 13:58
If you replace the glass will you get the nice view of the stock stuff or end up with shitty flat glass that gives a super vibration sensitive view also making everything look closer than before and thus less viewing angle???????

Big Dog
27th November 2006, 19:02
Thanks for the advice guys, mirror glass appears glued in as I can't lever out so may have to break glass, will be cheaper to replace glass than buying new mirrors!!

Cheers allIf your sure you can get position right in one go you could always wind in some locktite.
Or remove the whole mirror and arm. pull gently on the mirror and rotate the arm, if you get the leverage right you should be able to "wind in" the concealed nut.
Put the mirror between your knees and turn the arm because you may need to turn a lot to get a result.